Death Squads Game Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Quick screaming faces in greenstuff

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Laney

Laney

Quick screaming faces in greenstuff Empty
PostSubject: Quick screaming faces in greenstuff   Quick screaming faces in greenstuff I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 08, 2010 12:20 pm

Hi All,

This is a quick tutorial on how to make passable screaming faces to put on things e.g. ork warbosses, chaos cloaks, portals to hell, anything nurgley etc. It is meant for those who aren't gifted with greenstuff (like myself), but like to give it a go (like myself).

This whole tutorial took 30 minutes to make (including the greenstuff work - which is fairly rough). I did it in this way rather than working on it for hours because a) I'm lazy like that b) I wanted to illustrate just how quick this was. In that time I sculpted ALL the faces in the pictures. If you want to sculpt finer normal faces I recommend you check out SCIBORs tutorial on this and practice! Just Kidding

I used a similar implement to the GW shaping tool (which is the shaping tool equivalent of fat hands - there is surely no way any sculptor working for GW actually uses that thing!), but from a much cheaper and superior set of shaping tools (sharper, with a fatter handle). Which UK guys are easily available from MAPLINS.

What to Do...
The first picture shows all the major steps to a screaming face...
Quick screaming faces in greenstuff Img_7010
Step 1: Roll a roughly head sized rugby ball of greenstuff.
Step 2: Use a shaping tool to create two eye sockets (two wedge shapes in from teh sides of the head about 1/3 to 1/2 way down).
Step 3: Use a sharp edge to define the two sides of the nose.
Step 4: Use the same edge to define the bottom of the nose by pushing downwards and upwards.

Not essential: Step 5: Tidy up the rubbish job I did of step 4 to create a rough face shape!
Quick screaming faces in greenstuff Img_7011
Step 6: Use a wedge shape to push into the mouth and then pull the 'scream' downwards as far as you want. Poke two eye hollows (probably using the same tool). (You can tidy and fiddle at this stage to create the face you want)

Finished Examples and Extra Bits...
Quick screaming faces in greenstuff Img_7012
Quick screaming faces in greenstuff Img_7013
These two examples on the right have added bulging eyes and tongue.

Tongue Tutorial...

Step 1: Make your screaming face (See above).
Quick screaming faces in greenstuff Img_7014
Step 2: Roll a tiny 'sausage' of GS to just fill the mouth (see pic).
Quick screaming faces in greenstuff Img_7015
Step 3: Using a wedge shaped tool push the tongue into the mouth (about 2/3 of the way up). The bottom part will develop into the tongue - which can then be shaped and the top can be pushed up to form a simple set of 'teeth'.

Example on a WIP model of my own...
Quick screaming faces in greenstuff Img_6966
Enjoy - Laney cheers
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Quick screaming faces in greenstuff   Quick screaming faces in greenstuff I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 08, 2010 1:14 pm

This makes me sick... you make it look so EASY! I bet you a dollar that Master Kiwi will start making cloaks with Screaming Faces in no time. That guy has talent. I will give it a go when I go back to painting mode again. I'm entering in 'writing-the-next-version-of-TLRB' mode... hehehe

Thank you teaching us. Another super-hit tutorial!
Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
Kiwi

Kiwi

PostSubject: Re: Quick screaming faces in greenstuff   Quick screaming faces in greenstuff I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 08, 2010 11:50 pm

Awesome tutorial, you make it look so easy. Those things would look great coming out of a mirror or a wall.
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Quick screaming faces in greenstuff   Quick screaming faces in greenstuff I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 09, 2010 12:22 am

You should try it Kiwi... make a Chaos Portal terrain piece and sell it on eBay... use the money to buy more plastic crack!
Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Quick screaming faces in greenstuff   Quick screaming faces in greenstuff I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Quick screaming faces in greenstuff
Page 1 of 1