Death Squads Game Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Building my first terrain table, need advice

Go down 
+8
DoomOnYou72
Dysturbed
DeafNala
Laney
tendi
Da Bank
kadafwer
Dread_Kennedy
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Dread_Kennedy

Dread_Kennedy

Building my first terrain table, need advice Empty
PostSubject: Building my first terrain table, need advice   Building my first terrain table, need advice I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 1:32 am

Hey folks, a little stumped and need some guidance. I came into the possession of a 6x2.5 foot styrofoam slab with some really cool details. It housed some glass for a desk/shelf, and has a huge diagonal line down the centre (a perfect gutter/river feature!). I want to build up the table with some modular terrain from here.

Now, the crux: how to seal this thing? It's a massive piece of styrofoam, and I know that spray undercoats may eat it. I'd like to coat it in something that would smooth the bubbly texture.

Any and all suggestions, recommendations or even good tutorials you've seen would help me greatly. It was like Christmas 2 when I found the board, and now I need to bring out its natural awesomeness. In a month or two I want to show some photos to The Boss and say, "here's what I did with that garbage I took home".
Back to top Go down
kadafwer

kadafwer

PostSubject: Re: Building my first terrain table, need advice   Building my first terrain table, need advice I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 6:12 am

You got a picture how it looks right now? Would love to see this piece!

As you say, spray will eat it all, we used some cheap black paint when we did some big terrain. As long as it was cheap it was good was our idé and it worked fine.
Don't remember what type of color though.

You can buy a sample of a color, test it on a little bit and see how it works. A sample should not cost more than 2 dollars and you get pretty much for it (at least to for undercoating terrain)

Hope it helps.
Back to top Go down
Da Bank

Da Bank

PostSubject: Re: Building my first terrain table, need advice   Building my first terrain table, need advice I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 7:04 am

Correct, any spray will eat the foam. You will need to paint manually.

Last edited by Da Bank on Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Dread_Kennedy

Dread_Kennedy

PostSubject: Re: Building my first terrain table, need advice   Building my first terrain table, need advice I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 8:28 am

What variety of paint? Latex, acrylic?

I will take some pics on Sunday or Monday, heading away for the weekend. It's a beautiful beast and can't wait to start adding to it.
Back to top Go down
tendi

PostSubject: Re: Building my first terrain table, need advice   Building my first terrain table, need advice I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 8:51 am

Look in Your hardware store. I'm using acrylic "for elevation" paints for my terrains. Alternatively You can seal Styrofoam with pva/woodworking glue tined little with water than paint it with sprays for some custom effects but sprays aren't the cheapest way to paint large surfaces flat.
Back to top Go down
kadafwer

kadafwer

PostSubject: Re: Building my first terrain table, need advice   Building my first terrain table, need advice I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 9:37 am

Spray CAN be cheap if you are using the same stuff as the graffitiheads.
way much better to cover areas than spray for cars or the ones for minitures but it eat it just like other sprays.

I think we used some form of acrylic. this was at least 5 years ago so i do not remember.
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Building my first terrain table, need advice   Building my first terrain table, need advice I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 1:51 pm

Acrylics definitely the way to go - no reaction with the foam and it's reasonably flexible (if thin enough) so that you don't get much cracking.

Laney Very Happy
Back to top Go down
DeafNala

DeafNala

PostSubject: Re: Building my first terrain table, need advice   Building my first terrain table, need advice I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 3:30 pm

Which side of the Atlantic/Pacific is "The 36th Chamber of Shaolin"? Location helps when directing you to shops, manufactures, et al.

If you need to fill gaps or smooth the surface, get some Woodlands Scenis Foam Putty...once it's dried it works like the foam itself.
As a covering either acrylic or latex paint work fine. Once you have the Beasty TOTALLY covered it safe to use a spray...sprays made for floral items are the safest. What a Face
Back to top Go down
Dread_Kennedy

Dread_Kennedy

PostSubject: Re: Building my first terrain table, need advice   Building my first terrain table, need advice I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 5:53 pm

Excellent, I will look for some paint this weekend, particularly that "for elevation" kind. Painting the whole thing will take some time but I will press-gang my dad (repayment for decades of shovelling the driveway).

My gal works in a paint store, I'll pick her brain and find out some other solutions too. Solutions where I can exploit the 50% employee discount! (que diabolical laughter)

The 36th Chamber is presently in Canada, but it's a shifting location! (google that puppy, it's an old kung-fu meme).
Back to top Go down
DeafNala

DeafNala

PostSubject: Re: Building my first terrain table, need advice   Building my first terrain table, need advice I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 5:58 pm

Dread_Kennedy wrote:
The 36th Chamber is presently in Canada, but it's a shifting location! (google that puppy, it's an old kung-fu meme).

Cool...suggesting picking stuff up at Michael's isn't helpful if you live in Australia/Eurpe/ the Andes/etc. What a Face
Back to top Go down
Dysturbed

Dysturbed

PostSubject: Re: Building my first terrain table, need advice   Building my first terrain table, need advice I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 8:23 pm

Best advice on the foam is to take about a half a bottle of elmer's glue and mix with equal parts water in a bucket then paint the whole thing with it. After that you can spray it with primer or whatever you want.
Back to top Go down
DoomOnYou72

DoomOnYou72

PostSubject: Re: Building my first terrain table, need advice   Building my first terrain table, need advice I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 8:52 pm

I would use your standard house paint (acrylics only not enamel) preferably an offwhite color or the base color of the table. The best thing is that it can be prepurchased with various textures (i prefer a fine sand texture but there are plenty of options so take a look). Many of the texture paints use resin or cement for the texture. This is great as it increases the boards durability. One thing to keep in mind is that if you dont use a base of MDF/ Masonite that the board may warp when painted due to shrinkage. This can also be minimized by painting in small sections or sometimes by painting both sides. Ill post some pics of a board made this way later tonight.
Back to top Go down
http://doomiesden.blogspot.com/
DoomOnYou72

DoomOnYou72

PostSubject: Re: Building my first terrain table, need advice   Building my first terrain table, need advice I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 9:53 pm

OK here are a few pics of a board I made a couple of years ago for our Sci Fi skirmish games. Sadly I didnt take any pics of the finished product before I sold it Sad . The board was built out of 1" and 2" pink foam attached to 1/2" MDF for stability. Each section is 2x4 foot.
Building my first terrain table, need advice DSC00938

Building my first terrain table, need advice DSC00935

Building my first terrain table, need advice DSC00925

More pics and many WIP photos can be seen here:
https://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v238/DoomOnYou72/Damocales%20WIP/?start=all

Ive built four terrain tables now and have learned alot doing it and would be glad to share and answer any questions I can.
Back to top Go down
Da Bank

Da Bank

PostSubject: Re: Building my first terrain table, need advice   Building my first terrain table, need advice I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 10:57 pm

Arg! This is a work of art.

Are you around Atlanta?
Back to top Go down
DoomOnYou72

DoomOnYou72

PostSubject: Re: Building my first terrain table, need advice   Building my first terrain table, need advice I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 11:02 pm

Savannah. Used to go up to Atlanta for Warfair until they had it down on that Ghetto the one time Shocked . Usually make it up to Siege of Augusta each year though with the local store.
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Building my first terrain table, need advice   Building my first terrain table, need advice I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 15, 2011 3:51 am

That board looks amazing - great work!

Laney cheers
Back to top Go down
DeafNala

DeafNala

PostSubject: Re: Building my first terrain table, need advice   Building my first terrain table, need advice I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 15, 2011 9:02 am

DoomOnYou72 wrote:
Sadly I didnt take any pics of the finished product before I sold it Sad .

I can identify...somewhere out there are hordes of Thingies I've done that will forever remain unphotographed. The better you get as a painter/modeler the more unlikely it becomes that you will get to keep what you paint/make, but after awhile the creating becomes more important than the keeping. Suspect
At any rate, that is a BEAUTIFULLY DONE gaming board...whoever wound up with it must be delighted. What a Face
Back to top Go down
kadafwer

kadafwer

PostSubject: Re: Building my first terrain table, need advice   Building my first terrain table, need advice I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 15, 2011 9:54 am

Holy shit! That i sjust great! Love that board!
Back to top Go down
Arachas

Arachas

PostSubject: Re: Building my first terrain table, need advice   Building my first terrain table, need advice I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 15, 2011 11:05 am

I would have expected nothing less from you, Doom. Awesome!
Back to top Go down
DoomOnYou72

DoomOnYou72

PostSubject: Re: Building my first terrain table, need advice   Building my first terrain table, need advice I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 15, 2011 11:48 am

DeafNala wrote:
I can identify...somewhere out there are hordes of Thingies I've done that will forever remain unphotographed. The better you get as a painter/modeler the more unlikely it becomes that you will get to keep what you paint/make, but after awhile the creating becomes more important than the keeping. Suspect
At any rate, that is a BEAUTIFULLY DONE gaming board...whoever wound up with it must be delighted. What a Face

You got that right Deaf. Nearly everything I work on nowadys is for someone else or when Im done someone says Ill give $$$ (which is either a good offer that the money grubbing capitalist in me cant so no too or is so off base the reply is WTF! are you high Very Happy ) My hobby time is seriously limited due to work and real world obligations but I have been pretty good about making an hour or two each day for hobby related stuff for the last month or so. Even if its not productive I make myself attempt to do something.

I usually make Terrain Boards in the summer when the weather is good as its easier to do alot of it outside. If I make one this year and there is interest Ill make a thread and do walk thrus and tutorials as I go.
Back to top Go down
Da Bank

Da Bank

PostSubject: Re: Building my first terrain table, need advice   Building my first terrain table, need advice I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 15, 2011 12:01 pm

Keep us posted on up coming work as you have a great talent.
Back to top Go down
jammydodger

jammydodger

PostSubject: Re: Building my first terrain table, need advice   Building my first terrain table, need advice I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 16, 2011 7:34 am

Dread, I think everyone has made the standard offers - hand paint or wash with glue. Good luck with this - it'd be great to see the end product.

Very nice work Doom, might have to pick your brains at some point. Hopefully you'll be able to provide the community with some expertise.
Back to top Go down
Arachas

Arachas

PostSubject: Re: Building my first terrain table, need advice   Building my first terrain table, need advice I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 16, 2011 9:00 am

DoomOnYou72 wrote:
I usually make Terrain Boards in the summer when the weather is good as its easier to do alot of it outside. If I make one this year and there is interest Ill make a thread and do walk thrus and tutorials as I go.

Oh, yes please!
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Building my first terrain table, need advice   Building my first terrain table, need advice I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 16, 2011 10:52 am

That would be superb - I want to make a board for my shed this Summer (It'll never happen though, with another little one appearing next month).

Cheers Laney Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Arachas

Arachas

PostSubject: Re: Building my first terrain table, need advice   Building my first terrain table, need advice I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 16, 2011 10:59 am

Laney wrote:
That would be superb - I want to make a board for my shed this Summer (It'll never happen though, with another little one appearing next month).

Cheers Laney Very Happy

A man's gotta have some time to himself, dude. Make it happen!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Building my first terrain table, need advice   Building my first terrain table, need advice I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Building my first terrain table, need advice
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next