Death Squads Game Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!)

Go down 
+7
Gatlag Stonetooth
DoZer
Komfritten
Lazi
DeafNala
Narcissus
Mordheimer
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!)   Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2011 3:29 pm

Komfritten wrote:
Before paint or structurizing, I would recommend that you smoothen out the inside of the windows and get that smudge away - they are like the moulding lines on minis - just not to be there (meself is the most lazy guy on earth when it comes to molding lines). I would take some PVA and use a finger, rounding them off. (beware of papercuts!)

THANKS! I will do that! Salute
Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
DeafNala

DeafNala

PostSubject: Re: Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!)   Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2011 8:53 pm

VERY NICE PROGRESS! You're starting to develop a real flair for the scenery!
Keep up the FINE WORK! cheers
Back to top Go down
dumdeedum

dumdeedum

PostSubject: Re: Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!)   Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2011 8:55 pm

Everything you have just added really brings the building to life, I'm especially liking the cracks, can't wait to see how it ends up Smile
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!)   Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2011 6:41 pm

Thanks guys! Mini update... no pics yet.

I added the missing 'ledges to the windows and 'sealed' the window frames with PVA glue as Komfritten suggested. It did smoothed the openings. They look nice. THANKS!

I took some of my Vallejo's Coarse Pomez Stone on the columns and inside the building, to give it texture. This thing is magical... it is a paste with crushed pomez stone mixed in for a very coarse texture... it is sticky, water based and odorless! It also takes paint like a champ!

Please note that I did NOT applied it as thick as the illustration, because the idea is to give some roughness. If I had the ultra fine paste, I would had cover the whole thing.

Right now is drying... bounce when it is done, I will post pics!

Soon will be time for some paint! Mr. Burns

Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!) - Page 2 -Images-ProductImages-av26212

Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!) - Page 2 Pomez-blanca-212

Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!)   Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2011 11:39 am

Sorry for the double post... over 12 hours? Heheheh

bounce UPDATE TIME!! bounce

OK, here is the building with all the aesthetics completed. I decided to make the areas with texture a little more compacted, so I passed a 2nd layer of the pomez stone. I finished the inside too, with a 2nd coat. I noticed that the 1st coat did not covered the tape well, but left a 'residue' to which the 2nd coat attached very well. After it all dried, I had to make sure to clean up the windows again!

Here is the end result.
Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!) - Page 2 B01-ConstWiP39
Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!) - Page 2 B01-ConstWiP40Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!) - Page 2 B01-ConstWiP41
Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!) - Page 2 B01-ConstWiP42
Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!) - Page 2 B01-ConstWiP43

Some details... Note that I had to retrace all the holes and cracks. I don't know how they will paint, but this is an experiment, right?
Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!) - Page 2 B01-ConstWiP44
Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!) - Page 2 B01-ConstWiP45
Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!) - Page 2 B01-ConstWiP46
Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!) - Page 2 B01-ConstWiP47
Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!) - Page 2 B01-ConstWiP48
Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!) - Page 2 B01-ConstWiP49
Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!) - Page 2 B01-ConstWiP50
Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!) - Page 2 B01-ConstWiP51
Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!) - Page 2 B01-ConstWiP52
Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!) - Page 2 B01-ConstWiP53
Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!) - Page 2 B01-ConstWiP54
Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!) - Page 2 B01-ConstWiP55

Finally, the Collapsible Building!
Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!) - Page 2 B01-ConstWiP56
Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!) - Page 2 B01-ConstWiP57
Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!) - Page 2 B01-ConstWiP58

I started painting. The wall will get a drybrush of lighter grey and some wash with sepia and brown. The areas between the columns (windows) will get beige (bone white) treatment, with some sepia or brown wash. The floor will get a metallic drybrush and some rust. First, and undercoat with grey.
Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!) - Page 2 B01-PaintWiP01
Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!) - Page 2 B01-PaintWiP02
Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!) - Page 2 B01-PaintWiP03
Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!) - Page 2 B01-PaintWiP04

More updates at a later time. Any suggestions are welcomed!
Back to top Go down
Komfritten

Komfritten

PostSubject: Re: Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!)   Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2011 12:58 pm

Well, I can only say what I do for concrete walls:

- Basecoat black
- "Wetbrush" dark grey (not entirely covering the black)
- Drybrush light grey
- very light drybrush with beige if i want to "tone it down" and be a little dusty.
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!)   Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 03, 2012 9:37 pm

I just finished painting the bulk of the building. cheers Once it dries, I will post pics. Then I will paint the details.

I have a new admiration for you terrain makers (specifically Komfritten, Laney, DeafNala and Narcissus)... painting this rust thing is HARD!!! Shocked I had to repaint the building TWICE... heehehe... at the last moment I 'discovered' how to apply this rust weathering best (at least, for me!)

Put a loaded drop (lots of paint, small area) where you want the rust/weathering to be... then BLOW hard on the direction you want it to run (usually down). The result are small streaks running down. They look nice!

Well, I will post the pics tomorrow. Stay tuned!
Back to top Go down
Komfritten

Komfritten

PostSubject: Re: Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!)   Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 04, 2012 3:27 am

Tomorrow!? TOMORROW?!

What about today!? What about now? What about us?! (dum dum cha, di dum dum cha all'I wanna say is that you don't relly care aboot us?!) Twisted Evil

Them pics are to be here by yesterday! (please)
Back to top Go down
Gatlag Stonetooth

Gatlag Stonetooth

PostSubject: Re: Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!)   Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 04, 2012 9:54 am

Yeah! What's up with that!?!
An update without pics is no update at all! Just Kidding
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!)   Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 04, 2012 11:48 am

HAHA! POOF... Your wish is my command!

UPDATE TIME... WITH PICS!!!

OK... I need all the constructive criticism you can give me. No need to be gentle (but I do appreciate it!) The building is missing details and the floor is NOT finished. Whatever you think is too much or too little... PLEASE let me know. Hope you like what I have so far.

A complete 360o of the building ready to play.
Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!) - Page 2 B01-PaintWiP05
Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!) - Page 2 B01-PaintWiP06
Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!) - Page 2 B01-PaintWiP07

Another 360o of the building, this time collapsed for transport.
Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!) - Page 2 B01-PaintWiP08
Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!) - Page 2 B01-PaintWiP09
Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!) - Page 2 B01-PaintWiP10
Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!) - Page 2 B01-PaintWiP11

Top-view of the collapsed building (not much to look at!)
Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!) - Page 2 B01-PaintWiP12

Bottom-view of the collapsed building (even less to look at... Just Kidding )
Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!) - Page 2 B01-PaintWiP13

Few details on paint (yes... trying to show off!)
Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!) - Page 2 B01-PaintWiP16Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!) - Page 2 B01-PaintWiP17
Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!) - Page 2 B01-PaintWiP18

After I finish the details, I need to make the 'base'... which should fit the 'easy transport' inspiration. Comments are VERY welcomed!
Back to top Go down
Arachas

Arachas

PostSubject: Re: Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!)   Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 04, 2012 5:45 pm

OK, let me get one thing straight here: my wife LOVES this concept. We just moved three weeks ago and moving all my terrain was a biatch. This solves EVERYTHING (not to mention storage space!).

That said, I won't ever do it. Good Lord, no. Far, FAR too much work. Holy crap. Wink

Thanks for your elaborate tutorials, Mord. Awesome stuff! Now take my advice and go buy some GW terrain from eBay. Paint that up and fill your table. Wink
Back to top Go down
DeafNala

DeafNala

PostSubject: Re: Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!)   Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 04, 2012 5:58 pm

That's pretty cool, Mord...it's actually smaller than I thought. The colors are good...maybe a lighter dry brush on the red brown areas for greater depth. The texture is good; & I like the grid thing on the floors. All in all VERY NICELY DONE!

One thing to think about adding would be some posters & graffiti...UNPLUG THE EMPEROR! What a Face
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!)   Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 04, 2012 7:00 pm

@ Arachas: Yes... hard to make indeed! Makes me wonder if I could mass produce (in plastic) stuff like that for sell... scratch

@ DeafNala: Do you like the bone white areas over the maroon (brick-red)? How should I dry-brush the red areas? On details... yes! I want to make a couple of posters for the inside! Wink
Back to top Go down
DeafNala

DeafNala

PostSubject: Re: Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!)   Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 04, 2012 7:50 pm

I do like the white area...an off white with some depth might look slightly better. Here's what I mean:

Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!) - Page 2 DSCN0478

Looking at the areas, there doesn't appear to be much texture; SO for the off white, I painted the area honey brown; while it's still wet start in the center & blend outward with sand (these are Americana colors) keep doing this until the central area is pretty close to the pure sand color & the edges are honey brown.
The dark red is deep burgundy with the center canyon orange blended into the burgundy in the same manner I used for the off white. Again these are Americana colors.

I painted the examples on sanded fan foam insulation board; that's why there's texture to the piece. clown
Back to top Go down
DeafNala

DeafNala

PostSubject: Re: Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!)   Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 7:42 am

One of the Guys at Tom's posted a link to his War Machine Thread with his folding gaming board:

http://www.papanurgle.net/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3228

I thought this my be a bit of inspiration for you, Mord.

The actual board starts on page 3 with the completed piece on page 6....strolling through the whole thread is recommended...there are some REALLY COOL thingies lurking there, especially for War Machine Fans.
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!)   Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 06, 2012 9:25 am

WOW! Thanks. I got to say... that is THE most insane table I have seen. Forget that is portable (which is amazing on its own right!)... but the details!!! WOW! I will open a thread of that. Thanks for sharing this gem!
Back to top Go down
Narcissus

Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!)   Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 07, 2012 2:18 am

I think it looks good. The portability is incredible. The texture of the grey walls looks great.

I agree that adding some posters would add some more interest with very little work. Stippling on some black around the broken sections of the walls would maybe give a cool illusion of a bit of destruction due to fire.
Back to top Go down
http://rustandthecity.blogspot.com/
TheBlackKnight

TheBlackKnight

PostSubject: Re: Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!)   Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 07, 2012 4:46 am

Your terrain looks awesome Mord, The portability is something I'm very envious of!

If i'm honest, the red colour is a bit odd, But then again I'm just used to the black undercoat, grey deybrush terrain in the GW! So maybe an additional colour will brighten up your board!

The Warmachine board is also epic! It's not hard done however. The hirst arts moulds make everything look awesome. All you need is the shape you want for your board, then cover i in the 1" x 1" floor tiles. That board will weigh an absolute ton though. Its a portable size, but it'll weigh over 20kg probably! And thats just the board with no terrain! He must be quite heavy handed with his moulds too, because I've used mine loads and they arent warping. See my thread on plaster cast terrain for my feeble efforts!
Back to top Go down
ClausLars

PostSubject: Re: Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!)   Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 07, 2012 7:13 am

Loving the buildings Mord, every terrain thread I see makes me thing I should try this...then I realize I will not have the time to devote to it for quite some time. Still great work so far.

As for the portable board he mentions that he used resin, which would cut down on the weight, and is also why his molds are stretching. Someone pointed out (too late) that you should make a dummy mold off a plaster cast to use with resin as the heat of the reaction stretches the mold.

I think the larger stone sections are MDF or something like that, while you might not get the same detail as the 1x1 hirst molds, you could probably manage a great deal just using the 1/4 inch MDF for a lot of the piece.
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!)   Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 07, 2012 7:46 pm

@ Narcissus: Thanks for the kind comments. Glad you like the portability. I will print and glue some posters and then drybrush some brown and black on the 'broken' areas to simulate fire residue as you suggested. THANKS!

@ TheBlackKnight: Thanks for the feedback... comments like yours (honest) are what I also need. I do like that brick red... but something looks WEIRD. Maybe it is that red... as I'm used to the drybrushed grey cement too! Just Kidding I want to try the 'visual texturing' that DeafNala suggested. Maybe that fixes it. In all honesty, I am HORRIBLE when it comes to painting buildings. I have no idea what to do... so it shows in poor planning. Laney told me once that it requires practice (LOTS OF IT!) to get any better... so I will try. No promises of anything being better... but I try!

@ ClausLars: Very pleased to please you, Sir! Salute I have put around 18 hours to the building, spread out several weeks because I can't work on it as much as I want, and I don't have an idea about what I'm doing! Just Kidding So don't despair... you could do it too!

I made a topic regarding the portable table. Find it at this thread.
Back to top Go down
dumdeedum

dumdeedum

PostSubject: Re: Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!)   Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 07, 2012 9:14 pm

Looks awesome Mord, an incredible piece of terrain you've made there, I'm very jealous of your foldable terrain.

From the few comments about it looking weird, I think the weird comes not from the red (well not completely anyway). I think it is the white surrounding the windows on the outside of the building is too clean, by which I mean too white. The flecks of colour are a nice touch, but with the amount of wear on the rest of the building I would also expect the pristine white (or seemingly pristine from the photo) to have faded a bit. The same goes with the red to a certain degree I think. Maybe ink them a little?

Maybe its just rubbish what I've said and it is just the deviation from scifi's love of grey and brown that I find weird.

And congratulations! An amazing, finished model/piece of terrain Smile
Back to top Go down
Narcissus

Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!)   Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 08, 2012 3:18 pm

I think dumdeedum has a good point. Maybe adding a bit of wash around the windows and places where liquid would run and pool on the white areas. They you could stipple or sponge on a bit of damage in a dark brown colour where the paint has been damaged. Are you still planning to add a base?

Show us some pictures with models too! I want to see models peeking through all of your great windows!
Back to top Go down
http://rustandthecity.blogspot.com/
Gatlag Stonetooth

Gatlag Stonetooth

PostSubject: Re: Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!)   Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 09, 2012 9:01 am

I like it! Smile
The only thing I'm not very fond of is the verdigris (hawk turquois) color. The walls look like conrete to me so that color on it seems out of place to me.

And indeed that board from Deaf's link is just plain sick! Shocked
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!)   Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!) - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mordheimer's Collapsible Terrain Log (SUPER PIC HEAVY!)
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Death Squads Game Forums :: Death Squads - Community :: Scenery & Terrain-
Jump to: