Death Squads Game Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A new new IG Squad: Imperial Navy Armsmen

Go down 
+5
Mordheimer
Da Bank
mudboy
Matt12z
Laney
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Da Bank

Da Bank

A new new IG Squad: Imperial Navy Armsmen - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: A new new IG Squad: Imperial Navy Armsmen   A new new IG Squad: Imperial Navy Armsmen - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 08, 2012 9:47 am

Now I want a "bush" hat. Shocked
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: A new new IG Squad: Imperial Navy Armsmen   A new new IG Squad: Imperial Navy Armsmen - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 3:27 am

I've been thinking about planning a converted Eversor Assassin for some time now and here is the WIP shot (lots of GS work needed to tidy him up - neck, thighs, lower back, pistol and neuro gauntlet (the counts as lightning claw bit) all need some tidying up.

A new new IG Squad: Imperial Navy Armsmen - Page 2 P1000329

A new new IG Squad: Imperial Navy Armsmen - Page 2 P1000330

A new new IG Squad: Imperial Navy Armsmen - Page 2 P1000331

A new new IG Squad: Imperial Navy Armsmen - Page 2 P1000332

What do you think?

Laney
Back to top Go down
Narcissus

Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: A new new IG Squad: Imperial Navy Armsmen   A new new IG Squad: Imperial Navy Armsmen - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 4:45 am

Assassin looks good. I know that you want constructive feedback on how to make him the best though. These are just my opinion. You are an expert modeller.

I have seen skull helmets before and I always think they look a little odd. My solution would be to give him a nice little hood over the helmet and below the shoulder guards. This will balance out the large head (which doesn't fit as a skull mask). It will also add some assassin mystique. Alternatively, converting a necron head would also more closely fit the human proportions.

The other thing is a common catachan issue. The arms look huge! I think you could balance them out by sculpting some nice ribbed shoulder pads over them. Something similar to the shoulder guards on DKoK and FW Chaos Militia models. You would lose the resin shoulder details but enhance the bulk of the model.

It would also look awesome to have some small wires coming out of the hands, going to the arm. Like it is partly robotic or something. You could greenstuff flesh plugs into the hand where the wires insert.

All just my opinion. It will look good as is, especially painted up. I just worry that as is the head looks a little large compared to the shoulder width. Hope this helps, and not annoys. I hope you were looking for constructive criticism! The body shape has a really nice commando look and the accessories are great. I can't wait to see the model finished.
Back to top Go down
http://rustandthecity.blogspot.com/
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: A new new IG Squad: Imperial Navy Armsmen   A new new IG Squad: Imperial Navy Armsmen - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 5:26 am

That's brilliant Narcissus - criticism that improves what I do is always welcome.

I was planning to GS/plasticard, the hand to make it more robotic. A hood would be cool - but it might need a cloak (not sure that would fit well with the backpack. Shoulderguards on the model would work well - I think the catachan arms emphasise a character pumped up on frenzon. Small plugs on the helmet might work. EDIT: I'm also going to GS the eyesockets, so that they look more like lenses on the helmet.

Cheers Laney
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: A new new IG Squad: Imperial Navy Armsmen   A new new IG Squad: Imperial Navy Armsmen - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 10:50 am

I can't wait to see this model after the GS treatment. If I had bits, I could build something like this... and always have the feeling is not 'good enough' or that 'something is weird'... now I understand! Proportions! So I'm looking forward to see how the big boys fix their toys... learn something!

THANKS FOR SHARING!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: A new new IG Squad: Imperial Navy Armsmen   A new new IG Squad: Imperial Navy Armsmen - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 4:52 pm

No pressure then Mord!Just Kidding

Mordheimer Edit: Last pic previous changes for easy comparrison.
A new new IG Squad: Imperial Navy Armsmen - Page 2 P1000332

Here's the finished Eversor (or Assassin Hired Gun if you prefer). With an unprimed photo to show what I did...

A new new IG Squad: Imperial Navy Armsmen - Page 2 P1000333

A new new IG Squad: Imperial Navy Armsmen - Page 2 P1000334

A new new IG Squad: Imperial Navy Armsmen - Page 2 P1000335

A new new IG Squad: Imperial Navy Armsmen - Page 2 P1000336

A new new IG Squad: Imperial Navy Armsmen - Page 2 P1000337

A new new IG Squad: Imperial Navy Armsmen - Page 2 P1000338

I bulked out the shoulders and had another look at the GW version to try to get the same basic elements in there. The advice from Narcissus was superb (the hood is going on the next one though!).

Next up is Inquisitor Valeria from the GK Codex - Ordo Xenos with lots of cool toys!

Cheers Laney

Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: A new new IG Squad: Imperial Navy Armsmen   A new new IG Squad: Imperial Navy Armsmen - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 5:01 pm

WOW! What a difference... and ALL of it GREAT! I hope you did not mind that I added the pics pre-sculpt. It was hard for me to visualize... now I can see. THIS IS AMAZING!!!

Laney wrote:
Next up is Inquisitor Valeria from the GK Codex - Ordo Xenos with lots of cool toys!
Can I ask you a personal favor? Can you start a thread for this? My daughter's name is Valeria... she will get a kick out of the model. Just Kidding

Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: A new new IG Squad: Imperial Navy Armsmen   A new new IG Squad: Imperial Navy Armsmen - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 5:08 pm

No problem Mord - I've got to do really well now!

Laney:D
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: A new new IG Squad: Imperial Navy Armsmen   A new new IG Squad: Imperial Navy Armsmen - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 6:27 pm

Well... you are an inspiration! I just came down to get the camera! I have stuff to show. Not as good as yours (NEVER!) but it coming out pretty nice.

QUESTION! How you plan to paint (color-scheme) the Navy Armsmen?
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: A new new IG Squad: Imperial Navy Armsmen   A new new IG Squad: Imperial Navy Armsmen - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat May 12, 2012 6:50 pm

I'm looking forward to seeing your progress!

Dark Blue to black (no camo pattern - instead a night camo look), and a dark red beret - so quite simple really.

Valeria is about half built - I'll post the pre-GS version in a new thread. She's mainly dark eldar wytch parts with plenty of inquisitor bits thrown around.

Cheers Laney:D
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: A new new IG Squad: Imperial Navy Armsmen   A new new IG Squad: Imperial Navy Armsmen - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2012 8:54 am

I changed my mind on the camo for the armsmen and went with a green camo pattern and maroon beret/insignia. I'm quite pleased with how it went and the difference between it and the Varangian (brown/tan) and Allansian (autumnal) schemes...

The first five squad members WIP...

A new new IG Squad: Imperial Navy Armsmen - Page 2 P1000348

A new new IG Squad: Imperial Navy Armsmen - Page 2 P1000349

A new new IG Squad: Imperial Navy Armsmen - Page 2 P1000350

I've also started on the assassin...

A new new IG Squad: Imperial Navy Armsmen - Page 2 P1000351

A new new IG Squad: Imperial Navy Armsmen - Page 2 P1000352

Cheers Laney
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: A new new IG Squad: Imperial Navy Armsmen   A new new IG Squad: Imperial Navy Armsmen - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2012 11:30 am

WOW! Thanks for the WiP pics... the camo is 'simplistic' but AMAZING! How you come with the ideas? Fits them all very well, even if they look like zombies (grey skin). The Assassin... by The Emperor's Depends (LINK)... this will be an awesome model!
Back to top Go down
Da Bank

Da Bank

PostSubject: Re: A new new IG Squad: Imperial Navy Armsmen   A new new IG Squad: Imperial Navy Armsmen - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2012 12:03 pm

Laney

The Armsmen are a masterpiece!

Would you do any commission work?
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: A new new IG Squad: Imperial Navy Armsmen   A new new IG Squad: Imperial Navy Armsmen - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2012 1:09 pm

@Mord: The skin is done now (no more zombies!). The camo was just a mix of different GW greens, based very loosely on an old military toy I found in my parents loft (Z Force Action Figure). The recipe is really simple - but is a mix of old (they all have equivalents but I haven't bought them yet) and new citadel paints...

1. Base Coat: (New) Deathworld Forest (really smooth coat - in one)
  2. Wash: (New) Athonian Camoshade (great tone, but a touch too shiny - I like matt models)
  3. Camo Splodge 1: Catachan Green
  4. Camo Splodge 2: (New) Ogryn Camo (similar to rotting flesh)
  5. Camo 'Slashes': Goblin Green
  6. Wash: Thinned Devlan Mud
  7. Highlight (Not Done Yet): Deathworld Forest again (after two washes this works well as a camo highlight)

@Da Bank: I was quite intrigued last time you mentioned it. Only person I've ever done anything like that for is Mord (with the tricky Albino - trying to get that skin right was hard). I have no idea how it would work - but if you tell me what you had in mind, I'd certainly consider it (I'm assuming you are thinking of some sort of squad?).

Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: A new new IG Squad: Imperial Navy Armsmen   A new new IG Squad: Imperial Navy Armsmen - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2012 5:44 pm

A quick update...

A new new IG Squad: Imperial Navy Armsmen - Page 2 P1000353

A new new IG Squad: Imperial Navy Armsmen - Page 2 P1000354

Laney
Back to top Go down
Da Bank

Da Bank

PostSubject: Re: A new new IG Squad: Imperial Navy Armsmen   A new new IG Squad: Imperial Navy Armsmen - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2012 5:59 pm

Laney: Yes, Sir, a squad type. Maybe 10 guys. I will PM you.
Back to top Go down
Devo88

Devo88

PostSubject: Re: A new new IG Squad: Imperial Navy Armsmen   A new new IG Squad: Imperial Navy Armsmen - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2012 9:06 pm

OH geeeze what have you done!!! KHAAAAAAAAN!!!!!!!! They look FANTASTIC!
Back to top Go down
Narcissus

Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: A new new IG Squad: Imperial Navy Armsmen   A new new IG Squad: Imperial Navy Armsmen - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2012 10:16 pm

Looking good. I missed some of the updates. I really like the plated armour you did on the assassin. I like how you flattened the inside of the eye sockets too. It is looking really good. The detail added to the hand is great.

I really like your colour scheme. The camo is looking nice. The berets and spot colour really will make the models pop. This squad should look really nice all together. I am impressed with the speed you are producing these. Keep up the good work!
Back to top Go down
http://rustandthecity.blogspot.com/
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: A new new IG Squad: Imperial Navy Armsmen   A new new IG Squad: Imperial Navy Armsmen - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 1:55 am

Thanks Guys!

@Narcissus: To be fair, the speed is mainly due to me having a sickness bug at the start of the weekend and nothing else to do, except feel weak, nauseous and sit and paint (it's driven my two boys insane, not being able to jump on their dad!).

@Da Bank: Cool, we'll see what we can work out.

Back to top Go down
Gatlag Stonetooth

Gatlag Stonetooth

PostSubject: Re: A new new IG Squad: Imperial Navy Armsmen   A new new IG Squad: Imperial Navy Armsmen - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue May 22, 2012 9:55 am

Good thing I'm a professional forum lurker because sometimes the board fails to sent me updates about cool shit happening in thread I was supposed to be following... Little Frustrated

Awesome freakin' stuff man! You always manage to inspire me to start building/painting again! Really like your new squad in progress! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A new new IG Squad: Imperial Navy Armsmen   A new new IG Squad: Imperial Navy Armsmen - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A new new IG Squad: Imperial Navy Armsmen
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2