Death Squads Game Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Balangaz's Prisoner Exchange Log

Go down 
+6
DeafNala
Mordheimer
Gatlag Stonetooth
Laney
Narcissus
balangaz
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
balangaz

balangaz

Balangaz's Prisoner Exchange Log Empty
PostSubject: Balangaz's Prisoner Exchange Log   Balangaz's Prisoner Exchange Log I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 1:44 am

Ok, gotta say I had an idea today and it's been keeping me up thinking about it. I just hope I get someone who wants something corrupted lol

I ordered a couple of sets of Drug Crazed Loonatics to use Sanctioned Psykers but I had this idea...

Balangaz's Prisoner Exchange Log 2zombs02_shop

I'll use some hirst molds to create a dark asylum room with the model right on the middle and a spotlight illuminating just him, making the room darker from absence of light, but now I split between two visions.

The first would be normal paint on the model and a scenic diorama with a floor, 3 walls and a ceiling. The floor would have a slot where the base could fit and, on the ceiling, we would have an opening where you could place a small flashlight, creating a focused beam of light on top of the miniature and lighting some of the room, who would be all written over. This is the easy version, since all the osl would be done with real light, and since I never painted a good osl before this would be the safe bet.

The alternative would be a floor with only two walls and actually paint all the shadows and osl on the model.

Since the models are still on their way (ordered them on dez 06th...) I'll get started on the asylum room.

Wish me luck!

Last edited by balangaz on Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Narcissus

Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: Balangaz's Prisoner Exchange Log   Balangaz's Prisoner Exchange Log I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 1:52 am

Those models are really cool. A really cool concept too. The OSL might be really difficult in this case. I have seen examples of OSL being the only source of light in a painted diorama before. The artists paint with a very dark, muted palette and then add colour tinted highlights where the light is. It seems like a very challenging technique.

Here are some examples:
http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/384308.page (more pics on the page!)
Balangaz's Prisoner Exchange Log 249212_sm- Balangaz's Prisoner Exchange Log 249213_sm-
Balangaz's Prisoner Exchange Log 249215_sm- Balangaz's Prisoner Exchange Log 249216_sm-

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/338831.page
Balangaz's Prisoner Exchange Log Eavymetal05bct1
Back to top Go down
http://rustandthecity.blogspot.com/
balangaz

balangaz

PostSubject: Re: Balangaz's Prisoner Exchange Log   Balangaz's Prisoner Exchange Log I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 2:15 am

Challenging indeed, that's why I'm reluctant to try

check these, they are so cool...

http://www.coolminiornot.com/128089
Balangaz's Prisoner Exchange Log Img44c4696f94edf

http://www.coolminiornot.com/78595
Balangaz's Prisoner Exchange Log Img41ec4e3d927dd

http://www.coolminiornot.com/82809
Balangaz's Prisoner Exchange Log Img4224f6c194efa
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Balangaz's Prisoner Exchange Log   Balangaz's Prisoner Exchange Log I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 3:04 am

Great concept - looking forward to seeing the asylum room in progress (excellent choice of model too).

Laney
Back to top Go down
Narcissus

Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: Balangaz's Prisoner Exchange Log   Balangaz's Prisoner Exchange Log I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 3:08 am

As they say in Thailand, "Never try, never know."
Back to top Go down
Gatlag Stonetooth

Gatlag Stonetooth

PostSubject: Re: Balangaz's Prisoner Exchange Log   Balangaz's Prisoner Exchange Log I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 9:04 am

Sounds like a sweet idea for a project! Curious to your progress!
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Balangaz's Prisoner Exchange Log   Balangaz's Prisoner Exchange Log I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 9:35 am

SWEET BABY EMPEROR!!!! Shocked

You really are pushing the envelope! WOW! This is an insane project! Get it? Making an insane model in an insane asylum... insanely hard to build and paint? BAH!

Anyhow... awesome! This is going to be GREAT!
Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
DeafNala

DeafNala

PostSubject: Re: Balangaz's Prisoner Exchange Log   Balangaz's Prisoner Exchange Log I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 23, 2012 10:27 am

I'm already impressed; i.e., the amount of thought/planning involved has already surpassed the amount of cerebral & otherwise effort I put into anything. My stuff evolves ad lib...this, of course, could be yet another sign of imminent senility. clown
Back to top Go down
balangaz

balangaz

PostSubject: Re: Balangaz's Prisoner Exchange Log   Balangaz's Prisoner Exchange Log I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2012 1:14 am

Ok, minis are home, and the guy is an angel. I ordered 3 sets of 2 psychos and one giant dude. What I got was 4 sets, the giant dude and 2 other minis, a werewolf and a mud gentleman.

Also, passed by my grandmother's house and picked up some ceramic tiles, thought I could use them instead of hirst molds but not sure about it, they are too small to be of any good.

Having a hard time making the walls, and I even thought about doing just the floor, but then there wouldn't be enough lighting effect. This project's testing me....
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Balangaz's Prisoner Exchange Log   Balangaz's Prisoner Exchange Log I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 27, 2012 8:23 am

pics of your models!!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
balangaz

balangaz

PostSubject: Re: Balangaz's Prisoner Exchange Log   Balangaz's Prisoner Exchange Log I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 01, 2012 10:41 am

Been a while since I don't post but I have a reason, I've been helping a friend of mine with his first army, but it's time to get back on this project.

After receiving the models I found a problem. They come with a small rubble base, and trying to get the miniature out of it proved to be impossible without breaking it's leg (also, it gave me a nice deep cut on a finger and palm), so I had to think of a way to conciliate my asylum idea with a rubble floor.

7 loonies
Balangaz's Prisoner Exchange Log Crazedlunatics-1

Rubble base with some extra plaster base
Balangaz's Prisoner Exchange Log IMG_20120201_102311-1

What I could think is the same asylum room, with the same lighting, but with the area around the psycho destroyed by a psychic outburst. I broke a few ceramic tiles and glued them to a base, cut some foamboard and I'm waiting for it to dry, then I'll trake some progress pictures

EDIT: Scenic base almost done, not much details or bits but it is supposed to be a naked room! Maybe I should replace 4 tiles with a door...

Balangaz's Prisoner Exchange Log IMG_20120201_151730-1

Balangaz's Prisoner Exchange Log IMG_20120201_151706-1
Back to top Go down
Narcissus

Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: Balangaz's Prisoner Exchange Log   Balangaz's Prisoner Exchange Log I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 12:27 am

Looks awesome. Great concept. That model will look great in there. A giant steel door with a big steel door frame would look really cool on one of the walls. It would really enhance the industrial look and add some visual interest. Maybe some restraints chained to one wall too? Very cool model so far!
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Balangaz's Prisoner Exchange Log   Balangaz's Prisoner Exchange Log I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 3:01 am

To echo Narcissus. This is going really effectively from possibility to reality - the initial stages look great!

With the exception of the addition he suggested I would keep it plain to emphasise the prisoner more.

Excellent Work

Very Happy Laney

Must post an update on mine!
Back to top Go down
DeafNala

DeafNala

PostSubject: Re: Balangaz's Prisoner Exchange Log   Balangaz's Prisoner Exchange Log I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 7:12 am

VERY NICE WORK! Having worked in a closed psychiatric ward I can with some certainty say that is how a "padded room" looks...from the inside the door would look just like part of the wall. This going to be a VERY COOL piece.
Back to top Go down
balangaz

balangaz

PostSubject: Re: Balangaz's Prisoner Exchange Log   Balangaz's Prisoner Exchange Log I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 3:40 pm

@Narcissus I though about chains before (nothing says psyker more than chained psyker, think I saw that on 'jin roh' but can't be sure), but I don't have any chains that fit the size and hirst door molds wouldn't fit this build well. I think I'll stay away from details for this build, even though I'm aching to build a small ruined chair, table and some medic papers to throw around the floor, but I fear it will be too crowded with eye distractions.

@Deaf hmmm "worked there" you say, we'll say that we believe just so we don't aggravate you ;D

Still trinking about adding some chains on the walls, they do fit the "40k psyker ward" feel, but I'm inclined on just leaving the room blank. The OSL will be challenging enough ;D

After priming it white (The primary color of the base), I got my phone and a camera and started thinking about lighting. Here are two reference pictures I'll be using.

This first on gives a feel of a dark room with light coming from under the door. The cool thing about this type of lighting is that I could place the model's back towards the light source and try to paint glowing eyes (this tutorial is amazing, I would try it with green or purple for this guy though).

Balangaz's Prisoner Exchange Log DSCF0408

The other reference pic I took is from the original idea, with the dark room and with the light source right above the miniature. I had to drawn a couple of markers because I couldn't place the light right where I wanted, but you can get the picture of how it would look. The circle would be in the center of the room with the light fading towards the walls, following the pattern of the lower arrow, from the inside out. If this is the way to go, then no glowing eyes could be done on the miniature because with the light right above him the light/dark contrast would be too strong for me to try another OSL on the miniature.

Balangaz's Prisoner Exchange Log DSCF0407

Honestly I'm leaning towards using the dark room from the first picture while using the strong light of the second picture on top of the miniature, but I'll leave this open to suggestions until Saturday. I got to say I'm really looking forward to try my hand at the OSL with an airbrush...

I know this can be a little confusing, but I tried to make this as simple as I could so you guys could give me some feedback.

EDIT: Gosh, anyone remembers what's the movie where soldiers used some the chained blind monsters to 'smell/Psychic sense' the enemies? It's driving me crazy here...

Last edited by balangaz on Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Balangaz's Prisoner Exchange Log   Balangaz's Prisoner Exchange Log I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 02, 2012 9:45 pm

You can get CHEAP jewelry chain (not gold!)... at our scale, it could be the correct size. Try going to a place that sell stuff to saw clothes or make crafts.

First pic is BEST! put the model, take the photo again with all the shadows. Then use it to paint. EXCELLENT hint... I got to try this one day. THANKS!
Back to top Go down
Komfritten

Komfritten

PostSubject: Re: Balangaz's Prisoner Exchange Log   Balangaz's Prisoner Exchange Log I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 2:28 am

Riddick? They use some sort of man-creature to "see" if someones alive... he "sees" the veins and blood of people...
Back to top Go down
mudboy

mudboy

PostSubject: Re: Balangaz's Prisoner Exchange Log   Balangaz's Prisoner Exchange Log I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2012 12:21 pm

This could very well become one of the coolest prisoners ever!

Looking forward to the finished result.
Back to top Go down
balangaz

balangaz

PostSubject: Re: Balangaz's Prisoner Exchange Log   Balangaz's Prisoner Exchange Log I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 04, 2012 9:17 pm

Komfritten wrote:
Riddick? They use some sort of man-creature to "see" if someones alive... he "sees" the veins and blood of people...

This! Thank you man! I even went to see the movie again but it still sucked =/

Did the first part of the OSL effect on the diorama, only used 2 colors here, still need to hit the other way with dark grey and black.

Balangaz's Prisoner Exchange Log IMG_20120204_110943

Balangaz's Prisoner Exchange Log IMG_20120204_110836

Balangaz's Prisoner Exchange Log IMG_20120204_110902
Back to top Go down
balangaz

balangaz

PostSubject: Re: Balangaz's Prisoner Exchange Log   Balangaz's Prisoner Exchange Log I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 29, 2012 9:15 pm

I'm not death, I just took an arrow to the knee. I was studing to take the bar exams and it's been crazy. I began painting again just last week and i'll be able to deliver in time.

Also, the wall broke so the diorama will be floor and psyker only =/
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Balangaz's Prisoner Exchange Log   Balangaz's Prisoner Exchange Log I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 30, 2012 7:06 am

Ohhh... too bad about the wall. Anyhow... it will be GREAT!
Back to top Go down
balangaz

balangaz

PostSubject: Re: Balangaz's Prisoner Exchange Log   Balangaz's Prisoner Exchange Log I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2012 1:09 am

Ended up changing the concept on my prisioner, and after a couple of hours it's done!

Only did that because I have no more airbrush to work with and trying to create light and shadows with spray cans is something I cannot do...

I won't post pics but I'll post his background as soon as it's finished and I may even paint a few others so it can be used as the 'special rule' it has.... hint hint
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Balangaz's Prisoner Exchange Log   Balangaz's Prisoner Exchange Log I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2012 7:19 am

ohh... Sad
But we do the best we can! Anyhow, take plenty of pics... so AFTER the Prisoner is received and a new thread is open by the Recipient, you can also post them there!
Back to top Go down
DeafNala

DeafNala

PostSubject: Re: Balangaz's Prisoner Exchange Log   Balangaz's Prisoner Exchange Log I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2012 7:42 am

CONGRATULATIONS on finishing the Beasty...now you're free again! cheers
As Himself said, take lots of photos; re, you can never be sure the Guy you are sending it to has the ability or the inclination to post pics. Suspect
Back to top Go down
Dysturbed

Dysturbed

PostSubject: Re: Balangaz's Prisoner Exchange Log   Balangaz's Prisoner Exchange Log I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2012 7:48 am

When painting or drawing at least a flat planes highlights will always be the brightest unless they are in a cast shadow. That being said every time you change planes you change the value one shade darker. so one plane that is perpendicular to your base plane would be a middle gray as it's (main) color (you can still highlight but don't use a highlight as bright as the flat plane (unless something protrudes form). Then if there is another plane (the one on the left on your piece it should be the darkest of the colors because you have changed planes 2 times.

That might just confuse you and put a bunch of art speak out you don't understand though. And I think I'm too late anyhow but for anyone else that is doing this too.

Balangaz's Prisoner Exchange Log Value01
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Balangaz's Prisoner Exchange Log   Balangaz's Prisoner Exchange Log I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Balangaz's Prisoner Exchange Log
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next