The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Narcissus' Prisoner Exchange log

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' Prisoner Exchange log   Thu May 03, 2012 6:03 pm

Thanks everyone. Yesterday I wasn't sure if this model would turn out decently. Now I think it will be alright. It would have been much easier to just buy a model in greatcoat and then do a minor conversion to get what I wanted though...

Komfritten-There is nothing complex about the greenstuff on this model. It is mostly just a matter of patience and letting each layer set before adding more detail.

I've done a bit more work on the base. I sprayed it with primer and added the label.

Back to top Go down
http://rustandthecity.blogspot.com/
Dysturbed

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' Prisoner Exchange log   Thu May 03, 2012 10:24 pm

That tag is bad ass. love the font particularly.

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.” ~George Carlin
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' Prisoner Exchange log   Thu May 03, 2012 10:56 pm

Every time I see ANYTHING on this thread I get teared up. This is FREAKING AMAZING! My mind is blown away. At this point, I'm just grateful that you took so many WiP pics. If you decide to keep it is OK. Really. WOW! Look at the FREAKING BELT!!! It has holes! Definitely... OFFICIALLY, in my Bucket List is to go to Canada sit down with you and WATCH how you sculpt. Fukc visiting Forge World... they can kiss my @$$!!! Seeing Narcissus work at his place... now THAT is the thing to do before dying!

Narcissus wrote:
Cheers! I am imagining that he is taking a rest after setting up the bomb on the diorama and hears an explosion in the distance. He holds up his bottle in a salute to his anonymous fallen adversary.
You know what? That is exactly what I thought! As you know, I have the bad habit of looking at the pics without reading the text. I imagine how it was to work the models and make little stories. I know... silly. But keeps me busy. Anyway, I saw the pic and I "joked" that instead a Molotov Cocktail it was a bottle of XX, drinking in the name of fallen comrades.

I guess, great minds think alike. Just Kidding

Narcissus wrote:
I added shoulder pads. I think they are from the heavy weapons team box or from tank crew or something. I think the shoulder pads really clean up the proportions in many ways. This model should fit in better with other GW models now.
The shoulder pads are GENIUS. I did not thought it was going to make sense. GLAD TO BE WRONG!!!

Narcissus wrote:
Thanks everyone. Yesterday I wasn't sure if this model would turn out decently. Now I think it will be alright.
BULL! There are no words to describe how AMAZING this is. FYI... you just created a new Sculpting Level "Narcissilicous"! All right my @$$!

Narcissus wrote:
It would have been much easier to just buy a model in greatcoat and then do a minor conversion to get what I wanted though...
Probably so... but that model would have not made me cry like this one has. WHAT?! I'm a sucker for art and bunnies!

Dysturbed wrote:
That tag is bad ass. love the font particularly.
I agree 100%!!! You know that I have problems making rust like that... this models represents everything I can't do... YET. Wink

Support Bacteria; it is the ONLY culture some people have!
Since I ask "What do you think?" to all Staff, I have included it here to save time.

DoZer Flamethrower Mordheimer Justice NEEDS to be Served! Maybe 3rd Degree burns will teach you not to Tom Sawyer me to work!

Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
Laney

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' Prisoner Exchange log   Fri May 04, 2012 1:54 am

Excellent - the whole model has come together superbly and the base is looking great (love the label). Mord's a lucky guy!

Laney:D

Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' Prisoner Exchange log   Fri May 04, 2012 2:48 am

Dysturbed-I spent a long time picking a font for the sign. I downloaded the russian fonts from this excellent website da font. You can download and install the fonts the use them in applications like MS Word. Very useful.

Mord-I am touched that you are so pleased with it. I really wanted to show step by step pictures to show how these things go together. It was looking pretty bad for a while but it has started to come together nicely as I put the bits together. Watching me sculpt would be mind numbingly boring. It is really slow. And most of the time is spent figuring out what I will do and how I will do it. I had thought about making a molotov cocktail too. But the scene is not dynamic. He is resting and at ease.

Laney-I am glad you approve. I really appreciate your constructive criticism with my projects. It always pushes me to look critically at my projects and refine them. Do you think the lapels are ok as is? I have half a mind to bulk them up a little around the scarf. I don't want to create a mess with two layers of fur though.

The label on the base was really easy to do. I kind of wish I took step by step pictures to show it.

1. Print out label on regular paper (I used size 12-16 font I think). I downloaded the russian font from da font.
2. Cut label to desired size.
3. Apply white glue thinly with a paintbrush to the back.
4. Stick in desired spot.
5. Cover with varnish or glue (paint on or airbrush the varnish).
6. Create streaks and dirty areas with many, many washes of gryphonne sepia, devlan mud, and ogryn flesh washes. I tried to focus the streaks around the edges, down from lettering, and in a few major streaks.
7. Flick (with a brush) and sponge on devlan mud and gryphonne sepia in patches.
Back to top Go down
Kiwi

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' Prisoner Exchange log   Sat May 05, 2012 12:52 am

Out of this world sculpting. The base is looking very nice too.
Back to top Go down
Laney

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' Prisoner Exchange log   Sat May 05, 2012 3:24 am

You definitely don't need to do anything more to the fur collar (IMO), the overall look of the model is spot on. I think changing anything at this stage might break the 'balance' of the model (I hope that makes sense).

How did you do the lenses on the gas mask? - they are perfect and I want to make a gas mask on one or two of my new models based on this.

Thanks Laney:D

Da Bank

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' Prisoner Exchange log   Sat May 05, 2012 3:31 pm

The model looks great. I hope there is a great story with him. hint hint.
Back to top Go down
Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' Prisoner Exchange log   Sat May 12, 2012 4:51 am

Thanks Kiwi.

Laney-I used this tutorial (basically) for the gas masks Nerd Forest gas masks.

Da Bank-I will try to do a story sometime soon. I know Mord would like one.

Mordheimer-Here are some progress shots. I went to prime it today and my primer was empty. So I primed it with the airbrush, airbrushed it black, then airbrushed US Grey and Light Grey into slight zenithal highlights using the airbrush.

Oh yeah, I added the cable to the mask last week too.

The airbrush behaved today. No real clogging or issues. Just a few small problems with globs of paint. I airbrushed the objective bases at the same time as well. I also painted some shadows on the coat (not shown).
Back to top Go down
Skeller

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' Prisoner Exchange log   Sat May 12, 2012 8:48 am

This guy is beautiful. Great work.
Back to top Go down
http://www.goblinminimart.com
Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' Prisoner Exchange log   Sat May 12, 2012 10:53 am

AWESOME!!!! And to think that we can look back when this thing was almost a frame... AMAZING!!!

Since I ask "What do you think?" to all Staff, I have included it here to save time.

DoZer Flamethrower Mordheimer Justice NEEDS to be Served! Maybe 3rd Degree burns will teach you not to Tom Sawyer me to work!

Back to top Go down
Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' Prisoner Exchange log   Wed May 16, 2012 3:52 am

Skeller-I'm glad you think he is beautiful. That mask might cover a horribly scarred face or something.

Mord-When it is all finished I will put together a little series of step by step pictures showing the progression.

Some updated WIP painting pictures. I have everything basecoated (except the base). There are a few highlights on the fur. The grey has zenithal highlights and glazed shadows. It will still get more love. I am beginning to feel like this model is approaching the home stretch...

MORDHEIMER (I had to shout to get your attention, I know you only look at pictures)-what is your favourite drink (that comes in a bottle)? If possible, I could try to paint the bottle to approximate it. Beer, wine, vodka, rum? (Hope this is ok in this family forum).
Back to top Go down
Gatlag Stonetooth

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' Prisoner Exchange log   Wed May 16, 2012 4:21 am

He's starting to look even more awesome! Cool
I can Imagine Mord's a Captain Morgan fan:
Back to top Go down
Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' Prisoner Exchange log   Wed May 16, 2012 4:27 am

Thanks Gatlag. I was thinking Mord might like rum too.

Here is a small update after a thorough application of Devlan Mud. I'm getting excited. Only a few layers of highlights and then I can start weathering! Then I can airbrush dirt everywhere and paint the base. I am hoping to get this thing done by the weekend, although that might be a bit optimistic.

Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' Prisoner Exchange log   Wed May 16, 2012 9:00 am

Narcissus wrote:
MORDHEIMER (I had to shout to get your attention, I know you only look at pictures)
By the Emperor's Toe Jam! That was so true... ha! I looked at the text below and consciously thought "Screw the text! Look at that mask!" then I saw my name... hehehehe..

Well, I'm a Rum drinker... I'm from the Caribbean! Gatlag is right... Captain Morgan is not only delicious, but awesome!

Speaking of AWESOME... wow! That model looks amazing! I like the color scheme... very Russian! The mask looks amazing! WOW!!!!!!

Back to top Go down
Gatlag Stonetooth

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' Prisoner Exchange log   Wed May 16, 2012 9:21 am

Mordheimer wrote:
Well, I'm a Rum drinker... I'm from the Caribbean! Gatlag is right... Captain Morgan is not only delicious, but awesome!
Yay! Nice to know that I still have some insight in human character. Smile
Back to top Go down
Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' Prisoner Exchange log   Thu May 17, 2012 4:07 am

I'm glad you think he looks Russian, Mord. That is kind of the general asthetic I was going for. The grimness of krieg and renegade models with the stylistic look of communist russia. I imagine that like your prisoner that he is in a twisted revolutionary uprising.

I did a bit of highlight work and work on the bottle.

I made the tag by painting on a tiny piece of paper and gluing, varnishing, and washing it one it was applied. It is a bit thick, but that is ok. I wanted to have Captain Morgan on it, but the scale was too small.

I've read about temporarily mounting models on something to paint before but have never bothered. What a difference! It is much more comfortable to hold, much easier to manipulate the model, and avoids the skin oils and rubbing and contact with painted areas.

The model is nearing completion now. I want to paint an empty area on the bottle. Then I will do a little more washing, shadows, and highlighting. Then I will airbrush the base and add grime to the bottom of the model. Then drybrush and detail the base and diorama and then it should be finished.

I am hoping to have it in the post on Wednesday. Sorry it is so delayed Mord. If I hadn't taken so long it would be a totally different project though. You would have one of my imperial renegades. Instead you have this much more interesting model!
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' Prisoner Exchange log   Thu May 17, 2012 7:00 am

First... the model is AMAZING! There are no words to describe it. Hell... I'm very close to switch to Spanish (the ultimate compliment for me!) My kids saw the latest...

ALEJANDRO (6 years old): Ohhh!!! He has a beer!
Me: A Beard? No, papi... he has a gas mask.
ALEJANDRO: Ohhh... NO! A BEER!
Me: Hehehe... yes. It is a beer.
VALERIA (11 years old): When he drops it on the ground... will it explode? It IS alcohol... it goes BOOM!
TATIANA (4 years old): HA! BOOM! {runs away screaming 'BOOM!'}

Needless to say... they like it!

Bottle Label: It looks GREAT! No need to change it... but if you want, we could bother Dysturbed or Colonel Prius... I'm sure they could photoshop a reduction of the real thing. Up to you... I love it none the less!

Mounting models: YES!!! It makes huge difference. I 'discovered' this with the Prisoner. I have empty medicine bottles which I blue tac the model... no more hand cramps.

Shipping: HA! Don't you worry. I'm loving the experience... and like I said before, I'm perfectly OK if you want to keep it. This is WAY too cool! Seeing your creative process has been a one of the HUGE highlights of the year for me. THANKS!!!

Back to top Go down
mudboy

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' Prisoner Exchange log   Thu May 17, 2012 9:21 am

This really is an awesome prisoner!

Keep it up Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Komfritten

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' Prisoner Exchange log   Thu May 17, 2012 9:40 am

That is really good Narc. Really like the layering, and the way you made the grey stand out and not be too "plain" great work and skill.

The modelling work is too impressive, and do not stand back for anything in my opinion. I understand the eager happieness of Mord =)

Back to top Go down
Laney

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' Prisoner Exchange log   Thu May 17, 2012 1:39 pm

Superbly crisp paintwork Narcissus - very good technique - will you be dirtying him up?

Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' Prisoner Exchange log   Thu May 17, 2012 3:42 pm

Thanks everyone.

Laney-of course I will dirty him up. might try to keep it fairly low key though. Chipped shoulder pads and dirt on the boots pants and jacket. I can't decide if I should paint small light points in the lenses too. I am pretty nervous to do the clear glass.
Back to top Go down
Komfritten

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' Prisoner Exchange log   Thu May 17, 2012 3:50 pm

You really should! But maybe with green lenses instead of the common blue ones Wink
Back to top Go down
Laney

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' Prisoner Exchange log   Thu May 17, 2012 4:45 pm

Low key will work really well (and not cover the already great paint job). Little light flashes on the lenses would look great.

Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' Prisoner Exchange log   Tue May 22, 2012 7:13 pm

Quick update. Almost done.

Painted the lenses a little.

Did some work on the bottle

Weathered the painted metal. Airbrushed dirt. Started painting the base.

Left to do: drybrush wood, airbrush black on diorama base, rust pigments on some metals, varnish, add snow.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' Prisoner Exchange log   Today at 7:32 am

Back to top Go down

Narcissus' Prisoner Exchange log
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next