The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

GUO

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Toeko

PostSubject: GUO   Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:17 pm

These are pictures of my Wife's Great Unclean one. she is wanting to paint on commission but needs some opinions on her skill level. Let me know what ya think.

-Toeko
Back to top Go down
Citizen_Khaine

PostSubject: Re: GUO   Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:30 pm

That looks very good! High quality!

Very clean (Uhrr.. unclean!) painting, the shading is also very smooth.
Personally, I like my models a bit more highlighted, I think it looks better on the table, but that's also a matter of taste.

How long did it take her to finish a model painted in this high standard?

Cheers
Bernhard
Back to top Go down
Toeko

PostSubject: Re: GUO   Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:34 pm

Neither one of us are exactly sure because she spread it out over a week but both of us agree it wasn't more than a Day worth of painting. so roughly 7-9 hours
Back to top Go down
Citizen_Khaine

PostSubject: Re: GUO   Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:39 pm

That's fast, wish I was that fast!

Do you use some sort of quickshade dip?
Back to top Go down
Toeko

PostSubject: Re: GUO   Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:44 pm

Nope, She Doesn't, we both paint the "hard way" lol, We tried Dip methods and it just wasn't very effective for us. Granted I haven't painted anything in about a year due to not having much free time.
Back to top Go down
DeafNala

PostSubject: Re: GUO   Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:05 pm

Well the Lass has talent...MORE than enough to gain a commission following. Commission work has one advantage over e-Bay in that, while she may not make quite as much $s per mini, the sale/price is guaranteed. She'd make out better if she can do work out a number of basic scenic styles for the bases.

To give you an idea what you should charge check out this site as an example: http://www.bluemoonminiatures.com/Commisions.html . GOOD LUCK; if skill is any indication of success she should do QUITE WELL! What a Face
Back to top Go down
Da Bank

PostSubject: Re: GUO   Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:23 pm

Wow! That is some great work.
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: GUO   Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:51 pm

Well... my two cents.

The model IS fantastically painted. I would buy a model like that. Tell her she does NOT need to do anything else to fetch a great price. I particularly giggle at the maggot invested butt! GROSS! Puke Now... if she wants to increase the quality (always some room of improvement) and selling price, I would suggest the following... (again, no offense... but positive constructive criticism!)
  • The observer can use a 'point of focus'... this is a subtle part of the model in which the eye naturally gravitate. It could be a gem, a sword or a scope. In this case, there seems not to be one. I recommend choosing the mouth... that way the observer focus on the 'mouth area' and the peripheral vision would complete the illusion of the model being 'life-size' instead of a 'miniature'. Since the inside of the mouth is the same color as the outside, it gets lost in the shuffle.
  • A slight more yellowish or whiter tone on the teeth would complete the illusion... TWO mouths are scary... don't miss the opportunity!
  • The maggots could use a dual-shade. Maybe they are painted in two shades, but the pics do not show (they are GREAT pictured, BTW!) A simple lighter shade on top will do.
  • SLIME! Once the model is finished, some parts should be sealed with gloss varnish ('Ard Coat) so it glistens. The illusion of slime would increase the effect.
  • I am sure she bases... but basing is critical! It completes the illusion. Ask Master Kiwi!

Support Bacteria; it is the ONLY culture some people have!
Since I ask "What do you think?" to all Staff, I have included it here to save time.

DoZer Flamethrower Mordheimer Justice NEEDS to be Served! Maybe 3rd Degree burns will teach you not to Tom Sawyer me to work!

Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
edward

PostSubject: Re: GUO   Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:02 pm

thats really gross and disgusting....and awesome at the same time
Back to top Go down
Toeko

PostSubject: Re: GUO   Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:54 am

Thank you all very much, she feels very accomplished (don't get me wrong I have been very encouraging but something about a rule of marriage. . . like I will not believe my husband or something like that.)

How much do you think that Model should sell for? just as an estimate for us.

also

If anyone wants models painted let me know. this is more a hobby/something to do thing for her. so she would be able to do things rather cheaply. especially compared to the sites I have seen floating around.

-Toeko

Back to top Go down
IronSquid

PostSubject: Re: GUO   Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:44 am

OMG, excellent work! You have a real treasure there, Toeko, and the model's awesome as well!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: GUO   Today at 4:52 am

Back to top Go down

GUO
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Death Squads Game Forums :: Death Squads - Community :: Painting & Modeling-
Jump to: