Death Squads Game Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Narcissus' terrain

Go down 
+16
Lord GreyWolf
Komfritten
MasterSlowPoke
Gatlag Stonetooth
DoomOnYou72
kadafwer
franzyland
DeafNala
Laney
jammydodger
Mordheimer
Da Bank
Arachas
moggd
Chuchosky
Narcissus
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

Narcissus' terrain - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' terrain   Narcissus' terrain - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 11, 2011 9:54 am

Stop the love fest... PICTURES!!! (please?)

Hehehehe... Seriously, you guys have different styles and are GREAT at them. Add Komfritten to your terrain-building pack. ALL different styles, all awesome at their own vision. One day I will try to do something like ANY of you... that is why I ask for pics! Just Kidding
Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
Komfritten

Komfritten

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' terrain   Narcissus' terrain - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 11, 2011 1:18 pm

I'm intrigued by the details! And the way you are able to make it playable (in my eyes).

My fiancé have to stop me ALL the time when I get "that look in my eye" and slaps me over my fingers when I pick up something EXTREMELY usefull, and make me leave it. Now there's no excuses - everyting goes (as long as it's put to as good use as yours).

Again, I really like the details with the screw-heads and the lego(?) AND the wires - really up's the piece!

I'm so inspired. Think I'm gonna start a new piece very soon! Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Narcissus

Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' terrain   Narcissus' terrain - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 11, 2011 11:27 pm

I have been trying to add more details in. In my opinion, the shape is the most important. I try to plan a shape and a way that models would logically move through the piece using multiple levels. I then add in the details to try to make it come alive. We will see how it goes. I am hoping it is not too plain once painted.

The lego blocks are a large scale lego I found in the shared recycling bin a year ago... The pipes with wires are easy to make. I just took a plasticard tube and stuffed in some wire and some pipe cleaners to bulk it up and then cut a small hole to have some wires exposed.

Screws are just a greenstuff ball flattened and then a slot cut into it. They don't look perfect or in scale but I think they will add a little bit of detail that can be seen.

I'll add some pictures mid week when I have had a chance to do some more painting.
Back to top Go down
http://rustandthecity.blogspot.com/
Narcissus

Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' terrain   Narcissus' terrain - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2011 5:16 pm

Two more WIP pictures of the facility with the large tanks. The paint job is about half way. I need to do more weathering with the rust and to paint the gravel and add some more streaks of rust and dirt on the tanks themselves. It is coming along though.

Narcissus' terrain - Page 3 IMG_9977

Narcissus' terrain - Page 3 IMG_9975
Back to top Go down
Komfritten

Komfritten

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' terrain   Narcissus' terrain - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2011 5:29 pm

Oh that is good! Great idea to basecoat brown-ish instead of pure black, gives a very good fundament for what you are doing - intrigued!

I like the "cold" colours and the very hard industrial feel of the piece. I'll have to go back and look at the other WiP's to see how you made the "oven" or compressor or whatnot - that is awsome!
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' terrain   Narcissus' terrain - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2011 6:30 pm

This is amazing... you are putting us to shame (especially ME!). This is GREAT work!
Back to top Go down
Narcissus

Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' terrain   Narcissus' terrain - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2011 7:11 pm

Komfritten-I agree with the brown basecoats. I find that black looks a little unnatural if you leave any showing through on terrain. It is better than white, but I prefer brown. I like brown under dry brushes for rock and concrete too as it gives a bit of a dirty look. The "oven" (I hadn't realized it looked like that before!) is a yogurt container I found in the recycling. I have a small box full of interesting shapes of containers and things that I find.

Thanks Mord. Hopefully it will look nicer when it is all finished up. Looks a bit sloppy to me in the pictures just now.
Back to top Go down
Lord GreyWolf

Lord GreyWolf

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' terrain   Narcissus' terrain - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2011 7:56 pm

very nice weathering on the silos..... Lady Grey did some thing similar on some old cans she was using for storage of her pens.

might have to get her to do some terrain painting for me....

Great job loving your terrain...

LGW
Back to top Go down
Narcissus

Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' terrain   Narcissus' terrain - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 1:13 am

Narcissus' terrain - Page 3 IMG_9974

One more image from the last batch for you. This is from the same set of pictures as before. Nothing different on this one.

After I posted that last post I finished stippling the browns and added some more grime streaks on the side. It is looking much more complete now.

I am away from home for the next three days though. I got a new job that will have me away from home a few days each week for the next 6 weeks or so. Once I get back I will finish the beast off and post the pictures.
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' terrain   Narcissus' terrain - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2011 11:26 am

Good luck on new job!
Back to top Go down
Narcissus

Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' terrain   Narcissus' terrain - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 3:23 am

Thanks for the good luck wishes, Mord. The new job is going well. Takes away from a bit of the modelling time though.

I finished the twin tanks project tonight. Still a few things a may touch up in the future, but I think it is looking alright just now. I am trying to balance creating a quality product with spending too much time detailing and not finishing anything!

Here are some quick shots I took tonight with two Death Orks of Krieg for scale.

I am pleased with how the weathering turned out. I should have been a little more careful with the direction of the streaks. The rusty brown everywhere is a little bland too. More colors needed on the next piece.

Narcissus' terrain - Page 3 IMG_9987

Narcissus' terrain - Page 3 IMG_9999

Narcissus' terrain - Page 3 IMG_9990

Narcissus' terrain - Page 3 IMG_9984
View of the burst cables on top of the tanks.

Narcissus' terrain - Page 3 IMG_0001

Narcissus' terrain - Page 3 IMG_9993

Narcissus' terrain - Page 3 IMG_9986

Sorry this post is so pic heavy.
Back to top Go down
Komfritten

Komfritten

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' terrain   Narcissus' terrain - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 3:35 am

It turned out really nice! It's really gritty and industrial Smile

Looking forward to see the next piece - think its a good choice to have a "deadline" for when a piece is ready.
Back to top Go down
Arachas

Arachas

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' terrain   Narcissus' terrain - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 6:38 am

INSANE! I love all the walkways and the gritty nature of the entire scene. KEEP IT UP!
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' terrain   Narcissus' terrain - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 12:50 pm

Top Notch!

Great scenery and very practical too.

Good work

Laney Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' terrain   Narcissus' terrain - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 4:59 pm

You are out of line MISTER! Holy FUC@#~*#^!%!!!! How in the Warp you do THAT?!?!
Look at Tank #33!!! That is RIDICULOUS!

You got to make a tutorial! I have tried for YEARS to do that (epic fail) and you make it look so easy!

PLEASE!!!!
Narcissus' terrain - Page 3 Shatner_beg
Back to top Go down
Narcissus

Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' terrain   Narcissus' terrain - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 21, 2011 7:32 pm

Wow, thanks Mordheimer. It is actually really easy to do, and only a little time consuming. I will build another small tank and do a quick tutorial on how to do it for you (next week or so).

The effect is basically:
1. Prime with brown
2. Dry brush and paint on a beige/cream paint (I used old house paint). Leave the brown showing through in places
3. Stick on stickers for numbers or paint them on
4. Sponge on coats of dark brown, vomit brown, bestial brown, and boltgun metal very lightly in places you want corrosion (I take some blister foam or a sponge brush and rip lots of little bits out of it and then pat it dry on cardboard until it is just little spots)
5. Use gryphon sepia or devlan mud and create small streaks running down from bolts and rust
6. Repeat, focussing on the inner parts of the streaks.
7. Highlight some streaks with orange (I used Tamiya clear orange)

The great thing with this technique is that it is pretty forgiving. No painting in the lines really. Once you get good at it it goes pretty fast. The tricky part is deciding on a sponge and getting most of the paint off of it.

Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' terrain   Narcissus' terrain - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 22, 2011 6:45 am

Cool! Make sure to take LOTS of step by step pics (PLEASE!!) for the tutorial. I will start painting soon (2 to 3 weeks) and I think I will start with some 'forgiving' terrain until I get back in the groove. THANKS!
Back to top Go down
Narcissus

Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' terrain   Narcissus' terrain - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 1:48 pm

Here is a quick update of a piece of urban elevation I quickly put together. I wanted to see if I could successfully make some from dollar store baskets. There are more details on my blog. I will take some step by step pictures for you Mordheimer of how I weather this piece (hopefully it will be good then!).

Narcissus' terrain - Page 3 IMG_0008

Narcissus' terrain - Page 3 IMG_0012

Narcissus' terrain - Page 3 IMG_9967-1
Back to top Go down
Narcissus

Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' terrain   Narcissus' terrain - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2011 2:55 am

Here are some finished shots of the urban elevation I had in the previous picture.

Narcissus' terrain - Page 3 IMG_0044

Narcissus' terrain - Page 3 IMG_0039

Narcissus' terrain - Page 3 IMG_0037

I am writing a tutorial on my blog just now, that should be live soon. I will post it here as well once I have finished it.
Back to top Go down
Arachas

Arachas

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' terrain   Narcissus' terrain - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2011 5:50 am

Dude, where do you get the 'grid' stuff? Looks ace for catwalks, I want to make some.
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' terrain   Narcissus' terrain - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2011 9:49 am

Man... I can't phantom doing this kind of quality! To the point that when I open the page on this thread (page 5) I saw the tanks AGAIN... and I just had to watch 'em... then I realized they were the same idiotic tanks I have been looking at for the last few days! They are THAT good!

Your creativity & talent... as architect, designer, engineer and builder... are a true inspiration. WOW! I can't wait for the tutorial!
Back to top Go down
Narcissus

Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' terrain   Narcissus' terrain - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2011 4:48 pm

Arachas-the grid is granny grating. It is used for knitting or something. You can find it anywhere you find sewing supplies. I'm not sure where you find them in secret volcano lairs though...

Mordheimer: The tutorial is now up on my blog: http://rustandthecity.blogspot.com/2011/09/tutorial-industrial-weathering.html . I can repost it here if you want as well, I would just have to add in the pictures again. This piece was really fast. Only about 1.5 hours total for the painting.
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' terrain   Narcissus' terrain - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 25, 2011 6:51 pm

1.5 hours? I feel worse!!!! HAHA!

Could you please post it on the Tutorial section? Feel free to plug your blog on the top too!
Back to top Go down
Dysturbed

Dysturbed

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' terrain   Narcissus' terrain - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 26, 2011 2:16 am

Some of the cheapest and best grid for catwalks is that plastic stuff you can get at craft stores that old people use to make like yard art or whatever.

Miniwargaming calls it grannygrating
if you put it on top of some plasticard or foamcore it looks great as a catwalk.
Back to top Go down
Narcissus

Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' terrain   Narcissus' terrain - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 27, 2011 2:25 am

Here is a quick update. I was really productive today (my day off) and painted the pencil holder terrain and a new mini terrain set. I have one sneak peak of it in here and some pictures of the pencil holder piece.

Tomorrow's piece.
Narcissus' terrain - Page 3 IMG_0061

I painted this piece much like the others. I tried to base more of it in color first though. I also used heavier dark brown and less rust on the painted area to try and show some chipped paint and corrosion in the chipped areas.

Narcissus' terrain - Page 3 IMG_0051

Narcissus' terrain - Page 3 IMG_0053

Narcissus' terrain - Page 3 IMG_0048

This piece also shows a connection system I made for walkways. Each terrain piece I make will have 1-3 of these connections at each level. They are 2" wide and 1/4" deep. The bases on each walkway slot into the holders to hold the walkway firmly in place without needing magnets or anything. It seems to work fairly well so far.

Narcissus' terrain - Page 3 IMG_0055

Narcissus' terrain - Page 3 IMG_0056

I am not 100% happy with this piece. I am pleased with how the grey and green turned out but feel that things like the sandbags could be better. The Tamiya Clear Orange did a really nice job around the grey plates and for drips and things. Comments, criticisms, and suggestions appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by Narcissus on Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:29 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : pictures were not displaying)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' terrain   Narcissus' terrain - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Narcissus' terrain
Page 3 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Death Squads Game Forums :: Death Squads - Community :: Scenery & Terrain-
Jump to: