The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

WIP pics of the whole Varangian 13th Gamma Commando

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Laney

PostSubject: WIP pics of the whole Varangian 13th Gamma Commando   Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:25 am

Hi Guys,

They aren't quite finished, but here is the squad so far (I've hidden the unpainted minis in the back).

Cheers Laney Very Happy
Back to top Go down
DeafNala

PostSubject: Re: WIP pics of the whole Varangian 13th Gamma Commando   Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:01 am

Admittedly I'm one of those Guys that LOVES Group Photos. As such, I think your OH-SO-COOL creations look EVEN COOLER all together...only placing them in their natural environ would be cooler. GREAT & INSPIRING STUFF! cheers
Back to top Go down
Da Bank

PostSubject: Re: WIP pics of the whole Varangian 13th Gamma Commando   Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:58 am

Laney...These are great. Your skill has only improved over time.

Keep up the great work!
Back to top Go down
Major Sturmm

PostSubject: Re: WIP pics of the whole Varangian 13th Gamma Commando   Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:26 pm

This, my man, is very cool stuff!

I like the Ogryn very much! That cigar... The red barets are also a slick touch. The sniper is awesome. Love this! Let's see some more!

See ya! Sturmm
Back to top Go down
Laney

PostSubject: Re: WIP pics of the whole Varangian 13th Gamma Commando   Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:21 pm

Thanks Da Bank/Deafnala for the kind words it means alot from your peers and I think I have improved hugely since joining this forum (So Ta!).

@ Major Sturmm: Cheers - The thing is the Ogryns not officially joined the squad yet! I've got one or two games to save up to get him (He has to be a bone'ead fluff dictates and I can't send him in without some hardwear). I'll try to get some more things out in the next week (maybe even something a little bit special - I kind of promised Mordheimer)

His beard/5 o'clock shadow is possibly my favourite part (maybe even of the whole squad). Which I believe was an idea from one of your group - very cool.

Cheers Laney Aquila

Last edited by 02laney on Sat Nov 20, 2010 6:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
edward

PostSubject: Re: WIP pics of the whole Varangian 13th Gamma Commando   Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:22 pm

holy crap sooooo many cool models!!! Shocked
Back to top Go down
jammydodger

PostSubject: Re: WIP pics of the whole Varangian 13th Gamma Commando   Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:14 pm

Very cool, thanks for sharing these with us! I knew every individual piece was great but it is lovely to see the whole Squad together. Seeing them like this reinforces the quality of the camouflage paintwork as both effective camouflage and as a stylistic creation. The contrast of the red berets and detailing just strengthens the cohesiveness of the force. I would love to be able to produce something this fine.
Back to top Go down
Lydor

PostSubject: Re: WIP pics of the whole Varangian 13th Gamma Commando   Sun Nov 21, 2010 6:34 pm

how did you even fit all that awesome into one squad!?!?! let me know if you wanna paint mine, totally wicked stuff man!
Back to top Go down
Laney

PostSubject: Re: WIP pics of the whole Varangian 13th Gamma Commando   Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:41 am

Thanks again guys! Very Happy - I've taken a brief break from these guys to mess around with some Mordians - but it'll be cool to get them finished.

@ Jammydodger: I'm glad it all works together - that's probably the biggest challenge for me - remembering that they are meant to belong to the same squad!

@ Lydor: That's (one of) the cool things about Death Squads. The models can all be individual - great modelling opportunities - something I could never do if this was an IG army (though at this rate I'll have a fully converted IG Varangian 40k Army!).

Cheers Laney cheers
Back to top Go down
Gatlag Stonetooth

PostSubject: Re: WIP pics of the whole Varangian 13th Gamma Commando   Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:57 am

Wow! Awesome looking bunch! The Ogryn is drawing the most attention, good thing he looks darn sweet! Cool
Back to top Go down
Arachas

PostSubject: Re: WIP pics of the whole Varangian 13th Gamma Commando   Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:00 am

02laney wrote:
His beard/5 o'clock shadow is possibly my favourite part (maybe even of the whole squad). Which I believe was an idea from one of your group - very cool.

Catachan green and codex grey, eh? Wink Love it man.

Yeah, jealous. You rock man! Is the camo graveyard earth with bleached bone splotches?

Avatar art by HeavyMetalHanzo. Used with express permission.
Back to top Go down
Laney

PostSubject: Re: WIP pics of the whole Varangian 13th Gamma Commando   Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:29 am

@ Arachas: It does look cool - thanks for the idea! (codex grey and catachan green - it shouldn't work but it does!)

The camo (starting from the bottom is charadon granite basecoat, with an ogryn flesh wash. The camo on top is Khemri Brown and dheneb stone (the colours next door to the ones you suggested Smile )

Cheers Laney cheers
Back to top Go down
Kiwi

PostSubject: Re: WIP pics of the whole Varangian 13th Gamma Commando   Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:18 pm

Fantastic looking squad.
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: WIP pics of the whole Varangian 13th Gamma Commando   Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:50 am

AMAZING! I had to run to the bathroom after seeing the guys... my intestines could not hold the excitement! HAHAH!

Your work is AMAZING!

Whenever you make another guy with 5 o'clock shadow (beard)... TUTORIAL!!! We all want to get drink for the fountain of knowledge!

Support Bacteria; it is the ONLY culture some people have!
Since I ask "What do you think?" to all Staff, I have included it here to save time.

DoZer Flamethrower Mordheimer Justice NEEDS to be Served! Maybe 3rd Degree burns will teach you not to Tom Sawyer me to work!

Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
Lydor

PostSubject: Re: WIP pics of the whole Varangian 13th Gamma Commando   Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:31 am

I agree...tutorial man!
Back to top Go down
Arachas

PostSubject: Re: WIP pics of the whole Varangian 13th Gamma Commando   Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:42 am

I'll step in, Laney. (:

The beard is really quite easy. It's Catachan Green mixed with Codex Grey... and then carefully applied on an otherwise finished face. C'est tout.

Back to top Go down
Laney

PostSubject: Re: WIP pics of the whole Varangian 13th Gamma Commando   Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:58 am

Thanks for the positives guys - more complete Varangians on the way - the are almost done!

As Arachas said Wink ,

It would be wholly unfair of me to do a tutorial that is an idea nicked (thanks again for the idea Arachas (from another forum member - but maybe he will oblige Very Happy ). The only thing I'd add is that I made it a virtual wash and applied 3 coats (I don't know if this is different to how Arachas does it or not)

Cheers Laney cheers
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: WIP pics of the whole Varangian 13th Gamma Commando   Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:39 am

Ohhh... the Arachas... please (pretty please!) make a tutorial (with pics) next time. Laney said the same with the patina effect (verdigris copper oxidation) and only until he made the tutorial I managed to learn it. Hehehehe

Support Bacteria; it is the ONLY culture some people have!
Since I ask "What do you think?" to all Staff, I have included it here to save time.

DoZer Flamethrower Mordheimer Justice NEEDS to be Served! Maybe 3rd Degree burns will teach you not to Tom Sawyer me to work!

Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
Arachas

PostSubject: Re: WIP pics of the whole Varangian 13th Gamma Commando   Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:18 am

Seriously... you mix the paint and you gently brush it onto the face. There's no tutorial to be made... lol.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WIP pics of the whole Varangian 13th Gamma Commando   Today at 10:21 pm

Back to top Go down

WIP pics of the whole Varangian 13th Gamma Commando
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1