The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

G.W. Price Increases

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
DeafNala

PostSubject: G.W. Price Increases   Sat May 26, 2012 8:38 am

The War Store posted a PDF of G,W's price increases. I thought this might be of interest to the D.S. Gang:

http://www.thewarstore.com/pdf/TWS2012GW_priceincrease.pdf?utm_source=MailingList&utm_medium=email&utm_content=malefactus%40yahoo.com&utm_campaign=TheWarStore+Newsletter%3A+Games+Workshop+Special+Edition

There is also a listing of The War Store's current prices. clown
Back to top Go down
Colonel Prius

PostSubject: Re: G.W. Price Increases   Sat May 26, 2012 9:12 am

Ridiculous, some of those things have like almost a 20% price increase! (like Ork boys from not even $25 to $29).
Back to top Go down
http://www.ussaeon.co.cc
Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: G.W. Price Increases   Sat May 26, 2012 9:16 am

Prices are ridiculous... I have not bought anything from GW since 2008. I was priced-out back then. Sad

Support Bacteria; it is the ONLY culture some people have!
Since I ask "What do you think?" to all Staff, I have included it here to save time.

DoZer Flamethrower Mordheimer Justice NEEDS to be Served! Maybe 3rd Degree burns will teach you not to Tom Sawyer me to work!

Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
DeafNala

PostSubject: Re: G.W. Price Increases   Sat May 26, 2012 11:16 am

It is rather painful. The last G.W. thingy I bought was a box of Empire Archers for conversion parts...that was in the Spring of '09. The prices make Infinity, Wyrd, P.P. & some other high end mini makers seem more affordable; proving good things come out of bad. Eventually G.W. will be hoisted on their own petard. Suspect
Back to top Go down
Laney

PostSubject: Re: G.W. Price Increases   Sat May 26, 2012 2:09 pm

When are they not increasing prices?

The only bonus is it makes forgeworld seem affordable! Good job I have three armies pretty much built (which I barely used), with just a few minor additions needed. Plus, there are plenty of alternative suppliers that will be getting more of my cash this way (not to mention ebay!).

I've always fancied trying out some Wyrd and Infinity stuff (there's enough out there for death squads building anyway).

Laney

Lord GreyWolf

PostSubject: Re: G.W. Price Increases   Sat May 26, 2012 10:05 pm

I posted this on the Cool Mini or Not! forum

Quote :
Well I am so glad I got out of WHFB and WH40k way back in the day. I left once they started doing the repacks that made it a must for you to buy to many packs.
It used to be great you could buy this pack and this box and get the exact amount you needed. then they changed and it took 2-3 packs to get enough to make if not more.

I now play Warmachine, Hordes, Blitzkrieg Commander, Future War Commander, Tutatis, and Zombicide [once I get it] plus a heap of other different and cheaper board games.

The only GW system I play occassionaly is Bloodbowl but that is getting replaced with Greebo's Tutatis [a Gealic football version, cheaper quicker, my 6 year old daughter can play this game but struggles with Bloodbowl]

Back in the day I played WH40k [Spacewolves, Eldar, Chaos-Nurgle, Khorne,Slaanesh], hell when I played we had Robots and had to write programs for them and we had the Blood Slaughter for Chaos. I then played WHFB and had a Massive Orc and Gobbo army... I enjoyed my time playing the game then [of course I was 14 years old] also did a smattering of BFG, alot of Epic40k [Orks,Tyranids,Spacewolves, and HUGE Eldar force] a bit of Necromunda, a small amount of Mano-war, and I did a fair bit of Warmaster as well.

But now older and wiser I too can not see how kids will be able to play these games with the amount PARENTS will have to pay for them. Its getting to a point when gamers are going to say with a very loud voice "Enough is Enough F@$k you GW ,,|,,"

You know it will be desperate times when they start to re-release the speciality games:
Mano-war to compete against: the games like Uncharted Seas [Spartan Games]
Epic40k to compete against: Dystopian wars [Spartan Games], Dropzone Commander [Hawk Wargames]
BloodBowl to compete against Tutatis: [Greebo], Elfball [Impact Miniatures], Nuthin but net [Impact miniatures] and Impact City Roller Derby [Impact Miniatures]
Mordhiem to compete against: Freebooters Fate [Freebooters Miniatures], Malifaux [Wyrd Miniatures], Hordes [Privateer Press]
Battlefleet Gothic to compete against: Firestorm Armada [Spartan Games] Star Fleet:ACTA [Mongoose Games] X-Wing [Fantasy Flight Games]
Necromunda to compete against: Dust Tactics [Fantasy Flight Games] Infinity [Infinity] Warmachine [Privateer Press]
Squats: yup it will desperate times if they bring back the space dwarfs!!!! [I loved these guys when I played Epic.....]

there are plenty more out there that are challenging genres that GW used to control even with their C&D's companies are still able to make games that gamers actually can afford and play.

Hence why board games like Zombicide and Sedition Wars: Battle For Alabaster are proving so popular as they are affordable and give gamers sweet minis to paint and can be used for many types of games or systems not just the ones they were designed for.

on a final note GW are to blame for any lost sales or lack of profit not the gamers who have supported their products for many years and all we get in return is higher prices. Like others my wallet has left the GW building MANY MANY years ago.

my 10c[NZD]

LGW
Zombicide Fan Boy and dam proud of it!!!!!

It was great venting
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: G.W. Price Increases   Sat May 26, 2012 11:15 pm

I agree with you 100%!!!

Since I ask "What do you think?" to all Staff, I have included it here to save time.

DoZer Flamethrower Mordheimer Justice NEEDS to be Served! Maybe 3rd Degree burns will teach you not to Tom Sawyer me to work!

Back to top Go down
Lord GreyWolf

PostSubject: Re: G.W. Price Increases   Sat May 26, 2012 11:28 pm

thx Mord

it was rather cathartic letting it all out.

LGW
Back to top Go down
Gatlag Stonetooth

PostSubject: Re: G.W. Price Increases   Sun May 27, 2012 8:43 am

Sorry to hear that they are going to raise again, luckily for me I have at home more to assemble and paint than I ever can get to finish. So maybe it's a positive thing after all... Just Kidding
Back to top Go down
DeafNala

PostSubject: Re: G.W. Price Increases   Sun May 27, 2012 9:39 am

The sad part about G.W. isn't so much about what they've become, but what they could have been. At one time I thought they may very well be/have been the best thing that ever happened to miniatures & the games that used them. C'est la vie, eh?! Sad
Back to top Go down
Da Bank

PostSubject: Re: G.W. Price Increases   Sun May 27, 2012 10:09 am

Another price increase?

I agree with Laney who noted 'it makes FW look less expensive."

This is why I switched to Mordheim back in 2000. Have cool armies is great but the cost to keep them up is abstolutely insane.
Back to top Go down
Dysturbed

PostSubject: Re: G.W. Price Increases   Sun May 27, 2012 11:13 am

On a side note to this when we do this we should market it as a AFFORDABLE game to play. If we push adds on the forums like we usually do on release of 0.7.0 we should be pushing that AFFORDABLE alternative home.

It should attract people in droves.

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.” ~George Carlin
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: G.W. Price Increases   Sun May 27, 2012 12:32 pm

With the dawn of the "Consumer 3D Printing" GW must re-think what they are doing. Manufacturers just broke the $500 mark... 3 months ago the cheapest 3D Printer was $1,299! Yesterday I found a guy that posted a 3D model of a truescale Space Marine at Thingiverse.com (LINK as a proof of concept...

Yes, it looks bad. The Makerbot's way of printing leaves 'ridges' because it uses extrusion of plastic fibers. The models are VERY static and lack details. The cost per model (based on size) should be around $0.05 (if honeycombed inside for rigidity.)

BUT... what if someone does a GOOD 3D drawing? What will happen when the 'powder' 3D printers (great for details) become $500 or less? Right now they cost $2,500. At the prices GW has, one could buy a good powder 3D Printer and print a whole army for $50. BTW, I have seen Dreadnaughts, Leman Russ Tanks and Rhinos created by 3D Printers.

I think this should be the future for GW. Sell for CHEAP on a kit ($4.99) the render of 'generic' Space Marines, Guardsmen, Gaunts, Ork Boyz... horde type models. Have each kit have 2 poses... and allow the person to print as much as the want. They are static (boring) not very detailed (CRAPPY!) models... but it would let newbies join the 40k community and veterans to have more cash for the 'special' stuff (at reasonable prices, of course!)

Just like we do Squads... we get some basic IGs and start modifying them. We need flexible (non-static models) and our hunger for details push us to learn how to sculpt (and even cast!) For the 40k player there would be OPTIONS! The "damned if I ever paint" type, those ultra cheap (ugly) models would work. For the "must individualize every model" type (I'm looking at you Laney and Narcisuss!), you get a cheap base for sculpting and conversions. Then you have the 'standard' models that let you pose and add details. Then you have the high quality' models... enter Finecast. The you have the 'ultra' line... ForgeWorld. Those who don't care or are too broke (or too cheap) will keep on playing and tempted from time to time to buy some standard and ultra models... RATHER than quitting all together (like many of us did... only radical price change would get us back to 40k). Those who wish to have an 'elite' looking army would pay money for bits and details model... or even go for FW pieces!

Some stuff should not be made in 3D by GW... like the big tanks or monsters. But things that are super common, like Rhino, Leman Russ (IG tank), Drop Pod main bodies should. It lifts the burden of starting a new army. If you have a playable 1,250 army... the plastic-crack addiction would urge you to get more models, bitz and part. Once you have the complete army you want, you WILL keep playing and tempted to start another army on the cheap ("Ohhh... I'm tired of my Marines. Time for some WAAAGH!") The way I feel, if I could get 100 'static' Ork Boyz for $25... I would spent time buying models (even at the current prices) for my Warboss, Nobz, etc... It is like giving you the 'first taste' for (almost) free... you could play a 40k game with 100 Boyz, but I rather add some Trukks and Battlewagons... and some other cool models. Eventually I would get mad about the Boyz look-alike clones, so I would naturaqlly start converting and buying standard Orks.

Same thing happened with music. It became digital and people refused to pay $18 for 2 songs you like and 10 you could care less. The MP3 sharing became the norm. No more money for the big fat Record Houses. Until one idiot (Steve Jobs) decided to sell the songs for $0.99 that people stopped pirating songs. Too much hassle for them to DL the music from unknown sources for an unknown quality. Now, the 'new generation' thinks that buying music for $0.99 is normal. Eventually piracy would go to the dark, and only few of us old timers would know about it. If I could buy a great 3D Printer for 500, then I could buy 4 Space Marine Kits for $20 and have 8 kinds of SM models that I can print. Add 10$ for the Rhino and Drop Pod. For special weapons, Sgts, HQ, iconography, characters, turrents, etc, I would turn to GW for excellent "unique" models and parts.

Me... buying another army? You need to get me hooked. At $125 for a Battleforce box that is NEVER enough for a minimal game is not good enough. If the Catachan force included 30 Catachans (basic prints), 5 standard Officers, 1 FineCast Commander, a basic Sentinel and a sprue of bitz for $40... I buy TWO... and a couple of Chimeras, and 5 bit sprues for sutomizing and some Ogryns and some mortar & heavy bolter teams and... get my drift? Right now they are getting NOTHING out of me... they need to wake up!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: G.W. Price Increases   Today at 12:57 am

Back to top Go down

G.W. Price Increases
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1