The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

DeafNala's Prisoner Exchange Thread: Update 1/31/12

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
DeafNala

PostSubject: DeafNala's Prisoner Exchange Thread: Update 1/31/12   Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:31 am

Being a bit limited as to pieces for making the Beasty, I've opted for a flashy, if somewhat the worse for wear Renegade leaving his favorite drinking establishment, Morbid Jest's Tavern. Stealing a line from the Whiffenpoof Song, the pieces is called "To the tables down at Morbid's".

Here's what I've got so far:

The long view:

A bit closer views:

The Man:

There you go. I'll start painting the sucker in a little while. Updates to follow...if you're good. Suspect

Last edited by DeafNala on Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Lazi

PostSubject: Re: DeafNala's Prisoner Exchange Thread: Update 1/31/12   Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:58 am

That's lovely Smile I am always amazed with those giant faces you make everywhere Wink

And the man is a scary guy Smile Perfect mutated renegade sergeant.

I would like to ask you about the painting technique you use - I mean the basecoating in black&white. Is there any particular reason for it? And how do you do it (if it is not a secret Wink )?
Back to top Go down
Laney

PostSubject: Re: DeafNala's Prisoner Exchange Thread: Update 1/31/12   Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:39 pm

Really cool - this is going to be an amazing piece!

What's the base body of the prisoner?

Laney:D

skavenslayer

PostSubject: Re: DeafNala's Prisoner Exchange Thread: Update 1/31/12   Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:53 pm

Laney wrote:
What's the base body of the prisoner?

Laney:D

The body+legs er from the Free Company box (Warhammer Empire)
Left arm looks like a zombie arm..
Right arm is a Ork (you know this already I think)
The head does not look like somthing from GW, so I got no idea

Hope this help Very Happy

-Skavenslayer
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: DeafNala's Prisoner Exchange Thread: Update 1/31/12   Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:27 pm

This IS crazy! WOW! What I do know about Deaf's techniques... he primes black and drybrush grey, so he can see the details. The weird thing is that it looks like an AWESOME statue! If I could do that (the drybrushing) half as well as he can... I would have 'stone' statues for Fighters!

Deaf.... sorry.... 'imaginative' seems to be a pathetic adjective to describe the work so far. I'm also curious... where is the head from? VERY cool! Thanks for sharing!

Support Bacteria; it is the ONLY culture some people have!
Since I ask "What do you think?" to all Staff, I have included it here to save time.

DoZer Flamethrower Mordheimer Justice NEEDS to be Served! Maybe 3rd Degree burns will teach you not to Tom Sawyer me to work!

Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
DeafNala

PostSubject: Re: DeafNala's Prisoner Exchange Thread: Update 1/31/12   Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:51 pm

Thanks, Guys; glad you like it so far. What a Face
Skavenslayer got all the G.W. parts right. The head is from Lead Adventure Miniatures (part of their Forum)...they have or had two packs of V.S.F./Post Apocalypse heads @ 10 heads per pack.
The prime: The dry brush white over a thin black base coat has two purposes: it gives the dark shading of a black prime & the brighter highlights of a white prime; AND, as Mord said, it makes seeing the details easier on the Old Man's eyes.
Back to top Go down
Gatlag Stonetooth

PostSubject: Re: DeafNala's Prisoner Exchange Thread: Update 1/31/12   Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:00 pm

Argh! Shocked
Another sweet arse project!!
Looking so sweet already! Can't wait for updates! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
DeafNala

PostSubject: Re: DeafNala's Prisoner Exchange Thread: Update 1/31/12   Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:13 pm

Thanks, Gatlag; Im glad you like it. Hopefully by Monday I'll have some progress photos up...or not. What a Face
Back to top Go down
Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: DeafNala's Prisoner Exchange Thread: Update 1/31/12   Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:03 pm

Looks nice. I like the dash of style with the hat.

What is the back wall made out of? I ask because I have been thinking about using pink foam to build a background for my prisoner but I am concerned about the durability. YOu are using pink foam? How does it hold up on a display base like this?
Back to top Go down
http://rustandthecity.blogspot.com/
DeafNala

PostSubject: Re: DeafNala's Prisoner Exchange Thread: Update 1/31/12   Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:46 pm

Thanks, Narcissus. What a Face I planning to make him a pretty snappy dresser...for a mutant renegade that is. clown

I used two types of Pink Foam. the bottom piece (with the pipes sticking out) is 1"; over that is a section of 1/4" fan foam board; the wall is two layers of the 1/4" stuff with the back section going from the plastic (50mm square) base to the top of the wall.
I find the fan foam is pretty sturdy; some of them are two ply with the grain running perpendicular to each other like plywood. I had the single ply; so I did the back piece with the grain going left/right, & the wall going top to bottom for some extra strength.
I hope that that is understandable & of some help. I'll explain further if it is not.
Back to top Go down
dumdeedum

PostSubject: Re: DeafNala's Prisoner Exchange Thread: Update 1/31/12   Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:42 pm

That is looking pretty awesome, and so quick! The signing up deadline is like a month away and you seem to be most of the way finished Surprised

Looking forward to seeing it painted
Back to top Go down
Lazi

PostSubject: Re: DeafNala's Prisoner Exchange Thread: Update 1/31/12   Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:05 pm

Mordheimer wrote:
If I could do that (the drybrushing) half as well as he can... I would have 'stone' statues for Fighters!

I really know what you mean Wink I have the feeling I would end up with stony squad too Wink

DeafNala wrote:
The prime: The dry brush white over a thin black base coat has two purposes: it gives the dark shading of a black prime & the brighter highlights of a white prime; AND, as Mord said, it makes seeing the details easier on the Old Man's eyes.

Oh, I see. Very interesting. Maybe I'll try it someday Smile Thank you, for explaining.
Back to top Go down
DeafNala

PostSubject: Re: DeafNala's Prisoner Exchange Thread: Update 1/31/12   Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:18 am

Before I put up the latest TRULY MEDIOCRE photos, I must commend Mord on starting a new Prisoner Exchange. I've been mulling making usable/or no display models for Gos-knows-how-long mostly due to a lack of gaming possibilities. NOW I'm getting a reason to do just that, & the experience is both exhilarating & liberating. SO, thanks, Mord! clown

Now that that's said, other than the inevitable embellishments the base is done. AND HERE IT IS:

The log view:

The sides:

I'll keep Y'all posted as thing develop...probably. clown
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: DeafNala's Prisoner Exchange Thread: Update 1/31/12   Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:51 am

WOW! This is pretty cool! You are setting the bar VERY high for us (at least for me!) I manage to see (and learn) what you said about the crack mortar (exposing brick!)... NICE! Now I get it... less is more. I love the color of the building... so many shades.

If I may make a slight observation... the name of the bar. Are you planing to do something else to the lettering? It seems a little hard to read (black on that brown/maroon wall)... Are you planing to trace the border with a light color or something?

You DO work very fast... I guess that is what happens when you like the project you are working on! The nice thing is that your piece looks great as a 'show-piece' but will be functional too... some lucky fellow may take this Prisoner into battle.

THANKS FOR SHARING! Wow... so cool!

Since I ask "What do you think?" to all Staff, I have included it here to save time.

DoZer Flamethrower Mordheimer Justice NEEDS to be Served! Maybe 3rd Degree burns will teach you not to Tom Sawyer me to work!

Back to top Go down
mudboy

PostSubject: Re: DeafNala's Prisoner Exchange Thread: Update 1/31/12   Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:26 pm

Wow! That didn't take long. Now I'm getting even more stressed!

Great job so far Very Happy Someone will be a happy little gamer when they open their package.
Back to top Go down
Gatlag Stonetooth

PostSubject: Re: DeafNala's Prisoner Exchange Thread: Update 1/31/12   Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:46 pm

Love the paintwork on that wall! You have chosen just the right color for it!
And those exposed bricks make it plain awesome!
Back to top Go down
Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: DeafNala's Prisoner Exchange Thread: Update 1/31/12   Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:59 pm

Looking good! I have only taken a 60mm base out of the packaging and you have already almost finished your piece! The orange wall looks very striking and the faces are as creepy as ever!
Back to top Go down
http://rustandthecity.blogspot.com/
DeafNala

PostSubject: Re: DeafNala's Prisoner Exchange Thread: Update 1/31/12   Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:28 pm

Thanks for taking the time for such kind commentary...when you should be working on your P.E. Thingies. I'm glad you all like it.

Mord, I wanted the sign to be a little faded, although it does look slightly less noticeable in the photo. If I go for a bright paint scheme on the mini (my track record says I will) I'll probably do a white lining on the letters.

On the matter of speed: I'm not really a fast painter. However, when you do commission work you've either got to be quick or tenacious...tenacity is my thing. I'm one of those Guys who can sit down with a mini or whatever, & keep working on it until my eyes get weary 12-16 hours later...it's a form of insanity I developed doing factory work in my school days. clown
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: DeafNala's Prisoner Exchange Thread: Update 1/31/12   Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:41 pm

Cool beans! I knew you had some nice ideas for those letters. I wish I could think the matters ahead. I will try to envision my Prisoner the way you do.

Narcissus wrote:
Looking good! I have only taken a 60mm base out of the packaging and you have already almost finished your piece!
HA! I feel the same... panic all over! I had to take some parts to 'cheat' and speed up my stuff! Just Kidding

Back to top Go down
DeafNala

PostSubject: Re: DeafNala's Prisoner Exchange Thread: Update 1/31/12   Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:31 pm

SO while I'll probably play around with the base a bit, the Beasty is DONE. Here are a few photos of TRULY ASTOUNDING MEDIOCRITY:

The Man:

...with the base:

Now then, if I get really bored waiting for the rest of you to catch up, I could work on an alternate piece SO there would be some doubt as to which one you might be getting. There's something that has been lurking in the shadows waiting some attention:

clown
Back to top Go down
Lazi

PostSubject: Re: DeafNala's Prisoner Exchange Thread: Update 1/31/12   Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:21 pm

The GUY looks great Smile Maybe a bit to bright and "happy" for my taste, but great still. I have to say that the whole mini definitely offers totally different look on the chaos and his servants - not all that grim and dark and slimey things. And that's what I like about it.

The contraption is awesome Wink I particulary like the scisors. Ad also the fact it's made from BARRELS Smile Are these going to be wooden? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: DeafNala's Prisoner Exchange Thread: Update 1/31/12   Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:35 pm

I saw this and I uttered... "MY GOD... ALAN WENT CRAZY!" HAHAH!

The Renegade looks fantastic. I like the 'orange' tint... is very different. He has style (and the top hat... WOW!)

Then you made a Trash-Kan... out of wood?!?! AND SCISSORS!?!?!HAHAHA! Lunacy... PERFECT!

Back to top Go down
Gatlag Stonetooth

PostSubject: Re: DeafNala's Prisoner Exchange Thread: Update 1/31/12   Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:18 am

Looking cool! I'm not to sure about the color of the gun though. Perhaps it would be better if you gave if a more contrasting color?

That wooden Trash-kan is very awesome! Real steampunk material! Cool
Back to top Go down
DeafNala

PostSubject: Re: DeafNala's Prisoner Exchange Thread: Update 1/31/12   Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:43 am

Thanks for taking the time to leave your kind commentaries, Guys...it is appreciated. What a Face

While I'm not thrilled with the photos, I am rather pleased with the overall effect. The Gun was done in the same manner as the ones I did for my Orks...just in case it heads Mord's way.
I made the Killer/Trash Can a few years ago when I looked briefly like I'd be getting into 40K; that didn't work out...so it's been hanging out waiting for some paint. It's mostly a wooden barrel with wooden shapes form Michaels, some sheet plastic, & odd bits of junk....appropriate. If I do it up there's be some Goblins infesting the Beasty. clown
Back to top Go down
Laney

PostSubject: Re: DeafNala's Prisoner Exchange Thread: Update 1/31/12   Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:05 am

That is one cool model - superbly quirky!

The trash kan is just showing off though Deaf!Just Kidding (He reminds me of a Wllace and Gromit type creation - like the Wrong Trousers)... That is a compliment by the way.

Cheers Laney

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DeafNala's Prisoner Exchange Thread: Update 1/31/12   Today at 10:14 am

Back to top Go down

DeafNala's Prisoner Exchange Thread: Update 1/31/12
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next