Death Squads Game Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

10th/95TH South Varangian: Captain Alex 'Ice Cold' Reismann & Officers

Go down 
+7
mudboy
dwi
Fafnir
dr!zzt
Mordheimer
DoZer
Laney
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Laney

Laney

10th/95TH South Varangian: Captain Alex 'Ice Cold' Reismann & Officers Empty
PostSubject: 10th/95TH South Varangian: Captain Alex 'Ice Cold' Reismann & Officers   10th/95TH South Varangian: Captain Alex 'Ice Cold' Reismann & Officers I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 6:46 am

Hi All,

Here are a couple of images of my WIP squad from the 10th/95th South Varangian Rifles (Using the urban fighters ruleset). They are...

Captain Alex 'Ice Cold' Reismann
Lieutenant Henry 'Eagle' Sharpe
Lieutenant Vasily 'Eightball' Zaitsev
Sergeant Arthur 'Oddball' Kilgore
Sergeant Josef 'Joker' Kelly
Private First Class (Ogryn) Aldo 'Dutch' Kurtz
Private (Medic) Stanley 'Doc V' Velinski
Private (Infantry) James 'Yossarian' Miller

There is also a sharpshooter in the background

10th/95TH South Varangian: Captain Alex 'Ice Cold' Reismann & Officers Img_5912
10th/95TH South Varangian: Captain Alex 'Ice Cold' Reismann & Officers Img_5910

They will be in an urban camo colour scheme

This is the draft fluff for them...
Capt Reismann, a veteran stormtrooper of the 95th Varangian Rifles (the Sweeps) is given the dubious honour of leading the remains of the disgraced South Varangian Regiment (the 'Tenth'). Due to a cowardly and unecessary retreat at the Battle of Antichan Bridge (Pericles Campaign M41/609ae10/95) under the command of Colonel Tiberius Simmersen. While miraculously (due to friends at Segmentum command and his own Nble birth) Simmersen escaped execution at the hands of the commisariat, the South Varangian were punished by Lord Comissar Wellesley with 'Self Decimation' and were forever to be known as the 'Tenth' in memory ofhteir past cowardice MAY THEY REDEEM THEMSELVES BEFORE THE GOLDEN THRONE. They are currently regarded as little more than a penal legion (similar to the infamous 'last chancers'). Recruits to their ranks are the lowest scum of the Varangian Forge Hives.
'Ice Cold' is developing from this group effective teams of urban fighters and though he is currently denied promotion to major due to his low birth, Lord Comissare Wellesly watches his progress with interest (The Cereides Penisular Crusade).

Hope you like, Cheers
Back to top Go down
DoZer

DoZer

PostSubject: Re: 10th/95TH South Varangian: Captain Alex 'Ice Cold' Reismann & Officers   10th/95TH South Varangian: Captain Alex 'Ice Cold' Reismann & Officers I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 10:35 am

Excellent fluff. I love it when people put a story behind there models..... It just brings the character of model out more.

I have always loved the Kasrkin models for the IG. What I have always hated about them though is that they are metal.....blah.....

Great idea using the Vostryon sniper as your sharpshooter. That is the exact model that I wanted to use for mine!! IDEA STEALER!!!.........

I also see that you used the Cadian Command Box to good use......What did you use to make the Guili suit for the plastic sniper? Looks like bits of yarn.....

Looking forward to future updates! Consider this thread followed!!
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: 10th/95TH South Varangian: Captain Alex 'Ice Cold' Reismann & Officers   10th/95TH South Varangian: Captain Alex 'Ice Cold' Reismann & Officers I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 2:57 pm

Hi DoZer,

Thanks for the feedback, the suit was made from thin strips of bandage/gauze which I wrapped around the model, gluing as I went with super glue (to make sure that I could paint it ok). I nicked the idea from a forum on dakka dakka (I think). I intend to make a squad full of them in the end, but I only had one piece of gauze!

I've also got an Adeptus Mechanicus explorator force in the middle of planning - based on the renegades squad in TLRB.

Cheers - back soon
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: 10th/95TH South Varangian: Captain Alex 'Ice Cold' Reismann & Officers   10th/95TH South Varangian: Captain Alex 'Ice Cold' Reismann & Officers I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 16, 2010 9:39 pm

A) SUPER good fluff! It brings your Squad alive and makes your project 100% more interesting. AWESOME!
B) Imaginative modeling! Not only your guys are already tattooed in my imagination, seeing your models just jump-starts everything! That mesh-netting thing is baffling! I can see the model in play, sniping heretics!
C) THANKS FOR THE PICS! Really fun to see your work.

Aquila Congratz, Soldier. You made The Emperor proud! Aquila

IMHO, this is what Death Squads is all about! You play campaign, and after it ends you could put Captain Reismann as the HQ of your 40k army, and you have a VERY Special Character indeed! When you play, let the game takes it course... accept all the random events. Everything will work itself out... it always does! The best part is that this same cool experience you are starting to have with your Squad, every single one of your gaming buddies can have with THEIR Squads!

Send in the dancing Astartes!
Blood Angel Blood Angel Blood Angel Blood Angel Blood Angel Blood Angel Blood Angel
10th/95TH South Varangian: Captain Alex 'Ice Cold' Reismann & Officers Drooling
Me, drooling over your Squad!
Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: First pics of my captain   10th/95TH South Varangian: Captain Alex 'Ice Cold' Reismann & Officers I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 7:42 pm

Here is my finished (barring a matt varnish) captain Alex 'Ice Cold' Reismann. Any feedback much appreciated.

More to follow soon.
10th/95TH South Varangian: Captain Alex 'Ice Cold' Reismann & Officers Img_5914
10th/95TH South Varangian: Captain Alex 'Ice Cold' Reismann & Officers Img_5915
Back to top Go down
dr!zzt

dr!zzt

PostSubject: Re: 10th/95TH South Varangian: Captain Alex 'Ice Cold' Reismann & Officers   10th/95TH South Varangian: Captain Alex 'Ice Cold' Reismann & Officers I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 8:39 pm

WOW. I'm very impressed. It'll be pleasure to eat such person Very Happy
And i have one qestion- the techniqe you used to make such base? i'm still beginner and i'm searching for any tips...
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: 10th/95TH South Varangian: Captain Alex 'Ice Cold' Reismann & Officers   10th/95TH South Varangian: Captain Alex 'Ice Cold' Reismann & Officers I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 9:43 pm

Man! I'm trying (HARD!) to be an BEEEEP!! and say something bad... can't find anything! cheers The model is very good man! Your urban cammo is subtle AND effective. You have a delicate touch with the brush... very cool! Even when pictures at this scale bring 'errors', your model is very clean! Excellent lines! Congratz man... you have some art in you!

The only minor critique (after a 4th look) are the eyes... well, the lack of them. I know, it is a style to paint no eyes and all, but painting eyes could bring the model to another higher level.

Unlike dr!zzt, it would be an honor to get my butt kicked by the Captain! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Fafnir

PostSubject: Re: 10th/95TH South Varangian: Captain Alex 'Ice Cold' Reismann & Officers   10th/95TH South Varangian: Captain Alex 'Ice Cold' Reismann & Officers I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 2:36 am

My only complaint is the highlighting of the skin. It needs to be more subtle.
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: 10th/95TH South Varangian: Captain Alex 'Ice Cold' Reismann & Officers   10th/95TH South Varangian: Captain Alex 'Ice Cold' Reismann & Officers I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 6:25 am

Hi All,

Thanks for the feedback...

Mordheimer: I might try some proper eyes though they normally end up pointing in different directions when I've done them before.

Fafnir: The skin looks a little more subtle in reality (the flash really brings out the final highlight), but does look a bit dodgy on the photo - I might try to draw the colours together with a devlan mud or gryphonne sepia wash - what do you think?.

My big concern was that the power sword looks a little 'flat' - any suggestions?

Drizzt: The base was simple - suoer glue a 'bit', usually chopped plastic or in this case an etched brass sign from the 40k basing kit, glue on some slate pieces or sand using PVA glue (most model shops has these pretty cheap). Paint wise - the stone was sprayed black, lightly overbrushed with fortress grey and they again with astronomicon grey (same colours as the captains camo), the edge was a couple of coats of space wolves grey.
The sign was painted with 'rust' from the Humbrol acrylics range (though mixing some Tinbitz and Vermin Brown should have a similar effect), wash with G-Sepia, Ogryn Flesh, rough the edges with Chainmail, wash again, edge again - less this time and then finally, stipple with a little Vermin Brown.

Hope this is useful
Thanks again for the feedback guys!

Cheers - the sniper is next (it will be a difficult one)
Back to top Go down
dr!zzt

dr!zzt

PostSubject: Re: 10th/95TH South Varangian: Captain Alex 'Ice Cold' Reismann & Officers   10th/95TH South Varangian: Captain Alex 'Ice Cold' Reismann & Officers I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 10:09 am

to the power sword- some sort of mix of sligthly brigther blue along the central edge (when looking from the side)- very thin highlight and some scrathes (almost white) from the cutting edge directed to central part... it'll add some dynamic. more washes i think could be too much... awgh my english sucks...
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: 10th/95TH South Varangian: Captain Alex 'Ice Cold' Reismann & Officers   10th/95TH South Varangian: Captain Alex 'Ice Cold' Reismann & Officers I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 10:41 am

I agree with dr!tzzt... I would make a thin line in (deluted) bad moon yellow, then a thin line in white... it would make the thin like to look SUPER bright.

I was talking to Dozer yesterday... and we were talking about your models!!! We decided we want to try to make a sniper like yours. I won't tell you what we plan just yet... so not to influence your model. I wish I had MORE time... HA! Just Kidding
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: 10th/95TH South Varangian: Captain Alex 'Ice Cold' Reismann & Officers   10th/95TH South Varangian: Captain Alex 'Ice Cold' Reismann & Officers I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2010 6:11 am

Hi Again,

The Sniper is virtually finished and I've taken the advice on the Captain, so here is a couple of pics to show you. I've also started an craftworld eldar squad - I've only built the exarch so far - but the rest of the squad is coming along too He is pretty much a straight out the box dire avenger with a dark elf corsair cloak and a little bit of grey stuff (some much easier to work than green stuff). And in view of the new blood angels codex (yeah!) a picture of some marines from my WIP army. Sorry its a bit pic heavy.

10th/95TH South Varangian: Captain Alex 'Ice Cold' Reismann & Officers Img_5916
10th/95TH South Varangian: Captain Alex 'Ice Cold' Reismann & Officers Img_5917
10th/95TH South Varangian: Captain Alex 'Ice Cold' Reismann & Officers Img_5918
10th/95TH South Varangian: Captain Alex 'Ice Cold' Reismann & Officers Img_5919

Enjoy
Laney
Back to top Go down
dwi

dwi

PostSubject: Laney Temp   10th/95TH South Varangian: Captain Alex 'Ice Cold' Reismann & Officers I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 22, 2010 2:44 pm

Wow lovein that ImpGuard well done

Aquila dwi Aquila
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: 10th/95TH South Varangian: Captain Alex 'Ice Cold' Reismann & Officers   10th/95TH South Varangian: Captain Alex 'Ice Cold' Reismann & Officers I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 10:55 am

After the damage to Captain Reismann in the first game - I felt the need to model a new version of him (the old one will become Lieutenant Sharpe - who fought off an Aspect Warrior and Warrior Aspirant - forcing their rout by putting the aspirant OOA - it also saves me a paintjob - which are stacking up!)

Anyway here is...

The all new Captain Alex 'Ice Cold' Reismann aka 'Captain Gimpy' pirat WIP
10th/95TH South Varangian: Captain Alex 'Ice Cold' Reismann & Officers Img_6116
10th/95TH South Varangian: Captain Alex 'Ice Cold' Reismann & Officers Img_6117

I've tidied up the procreate armour plates since these pictures

Cheers Laney Wink

Last edited by 02laney on Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: 10th/95TH South Varangian: Captain Alex 'Ice Cold' Reismann & Officers   10th/95TH South Varangian: Captain Alex 'Ice Cold' Reismann & Officers I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 11:04 am

WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW!!!!!

Now you understand why I keep saying don't convert your models until a few games in? The other model is great... but THIS ONE... OHHHHHH!!! By the Emperor's Jerky... this is SUPERB!!!!
Back to top Go down
mudboy

mudboy

PostSubject: Re: 10th/95TH South Varangian: Captain Alex 'Ice Cold' Reismann & Officers   10th/95TH South Varangian: Captain Alex 'Ice Cold' Reismann & Officers I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 1:52 pm

I think i'm in love... with a plasticman Suspect
Back to top Go down
cody20

cody20

PostSubject: Re: 10th/95TH South Varangian: Captain Alex 'Ice Cold' Reismann & Officers   10th/95TH South Varangian: Captain Alex 'Ice Cold' Reismann & Officers I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 2:10 pm

laney all i can say is you make great models there amazing
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: 10th/95TH South Varangian: Captain Alex 'Ice Cold' Reismann & Officers   10th/95TH South Varangian: Captain Alex 'Ice Cold' Reismann & Officers I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 3:10 am

The Varangians haven't had much love on the modelling front for a while - so here are a couple of interim pics. This is my urban sharpshooter. He is an old model that I have tidied up and given a matt finish (he used to be all shiny. The other model will have to wait in my bits box a little longer. I've also included pics of a thunderbolt I scratch built from plasticard from a design I found from a bloke on the internet (He is Captain Israel 'The Baron' Coronach). The model is slightly smaller (an inch or two) than the real thing but only cost about £5 to build (And I had enough stuff left to build two more which I gave to a friend as a birthday present).

(Sorry it won't let me post pics at the minute - I'll send this now and add the pics after work today) Mad

Feedback always welcome (when the pics are up!)

Enjoy
Laney

More Varangians are on the way - but they aren't quite done yet. Sneak Peek...
10th/95TH South Varangian: Captain Alex 'Ice Cold' Reismann & Officers Img_6139
10th/95TH South Varangian: Captain Alex 'Ice Cold' Reismann & Officers Img_6140
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: 10th/95TH South Varangian: Captain Alex 'Ice Cold' Reismann & Officers   10th/95TH South Varangian: Captain Alex 'Ice Cold' Reismann & Officers I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 16, 2010 10:55 am

We wait with anticipation!!!
Back to top Go down
DeafNala

DeafNala

PostSubject: Re: 10th/95TH South Varangian: Captain Alex 'Ice Cold' Reismann & Officers   10th/95TH South Varangian: Captain Alex 'Ice Cold' Reismann & Officers I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 27, 2010 3:41 pm

If he was in the U.S. military, they'd deploy him in a desert or urban area. Suspect VERY COOL MINI! What a Face
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: 10th/95TH South Varangian: Captain Alex 'Ice Cold' Reismann & Officers   10th/95TH South Varangian: Captain Alex 'Ice Cold' Reismann & Officers I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 8:05 pm

Administrative Split

Some of the responses may not make sense, because the pictures or comments that they refer to
may belong to another thread. Sorry for the inconvenience.

FELL FREE TO COMMENT!
Back to top Go down
edward

edward

PostSubject: Re: 10th/95TH South Varangian: Captain Alex 'Ice Cold' Reismann & Officers   10th/95TH South Varangian: Captain Alex 'Ice Cold' Reismann & Officers I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 10, 2010 11:08 pm

woah laney how'd you find the time to paint and convert al your models!!
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: 10th/95TH South Varangian: Captain Alex 'Ice Cold' Reismann & Officers   10th/95TH South Varangian: Captain Alex 'Ice Cold' Reismann & Officers I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 11, 2010 2:45 am

I usually convert/paint about one or two a week and over time the squad gets built (not sure where the time actually comes from Smile )

Ta Laney cheers
Back to top Go down
edward

edward

PostSubject: Re: 10th/95TH South Varangian: Captain Alex 'Ice Cold' Reismann & Officers   10th/95TH South Varangian: Captain Alex 'Ice Cold' Reismann & Officers I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 11, 2010 3:06 pm

cool...but how'd you keep coming up with all these ideas??
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: 10th/95TH South Varangian: Captain Alex 'Ice Cold' Reismann & Officers   10th/95TH South Varangian: Captain Alex 'Ice Cold' Reismann & Officers I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 11, 2010 5:58 pm

Mostly from watching lots of war movies - everything from Dr Strangelove to Full Metal Jacket to Kelly's Heroes, not to mention Zulu (Zulu's thousands of them!) and war documentaries - love it. Plus, I nick lots of ideas from other painters who are better than me - just go on coolminiornot for inspiration!

Cheers Laney cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 10th/95TH South Varangian: Captain Alex 'Ice Cold' Reismann & Officers   10th/95TH South Varangian: Captain Alex 'Ice Cold' Reismann & Officers I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

10th/95TH South Varangian: Captain Alex 'Ice Cold' Reismann & Officers
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next