Death Squads Game Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Paint for the paint god: March entries (WIP and complete)

Go down 
+3
Laney
Arachas
Narcissus
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Narcissus

Narcissus

Paint for the paint god: March entries (WIP and complete) Empty
PostSubject: Paint for the paint god: March entries (WIP and complete)   Paint for the paint god: March entries (WIP and complete) I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 26, 2011 1:03 am

It is time. Start posting your March entries for PFTPG. Remember to write:

Goal for the month:
Pictures of completed models
Explanation of some of the work done/techniques used
Highs of the month: (what went right)
Lows of the month:
Goal for next month:

Also, lets try and get lots of comments and constructive criticism going to try and motivate each other!
Back to top Go down
http://rustandthecity.blogspot.com/
Narcissus

Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: Paint for the paint god: March entries (WIP and complete)   Paint for the paint god: March entries (WIP and complete) I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 9:22 pm

Goal for the month: Paint 10 renegades and model 8 orks.

Explanation of some of the work done/techniques used
-painted 2 ork test models
-tried to paint some renegade test models

Krieg Ork Kommandos
Paint for the paint god: March entries (WIP and complete) IMG_8372
Almost completed ork boy and grot with grot blasta. Just need to add some highlights to the jacket and finish the finger nails on both and the feet of the grot.

Paint for the paint god: March entries (WIP and complete) IMG_8374
I am quite happy with the hazard striping. Snakebite leather, sunburst yellow, gryphon sepia, black lines, boltgun metal scratches, vermin brown, bestial brown, blazing orange for the rust.

Paint for the paint god: March entries (WIP and complete) IMG_8376
Masks are made from greenstuff. Still need to add some highlights to the grot eyes.

Paint for the paint god: March entries (WIP and complete) IMG_8377
View of the back. I added some dust and mud on the bottom of the robes. I matched the base but I think I need some brown in there too. Ideas? I want them to look classically krieg dirty and weathered but I am trying to stick to the grey urban bases... Ideas?

Highs:
-finishing the orks with an acceptable color scheme
-got a painting light

Lows of the month:
-still can't decide on a color scheme for the renegades...

Goal for next month:
-completely finish painting and modelling 8+ orks
-complete acceptable test scheme for imperial renegades

Any ideas what colors to do the renegades? Maybe I should have saved the hazard stripes for the renegades. Green + chipped hazard stripes would look nice... I want the green fatigues, I just can't decide on color for the armour. I am not happy with the skin tone but I will try the dead grey look again.

Rifle
Back to top Go down
Arachas

Arachas

PostSubject: Re: Paint for the paint god: March entries (WIP and complete)   Paint for the paint god: March entries (WIP and complete) I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 31, 2011 11:42 pm

Very cool modelling and AWESOME painting. Indeed the hazard striping and the damage are very well done. I want to see more of these!
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Paint for the paint god: March entries (WIP and complete)   Paint for the paint god: March entries (WIP and complete) I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 01, 2011 1:57 am

Most impressive - great work on the hazard striping (precise, but still orky!), very nice GS gas masks too. Overall a great look for the orks.

On the dust - have you tried stippling (with a brush loaded about the same as for drybrushing) to create a dusty effect (maybe with a shade lighter grey than you've currently used)?

Laney Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Narcissus

Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: Paint for the paint god: March entries (WIP and complete)   Paint for the paint god: March entries (WIP and complete) I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 01, 2011 3:07 am

Hmmm. Stippling might be the way to go. I want to get a good dust effect but avoid having it dominate the whole lower parts of the model. Maybe a very this and light grey stipple would be best...
Back to top Go down
Arachas

Arachas

PostSubject: Re: Paint for the paint god: March entries (WIP and complete)   Paint for the paint god: March entries (WIP and complete) I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 01, 2011 3:33 am

Just a note: I have been painting and modelling a lot, I just haven't had the time (ok, I haven't MADE the time) to take pics yet. I will, honestly. But I did enough to fill up a couple months' worth. Smile

Modelled a Catachan Squad
Modelled and painted up to base colors a Slaanesh Squad
Modelled and starting painting various Cadian models with FW parts
Build a new big terrain piece
Continued painting the existing pieces

Just so you guys know. And to make Mord beg me for pics... mwuahaha.
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Paint for the paint god: March entries (WIP and complete)   Paint for the paint god: March entries (WIP and complete) I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 01, 2011 9:10 am

WOW! amazing stripping... and the metal scratching is AWESOME!
Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
Narcissus

Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: Paint for the paint god: March entries (WIP and complete)   Paint for the paint god: March entries (WIP and complete) I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 03, 2011 9:40 am

Okay everyone, post up your work this month. We had so much enthusiasm at the start. It is ok if you did not make your goals. Tell us what you have been working on!

Thanks for the comments on the orks. I am quite pleased with the color scheme. I was hoping for them to be a little more muted overall, but I think they will look good on the tabletop like this and it is not too time consuming to paint.

Here are a few more pics of what I was working on.

Paint for the paint god: March entries (WIP and complete) IMG_8379
Here is a shot of some of the orks I have already put together. I need to finish greenstuffing some jackets, some sleeves (not sure if they will work or not), add some armour on chests and legs, and model a few more canisters on the back and tubes and things.

Paint for the paint god: March entries (WIP and complete) IMG_8386
A shot of an 'ard boy with vox, pain boy, and the weirdboy. I need to decide how to paint the squig...

Paint for the paint god: March entries (WIP and complete) IMG_8387
Here are two rebels who I cannot decide how to paint. I need to just totally finish one up to see how it looks. I am not very good at painting faces. I am also a bit stuck on colors for the armor. Thinking about a dark black metal with rusted patches but I think they might need a little more color. Any tips?

The pictures came out a lot better this time. I just put two pieces of paper in a small box and lit it with a desk lamp. Definitely better than just on the table.

Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Paint for the paint god: March entries (WIP and complete)   Paint for the paint god: March entries (WIP and complete) I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 03, 2011 11:37 am

Love the GS! Very effective.. and your PainBoy.. MMMMM!!! He is dreamy! But I did NOT liked that you cheated me of looking at your Nob! I spotted him on the corner... you can't do that! You can put a cool model like that and then just tease me! I got freaking China and steal your models if you don't showcase them! MORE PICS, I SAY!

Great work!
Back to top Go down
Gatlag Stonetooth

Gatlag Stonetooth

PostSubject: Re: Paint for the paint god: March entries (WIP and complete)   Paint for the paint god: March entries (WIP and complete) I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 8:06 am

Indeed sweet look stuff Narcissus!
Your GS is looking quite "bright", did you use less "blue" in it? Or is the pics?
Back to top Go down
Narcissus

Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: Paint for the paint god: March entries (WIP and complete)   Paint for the paint god: March entries (WIP and complete) I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 05, 2011 10:02 pm

Mord-The Nob is not finished yet. In that picture his back is still hollow. I am working on the greenstuff. I want to add a jacket and maybe a few more cables or something and then he should be done. I will add a nice picture of him this month.

Gatlag-Astute observation. The greenstuff is actually GW greenstuff mixed with half-2/3 green milliput. I detest milliput on its own as it is too slushy and crumbly. I find that a mix is much easier to smooth, less elastic, and much cheaper. I'd like to try procreate and brown stuff as well, but I haven't yet. The greenstuff-milliput mix is quite versatile and really reduces the bubble-gum like texture when working with it.

I have finished the GS work on another 3.5 orks. I have the weirdboy finished, the mad doc just needs shoulder pads, and 2 orks finished. One has a steel pipe for a club. I am trying to sculpt some more death korps style armor on them (shin guards, layered shoulder pads, chest armour). I tried using some guitar wire for cables as well, but it is so difficult to work with. The previous cables are plasticard tubes wrapped with thin wire and bent with a lighter.

Post your March WIPs!
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Paint for the paint god: March entries (WIP and complete)   Paint for the paint god: March entries (WIP and complete) I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 1:36 am

Another slow month for me (I'll try to post pics later today)...

Albino finished (along with his retinue) - but I'll not post pics of those until Mord gets them (and considering I haven't sent them to him yet he might have a wait!).

Rogue trader Lucifer Kidd Started (latest pics posted on his own thread) along with a couple of his squad. I modelled another recruit/LGT carrying a customised hellgun/lasgun and vox array.

Kommandos not started - I have modelled a new sneaky boss though - He's using a Grey Knight Interceptor backpack, which has been upgraded to an Ork Mobil Tellyporta, to represent his ability to infiltrate and deepstrike. He's also carrying a new Snazzray! All stolen from a local Mek.

Highs: Finishing the Albino! Buying the Grey Knights (Power Armour) boxset and realising the best use for the teleporting backpacks was for Orks and Possessed Chaos Marines.

Lows: Getting very little completed and not being able to run my club (so no DS games) for the last month (hopefully back after the exams start!).

Cheers Laney Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mordoten

PostSubject: Re: Paint for the paint god: March entries (WIP and complete)   Paint for the paint god: March entries (WIP and complete) I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 3:09 am

Sneakyboss can deepstrike??
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Paint for the paint god: March entries (WIP and complete)   Paint for the paint god: March entries (WIP and complete) I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 3:49 am

@ Mordoten: Please post questions about Game Units on the QUESTION section. Wink
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Paint for the paint god: March entries (WIP and complete)   Paint for the paint god: March entries (WIP and complete) I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 06, 2011 1:14 pm

Sorry Mord, My fault for not being clear enough - Mordoten - I meant Da Cunnin' skill that can be taken to give him that ability.

Cheers Laney Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Gatlag Stonetooth

Gatlag Stonetooth

PostSubject: Re: Paint for the paint god: March entries (WIP and complete)   Paint for the paint god: March entries (WIP and complete) I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 4:44 am

Narcissus wrote:
Gatlag-Astute observation. The greenstuff is actually GW greenstuff mixed with half-2/3 green milliput. I detest milliput on its own as it is too slushy and crumbly. I find that a mix is much easier to smooth, less elastic, and much cheaper. I'd like to try procreate and brown stuff as well, but I haven't yet. The greenstuff-milliput mix is quite versatile and really reduces the bubble-gum like texture when working with it.
Aha! Very Happy
I'd like to give that procreate stuff a try as well sometime, curious if it's better to work with.
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Paint for the paint god: March entries (WIP and complete)   Paint for the paint god: March entries (WIP and complete) I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 3:17 am

Hi Guys,

This is all the modelling I managed last month (none so far this month either)...
Techy Sneaky Boss... (with tellyporta pack and snazzray)
Paint for the paint god: March entries (WIP and complete) Img_7817
Paint for the paint god: March entries (WIP and complete) Img_7818
Paint for the paint god: March entries (WIP and complete) Img_7819
Paint for the paint god: March entries (WIP and complete) Img_7820

Rogue Trader Soldier (ex-stormtrooper - sight replaced by advanced sonar an integrated auspex scanners))
Paint for the paint god: March entries (WIP and complete) Img_7821
Paint for the paint god: March entries (WIP and complete) Img_7822

New goal for April: Finish any three models, fully painted regardless of what they are (must include part of my Christmas present - Lugft Huron or FW Tau Battlesuit).

Sorry about the pic quality - just some quick snaps!
Laney
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Arachas

Arachas

PostSubject: Re: Paint for the paint god: March entries (WIP and complete)   Paint for the paint god: March entries (WIP and complete) I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 3:55 am

Daaaaang it Lanes. Da shizzle. Both outstanding models, tons of cool details, awesome poses...

I WISH I WAS YOU!
Back to top Go down
Narcissus

Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: Paint for the paint god: March entries (WIP and complete)   Paint for the paint god: March entries (WIP and complete) I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 6:06 am

The sneaky boss has tons of character. Are those cables the pewter ones from Dragon forge? How are they to work with?

I will look forward to seeing the sneaky boss painted up. A very dynamic looking model.
Back to top Go down
Kiwi

Kiwi

PostSubject: Re: Paint for the paint god: March entries (WIP and complete)   Paint for the paint god: March entries (WIP and complete) I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 6:08 pm

Awesome conversions.
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Paint for the paint god: March entries (WIP and complete)   Paint for the paint god: March entries (WIP and complete) I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2011 2:46 am

Thanks guys - it's nice to know that the little I did worked out!Very Happy

Yes, they are the Dragonforge cables. They are excellent to use - very easy (but I've got through the pack very quickly they are that useful!). I went for the mixed bag and found that the smaller size was great for human sized models, hellguns etc. the mid-sized cables for Orks and the larger cables are going into scenery pieces. I'll bulk buy next time!

Cheers Laney Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Paint for the paint god: March entries (WIP and complete)   Paint for the paint god: March entries (WIP and complete) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Paint for the paint god: March entries (WIP and complete)
Page 1 of 1