Death Squads Game Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Narcissus' Pirate Orks

Go down 
+10
Lazi
Dysturbed
Da Bank
skavenslayer
Laney
Gatlag Stonetooth
Komfritten
Mordheimer
mudboy
Narcissus
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Da Bank

Da Bank

Narcissus' Pirate Orks - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' Pirate Orks   Narcissus' Pirate Orks - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2012 10:44 pm

True, maybe a slaneesh octopus? Shocked Either way, LOL, you are doing great as these are top notch.
Back to top Go down
Narcissus

Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' Pirate Orks   Narcissus' Pirate Orks - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 2:04 am

I figured I should show some shots of what has been eating up my time. I've been trying to sculpt an octopus to stand in as a troll for this squad. Here are some WIP pictures. It looks better in real life than the pictures, as I didn't bother with the photo booth.

The final model will be half submerged in a base with the top cut off. It will be emerging from the water. The final look will not be apparent until the model is finished. I am not sure quite how it will paint up. This is my first scratch sculpt.

Narcissus' Pirate Orks - Page 2 IMG_1521
I still need to add more suckers onto the tentacles.

Narcissus' Pirate Orks - Page 2 IMG_1520
A shot of the body. Once it hardens I will transfer it to the other base.

Feedback appreciated as always. I have another two grots that need a bit more work before I show them. I am really having fun making some over the top conversions for this squad.
Back to top Go down
http://rustandthecity.blogspot.com/
Gatlag Stonetooth

Gatlag Stonetooth

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' Pirate Orks   Narcissus' Pirate Orks - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 7:26 am

Very nice, I like him! Any ideas about the color yet?
Think purplish will suit him well! Smile
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' Pirate Orks   Narcissus' Pirate Orks - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 8:43 am

Narcissus wrote:
It looks better in real life than the pictures, as I didn't bother with the photo booth.
And that is the really scary part... it looks AWESOME NOW! Thumbs Up

So far looks great... can we get a picture from the side?

Some information and inspiration from the real thing. I think you are doing FANTASTIC by modeling in with inspiration on a Giant Octopus, Enteroctopus dofleini, from the North Pacific... which is AWESOME!!!!

The head of the the Giant Octopus is fairly big and 'falls' back. Look at this pics.
Narcissus' Pirate Orks - Page 2 6048686378_3ce7037ced_z Narcissus' Pirate Orks - Page 2 94271d3ffdb2

For coloration, I urge you to look at the Caribbean Reef Octopus, Octopus briareus. It is not as big, but has HUGE webbing between tentacles. This is a true master of irridicent coloration, my fav being the bluish-green tones.
Narcissus' Pirate Orks - Page 2 Caribbean_Reef_Octopus_800
Narcissus' Pirate Orks - Page 2 554259429_41e56bf41a

Caribbean Reef Octopi are very curious... I had this same experience while researching in Mexico (seems like another lifetime)...
Narcissus' Pirate Orks - Page 2 030206_Fantasy_Reef_Octopus_on_DM_Head_copyright_2006
Narcissus' Pirate Orks - Page 2 28515380_f6599e989c_z

The Giant Octopi... well, they are also huggers... but not the kind you want.
Narcissus' Pirate Orks - Page 2 4199454-Me_after_a_GIANT_Octopus_attack-Kuala_Lumpur

A gretchin wrestling to get a little octopus off his face... that is the stuff of legends! OHHHH!!! How about the gretchin beating up the little octopus off his face, then the large one behind? AHHH!! Classic!

Thanks for the update. Thumbs Up

EDIT: Of course... my favorite octopus is... Cthulhu!!!!
Narcissus' Pirate Orks - Page 2 Kraken-cthulhu Narcissus' Pirate Orks - Page 2 Cthulhu4Prez-Preview
Narcissus' Pirate Orks - Page 2 Cthulhu_rising_by_somniturne1

Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
Dysturbed

Dysturbed

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' Pirate Orks   Narcissus' Pirate Orks - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 9:53 am

ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
Back to top Go down
Da Bank

Da Bank

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' Pirate Orks   Narcissus' Pirate Orks - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 11:46 am

Nice modeling work!
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' Pirate Orks   Narcissus' Pirate Orks - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 3:04 pm

Ace work as always Narcissus - your greenstuff work is really smooth.

Laney:D
Back to top Go down
Narcissus

Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' Pirate Orks   Narcissus' Pirate Orks - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2012 2:43 am

Thanks everyone. I'm glad you like them.

Laney-chap stick all the way. I've found it much easier to get a good finish since I started using it to lubricate my sculpting tools.

DaBank-You will need to select your models soon. I'm planning to just make a bunch of them up. Send me a PM to let me know which you are interested in. (He sent me a bunch of ork models in exchange for some painted pirate orks).

Gatlag and Mord-I was thinking red/orange/brown/white like Giant Pacific Octopus (local too).

Mord-What research did you do? My undergrad degree is in Bio. I love how octopuses look. I tried to capture anatomical details like the head shape, webbing between arms, the siphons, the bumps for the eyes, randomness of the suckers, etc. The head shape is not quite how I envisioned, as the final model is larger than I intended, so the head is not as droopy. I think that bruise picture is from traditional "cupping" therapy. I could possibly make the head have the bulbous mantle at the back that is drooping down. Not sure if I could manage to blend it in seamlessly though.

I like your idea of the octopus attacking the face. I think I will make an ork fighting an octopus on his face. I have a lot of grots at the wrong end of an octopus fight already...

Here are some updated pictures. It is nearly finished. I just need to add more suckers. I have to let the current ones set first (so I don't squish them).

Narcissus' Pirate Orks - Page 2 IMG_1537
The base will be filled with dark green water effects so it looks like the octopus is rising out of the water.

Narcissus' Pirate Orks - Page 2 IMG_1534
Mord, note the siphons. I think they should actually be farther back and more collapsed, but they fit better here on the model from an asthetic perspective.

Here are some better pictures or the orks and gretchin I posted earlier.
Narcissus' Pirate Orks - Page 2 IMG_1545

Narcissus' Pirate Orks - Page 2 IMG_1548

Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' Pirate Orks   Narcissus' Pirate Orks - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2012 7:23 am

AMAZING!

I agree that the octopus' head can be a little more droppy on the back, but only fish-freaks like us actually notice stuff like that. My only suggestion... THE EYES. One thing that makes a cephalopod (octopus, squids, calamars, etc) very distinctive are their freaking eyes! They have one of the best close range eyesight of all the marine animals... pretty remarkable for a lowly mollusk! Check this fun article (LINK)

Narcissus' Pirate Orks - Page 2 Octopus_eye Narcissus' Pirate Orks - Page 2 Octopus_eye

So make sure to either sculpt or paint that horizontal iris... simple to do (especially for a Master like you) and will make our beloved deadly mascot jump to a new level of realism.

PS: The Ork with the bow... BRILLIANT! As + criticism, his wristband has a buckle that would not let him shoot straight. Then again, he is a ONE eyed Ork, so this may actually improve his accuracy! Just Kidding Hehehe... only a Orks would let an eye-gauched Ork use a bow... hilarious!
Back to top Go down
Narcissus

Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' Pirate Orks   Narcissus' Pirate Orks - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2012 12:03 pm

Thanks Mord. The wrist band is annoying. I may make it into a leather archers wrist thing. I will add the eye lids to the octopus. Great idea. I may add the big head on. I haven't decided yet.

I did a little more work on this grot in a tentacle.
Narcissus' Pirate Orks - Page 2 IMG_1557

I liked it so much that I made another one.
Narcissus' Pirate Orks - Page 2 IMG_1553

Here is another grot who will be standing on the remains of a dock.
Narcissus' Pirate Orks - Page 2 IMG_1554

Finally, an anchor that an officer will be carrying.
Narcissus' Pirate Orks - Page 2 IMG_1561
Back to top Go down
Da Bank

Da Bank

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' Pirate Orks   Narcissus' Pirate Orks - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 04, 2012 7:21 pm

Freakin cool.
Back to top Go down
Komfritten

Komfritten

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' Pirate Orks   Narcissus' Pirate Orks - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 05, 2012 3:09 am

It's an Orktopus...
Back to top Go down
Lazi

Lazi

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' Pirate Orks   Narcissus' Pirate Orks - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 05, 2012 4:27 am

I know you hear this a lot but: That's just pure awesome! I love both the idea and execution! First time I encountered W40k was some poster with Eldars fighting Ork Pirates and since then that image was in my head and I was always wondering why there are not ork-pirate models in GW line. So thank you for reanimating the old image in my head Smile Maybe when I decide to make some Orks, I'll be inspired by your crew.

Don't forget pirates should have their ship: Work In Progress forum: Battleship Smile Making something like that would make your crew even more awesome Wink
Back to top Go down
Narcissus

Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' Pirate Orks   Narcissus' Pirate Orks - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2012 3:54 am

I made a trade with Da Bank. I am way behind, but I will have his orcs painted up for him soon.

Here are two nobs.

Narcissus' Pirate Orks - Page 2 IMG_1618
I am pleased with how huge and aggressive this one looks.

Narcissus' Pirate Orks - Page 2 IMG_1623

Narcissus' Pirate Orks - Page 2 IMG_1625
This one needs some more work. I tried to make a little pistol, but it is bulky and bad. I think I will just give him a close combat weapon and a plastic pistol on his back.

Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' Pirate Orks   Narcissus' Pirate Orks - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2012 6:21 am

Great looking models as always Narcissus!

I tried the chap stick idea you mentioned - I've never achieved a better finish with GS.

Back to top Go down
Da Bank

Da Bank

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' Pirate Orks   Narcissus' Pirate Orks - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2012 8:43 am

Pretty sweet!
Back to top Go down
skavenslayer

skavenslayer

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' Pirate Orks   Narcissus' Pirate Orks - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2012 9:19 am

They look great, but I would like a side shot of the last one, like to see the pistol (even if you might drop it)

-Skavenslayer
Back to top Go down
Narcissus

Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' Pirate Orks   Narcissus' Pirate Orks - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2012 2:29 pm

Skavenslayer-The pistol is awful. I'll take a side picture before I remove the arm. Part of the issue is that the 40k guns have handles that are perpendicular to the gun whereas the pistols I want to make are at about 45 degrees. It is hard to get them to scale correctly for an orc too.

Laney-Glad the chapstick worked for you. Make sure you wash it with soap and water a bit when it is cured if you want to sculpt over it/paint.
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' Pirate Orks   Narcissus' Pirate Orks - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2012 10:12 pm

Love the barnacles on the sword... AWESOME!
Back to top Go down
Narcissus

Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' Pirate Orks   Narcissus' Pirate Orks - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2012 7:34 pm

I finished the conversion and assembly on these two models for Da Bank.

Narcissus' Pirate Orks - Page 2 IMG_1629
Both have pistols on them.

Narcissus' Pirate Orks - Page 2 IMG_1649
Skavenslayer-here is the failed pistol. I may try again another time. It just isn't really worth a big investment of time though.

Narcissus' Pirate Orks - Page 2 IMG_1630
Goldtooth

A added a lid to the eye as Mordheimer suggested.
Narcissus' Pirate Orks - Page 2 IMG_1644

Another grot
Narcissus' Pirate Orks - Page 2 IMG_1637

I added the skin texture and suckers on this tentacle. The suckers took me about an hour to do.
Narcissus' Pirate Orks - Page 2 IMG_1641

Narcissus' Pirate Orks - Page 2 IMG_1642

Now I really need to get some painting done!

Back to top Go down
Narcissus

Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' Pirate Orks   Narcissus' Pirate Orks - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2012 3:52 pm

Here is another ork pirate. The head is from Maxmini.

Narcissus' Pirate Orks - Page 2 IMG_1633

Narcissus' Pirate Orks - Page 2 IMG_1634
Back to top Go down
Dysturbed

Dysturbed

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' Pirate Orks   Narcissus' Pirate Orks - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2012 3:57 pm

I love those 'eads
Back to top Go down
Da Bank

Da Bank

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' Pirate Orks   Narcissus' Pirate Orks - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2012 4:47 pm

Nice Anchor and cool Ead!

Fantastic updates!
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' Pirate Orks   Narcissus' Pirate Orks - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2012 7:03 pm

AMAZING! The head is fantastic and the GS work... superb!
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' Pirate Orks   Narcissus' Pirate Orks - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2012 3:46 am

Another superb Ork to add to the collection - those heads look great. Maxmini has really upped its game recently.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Narcissus' Pirate Orks   Narcissus' Pirate Orks - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Narcissus' Pirate Orks
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Death Squads Game Forums :: Death Squads - Community :: Painting & Modeling-
Jump to: