The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Beginners (help) !

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Justagainst

PostSubject: Beginners (help) !   Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:43 am

I convinced my friends to play a demostration of Death Squads \o/

We play tomorrow (friday). I would ask if someone can suggest us a easy to play mission (we don't know rules very well yet) and two "basic" squad of eldar and imperial guard, thanks! Smile
Back to top Go down
Snixy

PostSubject: Re: Beginners (help) !   Thu Jul 12, 2012 4:05 pm

If you're JUST getting into it I suggest either just trying to kill each other or using a king-of-the-hill type scenario. In addition, as the basic squads I would suggest just using 3-5 recruits each with basic armament to get all the fundamentals down.
Back to top Go down
Laney

PostSubject: Re: Beginners (help) !   Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:37 pm

Here's a couple of solid lists from Lakedaimonai and Skavenslayer that might serve you well...

Striking Scorpion Exarch (Shuriken Pistol, Sword) - 113
Striking Scorpion Aspect Warrior (Shuriken Pistol, Sword) - 99
Fighter Aspirant (Shuriken Pistol, Club) -88
Fighter Aspirant (Shuriken Catapult) - 83
Warlock - 57
Wraithguard (Spirit Stone, Wraithcannon) - 132
2 x Guardians (Shuriken Catapult) - 126
2 x Guardians (Club) – 72

Cadian

Officers

Captain [55]
Hellgun [28]
Reflex Scope [11]
Combat Knife [free]
Total: [94]

Lieutenant [42]
Autogun [22]
Combat Knife [free]
Total: [64]

Lieutenant [42]
Autogun [22]
Combat Knife [free]
Total: [64]

Sergents [36]
Club [5]
Combat Knife [free]
Total: [41]

Sergents [36]
Club [5]
Combat Knife [free]
Total: [41]

Recruits

Infantrymen x 4 [100]
Autoguns x 4 [88]
Combat Knifes [free]
Total: [188]

Infantrymen x 2 [50]
Clubs x 2 [10]
Combat Knifes [free]
Total: [60]

HWS [36]
Flamer [27]
Combat Knife [free]
Total: [63]

HWS [36]
Grenade Launcher [15]
Frag Grenade [8]
Combat Knife [free]
Total: [59]

Medic [32]
Vox-caster [16]
Total: [48]

Squad total: [722]

Cheers Laney

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Beginners (help) !   Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:02 pm

VERY COOL Justagainst!

Here is my opinion on the matter. MOST IMPORTANT... ask skavenslayer, Laney, LGW, Dozer, mudboy, Narcissus, Lazi, etc... I SUCK AT REMEMBERING RULES. So, take my opinions with a grain of salt. Hhehehehe... yes, I'm THAT bad.

I suggest a mini-Campaign... 3 games linked together.

One of the 'weakest' parts of Death Squads is making the initial Squads. Just like making a 40k army list or a D&D Character, it takes time. We will work on acelerating this process on the new edition (thanks to a player suggestion!) In the meanwhile, to avoid this hassle I suggest you make two IDENTICAL Squads before the game day. If the Squads are identical, each of you will be able to help each other on the 'details' on how the Squad can do.

I think that you should play with an IG Cadian Squad. They are simple, not many complicated rules. As a matter of fact, they are the 'base' for game design! So, each of you have the same amount of models (Officers and Recruits) with the same (simplistic) gear. Make sure you have all the information in a Roster Sheet for each of you.

Now, you are ready to play. Hmmm... I like STORES... so, here is a background for your Campaign. YES! INSPIRATION!!!!

==================== Aquila ====================
The Omash City Incident

Mission 1: Seek & Destroy

Scenario: Skirmish

Background
Quote :
++++++++++++++ INCOMING TRANSMISSION ++++++++++++++

To: Field Colonel Kaleb-tur; 147th Regiment Stations on Omash City, Imperial Guard
From: Lord Inquisitor Lydor; Justicar 3rd Dan, Ordo Hereticus
Subject: Detain ALL movement in the area with Extreme Predujice.
Transmitted: Omega-VII Imperial Tactical Station, Echchether XII
Transmitter: Astropath Shyperu
Receiver: Astropath Muar
Thought For The Day: "Disobedience is rewarded by a painful death; obedience by merciful termination."

Colonel Kaleb-tur, by The Emperor's Blessing, I have uncovered evidence of heretical activity on your area. You are to secretly dispatch field patrols to the ruins of Omash City. They are to terminate ANY living creature they find on their patrols. Failure to follow the orders to the letter would result in my immediate visit to your war-zone, followed by an official inquiry of YOUR treasonous actions.

In The Emperor we thrive.

+++++++++++++++ END OF TRANSMISSION +++++++++++++++
After receiving the Astropath communication, Colonel Kaleb-tur gave explicit instructions to send several Squads on patrol to different sections the ruins of Omash City. Patrols were to find and kill anyone found, as they may be possible heretical traitors. The orders were clear and strict; shot first, never ask questions report to High Command.

Unfortunately, the orders passed down to the field omitting details regarding sending the Squads to different destinations to several Squads. If they find each other, they would initiate aggressive actions.

Designer's Notes: Have each player start with identical Squads. Players should name each Fighter and are allowed to use any normal size model they see fit. This would help players concentrate on basic rules instead on a particular Squad's special Rules, weapons, etc. Make sure to do the Post-Battle Sequence! This will allow each to get new gear and may be some Advancements, thus making each Squad a little more their own.

Mission 2: Silence is Golden

Scenario: Assaulting the Missile Silo

Background
After the Squads' first encounter, the victors set a makeshift communication center. They intend to inform HQ that they have found and engage the traitors and wish to request reinforcements. They know their enemy would do anything to stop the transmission.

Designer's Notes: Play the Scenario as written, but instead of a Missile Silo, use a prop for a communications' array (radar dish). The Squad that won Mission 1 will be the Defender. Instead of 'firing the missile', the transmission would be completed. Players will get the 'sense of urgency', in which the mission is more important that just killing the enemy. This is a great bonus that Death Squads offers and makes the story (and the Squads) feel alive! Do not forget the Post-Battle Sequence... for sure all the Recruits that survived Missions 1 & 2 will gain an Advancement! At the end, compare both Squads and see how they have become different in just two games.

Mission 3: Welcome to the Other Side

Scenario: Breakthrough

Background
The intelligence report was not transmitted successfully and it would need to be delivered personally. The victorious Squad will attempt to cross against the enemy territory, reach their HQ and delivering the exact coordinates to deliver a massive orbital strike against the enemy.

Designer's Notes: Play the Scenario as written, with the Squad that won Mission 2 being the will be the Attacker. This is a fast paced Scenario, design to teach the players that fighting may not be necessarily the best option.

PROLOGUE
Quote :
++++++++++++++ INCOMING TRANSMISSION ++++++++++++++

To: Field Colonel Kaleb-tur; 147th Regiment Stations on Omash City, Imperial Guard
From: Lord Inquisitor Lydor; Justicar 3rd Dan, Ordo Hereticus
Subject: Holy Clensing
Transmitted: Omega-VII Imperial Tactical Station, Echchether XII
Transmitter: Astropath Atehortua
Receiver: Astropath Muar
Thought For The Day: "An empty mind is a loyal mind."

The heretics have been found. Commence a Holy Cleansing by Orbital Bombardment to the area. Do not remove any personnel from location; anyone on the area should be recognized with a postume Silver Tear in recognition of the sacrifice in behave of the Holy Emperor.

You are to initiate the cleansing immediately. I will PERSONALLY monitor your actions on this matter.

In The Emperor we thrive.

+++++++++++++++ END OF TRANSMISSION +++++++++++++++

Hehehehe... hope you like it. That should get you going. Man... I'm INSPIRED!

PS: I expect Battle Reports WITH PICS!!! Pics, or didn\'t hap

Support Bacteria; it is the ONLY culture some people have!
Since I ask "What do you think?" to all Staff, I have included it here to save time.

DoZer Flamethrower Mordheimer Justice NEEDS to be Served! Maybe 3rd Degree burns will teach you not to Tom Sawyer me to work!

Last edited by Mordheimer on Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
Justagainst

PostSubject: Re: Beginners (help) !   Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:13 am

Wow, that is real support guys, thanks really! WE PLAYED! Very Happy

We got familiar with the rules, and almost everyone in the group was really satisfied and want to keep it as our main and unique game for skirmish size.

Again, an impressive work made by you. We play again soon to show the rules to everyone that missed last night's match.

I still have some question myself... most important, I didn't understand when a fighter is called to take Panic tests ^_^
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Beginners (help) !   Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:57 am

GREAT!!!! Glad you enjoy the game and had a great time.

I'm curious about:
  • Did you played the mini Campaign I wrote? No hard feelings if you guys didn't... I just wanted to know how it went. Based on your feedback, I may write a Supplement.

• "almost everyone in the group was really satisfied" Almost everyone? Could you share their concerns? Maybe there is something we could do. Again, nothing bad... but 'less that stellar' opinions also help. We have made MANY improvements based on feedback alone. Discussions start and then we discover that many people though the same but decided to 'live with it'... we want to make a GREAT game, so we manage to tweak things around! Contrary to other games... this is also YOUR game!

• Very important... WHERE ARE THE PICTURES?!?! Read a few Battle Reports so you get an idea. Take your game to a whole new level! If you keep insisting intorturing us by not sharing some pics, you may have a riot on your hands! Just Kidding

If you have specific questions/comments/suggestions/concerns... please open a NEW topic for each, so we can all address them. If put them in one thread, they become hard to read quickly. Wink

Again... thank YOU for playing!

Since I ask "What do you think?" to all Staff, I have included it here to save time.

DoZer Flamethrower Mordheimer Justice NEEDS to be Served! Maybe 3rd Degree burns will teach you not to Tom Sawyer me to work!

Back to top Go down
Komfritten

PostSubject: Re: Beginners (help) !   Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:51 pm

I'm probably going to play that campaign in the week to come =) yes it's true - I'm about to play again yay!
Back to top Go down
Justagainst

PostSubject: Re: Beginners (help) !   Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:45 pm

Mordheimer wrote:

I'm curious about:
[list][*]Did you played the mini Campaign I wrote? No hard feelings if you guys didn't... I just wanted to know how it went. Based on your feedback, I may write a Supplement.

[*]"almost everyone in the group was really satisfied" Almost everyone? Could you share their concerns? Maybe there is something we could do. Again, nothing bad... but 'less that stellar' opinions also help. We have made MANY improvements based on feedback alone. Discussions start and then we discover that many people though the same but decided to 'live with it'... we want to make a GREAT game, so we manage to tweak things around! Contrary to other games... this is also YOUR game!

[*]Very important... WHERE ARE THE PICTURES?!?! Read a few Battle Reports so you get an idea. Take your game to a whole new level! If you keep insisting intorturing us by not sharing some pics, you may have a riot on your hands! Just Kidding

If you have specific questions/comments/suggestions/concerns... please open a NEW topic for each, so we can all address them. If put them in one thread, they become hard to read quickly. Wink

We used both lists posted by Laney and played the 1st mission of your 3 ones. Next week we play the 2 others. We started late because I make a general explaination of the game before, reading the rulebook to others and answering their questions. There's no pictures because we used some "replacement" miniatures, real squads are under construction Smile .. I don't miss to report all battles when we got real models.

About the rules, want me to add a feedback topic based on our first gaming experience? (if so, on wich section? ^^')

Also, I make another thread for questions asap.
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Beginners (help) !   Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:51 pm

Well, you could describe the game, events and observations on the "Campaigns & Battle Reports" section. If you have questions, suggestions, observations, corrections, etc about the Core Rules, please post on the "Vol. 1, CORE RULES: Questions, Observations & Suggestions". Questions about Weapons, Armor and Wargear on "Vol. 2, ARMORY: Questions, Observations & Suggestions" and inquiries about specific Squad... well, you got the point. Wink

THANKS!

Back to top Go down
lakedaimonioi

PostSubject: Re: Beginners (help) !   Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:04 pm

I'd love to hear how the game went. I _still_ haven't played a game with that Eldar squad.
Back to top Go down
AcheronWolven

PostSubject: Re: Beginners (help) !   Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:46 am

Cool starting mini campaign Mordheimer, great material for beginners Smile

thanks
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Beginners (help) !   Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:32 am

Thanks! After the next release, we plan to also produce 'supplements'... including a book with Campaigns for those who wish to have something more concrete to run. Wink

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Beginners (help) !   Today at 4:34 am

Back to top Go down

Beginners (help) !
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1