The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Mordheimer's Prisoner Log - Updated 04/30/2012 DONE!!!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Mordheimer's Prisoner Log - Updated 04/30/2012 DONE!!!   Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:19 pm

Today is my day off from work... nice and quiet. The plan was to prime and paint today. I got out to take the kids to school... FOG!!! Little Frustrated

The damned mist lifted but it was 500 F, cloudy and humid. I got mad, but decided to work on the bases. I took the Cherubim out of his base and filed off the guide that goes in the base slot. With it gone, I could take a new base, file it to size and match the grooves on the floor. Now it is flush with the rest. cheers An hour ago I went out... WTF?!?! A MIRACLE!!! It got sunny, super bright, the clouds went away and it got up to 780F!

Needless to say, I primed all the stuff. I used automotive grey primer... all seems to look fine. I will start painting the Commander and working on the virus bomb. Then to the Chrubim (not today...) and last, the ruins. I'm terrified to paint those... never been good at painting structures. I wish Narcissus or Komfritten were here to help. Sad

Well... hopefully I will have few pics tonight! Wish me luck!

Support Bacteria; it is the ONLY culture some people have!
Since I ask "What do you think?" to all Staff, I have included it here to save time.

DoZer Flamethrower Mordheimer Justice NEEDS to be Served! Maybe 3rd Degree burns will teach you not to Tom Sawyer me to work!

Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
Matt12z

PostSubject: Re: Mordheimer's Prisoner Log - Updated 04/30/2012 DONE!!!   Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:52 am

Mord, congratulations. Your model has creeped me out. Cant wait to see it painted!
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Mordheimer's Prisoner Log - Updated 04/30/2012 DONE!!!   Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:05 pm

OK... I started painting! Right now I did some basic painting on the building and shaded it with some dip! Looks good... but not great. It is shinny and I need some dry-brushing. I will paint tonight, then post some pics.

On a different note, time for the family. Will go to the park and maybe to the movies. We go to the $2 cinema... it ROCKS! (LINK) We are a large group (wife, 3 kids and me) and the movie tickets are at least $10 each ($50+) and to feed everyone cheaply is around $35. Also, junk food on the movies... another $20. Expensive as hell... until now! On this place, you pay $2 per person ($10) and sit around dinning tables. You can order food... we get the Addams Family Special, for $28 we get 1.5 lbs of chicken strips (really good), 2.5 lbs of fries, giant bucket of popcorn and 2 pitchers of soda... enough to feed everyone and take some home! We easily save $70! The movies are not super new... but if we haven't seen them, they are new to us! Just Kidding

Anyhow... the building will be ready for the detailing by the time I get back (it will be 48 hours). I'm EXCITED!!!! bounce

Since I ask "What do you think?" to all Staff, I have included it here to save time.

DoZer Flamethrower Mordheimer Justice NEEDS to be Served! Maybe 3rd Degree burns will teach you not to Tom Sawyer me to work!

Back to top Go down
Gatlag Stonetooth

PostSubject: Re: Mordheimer's Prisoner Log - Updated 04/30/2012 DONE!!!   Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:30 pm

Sounds like a cool and affordable way to go out with the whole bunch! Hope you had a great time! Smile
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Mordheimer's Prisoner Log - Updated 04/30/2012 DONE!!!   Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:43 pm

Well, as promised... The Building! What? You thought it was an April's Fool joke? GOTCHA!!! It was real!!! Wink

The first set of pics are after The Building got the base paint and the stain... glossy as hell.
Hmmm... wonder if hell is glossy? scratch Anyway, here it is.

This set of pictures is of The Building after some minor drybrushing and sealed with the Flat Finish (to remove the ultra glow.) Notice the blood trickle/spill... right now it looks cheesy, but once the Renegade Captain is in position it will make sense. Looks like he leaned hard against the wall and then slid down to his final resting place. FYI, the building will be on a base...so I still have to do the 'floor', debris around the building and some scorched grass. I also plan to put some propaganda posters (never done that before... always wanted to!) Also, the green glow is the beginning of the glow effect for the virus bomb (that I still need to build! Shocked ) For now, The Building is finished... I think.

Questions? Comments? Critiques? Suggestions? Please... help me! THANKS! Hope you enjoyed the update!

Back to top Go down
Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: Mordheimer's Prisoner Log - Updated 04/30/2012 DONE!!!   Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:11 pm

It looks really good. The dip created some nice shadowing. The matte varnish really improves the finish.

One possible critique is that the blood might be a bit bright. You could try mixing some dark brown with red to get a blood colour. Tamiya clear red makes a great blood too if you have access to it.
Back to top Go down
http://rustandthecity.blogspot.com/
Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Mordheimer's Prisoner Log - Updated 04/30/2012 DONE!!!   Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:17 pm

Yes... most of the blood will be UNDER the Captain, but you are right. I will repaint the section with some washes and other tones. Right now is a marker.

THANKS FOR THE GUIDE! I will make sure you approve when I'm done!

Back to top Go down
DeafNala

PostSubject: Re: Mordheimer's Prisoner Log - Updated 04/30/2012 DONE!!!   Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:29 pm

VERY NICELY DONE! I love the sandstone effect. The sickly greenish glow toward the bottom will look GREAT with the Bio Bomb. That is a FINE LOOKING piece...feel free to take a bow (watch out for the keyboard though Suspect ). What a Face
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Mordheimer's Prisoner Log - Updated 04/30/2012 DONE!!!   Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:57 pm

Hehe! Thanks Deaf! I'm really excited about the piece so far. I have NEVER been able to do a building I like... until now! For me is hard to visualize how The Building should had looked on its prime (when it was new) and then how it should look after the battle damage. The stain (dip) masks my inability to 'weather' The Building... thus achieves the effect I have in my mind.

While the structure is not perfect, but it is my best building EVER. I also learned where I could improve for the next buildings. So, I feel I accomplished 2 of my personal goals... remove the terror I had about sculpting and create a building that is better than just 'plain decent'. I do have to deal with final details (like the blood and the glow)... but it is just about fine-tuning.

Now, I have to put The Building on a base... another challenge! I'm not too worry about it... I have plenty of examples in Novac! So I will aim for the stars again... and even if I don't reach them, I feel confident I will leave the planet's atmosphere. This is way farther than I have ever gone... so I'm pleased.

I also have to build The Virus Bomb... not too worries about it... except the OSL effect. I don't know how to pull it well, so I will look for inspiration. Then the Renegade Captain... not too worried about him. Since he is 'furniture' on The Building, my usual paint style would work.

Now, for the star attraction... the Corrupt Cherubim.... WOW! I'm scared about him! Upon new examination I noticed that he has boy-spheres hanging between his legs. Shocked This will be har... errr... difficult.

Back to top Go down
Gatlag Stonetooth

PostSubject: Re: Mordheimer's Prisoner Log - Updated 04/30/2012 DONE!!!   Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:15 am

Looking very nice sir! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Mordheimer's Prisoner Log - Updated 04/30/2012 DONE!!!   Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:35 pm

Wohooo!!! Paint day!!!!

I have made some progress. While some paint is drying, I decided to make a small update. I decided to make the diorama also 'functional'... I mean playable. The concept is that the Recipient could actually use the diorama as functional terrain! So I based the ruined building and made a small barricade in the back. The Renegade Commander will NOT be glued, but we would remain in place (up his ass non the less!)... so when you play, would remove him if you want. Of course, the Prisoner is playable. Once the basing is done, then I can paint the barricade, the dirt and the inside floor of the building. I will put some motivational posters on the 'outside' of the building. Once all is done... I will take out my air-brush and do the 'glow' effect. Damn... I have to BUILD the virus bomb!

I started painting the IR Commander. While thinking of color scheme, I decided to honor the first Imperial Renegades ever played... Dozer's Imperial Renegades, Class of 666! Check out some pics on this thread. The scheme is simple, yet stands out... but not too much! I mixed my own blue for the cloth and based coated the model. I will use scab red (or whatever is called now) for the armor. For the flesh, I will try pale tones as the man is supposed to be bleeding to death. So I will paint the flesh light eld-flesh (with some white.) The IR Commander WILL be dipped (well... brushed) so it follows the pattern of the terrain, carefull not to put lots on the flesh. After he has dried (couple of days) I will glaze him with light flesh tones and paint the blood on his armor (crisp red... blending to dark). Last will be his eyes... I NEED to paint them so he is looking up at the Cherubim. That will be tricky.

The Corrupt Cherubim has started to get some love too! He would be painted with multiple layers... I want the veins to show up. So the baby has been based coated rotten flesh and the implants black. Next I will drybrush the metal parts and fix any mistakes. Then I will paint veins purple, green and orange. The next step is to layer him with watered down flesh tones, so some of the veins sneak through. Last would be to paint the pustules. Yuck! Hehehe. I also just noticed that you can see the baby's.... errr... boy hose & marbles. Disturbing indeed!

Well... that is my update so far. Hopefully at the end of the day I will have more to show (hopefully pics!)

Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Mordheimer's Prisoner Log - Updated 04/30/2012 DONE!!!   Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:42 pm

Sorry for the double post... paint day over. Sad But I was VERY productive! cheers Here are the pictures of the progress so far.

First, the Corrupt Cherubim. Notice the base is VERY thin... and follows the pattern of the floor on the ruined building.
I think mudboy will be proud. Wink The Prisoner still in VERY early stages... hopefully the vein things come through.

Here is the diorama. Notice the ruins have a base and some things around. I wish I had though about this earlier.
The floor will get a metallic drybrush and then a dip. The Commander has base colors... more details to follow.

Hope you enjoyed the show! Very Happy

Last edited by Mordheimer on Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:56 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
DeafNala

PostSubject: Re: Mordheimer's Prisoner Log - Updated 04/30/2012 DONE!!!   Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:10 am

GREAT WORK...that's quite a dramatic scene you've created. I LOVE the colors you chose for the building. Keep on keeping on! What a Face
Back to top Go down
mudboy

PostSubject: Re: Mordheimer's Prisoner Log - Updated 04/30/2012 DONE!!!   Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:59 am

I'm very proud of you my son Laughing

Look's good so far. Don't screw it up!
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Mordheimer's Prisoner Log - Updated 04/30/2012 DONE!!!   Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:20 am

Thanks gentlemen for the encouragement. Will work on the models some more tomorrow.

mudboy wrote:
Don't screw it up!
Ohhh man! Now you know I will!!! Shocked

Back to top Go down
Lazi

PostSubject: Re: Mordheimer's Prisoner Log - Updated 04/30/2012 DONE!!!   Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:59 pm

That building is awesome! Really cool piece of terrain!
And the start on the renegade and the prisoner baby is really promising. The first thought that came to my mind when I saw the baby was: That's sick! which is the proper reaction on the messenger of Papa Nurgle Smile

Keep it up Wink
Back to top Go down
sultansean

PostSubject: Re: Mordheimer's Prisoner Log - Updated 04/30/2012 DONE!!!   Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:03 pm

That baby is creepy looking (Keep it away from me! Smile) The weathering and damage on the building looks great.
Back to top Go down
Da Bank

PostSubject: Re: Mordheimer's Prisoner Log - Updated 04/30/2012 DONE!!!   Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:11 pm

very nice and very unique.
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Mordheimer's Prisoner Log - Updated 04/30/2012 DONE!!!   Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:47 pm

Thanks guys! The baby looks 'better'... but I know the change will be radical once I put the other layers. I'm SERIOUSLY thinking of dipping him too... yikes! Puke

The building is looking good... but I expect improvement after I layer the base... which doesn't match the building yet! Hopefully I get to do some more in few days.

Back to top Go down
DoZer

PostSubject: Re: Mordheimer's Prisoner Log - Updated 04/30/2012 DONE!!!   Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:43 am

So they are both getting the dipping treatment?

My only critique is that you can clearly see the delineation of the various paints on the cherub. The dip should nullify that somewhat, but even just hitting the edges of the lines with a 75/25 mix of detail/base color should cut back on the hard edges of the different paints.

I applaud thee at representing my old Renegade squad. I do however have a request...... Show more damage on the models right arm. Remember my Renegade leader has a chainsword directly attacked to the stump of his right forearm. This gives you ample opportunity to TRULY show the beginning of his down fall....

2. Though shalt not refer to thine brethren, whom the Emperor has dictated be armed with an incendiary weapon, as a "Flamer" constantly. For this has been proven to lower morale and cause strife within His Most Holy showering facilities.
3. Thou shalt not follow a Librarian around thinking, "Can you hear me now", repetitively in an attempt to drive him insane.
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Mordheimer's Prisoner Log - Updated 04/30/2012 DONE!!!   Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:08 am

DoZer wrote:
So they are both getting the dipping treatment?
Not sure... I'm kindda chicken on this matter.

DoZer wrote:
My only critique is that you can clearly see the delineation of the various paints on the cherub. The dip should nullify that somewhat, but even just hitting the edges of the lines with a 75/25 mix of detail/base color should cut back on the hard edges of the different paints.
Yes... if I decide not to dip him, then I need to do some MORE layers. I need to make the body a little more... putrid? The wings I need to darken, so they get 'separated' from the body. So far, it is a start.

DoZer wrote:
I applaud thee at representing my old Renegade squad. I do however have a request...... Show more damage on the models right arm. Remember my Renegade leader has a chainsword directly attacked to the stump of his right forearm. This gives you ample opportunity to TRULY show the beginning of his down fall....
Yes... I forgot! I had SO much trouble positioning the right hand so it 'rested' on his lap. Damn it! Hehehehe.... I think I will make a 'gash' and show some bone.... kindda like the hand is partially attached, but severely damaged. Maybe he just ripped it off! Ohhh... one more thing. How did you like his colors? Not bad?

Anyhow... thanks for the observations!

Back to top Go down
DoZer

PostSubject: Re: Mordheimer's Prisoner Log - Updated 04/30/2012 DONE!!!   Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:33 am

For the cherub I would try some rotting flesh. Its like a light green bleached bone. Even a light wash of a green will make him a little more vomit like.

The colors are pretty spot on for mine. The blue is believe it or not......Ultramarine blue. However I went with a regal blue base coat, then black washed, then hit the raised portions in ultra blue. I think it was scarab red for the armor with a black wash and a highlight of 75/25 scarab red/blood red.

2. Though shalt not refer to thine brethren, whom the Emperor has dictated be armed with an incendiary weapon, as a "Flamer" constantly. For this has been proven to lower morale and cause strife within His Most Holy showering facilities.
3. Thou shalt not follow a Librarian around thinking, "Can you hear me now", repetitively in an attempt to drive him insane.
Back to top Go down
Matt12z

PostSubject: Re: Mordheimer's Prisoner Log - Updated 04/30/2012 DONE!!!   Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:35 am

Any progress on this beauty Mord? I'm curious to see how the paintings going.
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Mordheimer's Prisoner Log - Updated 04/30/2012 DONE!!!   Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:07 pm

Nothing... family 'crisis' (I should say... normal kids)... I'm in panic! Every time I have time, it rains hard so I can't do anything. Shocked

Back to top Go down
Kiwi

PostSubject: Re: Mordheimer's Prisoner Log - Updated 04/30/2012 DONE!!!   Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:00 am

A very cinematic scene!
The cherub is very sickly looking, the wings are perfectly sized and fit in very well.
I do agree with dozer though that maybe the veins should be a bit more subtle, maybe a thin wash would do the trick?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mordheimer's Prisoner Log - Updated 04/30/2012 DONE!!!   Today at 3:45 pm

Back to top Go down

Mordheimer's Prisoner Log - Updated 04/30/2012 DONE!!!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next