Death Squads Game Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What if.......

Go down 
5 posters

Which of the following would you prefer?
Keep Deathsquads set in the WH40k Universe.
What if....... I_vote_lcap83%What if....... I_vote_rcap
 83% [ 5 ]
Revamp Deathsquads into its OWN Universe.
What if....... I_vote_lcap17%What if....... I_vote_rcap
 17% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 6

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
Lord GreyWolf

Lord GreyWolf

What if....... Empty
PostSubject: What if.......   What if....... I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2013 6:22 am

Taking a concept I bought up in another thread simply its a what if.

One vote please make any comments.

Eg why did you vote for.........etc

I am really curious that's all.

Disclaimer: In NO way does this poster/subject/topic imply,suggest, or confer that any change in DS would/will happen.

Cheers
LGW
Back to top Go down
Gatlag Stonetooth

Gatlag Stonetooth

What if....... Empty
PostSubject: Re: What if.......   What if....... I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2013 7:12 am

I voted for the 40K universe. This because I like the 40K universe, the various races/factions and especially I like the models. I would only vote for another universe to make DS possible in a Kickstarter way like we talked about in another topic.
Back to top Go down
skavenslayer

skavenslayer

What if....... Empty
PostSubject: Re: What if.......   What if....... I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2013 1:13 pm

I voted keep it in 40K.

I like warhammer, I only like warhammer and dont really wants to play / learn anything but warhammer.

I would never have found this game, if it was not warhammer, if it was changede I wound only play "orginal" and house-rule from there.

I feel the same way about changing to D10 (already mentioned this in the D10 discussion, but also fits in here), to me a part of warhammer, rules and background is the D6.

Hope this answer some questions for you. (and sorry about bringing up the hole D10 debate)

-Skavenslayer Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Da Bank

Da Bank

What if....... Empty
PostSubject: Re: What if.......   What if....... I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2013 9:42 pm

Just some history on the matter, when Mord and I started this endeavor it was proposed by someone else to create our own universe and not go with 40k history, armies and etc. At that time Mord and I both thought that was not the direction. This was a game we felt was missing from 40K and more people play 40k and thus easier to relate.

I stand by that still.

The next question is if you create your own world who is going to do that? It has taken almost 5 years ago (August 2008)to get to this point with 40K background. How much longer would it take to reinvent it all over again? Again, not a bad idea but don't know if that is needed at this point.

On D10, this has been discussed since the game started and when Dozer came into the group. In hindsight, we should have moved to d10 sooner but at the time we were all used to d6 and using d6 made the process easier. AS noted, d10 would have been better and in fact there is an Ex GW staffer who has a game coming out on kickstarter that is d10 based as he noted, "it makes the game better for balancing" and I would agree to that.

The kickstarter idea is nice but who has time to rewrite all the backgrounds, take pics and etc so nothing is GW or 40K related and how fast would that take?

I know my feelings on starting this project was not for money. It was created for fun and to play another version of 40k universe that was lacking and or missing. With that I see how people would like to see that and there are times it would have been great if GW saw some potential but true skirmish games are not in GW future and have not been for some time. Maybe it will change? Who knows. If it would go to kickstarter everything would change and so would many other things as it would turn to a business venture.

Good and fair questions....what does the future hold? Per 40K ONLY WAR! Smile

Back to top Go down
Lord GreyWolf

Lord GreyWolf

What if....... Empty
PostSubject: Re: What if.......   What if....... I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2013 11:12 pm

thx for the comments and votes so far.

This thread was done to see where the gamers who want to play this game and those who are developing it stood.

for me I know Mord could easily take this game and with the two other of the Trinity [Da Bank and DoZeR] could make it into a business and do really well with it.

yes it would be hard work to turn DS into its own stand alone universe with its races and, equipment, but at least no one can take it off you or steal your ideas.

with the gamie most likely heading into the d10 realm some of the current players could leave it as they are traditionalists and prefer the d6.

it was this change AWAY from the GW dependency on d6 that got me thinking about leaving the WH40k universe.
its this break from norm that could attract me back to playing a sci-fi skirmish.

then again I haven't been a die-hard WH40k fan since I was 14....

LGW

Back to top Go down
Gatlag Stonetooth

Gatlag Stonetooth

What if....... Empty
PostSubject: Re: What if.......   What if....... I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2013 4:15 am

My only reason for "going to kickstart" it would be that DS would become "official" and thus more popular. I wouldn't do it for the money. I would only like to have TLRB as a paperback or even a hardcover! Smile
But I'm already working on that idea for myself, so when I have something concrete I'll share it here and maybe more people would like to have a copy then.
Back to top Go down
Lord GreyWolf

Lord GreyWolf

What if....... Empty
PostSubject: Re: What if.......   What if....... I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2013 6:01 am

Gatlag Stonetooth wrote:
My only reason for "going to kickstart" it would be that DS would become "official" and thus more popular. I wouldn't do it for the money.

This a dam good reason for it to be done. the amount of exposure for the game would be enormous.

If Mord, Da Bank and DoZeR made a buck of two then dam well they deserve it.

We all have put in alot of work into this game alot of it for love of the rules, and the people playing it and making it happen.

for me taking it out of an existing realm and making one of your own would be its next evolution and one that could be expanded into other areas. Like these for example:

Deathsquads RPG
Deathsquads Attack Force [15mm scale Mega-battles]
Deathsquads Mission Harbringer [Battling aliens on a space ship. Tile base rules]
Deathsquads the card game. [Come on dysturbed you know you want this as much as I would]

the options and scope are as big or small as we could or want to make it..... some food for thought and one I would be willing to be part of again.

LGW
Back to top Go down
rhuntar

rhuntar

What if....... Empty
PostSubject: Re: What if.......   What if....... I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2013 10:21 am

I voted a couple days ago, and didn't know that I had anything to contribute to the conversation, but the last few posts have got me pretty worked up.

Before I say anything else, I really like DS, and this forum community. I'm very intellectually and emotionaly invested, not to mention the physical stuff (models, terrain, etc.)

The reason I landed here was because of Mord's posts on Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum. The reason I stuck around was because DS has taken the broken parts of that game and started to work the genre forward. No one who plays Mordheim feels obligated to play it by the book. Necromunda and Gorkamorka have huge fan-led updates, as well. DS feels unique because it gives a reason for the various squads and armies of 40k to be on the skirmish table. Its not locked in a setting the way those other variants are.

I don't play the wild-west or pirate versions (which also have some refinements), because I would rather collect GW figures. Their line is huge, I can get what I need through ebay, etc. Its accessible

In the last couple months, a local 40k club has started planning a necromunda league in my town. That was the stepping stone I needed to get down there, play some games and meet people who would be interested in a 40k skirmish game. I've been talking this forum and ruleset up, and frankly, its embarrassing that two of the most active threads are a "why I hate 40k" and "why we should make our own IP"

Lord GreyWolf wrote:

with the gamie most likely heading into the d10 realm some of the current players could leave it as they are traditionalists and prefer the d6.

I thought this discussion had died. I'm upset to hear that it may have just been taken to the private boards, but is still kicking around. I understand all of the justifications for a d10 system, but the fact is, those game exist, but I'm hanging out here. I have a hard enough time already, trying to find someone who will be interested in playing this with me. Changing the core mechanics is a hurdle I don't need. So I probably would be one of those 'traditionalists' who would just stop coming around here. Playing a skirmish/campaign game already makes me a GW misfit. Playing one that has funny shaped dice? I probably can't handle the scorn.

Infinity and Dark Age are d20 games, that are already out there. They've got fantastic models and rules, support from some Huge gaming companies, and they probably aren't thriving in your local community, despite having been around for 10+ years... Battle for Antares is hot right now, but Sedition Wars was hot 8 months ago... Its showing up and there's no one in my town buzzing to play it. I'm mostly excited to use it to convert friends to DS players...

Again, I'm this post might seem harsh or angry, but I'm largely hurt. I'm been really enthusiastic lately, painting squads, getting terrain prepped during my lunch break at work, and spending my weekends writing a sorely needed roster aid. This discussion just takes the wind out of my sails.

If the dev team wants to go Kickstarter, I'll wish them the best. But I think there are other games out there with a cleaner ruleset, and great fluff. And I'm not playing them. Our rulebook has SO many errors right now. Its over 300 pages... Most of the fluff needs to be trimmed down, most of the rules
are twice as long as the need to be. And I literally just typed all of them into battlescribe, so i know. I've got another dozen posts for the Armory suggestions forum, that is just waiting in my notebook.

And with those flaws? I would do anything I could to get a DS game this weekend.

Like I said. I'm worked up. But that's why I voted to keep with the 40k fluff.
-rhuntar
Back to top Go down
https://twitter.com/Oftheninefinger
Lord GreyWolf

Lord GreyWolf

What if....... Empty
PostSubject: Re: What if.......   What if....... I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 23, 2013 10:41 am

First off I need to clarify some things

1] I am not a developer, and what I say in these posts is my views only.
2] the move to d10 was on the books when I was a contributor and as far as I as aware it was still on the cards. If this has changed I apolygize
For the confusion.
3] I did not do this thread to upset the WH40k /GW fan-boys. Merely to see where everyone was in regards to an idea.
4] the reference to kickstarter was again a comment I made and did not imply that this would happen. That is up to the Developer of this game.
5] as the title mentioned this is A WHAT IF.......This is merely me musing.

It seems this thread has caused some users to be upset .. Easy fixed.

LGW
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

What if....... Empty
PostSubject: Re: What if.......   What if....... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What if.......
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Death Squads Game Forums :: Other War Games :: Lord GreyWolf's Den (Misc Games)-
Jump to: