The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Komfritten's IG Squad

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Komfritten

PostSubject: Re: Komfritten's IG Squad   Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:43 pm

A WiP of one of my leutenants, the decals are not dryed yet, and need washing:

Back to top Go down
Arachas

PostSubject: Re: Komfritten's IG Squad   Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:16 pm

That's it, mine are getting decals, too! ;D

Avatar art by HeavyMetalHanzo. Used with express permission.
Back to top Go down
DoZer

PostSubject: Re: Komfritten's IG Squad   Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:40 pm

Its amazing what some decals, softener, and satin glaze will do to a model. I have been a big fan of micro sol and micro set for years. As a matter of fact, NONE of my models have any free-hand symbols or numbers.

2. Though shalt not refer to thine brethren, whom the Emperor has dictated be armed with an incendiary weapon, as a "Flamer" constantly. For this has been proven to lower morale and cause strife within His Most Holy showering facilities.
3. Thou shalt not follow a Librarian around thinking, "Can you hear me now", repetitively in an attempt to drive him insane.
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Komfritten's IG Squad   Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:23 pm

Komfritten wrote:
... but the nagging voice (yes I have a good imagination) of his kept pushing me...
Insolent fool! It was ME! I asked my Lord Tzeentch for the power to project my thoughts in the most crowded place in the Cosmos and make my will and I ended up across the ocean in Denmark, inside your schizophrenic mind. It was REALLY crowded... but I got my wish and you made my bidding! MUAHAHAHAHA!!!! Twisted Evil

Seriously, that IG when from wow to POW!!! Amazing! The weathering is cool! I learned to put decals from Dozer. *sigh* I'm a puppet I tell you!

Another Challenge? Try the gem/reflecting technique on the leutenant's glasses! Trust me... you will NOT regret it! GO Komfritten!

Support Bacteria; it is the ONLY culture some people have!
Since I ask "What do you think?" to all Staff, I have included it here to save time.

DoZer Flamethrower Mordheimer Justice NEEDS to be Served! Maybe 3rd Degree burns will teach you not to Tom Sawyer me to work!

Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
Laney

PostSubject: Re: Komfritten's IG Squad   Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:53 am

The decals look ace (as do the models overall). I had some early decal failures (which is why I always freehand). I might need to go back and try them again though - anyone know a good tutorial on the best technique?

Laney Very Happy

Komfritten

PostSubject: Re: Komfritten's IG Squad   Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:39 am

I used this one:

http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/blog/2010/03/applying-decals/
Back to top Go down
Arachas

PostSubject: Re: Komfritten's IG Squad   Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:01 am

Do you really need the softener for good results? I've never heard of it.

Back to top Go down
Komfritten

PostSubject: Re: Komfritten's IG Squad   Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:11 am

On round surfaces it's the thing, I think... On straight surfaces which have no structure itdoesn't matter.
Back to top Go down
DoZer

PostSubject: Re: Komfritten's IG Squad   Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:16 am

Softener is key for rounded surfaces. However....just a little bit whine it's on a flat surface will melt it just enough to make it look like it was painted on. Also, if you are using a big decal, say for example a Dark Angels winged sword on a Space Marine, you must cut little slits across the decal so that it will curve properly along the shoulder pad.

2. Though shalt not refer to thine brethren, whom the Emperor has dictated be armed with an incendiary weapon, as a "Flamer" constantly. For this has been proven to lower morale and cause strife within His Most Holy showering facilities.
3. Thou shalt not follow a Librarian around thinking, "Can you hear me now", repetitively in an attempt to drive him insane.
Back to top Go down
Arachas

PostSubject: Re: Komfritten's IG Squad   Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:18 am

DoZer wrote:
Softener is key for rounded surfaces. However....just a little bit whine it's on a flat surface will melt it just enough to make it look like it was painted on. Also, if you are using a big decal, say for example a Dark Angels winged sword on a Space Marine, you must cut little slits across the decal so that it will curve properly along the shoulder pad.

Whine?

And where can I get this softener? Hobby stores? Maybe somewhere online?

Back to top Go down
DoZer

PostSubject: Re: Komfritten's IG Squad   Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:41 am

Sorry iPhone.... And early AM. it's supposed to be when.

I would suggest checking out:
Micro Sol

Micro Set

Back to top Go down
Komfritten

PostSubject: Re: Komfritten's IG Squad   Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:47 pm

Off topic, but slightly related - a walkway!

While is was making the other shield to my 2nd sergeant, I was thinking of my walkway problem... and thought maybe ... MAYBE! this plasticard could be used for walkway-sides...

So some cutting and a very fast and dirty paintjob - here it is: the prototype:

Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Komfritten's IG Squad   Sun Oct 23, 2011 7:01 pm

I use Micro Sol as suggested by Dozer. I will NEVER go back! It is true... it kindda 'melts' the decal so it goes into every shape. In Shoulder Pads? Say GOODBYE to wrinkles! I had one decal go accidentally over a 'stud' in a tank. I was ANGRY because I could see a 'tent'. Some Solvent... and few minutes later it looked like someone had painted the image over the rivet. It was amazing!

Since I ask "What do you think?" to all Staff, I have included it here to save time.

DoZer Flamethrower Mordheimer Justice NEEDS to be Served! Maybe 3rd Degree burns will teach you not to Tom Sawyer me to work!

Back to top Go down
Komfritten

PostSubject: Re: Komfritten's IG Squad   Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:59 pm

A WiP of my 2nd leutenant:

Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Komfritten's IG Squad   Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:05 pm

Wow! Good job on those eyes! Also, the right cheek seems to have a scar... AWESOME! Good job!

Back to top Go down
Arachas

PostSubject: Re: Komfritten's IG Squad   Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:57 am

Mordheimer wrote:
Wow! Good job on those eyes! Also, the right cheek seems to have a scar... AWESOME! Good job!

It IS cool, but it's also part of the model. ;D

You're inspiring me, Komfritten. Hopefully I'll be able to post some stuff of my own soon.

Back to top Go down
Komfritten

PostSubject: Re: Komfritten's IG Squad   Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:23 pm

2nd lt. done only need basing:

Back to top Go down
dumdeedum

PostSubject: Re: Komfritten's IG Squad   Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:17 am

Nice paintjob, he definitly looks like he means business Smile
Back to top Go down
Arachas

PostSubject: Re: Komfritten's IG Squad   Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:57 am

I love how you painted the cloth. Subtle shading and it looks like it's got texture.

The highlights on the armor are bordering on the extreme, though. It's Camo Green on Catachan Green, no? I'd advise mixing the two for the highlights, it will be more in tune with the rest of the model.

Back to top Go down
Komfritten

PostSubject: Re: Komfritten's IG Squad   Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:50 am

I know about the highlighting... You are right about the colours, but for some reason I rather like it... Even though it's not as realistic.

I like the cloth too, it's rather easy, and somewhat fast.
Back to top Go down
Arachas

PostSubject: Re: Komfritten's IG Squad   Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:22 am

Komfritten wrote:
I know about the highlighting... You are right about the colours, but for some reason I rather like it... Even though it's not as realistic.

Then forget what I said. The goal is to be happy with your creations. Smile

Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Komfritten's IG Squad   Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:09 pm

Excellent model! Can wait to see him in your AWESOME terrain! Just Kidding

Although the colors of the highlight are not 'natural' looking, the effect on the Lasun (and thus the overall model) is... 'electric'! I mean... like 'radioactive'... full of power!

Hehehe.... Shooting Mah Laza! It is a weird effect... but it does look good! I like my models to look a little more natural, just because I do NOT have the imagination (or vision) to see such effects.

It is an awesome job... even more when YOU are happy with it! Very Happy

Back to top Go down
darcchipmunk

PostSubject: Re: Komfritten's IG Squad   Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:01 pm

The cloth looks awesome. I really like it. I also like how the guy looks like hes smirking (either a shadow or line on the right side of his face)

I agree the highlights on the gun and shoulder pads are unconventional, but I don't think that's bad. I'm sure those highlights would look really cool in low/indirect light.

Keep it up man!
Back to top Go down
Komfritten

PostSubject: Re: Komfritten's IG Squad   Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:59 pm

Got another IG ready. Just rectuited him for game 4 tomorrow, and I just needed to have a shotgun with me!

He is the model I've painted the fastest ever, but I'm rather happy with the results =)

Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Komfritten's IG Squad   Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:57 pm

WOW! Fast paint = GREAT painting! Nice shotgun conversion and the eyes... are angry!!!

Great job!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Komfritten's IG Squad   Today at 6:14 pm

Back to top Go down

Komfritten's IG Squad
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next