Death Squads Game Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Town of Novac.

Go down 
+13
cody20
Narcissus
Lord GreyWolf
ClausLars
Colonel Prius
Laney
dumdeedum
Arachas
Gatlag Stonetooth
Chuchosky
edward
Mordheimer
Komfritten
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Komfritten

Komfritten

The Town of Novac. Empty
PostSubject: The Town of Novac.   The Town of Novac. I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 5:21 pm

I started to think of how to build Novac, a medium sized town, on the Road 88 from Rust Valley. The town had had its first run-in with the war (some orks and IR had a dispute over some gass).

I saw a battle report from Chuchosky with some cool modular terrain, and though "cool idea - I'm gonna rip that terrain!" So thanks to Chuchosky for the idea, now I hope to build my little town.

Here's the first (un-painted and not-finished) piece, which is a road. The idea is to have enough road to "fill the gaps" between the buildings on the table. There will be turns and intersections, and the buildings will be build on the same base-sizes, or a size witch is compatible with the road (which is 15x30cm) so a building could be everyting from 15x15 cm to 30x30 cm:

The Town of Novac. 2011-07-25231332

The Town of Novac. 2011-07-25231358

And a starting idea for some industrial buildings, idea taken from the miniwargaming site. Have to pull them off the board though and glue some cardboard on (just like on the road) so it's level with the road.

The Town of Novac. 2011-07-25231930

The Town of Novac. 2011-07-25232000

Hopefully I will be able to finish and paint some of it tomorrow, but the wives parents are about to visit, so I'll probably have the little one Wink

And now the road piece are ready for painting (in an hour or so), the parents in law are requisting my time (nice people btw), so its not as fast as I would like it to be LOL

The Town of Novac. 2011-07-26161554

Last edited by Komfritten on Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

The Town of Novac. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Town of Novac.   The Town of Novac. I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 6:51 pm

This is SOOO cool! You need to add some Fallout stuff... HA! It is awesome! I like the light posts!
Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
edward

edward

The Town of Novac. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Town of Novac.   The Town of Novac. I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 7:22 pm

amazing terrain i too love the sign posts

btw maybe some signs on the buildings for nuka cola or propoganda
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

The Town of Novac. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Town of Novac.   The Town of Novac. I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 7:54 pm

YEAY! Some ideas for some signs...

The Town of Novac. Ad-bloodweiser The Town of Novac. Nesquig The Town of Novac. MGoblinM

The Town of Novac. NurgleKingB The Town of Novac. Ratbullcompleted0ww

The Town of Novac. LiceKrispies02 The Town of Novac. Untitled

Find more HERE!
Back to top Go down
edward

edward

The Town of Novac. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Town of Novac.   The Town of Novac. I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2011 8:53 pm

i was thinking more of those ww2 this man is your FRIEND he fights for FREEDOM with maybe a picture of a cadian or one of the fallout slogans ie instead of NCR/ Imperial and proud
Back to top Go down
Chuchosky

Chuchosky

The Town of Novac. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Town of Novac.   The Town of Novac. I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2011 3:42 am

Glad of beeing your inspiration Embarassed , but Mordheimer and Laneys are mine Rolling Eyes .

I build my scenography in 25cmx25cm panels, and the roads in 5x25, 10x25 ,15x25 or 20x25.

Want to see more and get some of your ideas Very Happy, actually im doig some scenagraphy for TLOTR that dont fit very well with my ruined city of Death Squads, but when the new TLRB come ill continue with my city.
Back to top Go down
Gatlag Stonetooth

Gatlag Stonetooth

The Town of Novac. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Town of Novac.   The Town of Novac. I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2011 7:42 am

Great board!
Seems like 30 x 30 is the best size for modular boards, I've used that size as well. Very Happy
I also have road sections of 15 x 30 cm, although my roads don't have curbs.
Haven't got a crossroad section so I'm curious how you are going to do those.
Back to top Go down
Komfritten

Komfritten

The Town of Novac. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Town of Novac.   The Town of Novac. I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2011 8:36 am

I like te diversity of a modular table, but at the same time I recognise that I have to have a LOT of terrain to pull it of :s

I'll try to make a curve and an crossroad tonight and upload some pics. The quality is a little low, As I take pics with my tablet when building to speed up the process Wink
Back to top Go down
Gatlag Stonetooth

Gatlag Stonetooth

The Town of Novac. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Town of Novac.   The Town of Novac. I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2011 8:47 am

Cool! Very curious!
I'd have made some pics of my terrain but that's still in moving boxes at my friends house so I'll have to wait for that... Sad
Back to top Go down
Komfritten

Komfritten

The Town of Novac. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Town of Novac.   The Town of Novac. I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2011 10:20 am

Hmm I edited my first post to prevent the thread filling up, but then it does not show I added something new - I find it cooler to have the pictures, and so forth, in the same post... what to do, what to do? ...
Back to top Go down
Gatlag Stonetooth

Gatlag Stonetooth

The Town of Novac. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Town of Novac.   The Town of Novac. I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2011 10:31 am

Komfritten wrote:
Hmm I edited my first post to prevent the thread filling up, but then it does not show I added something new - I find it cooler to have the pictures, and so forth, in the same post... what to do, what to do? ...
I think the best way is just to add a new post, that way people will receive an email saying that there's a new post. Plus it reads better because when one gets that email they will immediately see the new picture(s) instead of having to browse back to the first post in the topic to see them.
Back to top Go down
Komfritten

Komfritten

The Town of Novac. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Town of Novac.   The Town of Novac. I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2011 10:40 am

True. And at the end of the thread I can merge the whole thing.
Back to top Go down
Komfritten

Komfritten

The Town of Novac. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Town of Novac.   The Town of Novac. I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2011 12:20 pm

Ok the start of the crossroad looks like this:

The Town of Novac. 2011-07-26180909

and with the start of the boardwalk:

The Town of Novac. 2011-07-26181712

Took a very simple aproach - that udually works for me =)
Back to top Go down
Arachas

Arachas

The Town of Novac. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Town of Novac.   The Town of Novac. I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2011 1:34 pm

More. More! MORE!!
Back to top Go down
Komfritten

Komfritten

The Town of Novac. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Town of Novac.   The Town of Novac. I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2011 4:32 pm

The work continues:

The Town of Novac. 2011-07-26222307

and as adviced by many a wise man - never drink alchol alone, so I brought my ork pirate to the table Wink
Back to top Go down
edward

edward

The Town of Novac. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Town of Novac.   The Town of Novac. I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2011 4:36 pm

wow....

more pics please and some close ups of the ork pirate he looks cool
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

The Town of Novac. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Town of Novac.   The Town of Novac. I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2011 4:57 pm

If you update the 1st post... go ahead and also post a new comment (something like 1st post updated with more pics!) But you may as well put the pics on the last comment, so people can follow the progression. This is YOUR post, you do as you wish.... AS LONG AS YOU POST PICS!

If not, I will have that Ork Pirate gut you! ARRRRRGGGGGGGGG!!!!!

Your roads are looking amazing. I like the lines.... very cool! If you want to go CRAZY.... ask Laney about putting LEDs on the street lights. HA! Great job, thanks for sharing. WOW! And that pirate... make a new thread for him! He looks amazing!
Back to top Go down
Komfritten

Komfritten

The Town of Novac. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Town of Novac.   The Town of Novac. I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2011 5:19 pm

Heh - close up of the ork. He is from scorpion games, and from before I learned how to paint in layers Just Kidding

The Town of Novac. 2011-07-26231040

The finished road:

The Town of Novac. 2011-07-26231109

and some closer up's of the lamp posts:

The Town of Novac. 2011-07-26231455

The Town of Novac. 2011-07-26231517

The roads, I think, will be fast and rough, with no more detail than this - on those I go for playability, and will try to put in details between projects =)
Back to top Go down
dumdeedum

dumdeedum

The Town of Novac. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Town of Novac.   The Town of Novac. I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2011 6:01 pm

What do you mean, "no more detail than this" it looks amazing and very detailed.

Your work is exceptional and you do it very fast, I'm genuinely amazed at how great your scenery is and how much of it you've made.
Back to top Go down
edward

edward

The Town of Novac. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Town of Novac.   The Town of Novac. I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2011 6:05 pm

if thats your rough and ready painting, i wonder what your detailed stuff look like
Back to top Go down
Komfritten

Komfritten

The Town of Novac. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Town of Novac.   The Town of Novac. I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2011 6:13 pm

I'll make a gallery in another thread tommorrow I think.

The paint-job is basically wet-brush, then drypbrush in 2-3 layers.

The edge of the boardwalk (is that the right word?), is painted and washed.

The lamp-posts are boltgun and "dabbed" with brown.

Fast and dirty Pistol

I do generally not go further into detail, but there are some projects who need that little more, like grass, some skulls, and details like that, and in that perspective also need some more "detailed attention" Just Kidding
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

The Town of Novac. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Town of Novac.   The Town of Novac. I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2011 6:23 pm

It is VERY good! We are lucky you shared this with us... it will be inspiration for many other players!

Since you are going for the 'old dusty town' look, I would suggest some dry grass near base of one of the lamps or in the cracks on the asphalt. Or not... it looks great anyways!
Back to top Go down
Komfritten

Komfritten

The Town of Novac. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Town of Novac.   The Town of Novac. I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 26, 2011 6:28 pm

Great suggestion. I'll have to take that with me from my trip to my lokal GW push... store...

Thought of the the grass idea meself, and it would not take many seconds to apply it. Think it will be a general overhaul, when I have a bigger batch of roads done.

Now for some sleep. The little one will wake me up in a couple of hours - and the little bugger is just not old enough to play DS ... yet Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Arachas

Arachas

The Town of Novac. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Town of Novac.   The Town of Novac. I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2011 3:16 am

This makes me want to build some terrain. Very cool!

Btw, I like the black/yellow striping better than the red/yellow striping. My humble opinion.
Back to top Go down
Komfritten

Komfritten

The Town of Novac. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Town of Novac.   The Town of Novac. I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 27, 2011 3:28 am

Hmm I see Your point. But I simply do not like black on my terrain or figures... maybe shades of gray?

But I think I'll keep the red/yellow for now, because I want to have *some* colour into the terrain, but I suppose you fint it too strong - colourwise?

[edit]

Hmmm, just scrolled back to the earlier pictures... and find that you *may* be right... I'll maybe try with a shade of black, ore even white?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Town of Novac. Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Town of Novac.   The Town of Novac. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Town of Novac.
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next