Death Squads Game Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Nurgle Techmarine and Other Curiosities

Go down 
+9
cody20
Mordheimer
DoomOnYou72
DeafNala
Arachas
Da Bank
jammydodger
kadafwer
Laney
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Laney

Laney

Nurgle Techmarine and Other Curiosities Empty
PostSubject: Nurgle Techmarine and Other Curiosities   Nurgle Techmarine and Other Curiosities I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 4:31 pm

Been a while since I've posted anything in the painting and modelling bit - here is one of my latest offerings. A Nurgle techmarine. He has a servo arm fitted with an armour piercing hypodermic (took the idea from a programme about insects I was watching), Helm of pestilence, some sort of improved bolter, a manreaper scythe and various other toxic gubbins.

A scale picture - next to a truescale (terminator based) marine
Nurgle Techmarine and Other Curiosities Img_7614
Nurgle Techmarine and Other Curiosities Img_7618
Nurgle Techmarine and Other Curiosities Img_7619
Nurgle Techmarine and Other Curiosities Img_7620

Feedback welcome
Laney Very Happy
Back to top Go down
kadafwer

kadafwer

PostSubject: Re: Nurgle Techmarine and Other Curiosities   Nurgle Techmarine and Other Curiosities I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 5:33 pm

Man, what a monster!
Is it done for painting or is it more work left?
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Nurgle Techmarine and Other Curiosities   Nurgle Techmarine and Other Curiosities I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 14, 2011 6:22 pm

I've got a little more damage to add and I've since added a little height to his feet (which I've merged into the base with greenstuff), but he is pretty much there.

Laney cheers
Back to top Go down
jammydodger

jammydodger

PostSubject: Re: Nurgle Techmarine and Other Curiosities   Nurgle Techmarine and Other Curiosities I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 12:51 pm

Nice model (absolutely love the paint job on the comparison model too) with an interesting helmet and some great Nurgle details which I'm thinking to steal for my Blood Angel of Pus (which is currently in the WiP stage).
My only suggestion might be to reduce the overall length of the servo-arm - whilst it is balanced by equal distance forward and back it is still a really big piece of kit. It might just be me being negative on the whole huge weapons vibe since it is a mother-beautiful tool. Sorry for the negative waves. (Cookie for reference.)

As an aside on truescaling, I've used the tutorial from Warseer (?) that someone posted (sorry for forgetting names) but I've found that using plasticard to widen the gap makes it harder to hide the gap smoothly. I'd suggest a plasticard spacer and then using GS to cover the gap, rather than trying to smooth down the plasticard.
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Nurgle Techmarine and Other Curiosities   Nurgle Techmarine and Other Curiosities I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 12:59 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I have been thinking about this guy a great deal and the bottom line is that I don't like him. Elements of him work (I can see how the flesh mask/helm of pestilience will look, the idea of the servo arm is a nice one, i like the sculpting on the back and I was reasonably pleased with the scythe.

He doesn't work as a whole thing for me - the shoulder are too wide, the head is too fat, not to mention the backpack and the storm bolter is too much. I could blame the model I started with (and have, several times), but he just didn't come together right

I'm going to start again and see if I can come up with something better (maybe not a techmarine possibly an apothecary - that would work - maybe just a regular nurgle guy - with a cadre of plague zombies instead!). Dark Mechanicus will return - just in a different form.

Cheers Laney
Back to top Go down
jammydodger

jammydodger

PostSubject: Re: Nurgle Techmarine and Other Curiosities   Nurgle Techmarine and Other Curiosities I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 6:03 pm

If you're not happy with it I think that is the best plan but it is a shame after the time invested. I think you are right on both the servo-arm and the scythe. The photos don't show the back in much detail so I'll refrain from commentary on that but am happy to take you word for it. As for your critiques of scale, I think they are all reasonable and whilst the model is still a great piece of work I can see the logic behind your decision.

An apothecary is an excellent idea (physician heal thyself) for a follower of Nurgle but doesn't necessary work as well for the Dark Mechanicus. aAthough, I've realised, he could still be inducted into the secrets of the Machine-God as an Adeptus Biologis as a way to link the two ideas together.
Back to top Go down
Da Bank

Da Bank

PostSubject: Re: Nurgle Techmarine and Other Curiosities   Nurgle Techmarine and Other Curiosities I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 17, 2011 8:19 pm

Wow! This is quite good.
Back to top Go down
Arachas

Arachas

PostSubject: Re: Nurgle Techmarine and Other Curiosities   Nurgle Techmarine and Other Curiosities I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2011 4:12 am

Ahh, how you love to torture us, Laney! Not only do you create things us mortals can only dream off... but you SCRATCH THEM ON A WHIM when you're not pleased!

Don't do it! I beg you! This model is pure genius!
Back to top Go down
DeafNala

DeafNala

PostSubject: Re: Nurgle Techmarine and Other Curiosities   Nurgle Techmarine and Other Curiosities I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2011 9:37 am

Even as a Guy who HATES Space Marines, I think you came up with a VERY COOL mini. That said, I can identify with not liking the Big Guy...it's happened to moi more often than I'd like to think about. Ultimately, if you don't like what you've created, it's time to put him aside for now & move on. Funny thing is you learn more from the failures than the successes...you could always give him to Arachas What a Face .
Back to top Go down
DoomOnYou72

DoomOnYou72

PostSubject: Re: Nurgle Techmarine and Other Curiosities   Nurgle Techmarine and Other Curiosities I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 18, 2011 6:57 pm

DeafNala wrote:
Even as a Guy who HATES Space Marines, I think you came up with a VERY COOL mini. That said, I can identify with not liking the Big Guy...it's happened to moi more often than I'd like to think about. Ultimately, if you don't like what you've created, it's time to put him aside for now & move on. Funny thing is you learn more from the failures than the successes...you could always give him to Arachas What a Face .

That is so true... Ive learned lots Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://doomiesden.blogspot.com/
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Nurgle Techmarine and Other Curiosities   Nurgle Techmarine and Other Curiosities I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2011 1:54 pm

I now think I know what the model should look like and how it should work. So, yes I've learnt quite a bit!

Plus, I've got the recruits and such to go with him (He, is just a pile of parts in a bitz box at the minute - but not much longer!). I went to Heresy Miniatures and was searching around for stuff and came up with some great models for plague zombies, some plague bearer type models and loads of other stuff - all very cheap (I've got from them before it is good stuff).

Check them out: http://www.heresyminiatures.com/

I've also orders a few guns and I'm off to forgeworld and maxmini to complete the hobby goodness!

Cheers Laney

More models (and painting) soon Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Nurgle Techmarine and Other Curiosities   Nurgle Techmarine and Other Curiosities I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 22, 2011 4:34 am

You ARE crazy for not liking the model. Crazy artists... Evil or Very Mad The Helm looks great... I can only imagine what you are dreaming up next!
Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Nurgle Techmarine and Other Curiosities   Nurgle Techmarine and Other Curiosities I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 6:13 pm

A couple of pics of my cultists servitor/annhilators - nothing special, just a simple flamer and heavy stubber conversion on each...

Servimg is down at the minute - so the pics will have to wait until tomorrow - sorry!

EDIT: Here they are...
Nurgle Techmarine and Other Curiosities Img_7633
Nurgle Techmarine and Other Curiosities Img_7634

Laney Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Nurgle Techmarine and Other Curiosities   Nurgle Techmarine and Other Curiosities I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 29, 2011 5:03 am

My cultists healthcare professional - I originally painted him (and didn't finish) for my I.R. squad. The forgeworld model is lovely - but a nightmare to paint the fragile, flexible servo arms - so I changed them to this (copying the power cable on my old IG captain and a cool techmarine I saw on the interweb).
He fits neatly into the fluff (which I haven't written yet - but its in my head) for these guys, which will be suitably gruesome as befits a group of Nurgle worshippers (a few clues - experimentation, pathogens, victims, underhive)

Anyway here he is...
Nurgle Techmarine and Other Curiosities Img_7617
Nurgle Techmarine and Other Curiosities Img_7615
Nurgle Techmarine and Other Curiosities Img_7616

Feedback welcome - particularly rusty silvers (post apoc) or verdigris brass (steampunky) for the metallic parts and the servo arms?

Cheers Laney Very Happy
Back to top Go down
DoomOnYou72

DoomOnYou72

PostSubject: Re: Nurgle Techmarine and Other Curiosities   Nurgle Techmarine and Other Curiosities I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 29, 2011 10:16 am

I would go with dirty silver or steel for the servo arm/ mechandrites and brass for the back gear on its back and maybe the items on the end of the arms. As the base of the model is white I think the darker colors will help the finished product.

Have you seen these before
http://dragonforge.com/Painting%20service/for%20sale/sculpting_supplies.htm
Just scroll down to the power cables section. The large ones make nice mechadrites/ servo arm for a human sized model. They are made out of white metal and flex easily. Also guitar strings can be your friend but need alittle more patience.
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Nurgle Techmarine and Other Curiosities   Nurgle Techmarine and Other Curiosities I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 29, 2011 10:27 am

Thanks, I was looking for something like that for the mechadendrites - perfect - next on my shopping list.

Laney Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Nurgle Techmarine and Other Curiosities   Nurgle Techmarine and Other Curiosities I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 06, 2011 4:24 am

Having built one Nurgle marine I didn't like I was determined to get this one right! Hope you like it!
He's truescale (based on a terminator set of legs and a regular chaos marine body bulked out with GS.

Only two pics - because my camera is playing up today
Nurgle Techmarine and Other Curiosities Img_7716
Nurgle Techmarine and Other Curiosities Img_7717

Feedback welcome as always!

Laney Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Da Bank

Da Bank

PostSubject: Re: Nurgle Techmarine and Other Curiosities   Nurgle Techmarine and Other Curiosities I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 06, 2011 9:26 am

Wow! I love it. Very very nice.
Back to top Go down
DoomOnYou72

DoomOnYou72

PostSubject: Re: Nurgle Techmarine and Other Curiosities   Nurgle Techmarine and Other Curiosities I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 06, 2011 10:17 am

Laney I like this version much better all the way around. Overall I think the concept and execution is much better. I think the head came out especially great (Now we just need to get you some guitar string or power cables Smile ). What tools are you using to work with the greenstuff?
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Nurgle Techmarine and Other Curiosities   Nurgle Techmarine and Other Curiosities I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 06, 2011 10:49 am

Thanks!

I've ordered some cables from Dragonforge as you suggested (got the mixed pack to try them out - may order more if they work out) - I also got the conversion African heads set that they sell (be good for another guard squad or two).

I am quite pleased with the GS work on this guy (not perfect, but a huge improvement). There is a skull sculpted on the top of his backpack and a few pustule details I really like. I'm currently using a grey pointed clayshaper (I need to get more of these and vary the flexibility - black is meant ot be useful I here), a ton of different metal shapers and a few useful pointy items. Basically, I need more clayshapers to get smoother finishes (not such a problem here as lumpy was the look I wanted. Any other ideas on useful shaping/sculpting tools?

One or two mould lines to clear up here.

Ta Laney cheers
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Nurgle Techmarine and Other Curiosities   Nurgle Techmarine and Other Curiosities I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 06, 2011 11:44 am

Mordheimer wrote:
You ARE crazy for not liking the model. Crazy artists... Evil or Very Mad The Helm looks great... I can only imagine what you are dreaming up next!

Coño Laney... I think that inside your mind must be a very scary place. All that talent trying to get out. WOW! I completely and unequivocally wrong. My dreams will NEVER be as cool as what you can make. If this is what you had in mind when you said you did not liked the 1st model... now I understand why you did not wanted it.

This thing is amazing! You plan to add more stuff to it (like cables)?
Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Nurgle Techmarine and Other Curiosities   Nurgle Techmarine and Other Curiosities I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 06, 2011 12:01 pm

Thanks Mord! (By the way - this is why no more updates on the Albino - I'm getting back to it soon). On the back of the model (the backpack) - there are four vents - I want to add some trailing cables/mechadendrites. But, I don't want to go too far with it.

Apart from that just trimming mould lines is all I need to do! (And paint it of course!).

Ta Laney cheers
Back to top Go down
DoomOnYou72

DoomOnYou72

PostSubject: Re: Nurgle Techmarine and Other Curiosities   Nurgle Techmarine and Other Curiosities I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 06, 2011 12:43 pm

Yes the black color shapers are you friends when it comes to smoothing. I prefer the flat chisel shaped ones myself. My green stuff tools include a large set of dental picks and shapers, some useful clay tools, a couple of homemade items (small tubing to get nice circles and such), left over drill bits, and a few medical scalpels.
Back to top Go down
Arachas

Arachas

PostSubject: Re: Nurgle Techmarine and Other Curiosities   Nurgle Techmarine and Other Curiosities I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 06, 2011 2:46 pm

DoomOnYou72 wrote:
Yes the black color shapers are you friends when it comes to smoothing. I prefer the flat chisel shaped ones myself. My green stuff tools include a large set of dental picks and shapers, some useful clay tools, a couple of homemade items (small tubing to get nice circles and such), left over drill bits, and a few medical scalpels.

YES! But where on EARTH can you buy clay shapers and the like? I can't even find them online. I do want a set for future truescaling projects...
Back to top Go down
DoomOnYou72

DoomOnYou72

PostSubject: Re: Nurgle Techmarine and Other Curiosities   Nurgle Techmarine and Other Curiosities I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 06, 2011 3:07 pm

Ask and you shall receive

Color Shapers

@ Arachas Also shoot me a PM as I can get them alittle cheaper locally (as a set but not as many options) if you would like to try 'em first.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nurgle Techmarine and Other Curiosities   Nurgle Techmarine and Other Curiosities I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Nurgle Techmarine and Other Curiosities
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next