Death Squads Game Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log

Go down 
+10
DoZer
Komfritten
dumdeedum
Narcissus
DeafNala
Laney
Gatlag Stonetooth
Mordheimer
skavenslayer
Lazi
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Narcissus

Narcissus

Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log   Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 18, 2012 3:30 pm

You could add more depth to the rust by using a sponge to create many layers of different colour of oxidized iron and then clean up the shadows with a light wash. I would say that adding some colour to a few parts (different painted panels) and then weathering it would look great. Here is a tutorial from A Gentleman's Ones showing how to use the sponge technique for rusting a surface.
Back to top Go down
http://rustandthecity.blogspot.com/
Lazi

Lazi

PostSubject: Re: Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log   Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 18, 2012 4:24 pm

DeafNala wrote:
That's coming along VERY, VERY WELL! I love what you've done so far with the groundwork...all the screws lying around give the impression he's shedding parts as he moves. Keep up the FINE WORK!

On the colors: I have a fondness for red; so that's what I'd go for. A dark metallic would look cool for the interior...it would contrast with the "pilots" skin coloration. clown

Thank you. The screws were added especially for this reason Smile The idea was: "Is it falling apart or are these the leftovers from the box" (you know that weird moment when you dismantle something and then put it back together and there are two more screw left Very Happy ).

I will probably end up with the red as the main color. As for the metal - I currently have just the mithril silver at my disposal, which looks nice when mixed with black. Do you think this might be the way? Or should I aim for more brass or brozish look for the insides?

For the pilot I will attempt somewhat brighter green I saw on my friends orks.

Komfritten wrote:
I tried the hsrspray and salt thing with an ordinary brush... do not go there...

I was thinking of trying just the hairspray. It should make the layer of paint less adhesive and therefore easier to scrape from the base color. But I will test it on a piece of plastic (pot, plasticard or whatever) first. Thanks for warning me Wink

Mordheimer wrote:
OK... first I want to say that I may ask you for a commission... your Trash-Kan is THE stuff of legends!

You honor me Wink Thank you!

Commission you say? Well, I will write you down on the list Very Happy You know, one of my friends is alredy planning how to break into my flat and steal it Very Happy
But if you would really have a strong desire to have one, I am opened to the idea Wink But trust me - you would have much more fn doing it yourself Wink It's actually quite easy...

As staded above - the red color is number one right now. The white is really interesting idea, but I am a little bit scarred of painting large areas in white (I tried it on my Breevan IG-men and I believe it came out nicely, but the paint is quite thick, which doesn't matter so much on the cloth the IG-men are wearing as it would on the metal plates. Maybe using the plain metal instead of the white might be the way.

The idea of Ultramarine-ish Kan is interesting, but I won't go that way for two reasons - first I am really not fond of Ultramarines and second I have my lizardmen painted in blue, my Breevans also have some blue details and even few dark elf minis I have are mainly blue, so I want to try some totally different color Very Happy

Narcissus wrote:
You could add more depth to the rust by using a sponge to create many layers of different colour of oxidized iron and then clean up the shadows with a light wash. I would say that adding some colour to a few parts (different painted panels) and then weathering it would look great. Here is a tutorial from A Gentleman's Ones showing how to use the sponge technique for rusting a surface.

Thanks for the link. Every information on the topic of rust effect is most appreciated.
I actually used the sponge technique, but maybe I might go harder on it - cevering a larger area of the model with it. Washes and different colors for different parts will come (soon enough, I hope).
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log   Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 18, 2012 7:41 pm

Lazi wrote:
You know, one of my friends is alredy planning how to break into my flat and steal it Very Happy
Sorry to disappoint... but I have a scheduled visit to mudboy's house first! Lots of stuff there... Twisted Evil

While I would definitely try to do this on my own, I like to collect REAL art from great artists. One day I will paint some gobbos DeafNala Style, but as you can suspect, my paint will never be the same as his. So I treasure the models I have from him as inspirational climaxes on my artistic life. Go check the Space Hulk Terminators (LINK) he painted for me. I still get teary eyed when I see them or Lulu (LINK). Wink I feel the same about Laney's visions... completely different style, but the effects are amazing non the less. He can do amazing conversions and... above ALL... he can combine colors (mixed or layers) in ways I can comprehend even when I see them. Check the work on The Albino (LINK) I begged him to do for me. I love painting... but I also ADMIRE other people's work. In terms of the creative ingenuity, your Trash-Kan is in the same neighborhood. You have the creative visions and talent to execute them. Lots of people (like me) have ideas but are all talk. You managed to do. That is something I admire... thus having a Lazi's Original is a great thing for me. For the record, I'm still waiting for my Dozer's Originals... hehehehe... one day I will get my Warp Entities!!! HA!

Anyhow... keep the work going. You are doing GREAT! We will talk about the paint-pot Trash-Kan for decades to come! (errr... no pressure!)
Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
mudboy

mudboy

PostSubject: Re: Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log   Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 9:52 am

Mordheimer wrote:
Sorry to disappoint... but I have a scheduled visit to mudboy's house first! Lots of stuff there... Twisted Evil

I just bought a crate of claymores from the local surplus. I dare ya!

On topic: That trashcan is amazing. I'll have to make one myself using yours as a template!

The rust look's really good and Narcissus is right. A sponge or that foam that used to come in blisters is great for making weather effects.
Back to top Go down
Lazi

Lazi

PostSubject: Re: Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log   Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 19, 2012 12:20 pm

mudboy wrote:
On topic: That trashcan is amazing. I'll have to make one myself using yours as a template!

Thanks. I am glad I inspired you. But don't forget its not originally my idea. paint pot trash kan did appear somewhere on this forum some time ago - so I just used the idea and made it in my style (if I have a style Very Happy ). Anyway - Go for it! I would love to see more of these in different variations Wink

mudboy wrote:
The rust look's really good and Narcissus is right. A sponge or that foam that used to come in blisters is great for making weather effects.

Yep, the blister sponge is great tool. But it seems one needs a little bit of practice - just to learn how to use it (I mean to learn what are all the possibilities and what the outcome wil look like). But that applies for all other tools and techniques.
Back to top Go down
Skeller

Skeller

PostSubject: Re: Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log   Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2012 7:08 pm

Behold!

The Trash Kan has arrived! All the way from Prague, Czech Republic to Richmond, Virginia, USA!

I heard the post man on my porch during dinner. Which is late and I knew
he must be bringing a package! I ran out and brought it in. Seeing
"Lazi" in the label I knew exactly what it was. I put it on the table
and stared at it while I finished my dinner. I wanted to open it right
away, but I knew it would deserve a proper ceremony with lots of picture
taking. So after dinner I scurried with my package down into the
basement lair.

I love getting packages from foreign lands, especially when they contain miniatures!

Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 3 Stamp

The package had a nice paper wrapper and I removed it carefully.

Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 3 Boxandwrapper

Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 3 Insidethebox

Inside the box was a little envelope with a letter. Under that was a story about how Mad Ox became the Trash Kan pilot. Below that were some photos of the Trash Kan and Lazi in front of Prague castle! Those pics really make this a special prize and I wish I had done something similar with my prisoner.

Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 3 Goodies1

Beneath all the cool extras was the real deal. Wrapped in foam, I found the the Trash Kan and grots! Grots everywhere!

Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 3 Trashkanandcrew1

It seems Mad Ox and the boyz had a bit of a rough trip across the Atlantic. But it isn't anything I can't set right. This is a really inspired model. So much detail worked into it. It is a great piece. Creatively built, well painted and just plain cool.

Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 3 Trashkanandcrew2

I'm going to build it a display base right away. I'll take more pics when it's all back together and I'll also be sending some pics back to Prague real soon.

Thanks Lazi! Great stuff here! I'm very pleased.
Back to top Go down
http://www.goblinminimart.com
Da Bank

Da Bank

PostSubject: Re: Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log   Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2012 7:51 pm

Congrats Skeller and freakin awesome work Lazi.

I am really enjoying the letters, postcards and cool things that everyone is doing.

I wish I had thought of that when I sent mine out (sorry demonicous).
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log   Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2012 8:39 pm

Amazing Model! I'm sorry it suffered some damage... but the trip was LITERALLY across the world. It seems that poor old Mad Ox fought his own Waaagh! against several Postal Services! On the other hand, very pleased that the damage is minor and can be fixed. Gretchins are my personal favorite... so this Prisoner always caught my eye. LOVE the details!!! Any chance you can post more pics after the fix?

The pictures and post-cards... man, I ALSO wished I had done something like that! Very cool Lazi...
Back to top Go down
Narcissus

Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log   Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2012 9:50 pm

The final model looks great. I like the bright colours. I'm sad the shipping dinged them up. So much character in the grots. Great job.

I thought about doing the pictures too. I really wanted to take one on the middle of a big bridge here but I was worried about dropping the prisoner into the ocean!
Back to top Go down
http://rustandthecity.blogspot.com/
Skeller

Skeller

PostSubject: Re: Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log   Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed May 23, 2012 10:24 pm

I got everything fixed right up, no trouble at all and you can't even tell.

Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 3 Trashkanandcrewfixed2

There is so much going on with this model/models. So much detail, Lazi you really out did yourself here. Every time I look at it I see something new. I tried to take some pics of the interior because it is awesome.

Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 3 Kan-interior2

Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 3 Kaninterior

There are tiny gubbinz and werky bits in there, and a screen with a squiggly wave form line!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.goblinminimart.com
Lazi

Lazi

PostSubject: Re: Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log   Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2012 2:45 am

Hey! I am glad it arrived and I am sorry for it being a little damaged - I guess I should have used more foam to make it NOT MOVING! But I am happy the damage was so easily fixed Smile There was some confusion in my local post office about this package, so maybe they were a little bit angry and did not handled it properly Smile Next time I won't go to send anything in the morning just before going to work Very Happy

I am glad you like the gubbins inside, they were my favourite Smile Well, right after the grots Very Happy Now I know why people love Orkz and Grotz so much Very Happy

I have some pics of it too, I'll upload them and post a link soon Smile

So what do you think, Skeller, are we in for the story competition? A tale of Mad Oz's heroics in combat would be really nice to read Smile I'll start a thread and post my part of the story, if you don't mind. I just didn't want to post it before the prisoner got to you.

Anyway - once again I am glad you like it and I hope you will win all games with it Wink And once again, sorry for the Red Hand not being painted. But you know, we have the saying about the blacksmiths horse who walks barefooted, so it's probably no a surprise that the painter is unpainted Very Happy
Back to top Go down
DeafNala

DeafNala

PostSubject: Re: Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log   Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2012 3:56 am

CONGRATULATIONS on receiving an INCREDIBLE CREATION! It looks like the piece recovered nicely from it's Postal Ordeal. GREAT WORK, Laney! Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
Gatlag Stonetooth

Gatlag Stonetooth

PostSubject: Re: Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log   Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2012 5:07 am

CongratZ on this awesome catch! Such a sweet model brings lots of happiness! Very Happy
Da Bank wrote:
I am really enjoying the letters, postcards and cool things that everyone is doing.

I wish I had thought of that when I sent mine out (sorry demonicous).
I like those postcard and pics also! Too bad I didn't think of it either... Sad
Back to top Go down
Da Bank

Da Bank

PostSubject: Re: Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log   Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2012 7:00 am

@Mord, Gatlag and All

Hey!

I say the next time we do a PE event that we Must (should, don't want to be too bossy or pushy) include pics of our native country, town, with maybe a postcard and etc.

The concept brings the whole process to a higher level and a level of friendship that transcends language, countries, and religion.

Sorry for my rant. Just still a little regret on doing something like that. Sad
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log   Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2012 7:21 am

It is a good idea... maybe a 'clever' suggestion on the rules? Wink
Back to top Go down
Gatlag Stonetooth

Gatlag Stonetooth

PostSubject: Re: Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log   Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2012 7:39 am

I like the idea as well! You could indeed put it as a suggestion
Back to top Go down
Lazi

Lazi

PostSubject: Re: Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log   Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2012 4:33 pm

My pictures of finished Kan can be found here:
Trash Kan Album
Back to top Go down
DeafNala

DeafNala

PostSubject: Re: Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log   Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2012 8:16 pm

The photos are TERRIFIC...love the Trash Can taking in the river view. VERY WELL DONE! Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log   Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu May 24, 2012 11:28 pm

Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 3 ZZ-KanPlusHrad

Go ahead and put all the pics... we want to see and we are lazy!!
[Select VIEW ALL, then SELECT ALL, then GENERATE CODE... select large pics... then post the code here!}
Back to top Go down
Lazi

Lazi

PostSubject: Re: Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log   Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun May 27, 2012 1:34 pm

Mordheimer wrote:
Go ahead and put all the pics... we want to see and we are lazy!!
[Select VIEW ALL, then SELECT ALL, then GENERATE CODE... select large pics... then post the code here!}

I know how to do it, but I was lazy too Wink

So some of pics coming now:
Trash-Kan, Mad Oz inside and Crash da Navigator on the top:
Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 3 Kan005
Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 3 Kan006
Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 3 Kan001
Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 3 Kan002
Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 3 Kan003
Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 3 Kan009
Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 3 Kan011
Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 3 Kan014

Red Hand - Da Painter
Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 3 Grot08

Shaky - Da Drill Masta
Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 3 Grot06
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log   Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun May 27, 2012 2:16 pm

Lazi being Lazy... Hmmmm...

LOVE THE PAINTER!!! I need to build me one like this!
Back to top Go down
Lazi

Lazi

PostSubject: Re: Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log   Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun May 27, 2012 2:21 pm

Mordheimer wrote:
Lazi being Lazy... Hmmmm...

LOVE THE PAINTER!!! I need to build me one like this!

I should have him copyrighted Just Kidding

But I am glad I inspired you Wink
Back to top Go down
mudboy

mudboy

PostSubject: Re: Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log   Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun May 27, 2012 3:02 pm

I've said it before and I'll say it again: That is a wicked pile of trash!
Back to top Go down
Da Bank

Da Bank

PostSubject: Re: Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log   Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun May 27, 2012 6:28 pm

Wow! I love seeing it again and again.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log   Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lazi's Prisoner Exchange Log
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3