Death Squads Game Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Painting Advice

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
TheNotoriousBox

Painting Advice Empty
PostSubject: Painting Advice   Painting Advice I_icon_minitimeSun May 15, 2011 8:27 am

Howdy guys. Very Happy

I know I haven't been on for awhile, but you know how school goes .... LOL

With most of my testing and that sort done, I've been getting back into 40k, I recently stripped my guardsmen and are attempting to repaint them. Being a bad painter I need some advice ....

This is what I'd like to base my guard after.

http://killzone.wikia.com/wiki/File:ISA_Regular.jpg
Painting Advice ISA_Regular

Any advice would be great.

Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

Painting Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting Advice   Painting Advice I_icon_minitimeSun May 15, 2011 9:45 am

I don't think this would be difficult. Of course, Laney is the expert when it comes visualizing colors. First, I would suggest reading all the TUTORIALS, specially Laney's Tutorial on Washes.

Washing will take any mediocre ('meh') model to a great ('cool!') standard in a flash. It is a great technique for meh! painters like me! HA! The washing will bring out the details AND create the shadows you are looking for.

Like always, start with a basic model... no point on getting fancy on the 1st try! Wink I will use GW's color names (LINK) although I honestly prefer Vallejo Paints. Since I think you are going for natural environments camo (rather than urban), I suggest the following.

Apply a base coat of Camo Green. It will give that subtle green you are looking for. Then paint the Armor, Helmet, Pads, etc with Rotting Flesh. Nice subtle contrast. Then paint Boots, gloves and accessories could be Shadow Grey. Paint the skin Human Flesh and the weapon black.

You can LIGHTLY apply a green wash over the camo green. It will bring details and depth. AFTER the model dries (important!), apply a brown (mud) wash to the whole model. You will bring detail to all sections and tone down the green. The face will gain depth, which is critical! After the model is dry, drybrush boltgun metal over the gun and paint the the visor orange (you could try a 'gem reflection effect' if you feel brave!). Finally, drybrush LIGHTLY some brown in the lower leg/boot if you feel necessary.

Last... BASE THE MODEL!!! Nothing fancy, but it completes the illusion.

If you want Urban Camo, base Rotten Flesh, armor (etc) Fortress Grey, Black wash instead of green. That is the best I can come up with!

The price for this advice? PICTURES!!!! We would love to see pictures of your work (even if you think they are bad... we maybe able to help!) GOOD LUCK!
Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
RyanIronwolf

Painting Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting Advice   Painting Advice I_icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2011 4:05 pm

I agree, sounds like a good estimation of the palette and use of washes. Love the GW washes and the ones from Secret Weapon that Les Bursley does.

I concur with Mord...Vallejo are my faves. Liking some of the P3 line and some of the reaper paints. Good stuff

Mordheimer wrote:
I don't think this would be difficult. Of course, Laney is the expert when it comes visualizing colors. First, I would suggest reading all the TUTORIALS, specially Laney's Tutorial on Washes.

Washing will take any mediocre ('meh') model to a great ('cool!') standard in a flash. It is a great technique for meh! painters like me! HA! The washing will bring out the details AND create the shadows you are looking for.

Like always, start with a basic model... no point on getting fancy on the 1st try! Wink I will use GW's color names (LINK) although I honestly prefer Vallejo Paints. Since I think you are going for natural environments camo (rather than urban), I suggest the following.

Apply a base coat of Camo Green. It will give that subtle green you are looking for. Then paint the Armor, Helmet, Pads, etc with Rotting Flesh. Nice subtle contrast. Then paint Boots, gloves and accessories could be Shadow Grey. Paint the skin Human Flesh and the weapon black.

You can LIGHTLY apply a green wash over the camo green. It will bring details and depth. AFTER the model dries (important!), apply a brown (mud) wash to the whole model. You will bring detail to all sections and tone down the green. The face will gain depth, which is critical! After the model is dry, drybrush boltgun metal over the gun and paint the the visor orange (you could try a 'gem reflection effect' if you feel brave!). Finally, drybrush LIGHTLY some brown in the lower leg/boot if you feel necessary.

Last... BASE THE MODEL!!! Nothing fancy, but it completes the illusion.

If you want Urban Camo, base Rotten Flesh, armor (etc) Fortress Grey, Black wash instead of green. That is the best I can come up with!

The price for this advice? PICTURES!!!! We would love to see pictures of your work (even if you think they are bad... we maybe able to help!) GOOD LUCK!
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

Painting Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting Advice   Painting Advice I_icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2011 1:46 am

Using GW colours...

Mord's got the colours absolutely right for the look you're after (and no mixing needed). The only things I've got to add is really thin your washes in both cases and if you can help it don't use thraka green on its own - it's too vibrant. I would possibly do a very thin mix of devlan mud and thraka green, or get a better green wash from another company (something I keep meaning to do myself).

On the face, try ogryn flesh wash or a mix of baal red and devlan mud washes.

If you drybrush brown on the legs go for a lighter brown (darker brown will look too much like paint, rather than dried/drying mud) and make sure that this is carried through to the base.

Hope this helps

Cheers Laney
Back to top Go down
Arachas

Arachas

Painting Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting Advice   Painting Advice I_icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2011 2:05 am

I think camo green is far too bright and full for its intended use, which is camouflage. Unless you're in between a bunch of bright green, early spring trees the color just jumps at you.

For the trooper in the picture I'd go with Catachan Green and then add Bleached Bone into the mix, starting with just a little and adding more for each highlight.

And yes, washes rock.
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

Painting Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting Advice   Painting Advice I_icon_minitimeWed May 18, 2011 1:37 pm

You might just be right on the catachan green thing - quite a bit more subtle, plus it would help the orange visor really 'pop'. I want to trial this colour scheme now - sounds like a great idea.

Laney Very Happy
Back to top Go down
TheNotoriousBox

Painting Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting Advice   Painting Advice I_icon_minitimeMon May 23, 2011 10:29 pm

Thanks guys for all the advice. Smile

Now I got a question, if I went down the route of mixing Catachan Green and Bleached Bone what would be the composition? 50:50, 60:40, or something else?
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

Painting Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting Advice   Painting Advice I_icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2011 1:21 am

Depends alot on your undercoat - if you go white then more catachan green, if you go black more bleached bone.

You can tell a lot from how it will look on the palette.

Best advice is to paint up a test figure with 50:50 (easiest one to do and replicate) and see how it looks - then adjust accordingly with what looks right. If its too dark go for a more bleached bone heavy mix and paint over it (it will add a level of shading at least)

Cheers Laney
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

Painting Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting Advice   Painting Advice I_icon_minitimeTue May 24, 2011 9:38 am

I 2nd Laney's comments. Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
Sponsored content

Painting Advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Painting Advice   Painting Advice I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Painting Advice
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Death Squads Game Forums :: Death Squads - Community :: Painting & Modeling-
Jump to: