The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Laney's Prisoner Exchange Log

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Da Bank

PostSubject: Re: Laney's Prisoner Exchange Log   Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:57 pm

Laney: This looks like something from "DOOM" video game and movie. That is a good thing. You have done some impressive work and freakin great imagination.
Back to top Go down
Arachas

PostSubject: Re: Laney's Prisoner Exchange Log   Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:16 am

Wait... a LITTLE greenstuff? I don't want to know what you think is 'heavy greenstuff'!!

Avatar art by HeavyMetalHanzo. Used with express permission.
Back to top Go down
Laney

PostSubject: Re: Laney's Prisoner Exchange Log   Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:02 am

I loved Doom, so that is a cool compliment - thanks!

Splurging some greenstuff on a surface and such is pretty easy really (so I've not stretched myself too far this time).

I'm trying to have the guy be a possible servitor - but once painted hopefully he will look more like a man in a space suit (minus the helmet).

Pics soon

Laney:D

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Laney's Prisoner Exchange Log   Sun Feb 19, 2012 9:43 am

Shut up Laney... pretty easy my a$$! Spreading GS like butter is easy... the way you SCULPT is very HARD! You, my friend, have a talent for sculpting, painting and UNDERSTATEMENTS.

Now... Pics, or didn\'t hap

Support Bacteria; it is the ONLY culture some people have!
Since I ask "What do you think?" to all Staff, I have included it here to save time.

DoZer Flamethrower Mordheimer Justice NEEDS to be Served! Maybe 3rd Degree burns will teach you not to Tom Sawyer me to work!

Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
Laney

PostSubject: Re: Laney's Prisoner Exchange Log   Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:23 pm

Here's the little update I promised - the detailing is done - the painting will start soon...

Finished the GS work (Mord this type of rough sculpting is made much easier with black colour shapers and a really sharp craft knife)

Last edited by Laney on Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Komfritten

PostSubject: Re: Laney's Prisoner Exchange Log   Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:25 pm

Use dropbox! I have nothing else to say... (envy envy envy)
Back to top Go down
Laney

PostSubject: Re: Laney's Prisoner Exchange Log   Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:34 pm

Just a minor glitch - sorted now - more pics are up!

Komfritten

PostSubject: Re: Laney's Prisoner Exchange Log   Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:40 pm

That is very cool... cool indeed.
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Laney's Prisoner Exchange Log   Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:15 pm

This is SOOOOOO AWESOME!!!

Since I ask "What do you think?" to all Staff, I have included it here to save time.

DoZer Flamethrower Mordheimer Justice NEEDS to be Served! Maybe 3rd Degree burns will teach you not to Tom Sawyer me to work!

Back to top Go down
DeafNala

PostSubject: Re: Laney's Prisoner Exchange Log   Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:21 pm

That is a BEAUTIFUL, IMAGINATIVELY CRAFTED PIECE! Savor the painting experience...how often do you get a chance to paint a one of a kind piece? Shocked
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Laney's Prisoner Exchange Log   Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:27 pm

Well said Deaf... almost never! My past Prisoner Exchange experience was wonderful! I got lucky in many ways... I managed to get over my paralyzing fear of Green Stuff, I managed to make verdegris patena (thanks to Laney!), I crafted something in wood and let my inner gobbo freak out... OHHH!!!! And I got to paint a TOILET!

Working for a month on something, thinking it was for Laney (he was my Recipient) made me focus on him as a person too. I managed to cultivate a great friendship... to the point that when I think of England, I think of Big Ben, the Queen, the guard with the puffy hat and Laney (even when I have NO idea how he looks like!)

So... ENJOY the adventure! Build, convert and paint your unique piece today... as for tomorrow we... errr... paint an army? I only wish...!

Back to top Go down
Laney

PostSubject: Re: Laney's Prisoner Exchange Log   Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:57 am

I've made my first attempt at using an airbrush and it was an unmitigated disaster. I will be buying some vallejo air paints and a compressor in the near future, but the prisoner may get a more traditional approach, so that I can stay sane!

I'll show some painted pics in a couple of days, once I've fixed the major issues.

Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: Laney's Prisoner Exchange Log   Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:01 pm

Vallejo air definitely makes life easier when learning how to airbrush! Part of the trick with the airbrush is realizing its limitations. It takes a lot of control to airbrush small areas.
Back to top Go down
http://rustandthecity.blogspot.com/
Komfritten

PostSubject: Re: Laney's Prisoner Exchange Log   Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:41 pm

Agreed! Valejo Air and a compressor is a complete must!

I find that it's not that hard with the right equipment, but again - I had to almost remake my Land Raider last day...
Back to top Go down
Laney

PostSubject: Re: Laney's Prisoner Exchange Log   Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:32 pm

Here is the airbrush disaster from earlier in the week. I'm going to work on fixing the prisoner first (no idea about colour scheme, I'm just going to play with it) and then worry about saving the base afterwards.

Cheers Laney

Last edited by Laney on Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Komfritten

PostSubject: Re: Laney's Prisoner Exchange Log   Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:58 pm

Can't see the pics Sad
Back to top Go down
Da Bank

PostSubject: Re: Laney's Prisoner Exchange Log   Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:49 pm

wow, that is an awesome design.
Back to top Go down
DeafNala

PostSubject: Re: Laney's Prisoner Exchange Log   Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:13 pm

From the photos the damage looks a lot less horrendous than you portrayed it...I think it will turn out to be a FINE piece. Keep the faith, Baby! clown
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Laney's Prisoner Exchange Log   Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:06 pm

DeafNala wrote:
From the photos the damage looks a lot less horrendous than you portrayed it...I think it will turn out to be a FINE piece. Keep the faith, Baby! clown
I have finally seen the day in which I disagree with Deaf... that looks bad! By the Emperor's Diapers... what happened? I mean, technically it looks good... but the color! Unholy Green Glow! HAahahaha....

What I love about the 'disaster' is that now your Prisoner is a REAL testament of you pushing the envelope. This is Laney... without fear! Trying new techniques. Yes, it seems like a failure (in terms of color)... but eventually will be GLORIOUS! The Recipient will be very proud to know that at one point in time, this great piece was... glowing green. Wink

Keep at it Brother! You have a TRUE talent when it comes to combine colors to create great effects (unparalleled in my opinion) so once you get used to the air-brush there won't be anything stopping you. THANKS for sharing your journey... makes me proud of being here!

[center]============================= Aquila =============================[/center

EDIT: HOLY COW!!! I had an epiphany! I went to look at the pics again (I needed another laugh... sorry! Embarassed ) when it hit me like a Power Fist. That is EXACTLY what I need to do for the glow effect on MY Prisoner. Wow... do NOT look at this as a 'failure'... look at it as you teaching me what I needed to do! THANKS!!!!

Back to top Go down
Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: Laney's Prisoner Exchange Log   Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:44 am

The airbrush can be a cruel mistress. Half the times I use it I love it. Half the times I spend hours fiddling and getting frustrated. The great thing is that the paint is so thin it is easy to cover mistakes without losing details. The inside is looking really good I think. Some washes in the shadows and I think the depth and grime would be great. The green created a nice start to a glow effect around the head but I am guessing that it is much more pronounced than you had wanted.

Might I suggest Vallejo Model Air Dark Earth as a great colour to add a thin layer of dust and dirt on the diorama and the boots of the model? Is a nice and easy effect to do.

Back to top Go down
DeafNala

PostSubject: Re: Laney's Prisoner Exchange Log   Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:08 am

Mord...I meant the piece wasn't ruined; he just has to paint over that dreadful green. clown
Back to top Go down
Laney

PostSubject: Re: Laney's Prisoner Exchange Log   Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:46 pm

I'll fix the green no problem - the other side is ok (I think) . Here is the revamped prisoner (still very WIP) any C and C welcome...

The skin is hopefully that of a voidborn (or possibly a genestealer hybrid?). The idea for the tattoos came from the new Ridley Scott movie Prometheus - the character Fifield has them on his head. The overall look reminds me (unintentionally) of an old fighting fantasy book from my childhood called Space Assassin.

Anyway... The Caretaker

I'll try to take some better pics in natural light tomorrow.

Doesn't actually look much like this at all in retrospect...

Cheers Laney:D

Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: Laney's Prisoner Exchange Log   Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:28 pm

A movie inspired tattoos on his head?!?!? Have you seen your avatar! Hahahaha.

The prisoner looks absolutely superb. I love the orange. I am not often a fan of orange but yours look great. The eyes and plasma glow also look very nice. The dust on the cables is nice too.
Back to top Go down
Da Bank

PostSubject: Re: Laney's Prisoner Exchange Log   Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:02 pm

awesome and deeply jealous. Smile
Back to top Go down
dr!zzt

PostSubject: Re: Laney's Prisoner Exchange Log   Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:01 pm

i'm really impressed, shading on clathes are great, i had a lot problems with blue, but here its awesome!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Laney's Prisoner Exchange Log   Today at 10:14 am

Back to top Go down

Laney's Prisoner Exchange Log
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next