The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Noir Chapel Gang

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Narcissus

PostSubject: Noir Chapel Gang   Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:05 pm

This small project log will show my work on my Red Chapel Gang for Malifaux.

I ordered these Malifaux models and assembled them months ago... Here are some bad modelling pictures (I took these in November I think).

I've also started converting Bette Noir. I drilled a paper clip into the bottom of the model and am working on the ethereal matter coming out of the storm drain.

I've built, painted, and finished three corpse counters. With a resurrectionist gang, when someone dies they leave a counter behind than can be reanimated.

The whole gang is going to be roughly in "Noir" style (my terminology may be incorrect). They will be black and white (not perfectly, but they will be muted, suggesting black and white tones). The only colour will be red items of clothing and graphic blood stains and splatter (think Sin City).

I've started work on the starter set for Seamus. Here are some very rough WIP pictures. I still have to paint the skin, some black areas, and highlight all of the red. The pictures give you a general idea of the feel. Very muted, evil, dark, and sombre. This project is more of a study in trying a dramatic style than it is a project where I push my painting skill (although this is very challenging in different ways). Keep in mind these are still very WIP. Comments are greatly appreciated.

Seamus, Sybelle, and a Rotten belle

Two rotten belles

Rotten belle

I am pleased with the effect so far but I am not satisfied with the models overall. Comments and constructive criticism are greatly appreciated.
Back to top Go down
http://rustandthecity.blogspot.com/
mudboy

PostSubject: Re: Noir Chapel Gang   Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:32 pm

If you're going for an (almost) black and white scheme I think they need more contrast. The darker areas should be much darker.

Very cool project! I might be inspired to finish my own crew.
Back to top Go down
Laney

PostSubject: Re: Noir Chapel Gang   Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:02 pm

These are looking very effective - how are you looking to achieve the scheme (is it washes over a white undercoat?). Darkening some areas may add to the effect.

The detail on these minis is superb - how much does a complete crew (or two) to begin playing run to?

I love the whole idea of not painting the models in a regular way (anything that promotes creativity is good!)

Laney

Gatlag Stonetooth

PostSubject: Re: Noir Chapel Gang   Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:10 pm

Always nice to see some malifaux models, they are very different in style to what I mostly see. I like the idea about the sin city colorscheme!
Back to top Go down
Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: Noir Chapel Gang   Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:01 am

Thanks for the comments. I agree about the contrast. I am planning to add some black areas (highlighted of course) and doing the skin a bit lighter.

Laney-I basecoated the models with a 3 stage zenithal highlight using my airbrush. Vallejo Model Air German Grey, USA Grey, and White. I then did some thin washes.

Malifaux is not too pricey. It is about $25-45 for a starting gang (starter box) which is about 25 soulstones (points in Malifaux). 35 soulstones seems to be the standard for most games, and usually takes 1 or 2 more models. I would say generally it is about $50 for a starting squad. The mini rulebook (that has all the needed rules) costs about $20 as well. Hypothetically, it should be pretty reasonable. With all metal models in individual blisters (outside of the starter boxes) it could quickly add up though.

The models are really detailed. They are pretty fiddly to assemble as the limbs are so thin. I really like the asthetic of some of the models. Some of them do not appeal to me at all. It is a game that has something for everyone though. Even my girlfriend found a squad she likes (and is just starting to paint them, her first models!).
Back to top Go down
Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: Noir Chapel Gang   Fri Jun 15, 2012 4:40 pm

I've finished painted Seamus. I highlighted the hat and coat with turquoise, so the model ended up a bit farther from black and white than I had intended. I am pleased with the blending though even if the overall model is a little disappointing.

I'm hoping to finish the rest of the models soon. Comments and constructive criticism are appreciated as always.
Back to top Go down
Da Bank

PostSubject: Re: Noir Chapel Gang   Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:34 pm

very nice and creepy!
Back to top Go down
Laney

PostSubject: Re: Noir Chapel Gang   Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:37 am

Thanks for the info on the basecoating Narcissus.

While it might not be exactly what you intended originally, the subdued tones still work really well. Is he the leader? As such a little more colour for him works well, where the others can be more monotone with red spot colour.

Seeing this makes me want to pick up a starter box (especially given the ace terrain the World Works Games do for Malifaux), but I fear between zombicide and sedition wars I'll not be painting anything else for a couple of years!

I forgot to mention - the GS work on Belle's skirt and the ectoplasm coming from the drain show some really good skill.

Cheers Laney

Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: Noir Chapel Gang   Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:28 am

Thanks guys.

Laney-Glad you like the greenstuff. I'm sure you have noticed I am a bit obsessed with conversions. It is hard for me to pick miniatures with fixed characters like in Malifaux. Much harder to do conversions. Seamus is the leader. He has an alternative model that I will get in the future if I play Malifaux a bit. The alternative model is very evil looking.
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Noir Chapel Gang   Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:55 am

HOLY COW!!! This guy looks amazing.

The model looks awesome. If you are aiming for the B&W look... I suggest you experiment with the red. I would suggest (IN ANOTHER MODEL!!!) washing the red with brown. The end result should look like a rusted redish brown. On a full colored picture, it looks BAD CHOCOLATE... but on a B&W picture, looks like a toned red.

Leaves the blues... BRAVO!!!

Support Bacteria; it is the ONLY culture some people have!
Since I ask "What do you think?" to all Staff, I have included it here to save time.

DoZer Flamethrower Mordheimer Justice NEEDS to be Served! Maybe 3rd Degree burns will teach you not to Tom Sawyer me to work!

Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
Colonel Prius

PostSubject: Re: Noir Chapel Gang   Sat Jun 16, 2012 4:52 pm

Well, not really black and white, but Noir, more like Sin City style. It looks like black and white, but with really vibrant, almost out of place' colors in places, usually red or yellow:

The blue might be a little bit to much color (needs to be a bit darker), and the red is not really vibrant enough I think for that look. That said, it is an amazing paint job.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ussaeon.co.cc
Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: Noir Chapel Gang   Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:12 am

It would be pretty hard to recreate the full vivid black and white on a miniature and have it look good. The noir style was more a starting point. My skill isn't good enough to achieve the full effect that I wanted, but I am trying to take parts of it to create a monotone model with strong red highlights. It is a bit of an experiment of different effects for me.
Back to top Go down
DeafNala

PostSubject: Re: Noir Chapel Gang   Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:32 am

While the monotone/Sin City style might be too subtle/arty for moi to tackle, I really am enjoying the way your project is developing. Since the Wyrd minis are going to figure largely in my Spooky Woods/Gothic Horror stuff, your WONDERFUL work is providing inspiration & motivation.

I added hair to Madam Sybil; I love the tutu you did on her. I'll try to resist copying. Since that level of sculpting is beyond moi, this should prove to be easy.

As an aside, I got the Wyrd News Letter today. Seems that theyve got a World Wide Campaign in the works. If you are interested, check it out here:

http://breachside.coda.net/

clown
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Noir Chapel Gang   Today at 10:14 am

Back to top Go down

Noir Chapel Gang
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1