Death Squads Game Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Death Guard Stomach Sculpting Tutorial

Go down 
+3
Mordheimer
Komfritten
Narcissus
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Narcissus

Narcissus

Death Guard Stomach Sculpting Tutorial Empty
PostSubject: Re: Death Guard Stomach Sculpting Tutorial   Death Guard Stomach Sculpting Tutorial I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 6:01 pm

Death Guard Stomach Sculpting Tutorial IMG_0994

This tutorial will explain step by step how I sculpt bloated nurgle stomach armour to match the Forge World Death Guard models. The Forge World models are great, but there are only ten poses and I like converting models. Therefore, I have been trying to sculpt my own stomachs to match the asthetic of the existing models and add some character and variety. I will add more parts on how I add rivets and make the metal tabards in another post.

Materials
You will need greenstuff (or another similar product), thin plasticard rod (for rivets), a model, lubricant (I use chapstick) and sculpting tools (for this model I used the GW sculpting tool, a chisel colour shaper, and a pointy rubber tip).

Death Guard Stomach Sculpting Tutorial IMG_0409
I used the colour shaper on the left, red tool in the middle, and the tool on the far right.

Procedure

Death Guard Stomach Sculpting Tutorial IMG_0957
Step 1: Add a blob of greenstuff approximately the same size and volume as the resin Death Guard's belly to a model (it is easier to do with the arms unattached).

Death Guard Stomach Sculpting Tutorial IMG_0960
Step 2: Using some chapstick (a tiny bit) and the metal tool, start creating the basic shape by gently stretching the edges outwards to match the shape of the Forge World model. Compare to original.

Death Guard Stomach Sculpting Tutorial IMG_0964
Step 3: Continue until you are happy with the shape and then smooth the greenstuff by gently brushing it with the colour shaper and lubricant until you get a perfectly smooth finish. (To this point it took me about 5-10 minutes, if you are adding a boltgun and just want the shape, you could stop here)

Death Guard Stomach Sculpting Tutorial IMG_0968
Step 4: Use the tool of you choice to create a thin line about 1mm from the edge of the sides. Don't press hard, just draw a thin line. Then use a flat tool to gently smooth in both directions around the line (ex. smooth from the line to the margin and from the line to the center).

Death Guard Stomach Sculpting Tutorial IMG_0973
Step 5: Add damage. Now we get to be creative and add damage and detail. I started by poking some holes using the rubber tipped dental pick.

Death Guard Stomach Sculpting Tutorial IMG_0976
Step 6: Make the hole deeper. Add cracks around the edges. Add detail inside. Use a sharp tool to carefully make the edges pull outwards. Be careful during this step that you do not change the shape of the belly too much.

Death Guard Stomach Sculpting Tutorial IMG_0979
Step 7: Add details like intestines, cables, holes, cracks, tentacles, etc. Be creative! Have fun! This is a hobby. Go crazy!

Death Guard Stomach Sculpting Tutorial IMG_0984
Step 8: Cut some small pieces off of a thin piece of plasticard rod. You will need 8-10 little pieces. Each should be about 1mm long (smaller is better).

Death Guard Stomach Sculpting Tutorial IMG_0988
Step 9: Pick up each rivet using the tip of a hobby knife. Carefully push it a tiny bit into the greenstuff. You have a rivet. Repeat at regular intervals around the edge of your belly.

Death Guard Stomach Sculpting Tutorial IMG_0991
Step 9: Leave your model undisturbed to cure for a few hours. Here you can see a comparison between a few other work in progress models and the original Death Guard model.

Here are a few more examples using the same technique:

Death Guard Stomach Sculpting Tutorial IMG_0909

Death Guard Stomach Sculpting Tutorial IMG_0855

Death Guard Stomach Sculpting Tutorial IMG_0834

That's all there is to it. I will add some more tutorials on how to add fungus infections to your models, how to add rivets to hard surfaces, and how to make plasticard armour in the future. Please post links if you try these techniques yourself and I will include your pictures in the blog. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
http://rustandthecity.blogspot.com/
Komfritten

Komfritten

PostSubject: Death Guard Stomach Sculpting Tutorial   Death Guard Stomach Sculpting Tutorial I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 7:01 pm

You make it look easy... I dont like that... (I do, but I dont... )
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Death Guard Stomach Sculpting Tutorial   Death Guard Stomach Sculpting Tutorial I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2012 7:26 am

INSPIRATIONAL! I need to re-read it carefully.

You mentioned things I never heard before... like... LUBRICANT? I though water was the only thing we needed. Can you please elaborate on what is it? How much to use? Thanks!
Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
Gatlag Stonetooth

Gatlag Stonetooth

PostSubject: Re: Death Guard Stomach Sculpting Tutorial   Death Guard Stomach Sculpting Tutorial I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2012 8:08 am

Great tutorial!
Very well explained so it really looks easy to do, too bad I'm reading this at work because I'd like to try it out right away! Smile
Back to top Go down
Narcissus

Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: Death Guard Stomach Sculpting Tutorial   Death Guard Stomach Sculpting Tutorial I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2012 1:12 pm

Thanks guys.

Mordheimer-I used chapstick for lube. I just get a tiny bit on the tip of my tool and then it moves much better over the greenstuff. I used spit for a long time but the chapstick makes it much easier to smooth the surface.

Gatlag-post your results if you try it. The biggest key, in my opinion, is to carefully make sure the shape is "correct" so you create the overall illusion.
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Death Guard Stomach Sculpting Tutorial   Death Guard Stomach Sculpting Tutorial I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2012 1:50 pm

Really useful tutorial - thanks Narcissus!

Laney:D
Back to top Go down
Lazi

Lazi

PostSubject: Re: Death Guard Stomach Sculpting Tutorial   Death Guard Stomach Sculpting Tutorial I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2012 2:55 pm

Amazing!!! And inspirational and really useful!

Can I have a few questions about the tools?
Is there any difference between color shaper and clay shaper? They look teh same but there are two names for it. Recently I got myself a clayshaper (because my friend boght it and said it really good tool for sculpting, so I could not resist). But I have only 0-size flat chisel and I am curious about the other shapes and types.

And as for the rubber tip on the dentist pick.. Where can you get such a thing? I see how useful it can be (as my needle usually gets stuck to the GS which drives me crazy Very Happy )...
Back to top Go down
Gatlag Stonetooth

Gatlag Stonetooth

PostSubject: Re: Death Guard Stomach Sculpting Tutorial   Death Guard Stomach Sculpting Tutorial I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2012 3:06 pm

Narcissus wrote:
Gatlag-post your results if you try it. The biggest key, in my opinion, is to carefully make sure the shape is "correct" so you create the overall illusion.
If I do I certainly will, but time is lacking me... Sad
Let me first finish my PE project. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Narcissus

Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: Death Guard Stomach Sculpting Tutorial   Death Guard Stomach Sculpting Tutorial I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2012 4:59 pm

Laney-Thanks!

Lazi-Clay shapers and colour shapers are the same as far as I know. I used a size 0 or 1 flat chisel to make these. A pin would work just as well as the dental pick. Just lubricate it with some vaseline or chapstick to stop it from sticking. I got the dental picks from a pharmacy (drug store) in the dental section. There is nothing special about it (except the stuff doesn't stick to it). Any point object would work.

Gatlag-No pressure! Post it when you get the chance. I am just interested to see others' efforts using the same method.
Back to top Go down
Dysturbed

Dysturbed

PostSubject: Re: Death Guard Stomach Sculpting Tutorial   Death Guard Stomach Sculpting Tutorial I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2012 7:50 pm

Death Guard Stomach Sculpting Tutorial Vaseline-petroleum-jelly-7.5oz-1_2

Did someone say lubrication?

I dunno why but i couldn't help posting this HUGE picture of petro jelly. I have heard of people using it for this.
and you can use the rest for something else be creative.
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Death Guard Stomach Sculpting Tutorial   Death Guard Stomach Sculpting Tutorial I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 15, 2012 7:59 pm

heheh... Dysturbed, honoring his name since May, 2010. (But terrifying the planet since Halloween 1980!)
Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Death Guard Stomach Sculpting Tutorial   Death Guard Stomach Sculpting Tutorial I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1