Death Squads Game Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Plaster cast terrain

Go down 
+5
Arachas
Laney
Mordheimer
Narcissus
TheBlackKnight
9 posters
AuthorMessage
TheBlackKnight

TheBlackKnight

Plaster cast terrain Empty
PostSubject: Plaster cast terrain   Plaster cast terrain I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2012 3:46 am

At my previous gaming club, there was a guy who used silicon moulds to make terrain out of plaster. When I saw what he could make, I was instantly sold!

This company - Hirst Arts - sell the silicon moulds for about £25 ($34), so I bought 3 different ones for making castle ruins (floors, walls and features)

The way you make the terrain is by casting individual blocks, then glue them together in any way you like. I was ambitious for my first project, and made a massive cathedral. It was so heavy and difficult to transport, but it was awesome.

Now, I'm making smaller, lighter and easily transported pieces. I'll put pics up once I have some to show you.
Back to top Go down
Narcissus

Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: Plaster cast terrain   Plaster cast terrain I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2012 4:22 am

Sounds good! I have looked at the Hirst Arts molds too. They look stunning but I have always been put off by the weight and the time required for casting. I am looking forward to seeing some of your finished pieces.
Back to top Go down
http://rustandthecity.blogspot.com/
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Plaster cast terrain   Plaster cast terrain I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2012 8:22 am

Cool!

Plaster is kindda heavy... any other material that you could use instead?
Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Plaster cast terrain   Plaster cast terrain I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2012 2:33 pm

You could use resin - but that isn't cost effective for larger pieces.

Laney:D
Back to top Go down
Arachas

Arachas

PostSubject: Re: Plaster cast terrain   Plaster cast terrain I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 05, 2012 4:03 pm

PICS!!!
Back to top Go down
TheBlackKnight

TheBlackKnight

PostSubject: Re: Plaster cast terrain   Plaster cast terrain I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 07, 2012 4:53 am

As promised, here are some pics of my plaster cast ruins (unpainted)

I am planning on making 16 1'x1' tiles that have ruins, roads, and forest sections that can all be aranged in different combinations to give a new board settup every time. Might take a while though! I'll keep you posted!

Plaster cast terrain DSCN3173

Plaster cast terrain DSCN3174

Plaster cast terrain DSCN3175

Plaster cast terrain DSCN3176

Plaster cast terrain DSCN3177

Plaster cast terrain DSCN3178

Plaster cast terrain DSCN3179

Plaster cast terrain DSCN3180

Plaster cast terrain DSCN3181
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Plaster cast terrain   Plaster cast terrain I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 07, 2012 7:00 pm

SWEET!!!

I think is a great idea to put them in 1' x 1' tiles... makes for easy board making. Thanks for sharing. Now.. a question... are they painted or the individual blocks are just glued in?? They look GREAT!
Back to top Go down
dumdeedum

dumdeedum

PostSubject: Re: Plaster cast terrain   Plaster cast terrain I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 07, 2012 9:03 pm

Those do look pretty damn amazing, the weight does seem like a little bit of a downer, but the looks vs. modelling skill looks right up my alley (unless its more difficult than it looks anyway). Looking forward to seeing more and them painted up
Back to top Go down
TheBlackKnight

TheBlackKnight

PostSubject: Re: Plaster cast terrain   Plaster cast terrain I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 08, 2012 4:21 am

Quote :
are they painted or the individual blocks are just glued in?

When the blocks come out the mould, they are just individual blocks. You then glue them together with PVA glue in any formation you like. The terrain in the pictures are unpainted, thats the colour of the plaster. Its amazing how solid they are when glued and painted, but they will break if you drop them on the floor, so you have to be more careful with them than plastic!

Also, if i make 1'x1' tiles, I can buy a big storage box and slot the tiles in vertically for transport / storage.

Quote :
the weight does seem like a little bit of a downer

Yes, the weight can be a bit of a pain. The first project I made was absolutely massive. It was a cathedral about 2'x2' and 1' tall! It looked amazing, but was a ton weight, and broke really easily because t was so cumbersome. This time, i'm making everything smaller to avoid weight related problems.

Quote :
unless its more difficult than it looks

It is not difficult at all! The hardest bit is getting the right mix of plaster and water, and there are loads of tutorials both on the Hirst Arts website, and youtube (miniwargaming.com have great tutorials). Once you have that nailed, its just a case of building it together like lego!
Back to top Go down
ClausLars

PostSubject: Re: Plaster cast terrain   Plaster cast terrain I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 08, 2012 4:45 am

I've flirted with the idea of plaster casting a number of times but just can't get myself to commit. I took a look at the site, I'm curious which sets are you using. Initially I thought it was the Fieldstone Ruins set, but these look more like the castle stuff, or maybe gothic. Did you just leave the pieces partially unfinished so they look like ruins?

Gotta say, the idea that I could convince the wife that this is an "aht poject" (art project) for our daughter makes me think I could pull some of this off...what's the worst that could happen letting a 2 year old play with plaster?
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Plaster cast terrain   Plaster cast terrain I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 08, 2012 1:11 pm

What if you make the blocks hollow? If you could smaller blocks, cover them in Vaseline (petroleum jelly) to avoid them being stuck in the plaster... you could pour some plaster to make the 'front', put the hollow block, then pour in some more plaster to make the sides. Once it is dry, remove it from mold and remove the smaller block... the end result would be a 'box'. You could then pour some plaster on the mold and drop the casted box (open side down) to make a 'solid' block.

Seems like alot of work, but you could reduce the weight by 50%. Just an Idea !
Back to top Go down
Zanazaz

Zanazaz

PostSubject: Re: Plaster cast terrain   Plaster cast terrain I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 08, 2012 2:46 pm

Hello, I'm new to this forum, and I wanted to say that yes you can use resin for the Hirst Arts molds, but they will not last nearly as long. For those interested, I interviewed Bruce Hirst for my blog a couple of years ago. You can read it here: Have Dice, Will Travel.... It's chocked full of interesting info.

Also, if you are interested in using resin, there are kits for making your own resin molds. Just sculpt the wall/floor/accessory pieces out of clay/whatever, make the mold, and cast. Quite a bit of work, but you will end up with what you want! AND in the long run, if you're making a lot of terrain, it's probably going to be very cost effective.

Of course, you can always create molds of your own creations and cast them in plaster as well. One quick note, it's best not to use regular plaster of paris. Use a dental plaster which has a higher tensile strength, and not prone to breaking.

Once I start creating and casting my own stuff, I will write a tutorial.
Back to top Go down
http://havedicewilltravel.blogspot.com/
TheBlackKnight

TheBlackKnight

PostSubject: Re: Plaster cast terrain   Plaster cast terrain I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 08, 2012 5:19 pm

Quote :
I'm curious which sets are you using

I use the castle moulds set. All you really need is the basic blocks, floor and features moulds and you can make a whole load of stuff. Thats $75 for the moulds, but plaster is cheap, and the moulds will last for a really long time if you treat them well.

Quote :
what's the worst that could happen letting a 2 year old play with plaster?

Don't let her eat it! I don't think she'd enjoy pooing out a plaster cast of her stomach!

Mord, nice thinking outside the box (ho ho ho) but for the amount of blocks you need for a ruin, you would go insane! Also, the blocks would be really weak and probably just break apart.
Back to top Go down
TheBlackKnight

TheBlackKnight

PostSubject: Re: Plaster cast terrain   Plaster cast terrain I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 17, 2012 4:52 pm

I've taken some inspiration from Komffriten's town of Novac and made my whole board-to-be in Google Sketchup.

Plaster cast terrain Blocktownbig

The plaster blocks that my terrain is made from lends itself really well to the 3D model because I can make an exact plaster model of whatever I draw on the computer! So I can make the computer terrain, and add up how many of each block I need to cast to make it real.

What do you guys think of the content and densty of terrain? It is 7" across the street from building to building, so you can keep running for cover without it being too easy. There are pleanty of LOS blocking walls, but also loads of window gaps, and 3 floor levels on most buildings.

I have kept the board as 1'x1' tiles, which makes it less flexible than the town of Novac, but the tiles here can be switched around pretty easily.

I plan on making some scatter terrain, like burnt out cars and street furniture that can be placed anywhere.

Comments welcome!
Back to top Go down
Dysturbed

Dysturbed

PostSubject: Re: Plaster cast terrain   Plaster cast terrain I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 1:39 am

http://stores.castlekits.com/StoreFront.bok

If you don't have time to actually buy and mold them and are willing to pay.
This place sells individual blocks and full kits of already cast blocks using the Hirst molds.
Back to top Go down
TheBlackKnight

TheBlackKnight

PostSubject: Re: Plaster cast terrain   Plaster cast terrain I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 3:15 am

Would be nice, if I was rich, haha!

However, it is a bit expensive when you realise how many sets you have to buy, then add the postage to Scotland (plaster is heavy). Plus I don't think they would make it here in one piece!

Thanks for sharing though, might be useful for someone else.
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Plaster cast terrain   Plaster cast terrain I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 9:31 pm

TheBlackKnight wrote:
I've taken some inspiration from Komffriten's town of Novac and made my whole board-to-be in Google Sketchup.

Plaster cast terrain Blocktownbig

AWESOME! I need to try this Google Sketchup thing... awesome!!!!
Back to top Go down
Dysturbed

Dysturbed

PostSubject: Re: Plaster cast terrain   Plaster cast terrain I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 18, 2012 9:50 pm

Easy program to use and free. Only takes a afternoon to really get used to it.

If you have any 3d modeling experience it's CAKE.
(coming from someone who is woking on a Autodesk Maya 2012 project right now lol)
Back to top Go down
ClausLars

PostSubject: Re: Plaster cast terrain   Plaster cast terrain I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 20, 2012 8:24 pm

Layout looks nice TheBlackKnight. My one thought would be that all of the elevated positions are pretty focused on one side. I understand the realism of buildings on one side of the street with a park on the other, but not sure how well that would work in a game.
Back to top Go down
TheBlackKnight

TheBlackKnight

PostSubject: Re: Plaster cast terrain   Plaster cast terrain I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 21, 2012 3:23 am

Thanks ClausLars, I'll try rearranging the tiles to give a better spread of buildings. maybe have the park in the middle.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Plaster cast terrain   Plaster cast terrain I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Plaster cast terrain
Page 1 of 1