Death Squads Game Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Stonetooth's log

Go down 
+9
sultansean
Kiwi
mudboy
Mordheimer
Laney
Arachas
Da Bank
Lazi
Gatlag Stonetooth
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Gatlag Stonetooth

Gatlag Stonetooth

Stonetooth's log Empty
PostSubject: Stonetooth's log   Stonetooth's log I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2012 5:06 pm

So this weekend I finally kicked off my PE project physically, I already spent quite some time thinking about a nice project. When subscribing to this years event I first thought about making a big ole ass orc or something like that. But I thought it would be nicer to make it "tailor-made" for my recipient so I waited with the kick off until I knew who it was. And a good thing it was, because as soon as I knew who it was for my brain started to poop out all kind of prisoner project ideas! Smile

I finally made up my mind: I'm going to build a hired gun! Cool
Any squad could use a hired gun, so it's an ideal project imho.

My first step is, as always, browse through my bitz and boxes to gather the best parts for the project:

Stonetooth's log Pe2012-01

After the gathering it was time to cut, saw, drill and glue the parts together into the desired model. Which was a hard thing to do with my 1,5 year old toddler running around and stealing my gear the whole time! Just Kidding
So I couldn't do as much as I wanted but I'm pretty happy with the result so far:

Stonetooth's log Pe2012-02

Next up is more glueing, filing and greenstuffing. Hope to post an update soon!
Back to top Go down
Lazi

Lazi

Stonetooth's log Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stonetooth's log   Stonetooth's log I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2012 5:15 pm

That really nice start. Is that Man-At-Arms body? Nice use of it. Now I will have to fight the urge to buy some and start converting some IG men Very Happy

I am really looking forward to see the progress. Are you planning some diorama with the prisoner?
Back to top Go down
Gatlag Stonetooth

Gatlag Stonetooth

Stonetooth's log Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stonetooth's log   Stonetooth's log I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2012 5:20 pm

Thanks! Yeah spot on! It's a man-at-arms torso which I cut off the legs and attached it to kneeling IG legs. I'm indeed planning a small diorama for this guy. Smile
Back to top Go down
Da Bank

Da Bank

Stonetooth's log Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stonetooth's log   Stonetooth's log I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2012 11:45 pm

Wow! Looking good already.
Back to top Go down
Gatlag Stonetooth

Gatlag Stonetooth

Stonetooth's log Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stonetooth's log   Stonetooth's log I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2012 4:16 am

Thanks Da Bank!
I forgot to mention in my opening post what my "challenges" for this project are. First I'm going to try out a lighter color palet for the main character than I use to do, so expect white or something like that. And second I'm going to try out a snow base. I've tons of snow material but never used it on a mini or project before so I'm planning to do it on this one. Smile
Back to top Go down
Arachas

Arachas

Stonetooth's log Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stonetooth's log   Stonetooth's log I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2012 1:06 pm

I hope you got me or Prius: cheap postage. Wink
Back to top Go down
Gatlag Stonetooth

Gatlag Stonetooth

Stonetooth's log Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stonetooth's log   Stonetooth's log I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2012 5:25 pm

Haha, who knows Arachas? Very Happy

I was lucky tonight: I had some time to spare! Smile
Just enough to put the rest of the model together and do some gs gapfilling.

Stonetooth's log Pe2012-03

Next up: more detailing the gs and the model.
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

Stonetooth's log Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stonetooth's log   Stonetooth's log I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2012 6:57 pm

A cool looking bit of conversion there. Loving what you've done with the gorget and the head (pretty sinister).

Where is the bolter from?

Laney:D
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

Stonetooth's log Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stonetooth's log   Stonetooth's log I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2012 8:08 pm

GESUSSSS!!!! That's a ton of bitz! What is your plan for your Prisoner? So far, he is looking very cool. Reminds me of Shocker...

Stonetooth's log SHOCKER%20FIGURINE
Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
Arachas

Arachas

Stonetooth's log Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stonetooth's log   Stonetooth's log I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 4:03 am

"And you must be... Quilt-man! ... Padded Pete! ... no wait, I got it: THE CUSHION!"

Spider-Man Wink
Back to top Go down
Gatlag Stonetooth

Gatlag Stonetooth

Stonetooth's log Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stonetooth's log   Stonetooth's log I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 5:03 am

LOL@Arachas! For years I have collected Spidey comics, until they said he was a clone. That was the last straw that broke the camel’s back. ("den laatste druppel" as we say Wink)

@Laney: thanks! I was indeed aiming for a "sinister" effect, as this guy's a hunter so one should be very nervous when he's after you!
I'm not really sure where the bolter is from as I found it already cut off in my bitz box. I guess it was part of an old project I had in mind. But I think it's from the Emperor's Champion which can be seen in the second pic as he's missing his left hand. Wink

@Mord: gracias! He looks indeed a bit like Shocker now you say it. Smile My plan is to pose this guy like he's in middle of tracking a (wounded) prey.
Back to top Go down
mudboy

mudboy

Stonetooth's log Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stonetooth's log   Stonetooth's log I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 10:07 am

Very cool conversion. Where's the bottom part of his head/collar from? Men at arms?
Back to top Go down
Lazi

Lazi

Stonetooth's log Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stonetooth's log   Stonetooth's log I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 02, 2012 1:30 pm

That's very nice conversion - this guy looks really intimidating. There is something weird, however. It seems to me the head and gorget are too high* together. I mean - if you put a normal head next to it, you'll probably find out that right now the guy has too long neck. It just making it disproportional. Maybe cutting down the gorget a little might fix it.
But still it's amazing kitbash work Smile Really creative Wink

* high as a dimension, not drugged Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Gatlag Stonetooth

Gatlag Stonetooth

Stonetooth's log Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stonetooth's log   Stonetooth's log I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 12:10 pm

@mudboy: thanks! yeah that's also from the men-at-arms box. It's an usefull box with lots of conversion bitz in it.

Lazi wrote:
That's very nice conversion - this guy looks really
intimidating. There is something weird, however. It seems to me the head
and gorget are too high* together. I mean - if you put a normal head
next to it, you'll probably find out that right now the guy has too long
neck. It just making it disproportional. Maybe cutting down the gorget a
little might fix it.
But still it's amazing kitbash work Smile Really creative Wink

* high as a dimension, not drugged Very Happy
Thanks, I know what you mean and I guess that was the thing that was bothering me also about this model but I couldn't come up with what it really was. So now I took of the head a filed it down even more and hollowed the gorget with my pin vice:

Stonetooth's log Pe2012-04

I put a normal head next to it as comparison material. Very Happy
Thanks for the critics! It looks much beter now I think, what do you think?
Back to top Go down
Lazi

Lazi

Stonetooth's log Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stonetooth's log   Stonetooth's log I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 12:33 pm

Yeah, I think it does look better. Personally I would get bolder and file it a little bit more (but I am not sure if it would be for the best of the model Very Happy ). Anyway its really cool. Are you planning to add some battle damage to the helmet? I think it calls for it Smile

What hired gun is he supposed to be? I guess assassin, right? What sort of weapons are you planning for him (except the bolter)?
Back to top Go down
Kiwi

Kiwi

Stonetooth's log Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stonetooth's log   Stonetooth's log I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 03, 2012 11:41 pm

Shocked Wow that's a lot of sprues!
Looking great so far, very sinister looking.
Back to top Go down
Gatlag Stonetooth

Gatlag Stonetooth

Stonetooth's log Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stonetooth's log   Stonetooth's log I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 4:34 pm

Last few weeks were quite hectic: I have moved over to my mother-in-law's house because she's on a 3-month holiday/camper trip. The house is a lot bigger than my apartment and it has a garden so it was a pretty good deal! But it took quite some time before everything (or at least the most things) was moved over. And of course my hobby needs were moved last...
Then after all was settled and done I got sick for almost a whole week! Darn! That was some time ago that I have been that sick...blegh! Stonetooth's log 912294
But enough complaining, that's not why you're reading this plog I guess. Smile

Today I found time to get back on the project and decided to some work on the base/scenery. First I did some sculpting:

Stonetooth's log Pe2012-05

I tried to make the brickwork look like the rickety style that's used for the GW Fantasy buildings as I like that style very much.

Then I started on the base itself, I wanted to make the prisoner useable in normal games so a big base wouldn't be handy. So I cut out the size of a normal base from a 60mm. That way it can be taken out of the scenery and use for play. I must admit that it was a lot harder to cut out a nice circle in the larger base, but since that was the only one I have here at hand (should have more at my own house) I'll have to do with it and will try to fix it up later on. Smile

Stonetooth's log Pe2012-06

That was it for now, but I hope to be back soon with a new update because it feels good to be busy with the hobby again! Smile
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

Stonetooth's log Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stonetooth's log   Stonetooth's log I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 18, 2012 10:23 pm

Good job on those bricks... awesome! When you have time, a tutorial would be nice. I would like to learn how to do that.
Back to top Go down
sultansean

sultansean

Stonetooth's log Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stonetooth's log   Stonetooth's log I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 12:43 pm

Those bricks look great.
Back to top Go down
Gatlag Stonetooth

Gatlag Stonetooth

Stonetooth's log Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stonetooth's log   Stonetooth's log I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 19, 2012 5:55 pm

Thanks guys!
The bricks aren't really that hard to do, think anyone with some sculpt tools can do it. But I will try to make a small tutorial on it after I finish the project. Smile
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

Stonetooth's log Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stonetooth's log   Stonetooth's log I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 20, 2012 7:20 am

Gatlag... with all due respect, you just sounded like DeafNala and his weird tree-faces! Remember that? Check on his table thread... and enjoy his 'magical' explanation... hahaha!

When you can explain it... share the details! Just Kidding
Back to top Go down
Gatlag Stonetooth

Gatlag Stonetooth

Stonetooth's log Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stonetooth's log   Stonetooth's log I_icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 11:05 am

Finally I've got internet on my home pc again! Very Happy
As said earlier, I'm staying at my mother-in-law's house and since a week or so the internet here wasn't working. Wednesday is my day off so I had some time to see what's the problem. I haven't really found out what it was, but after some helpdesk calling, unplugging the whole shizz, resetting etc it works again! Warning for the Dutchies here: don't take "Online" as your provider!!! It's utter crap!
Thanks for listening to my rant. Smile Back on topic now: although I couldn't update my log every now and then I did took some pics during the progress so here's a brief overview:

Stonetooth's log Pe2012-07
Building
1) adding some pavement to the base
2) testfitting the bountyhunter so he touches the plinth
3) basing the none paved part of the base with some sand.
4) the complete statue of the emperor's champion

Stonetooth's log Pe2012-08
Painting
As said I wanted to try out a lighter colorscheme than I usually tend to use and I must say I'm pretty happy with the result. Think I will use it more often from now on. The statue is copper/bronze with some weathering and verdigris effects.

Stonetooth's log Pe2012-09
The finished piece!
The story in short: the bountyhunter is tracking his prey/bounty after they had an earlier gunfight. Too bad for the prey he's leaking blood, so it's an even more easier for the hunter to track him down in the melting snow...

We all like pics, so here are some more views from the complete piece:
Stonetooth's log Pe2012-10

Stonetooth's log Pe2012-11

Hope you all like it and especially my recipient!

I dropped it off at the post office yesterday because this monday was Queensday and then they were closed.
Back to top Go down
Narcissus

Narcissus

Stonetooth's log Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stonetooth's log   Stonetooth's log I_icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 12:13 pm

Very nice! I really like the statue and how you have seamlessly inset the model into the display base. I can't even see where the seam between the two bases is. At first I thought this model was going to be a chaos worshipper kneeling infront of a statue. The bounty hunter tracking is very cool and subtle.

Queensday...caused me issues. I stopped through Amsterdam for two days on my way home and hostel prices were astronomical. And I left the day before Queensday.
Back to top Go down
http://rustandthecity.blogspot.com/
Da Bank

Da Bank

Stonetooth's log Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stonetooth's log   Stonetooth's log I_icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 1:49 pm

This is a wonderful piece. Clap, clap, clap.....maybe it is coming my way. Shocked
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

Stonetooth's log Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stonetooth's log   Stonetooth's log I_icon_minitimeWed May 02, 2012 5:10 pm

This is a GORGEOUS!!! OMG!!! You need to make a tutorial on making the statue! The pose is SUPERB! Hiding behind the statue... PRICELESS!

Excellent work man!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Stonetooth's log Empty
PostSubject: Re: Stonetooth's log   Stonetooth's log I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Stonetooth's log
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Death Squads Game Forums :: Death Squads - Community :: Prisoner Exchange 2012-
Jump to: