Death Squads Game Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Airbrushes?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Narcissus

Narcissus

Airbrushes? Empty
PostSubject: Airbrushes?   Airbrushes? I_icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2011 11:19 am

Airbrushes, does anyone on here use them for their miniatures? I have seen a bit about them lately and am intrigued by the idea of speeding up base coats. I enjoy painting but really wish I could speed it up. Any advice, examples, ideas, etc. would be appreciated. Also good to hear what they are being used for in this community. I was also thinking that they could be great for terrain as I find that basecoating terrain is really tedious.

Airbrushes. Do you have one? Would you get one? Worth the expense?
Back to top Go down
http://rustandthecity.blogspot.com/
Laney

Laney

Airbrushes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Airbrushes?   Airbrushes? I_icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2011 4:22 pm

I've not got one, but I'm intrigued about airbrushes myself - it would really help with the terrain I'm painting and the new armies I need to basecoat!

Laney Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

Airbrushes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Airbrushes?   Airbrushes? I_icon_minitimeMon May 16, 2011 6:57 pm

I have an airbrush... Embarassed The WORST person here to have one! When I was painting (seems like CENTURIES ago) I used them to base coat AND to remove excess paint. Things I learned...

• Experimentation with paint turns out EXPENSIVE! Do not start with GW or Vallejo paints... heheheh... the best thing is going for some Craft paints. They are CHEAP and plentiful.
  • Experiment with paint:water mixture. Too much paint, the airbrush 'spits'. Too watery, paint 'runs'. See point above.
  • Use INDOORS... wind SUCKS.
  • Use OUTDOORS... or risk paining your red car spotted camo green and get beat up by your wife. TWICE.
  • Use a water filter for your compressor; if the air is 'wet', you mess up you paint:water ratio. Let's face it... you spend over $150 in a compressor... don't be cheap and fork for a $5 filter?
  • Experiment with range. Too close and you have too much paint on your model. If this happens, use the airbrush WITHOUT paint (blows dry air) and takes paint out of crevices.
  • It is VERY difficult to use in our model scale. GREAT base-coat for models and vehicles (as well as camo).
  • If anyone finds a PRIMER that you can buy in bulk (like a gallon), then you are set for LIFE. Use this to create your own primer for pennies. Currently, I can't anything... instead I was buying 'tiny' flasks.
  • Be mentally prepared to WASTE lots of paint. I calculated that I lost 40% of paint in 'mist'. MOVE YOUR CAR AWAY!!!

That is all the wisdom I have. Grenade
Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
Dysturbed

Dysturbed

Airbrushes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Airbrushes?   Airbrushes? I_icon_minitimeTue May 17, 2011 12:23 am

Look at the tutorials by Les from Awesomepaintjob.com on youtube.
He has been one of the leaders in starting to use the airbrush. He uses it to create lighting effects too by applying directional lighter color coats to give the illusion of a true highlight. Anyhow as far as what airbrush to get and all that he has a vid that shows what he uses.
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

Airbrushes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Airbrushes?   Airbrushes? I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 01, 2011 4:02 am

I've just bought a new airbrush (Badger Precision), not even got it out of the box yet. I plan on using it on my next army (The Legion of Rust - Nurgle with less Green!) and to re-do my Blood Angels (I might even end up with two painted 1500-2000 point armies!). I'll give an update on how it goes later. I didn't get a compressor yet - I'll probably get that next month and pay silly amounts for air in a can instead for now!

Cheers Laney Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Airbrushes? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Airbrushes?   Airbrushes? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Airbrushes?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Death Squads Game Forums :: Other Topics :: General Interest-
Jump to: