Death Squads Game Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

WIP Inquisitor

Go down 
+7
Komfritten
mudboy
Da Bank
Laney
Narcissus
Arachas
horrid
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
horrid

horrid

WIP Inquisitor Empty
PostSubject: WIP Inquisitor   WIP Inquisitor I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2012 1:17 am

[img]WIP Inquisitor P1010048[/img]

This is the finished conversion for a 28mm inquisitor I'm working on. The base model was the WFB Empire Witch Hunter. I still haven't dealt with many finecast models but it cut up reasonably well. I play around with green stuff a fair bit but this is my first attempt at sculpting hands and working on a face. By sticking to sculpting a "half face" I went into it a little easier as I had a reference/guide right across the nose. The hands were a bit lazy too because he is wearing heavy gloves.

I had to remove the arms from the front of the body. I was able to salvage the left upper arm to the cuff(I wanted to keep the skull cufflinks). The new pose isn't an action shot but I'm hoping I was able to bring more dynamic positioning to the fig. The inquisitor is a psyker and channels his power through the staff in his left hand. In his right he is producing his rosette identifying himself as an inquisitor to the horror of a heretic somewhere outside the "frame" of the base.

90% of the look is Eisenhorn; from his heavy boots to the collar of his storm coat. The head of the witch hunter was striking so I kept as much of it on the model as I could. After a shave, removal of the eyepatch and new head wear I think it changed the feel of the model significantly. The wig was something I saw on a really impressive INQ28 model online that had been influenced by a John Blanche sketch. The sketch and the model oozed atmosphere and I wanted to see if I could sculpt one too. The wig turned out to be much easier than the face or the hands.

For a sculpt test I'm really pleased with how it came out. It was a fun exercise and I learned a few more tricks. I have a long way to go before I can do a respectable green from a wire armature but I am getting a little closer to trying again; heads and hands seem to be the most challenging parts.
Back to top Go down
Arachas

Arachas

WIP Inquisitor Empty
PostSubject: Re: WIP Inquisitor   WIP Inquisitor I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2012 1:29 am

VERY cool! Thanks for sharing.

I've read Eisenhorn, too (I reckon many people here have). I do think you've captured the look and feel pretty well. Well done on the hands, they are a pain to sculpt, but you did it rather well.

Hmmm... this makes me hungry for MOAR PICS!!
Back to top Go down
Narcissus

Narcissus

WIP Inquisitor Empty
PostSubject: Re: WIP Inquisitor   WIP Inquisitor I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2012 2:19 am

Very nice. I love the sculpted hair and I am really impressed you took on a face and hands. Can't wait to see more.
Back to top Go down
http://rustandthecity.blogspot.com/
Laney

Laney

WIP Inquisitor Empty
PostSubject: Re: WIP Inquisitor   WIP Inquisitor I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2012 3:06 am

Nice bit of sculpting - I shied away from using that model for a rogue trader because I felt it was too tricky to keep all the good bits and change it up enough - you've proved me wrong!

Good hands and I like the little gizmo in his rght hand. The best sculpting for me is the jacket front - it can be hard to have it looking consistent with the rest of the model.

More please!

Laney:D
Back to top Go down
Da Bank

Da Bank

WIP Inquisitor Empty
PostSubject: Re: WIP Inquisitor   WIP Inquisitor I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2012 7:53 am

Nice work and I like the laser on his shoulder.
Back to top Go down
mudboy

mudboy

WIP Inquisitor Empty
PostSubject: Re: WIP Inquisitor   WIP Inquisitor I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2012 10:30 am

Awesome model!

Really impressed with the sculpting
Back to top Go down
horrid

horrid

WIP Inquisitor Empty
PostSubject: Re: WIP Inquisitor   WIP Inquisitor I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2012 1:43 am

The inquisitor is finished. Almost. You'll notice a green "tail" projecting off of his coat. The "finecast" (I don't agree with failcast but I will accept frailcast) survived the conversion then fell of during the dry brush process (I don't feel I was terribly agressive with the edge highlights and the fix pissed me off). I'll paint the fix soon but it wasn't worth delaying the post. Inquisitor Amadeus Ney finally got a name.

[img]WIP Inquisitor P7100060[/img]

[img]WIP Inquisitor P7100057[/img]

The following is a WIP for an inquisitorial henchman. I saw a really sharp arbite with a cyber mastiff that's a limited edition event model and gathered some parts. I had a good start of gathered components (basing on model I can't get the actual model) and changed gears to look for suitable cyber mastiff/beast. My old Mordheim dogs looked as realistic and Scooby Doo and the wolfhound that acompanied Orion (WFB Wood Elves) didn't seem right. I checked Necromunda stuff and all I found were rats, ripperjacks and a gaggle of milasaurs. As my idea changed I came upon more cool Inq 28 stuff and resorted to theifing ideas; check out these amazing models:PDH's mixed hobby blog

[img]WIP Inquisitor P7100054[/img]

The picture is terrible but the model isn't done so hopefully that won't be too big a deal. If the detail was better I could point out how easy it is to make little skulls like those cufflinks on Ney I was so desperate to save. Mini-skulls are great little decorations and appear more complicated than they are.

Last edited by horrid on Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Narcissus

Narcissus

WIP Inquisitor Empty
PostSubject: Re: WIP Inquisitor   WIP Inquisitor I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2012 2:41 am

Great job. I love the hair and haughty expression on the inquisitor.
Back to top Go down
Komfritten

Komfritten

WIP Inquisitor Empty
PostSubject: Re: WIP Inquisitor   WIP Inquisitor I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2012 2:45 am

Agreed Narc, he's quite stuck up! Great =)
Back to top Go down
Arachas

Arachas

WIP Inquisitor Empty
PostSubject: Re: WIP Inquisitor   WIP Inquisitor I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2012 3:00 am

You do realize having models cooler than the Devs' will get you banned, right?
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

WIP Inquisitor Empty
PostSubject: Re: WIP Inquisitor   WIP Inquisitor I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2012 3:01 am

Excellent inquisitor - these are always such characterful models and the variation you can get in henchmen is cool too. Great colour scheme as well.

What was the base model for your henchman? It's very dynamic.

Back to top Go down
horrid

horrid

WIP Inquisitor Empty
PostSubject: Re: WIP Inquisitor   WIP Inquisitor I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2012 5:33 am

The henchman's body is one of the archer/huntsman from the warhammer empire range. It's funny how much an effect a couple part swaps can have; The torso and legs are a single part model rather than being two movable components. I cut the feet at the ankles so I could rest them on the deck and generator convincingly. This gave him a bit more swing in his step but the open arms (dark eldar hellion parts) gave him a "sweep" that really made the pose work. I made some minor adjustments but the plastic kit did at all the heavy lifting. I'm looking forward to painting this guy because he went together so easily and I'd like to accentuate the small embellishments I can actually take some credit for. I really need to get a decent camera that can shoot a cleaner macro.

Inquisitor Ney has a right to be stuck up; he named for a legendary composer and Napoleonic field marshal (since I settled on his name I couldn't get Falco out of my head). His wig really gives him airs though. For the most part I gave him a fairly neutral palette. I wanted him to be able to move through imperial society without attracting too much attention to himself. His wig is his one snotty pretension but for the most part he avoids baroque affecations (this seemed to suit his Amalthian sensibilities). This is also dictating the nature of his retinue which will be probably be made up of fairly low key/innocuous "types" (ex guard/hunter/scum/pilot). I do want to build him a daemonhost (the plastic wraith is the go to model for this one) as the pulling out the stops/sneaky time over muscle. If I can build a subdued radical/line crosser I'll try building a really over the top puritan with mad angels and surly ecclesiasticals as a counterpoint.

I haven't thought much about how to define an inquisitors retinue in deathsquad terms. It's probably best to stay away from it until I've made a better effort of digesting the work you all have already done. It's too tempting to build a band of heroes but necromunda and spyrers gives me pause. I'll focus on making models for now Smile
Back to top Go down
Gatlag Stonetooth

Gatlag Stonetooth

WIP Inquisitor Empty
PostSubject: Re: WIP Inquisitor   WIP Inquisitor I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2012 9:09 am

Sweet models man!
Please post a better pic of that henchman! Smile
Back to top Go down
Da Bank

Da Bank

WIP Inquisitor Empty
PostSubject: Re: WIP Inquisitor   WIP Inquisitor I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2012 9:48 am

CLAP, CLAP, CLAPS. Again, nice work. Keep us posted on more of your work.
Back to top Go down
horrid

horrid

WIP Inquisitor Empty
PostSubject: Re: WIP Inquisitor   WIP Inquisitor I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2012 2:33 am

I'm sorry that there haven't been any constructive developments on my end in a while. I'm at loggerheads with my camera and have decided to take the hit and get a new one. The modelling and painting has been relatively productive but my ability to capture the results has proved problematic.

If I can get things sorted I hope to have a replacement at some point over the course of the weekend. If I can manage I look forward to posting some new WIP and maybe produce some better quality images of the things I have already posted. Please bear with me.

horrid
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

WIP Inquisitor Empty
PostSubject: Re: WIP Inquisitor   WIP Inquisitor I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 16, 2012 2:53 am

We've all been there my friend - no problem. I look forward to seeing what you have for us next.

Back to top Go down
horrid

horrid

WIP Inquisitor Empty
PostSubject: Re: WIP Inquisitor   WIP Inquisitor I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 17, 2012 1:38 am

For price and purpose I ended up choosing an Olympus sv310. My past experience with the Olympus brand and the S Macro function made it a pretty easy decision. Taking the photos was as easy as point and shoot followed by a plugging the camera into my laptop; I finally joined the 21st century and it felt great Very Happy.

The image quality is definitely better and I'm really happy with the results.

[img]WIP Inquisitor InquisitorNey001[/img]

Nothing new here but the detail is so much crisper and I'm shooting so close to the model.

[img]WIP Inquisitor InquisitorNey005[/img]

A close up of the under warden; No ugly blurring. I'm not sure where to go with his scheme but I'd like to keep him similar to the inquisitor.

[img]WIP Inquisitor InquisitorNey002[/img]

This isn't actually part of the Ney project but I converted the model more than a year ago and never finished the paint. I went back to him when the warden stumped me. Since there are no inquisition death squads but there are ogryn hired guns I thought I share him here.

[img]WIP Inquisitor InquisitorNey006[/img]

This is the daemonhost. Most of the inq28 types I follow did something really amazing with the wraith model. I wanted to try my hand at the model but was a bit intimidated because of the edgy atmospheric compositions they achieved. Conceptually I wanted something pitiful but godlike. I was shooting for Jacob Marley and John Merrick .

[img]WIP Inquisitor InquisitorNey007[/img]

I made him from the wraith and corpse cart parts; The position of the feet is my favorite part of the model.

There we go lots of stuff and now that shooting photos is enjoyable rather than a chore I hope to submit as a WIP should.
Back to top Go down
Narcissus

Narcissus

WIP Inquisitor Empty
PostSubject: Re: WIP Inquisitor   WIP Inquisitor I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 17, 2012 4:31 am

Very nice. The feet are fantastic.
Back to top Go down
Gatlag Stonetooth

Gatlag Stonetooth

WIP Inquisitor Empty
PostSubject: Re: WIP Inquisitor   WIP Inquisitor I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 17, 2012 6:09 am

Wow! Great pics man!
Such an improvement!
I like the "ogre" model! Smile
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

WIP Inquisitor Empty
PostSubject: Re: WIP Inquisitor   WIP Inquisitor I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 17, 2012 6:13 am

The daemonhost looks excellent - I agree that the foot position is perfect and gives a real sense of a possessed body.

The Ogryn is amazing! I've always found the Ogryn models to be hard work to convert and you've done a great job.

Current best 'counts as' for an INQ squad is the Imperial Renegades with selected hired guns. I used them to make a rogue trader crew - lots of variety (with encroaching chaos for the radicals). The mutations can relate to augmetic enhancements, juvenat treatments, daemonhosts etc.

Cheers Laney
Back to top Go down
horrid

horrid

WIP Inquisitor Empty
PostSubject: Re: WIP Inquisitor   WIP Inquisitor I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2012 8:41 pm

Hi all,

Bit of time since I last posted. The INQ group took a bit of a break for a bit but my venerable guard army is ramping up for a major overhaul. The plan is to include the inquisitor and friends in the back story so I can have something fresh and different from the unending seas of drab gray the guard will entail.

I'm getting involved in a Dark Heresy rpg and have to rough out a character with a model. I'm gravitating toward a blighted scholam clergy man. I saw him as a Cognitae style double agent. A sly bastard with a black dam and a silver tongue. At the moment his working name is Ramiro Hofgen but he isn't painted and the ideas surrounding him are pretty rough so it is all subject to change.

Appearance wise I guess he is set. I had most of an old Gaunt model, a Sigvald head and some empire parts and this is what I came up with. When I built him I'd been listening to some Adam Ant and couldn't get "Stand and Deliver" out of my head.....

[img]WIP Inquisitor 018[/img]

[img]WIP Inquisitor 017[/img]
Back to top Go down
Da Bank

Da Bank

WIP Inquisitor Empty
PostSubject: Re: WIP Inquisitor   WIP Inquisitor I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 11, 2012 9:03 pm

Nice work! Keep it up.
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

WIP Inquisitor Empty
PostSubject: Re: WIP Inquisitor   WIP Inquisitor I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2012 2:51 am

Excellent bit of GS sculpture there. This guy and your inquisitor definitely have a Regency look about them!

Dark Heresy is a very cool game (I wish Fantasy Flight had the rights to miniatures from GW as well - they are so much more creative with the IP).

Back to top Go down
horrid

horrid

WIP Inquisitor Empty
PostSubject: Re: WIP Inquisitor   WIP Inquisitor I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2012 10:08 pm

@Laney

I have to agree on the imagery that FF has been contributing to the 40k verse. I actually have another model down the pipe (Isabella Von Carstein as a rogue trader) that is derivative of the FF Rogue Trader militant class illustration. I wouldn't totally write off Black Library as a source of inspiration though. I recently picked up a copy of "Will of the Emperor" and found it to be rife with ideas. Plates include everything from Blache sketches to images grabbed from FF. The only disappointment with the book is the lack of commentary. I'm most interested in insights into their creative processes but they don't seem to feel much like sharing Crying or Very sad.

Most of the material that ends up making it in to 40k proper is very much "only war"-centric and doesn't provide the intimacy of a life within the dystopian future. Dan Abnett painted most the best images of the 40k universe with words. Again FF should be commended for fleshing things out as well. I have a "little drummer boy" that is almost complete that I'll post soon. Seasonal piece that alludes to a Napoleonic feel I want to convey with the guard army I mentioned.

He is a slightly modded Perry brothers musician from their British rifles regiment. I bought two kits of them a couple years ago hoping to use them in guard conversions. The models are amazing but the differences between true 28mm and heroic 30's make the integration an ugly marriage. The drummer scales very well as a 12-14 yr old boy which made him perfect for the job and eased my conscience a bit as far as destroying all those nice Perry sculpts. While painting him I learned a valuable lesson about why I will never own a legitimate Napoleonic army. Painting detailed models like that en masse would be torture.
Back to top Go down
horrid

horrid

WIP Inquisitor Empty
PostSubject: Re: WIP Inquisitor   WIP Inquisitor I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 26, 2012 2:11 am

Happy Holidays all!! Last post I mentioned a Perry drummer I had put together for the guard project. He is a jaunty little fellow and in spite of a run in with Commissar Grinch for being too merry in the grimdarkness of the sombre Candlesmas anti-celebrations here he is... Rum-pa-pum-pum Very Happy

[img]WIP Inquisitor PC260037_zpsba070a24[/img]

[img]WIP Inquisitor PC260038_zps522b08c2[/img]

I was thinking of giving him a name like Timor Kratchoff so he would fit with my army and give a nod to Dickens and Tiny Tim that would be more subtle any time of the year but now. Opinions?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

WIP Inquisitor Empty
PostSubject: Re: WIP Inquisitor   WIP Inquisitor I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

WIP Inquisitor
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next