Death Squads Game Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Table - an attempt to be creative

Go down 
+2
mudboy
Matt12z
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Matt12z

Matt12z

The Table - an attempt to be creative Empty
PostSubject: The Table - an attempt to be creative   The Table - an attempt to be creative I_icon_minitimeThu May 09, 2013 8:03 am

Hey all,

So, I've recently been trying to make some scenery. Scenery making hasn't always been my strongest feature - I still believe that upturned polystyrene packaging, spray painted black (in order for it to be eaten away slightly), is acceptable terrain. However, seeing some of the amazing stuff in here, I realised I couldn't cling to my ignorance any more, and ought to get started.

So yeah, here we go. Still very wip:

First, a powerstation.

The Table - an attempt to be creative BC6hHCICMAEymcj_zpsbd2af0af

Next, a market place.

The Table - an attempt to be creative BCvaE-ACMAE1E3g_zpsfd756d5e

Finally, two statues.

The Table - an attempt to be creative BHWGhlHCEAAJQoh_zpsc5d84262

Still a lot of work to do, especially in regards to painting them, which I have no idea how to do. I'm thinking a couple of cans of spraypaint...

As always, feedback would be appreciated.

Matt
Back to top Go down
mudboy

mudboy

PostSubject: Re: The Table - an attempt to be creative   The Table - an attempt to be creative I_icon_minitimeThu May 09, 2013 2:33 pm

Nice start. I haven't made any 40k/DS terrain myself either though I've made tons for Mordheim.
I think the main problem with getting started for me is a lack of imagination for futuristic looking materials. Though I've had a few ideas.
Keep it coming Very Happy
Back to top Go down
rhuntar

rhuntar

PostSubject: Re: The Table - an attempt to be creative   The Table - an attempt to be creative I_icon_minitimeThu May 09, 2013 6:19 pm

Good looking start! What are the pieces used in the marketplace? I like the idea of a bunch of futuristic street lamps.

I've had similar issues trying to come up with designs for a convincing ds table, and usually end up deciding I should do some finishing up of my mordheim scenery before getting too far into a new, ill conceived, project.
Back to top Go down
https://twitter.com/Oftheninefinger
Narcissus

Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: The Table - an attempt to be creative   The Table - an attempt to be creative I_icon_minitimeThu May 09, 2013 8:17 pm

Looks good. I've found that 40k scenery is lots of fun to make. Most modern containers look good. The painting really helps to differentiate them and make them look like scenery. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with all of this.
Back to top Go down
http://rustandthecity.blogspot.com/
Matt12z

Matt12z

PostSubject: Re: The Table - an attempt to be creative   The Table - an attempt to be creative I_icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 5:57 am

Thanks for the responses! I've enjoyed painting them.

To answer some of the questions:

@mudboy - I actually agree with you. 40k is such a hard battlefield to create for, simply because it's already so well defined in the 40k universe. In the grim dark future... and all that. For example, I was joking with some friends I play necromunda with that it would be entertaining to create a graveyard, and every time a gang member gets killed, we should add a gravestone. But one of the guys said, hand on heart, that in the grim dark future of 40k there isn't such a thing as graveyards. That bodies in necromunda would be put into chem vats. And that made me sad. A billion worlds, and they're all exactly the same?? I think the only limit should be your imagination, not just the official fluff and white dwarf articles.

@rhuntar - The pieces in the market place...I can't really remember. I think there a mix of scavanged bits from some GW terrain kits (the bastion kit, to be specific), small cardboard boxes, old spru, salvaged circuit boards...you name it, it's been used.

@narcissus - Painting them is actually where I struggle! I don't have an airbrush, so it'll be a spray can job with drybrushing. See where that takes me!

Matt
Back to top Go down
Arachas

Arachas

PostSubject: Re: The Table - an attempt to be creative   The Table - an attempt to be creative I_icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 8:40 am

Going to be great stuff. I like the power station a lot. Add catwalks if you can. Catwalks are so much fun ingame. Smile
Back to top Go down
Matt12z

Matt12z

PostSubject: Re: The Table - an attempt to be creative   The Table - an attempt to be creative I_icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2013 7:19 am

I'm in the process of trying to sort out catwalks! It's just proving to be a nuisance - I'd like to create catwalks which could be easily attached / removed in order to facilitate flexibility on the board! Any ideas?
Back to top Go down
Arachas

Arachas

PostSubject: Re: The Table - an attempt to be creative   The Table - an attempt to be creative I_icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2013 8:39 am

Not really. But there's a ton of catwalky stuff out there for Infinity. Might help you out.

Check out some of this stuff for inspiration:

http://www.sarissa-precision.co.uk/store/system8/ (scroll down for gantries)
http://www.shop.microartstudio.com/catwalk-set-p-554.html

Data Sphere has enough threads on Infinity terrain, should be something in there for you.
Back to top Go down
rhuntar

rhuntar

PostSubject: Re: The Table - an attempt to be creative   The Table - an attempt to be creative I_icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2013 11:39 am

Most of my plans with catwalks or gangways involve magnets and a forstner (sp?) bit. ( flat hole drill bit...). Little strips of metal built into the scenery or magnets in the scenery as well.

Blue tac or rings of gaff tape would also work if you remember to pull it all off at the end of a play session.
Back to top Go down
https://twitter.com/Oftheninefinger
Gatlag Stonetooth

Gatlag Stonetooth

PostSubject: Re: The Table - an attempt to be creative   The Table - an attempt to be creative I_icon_minitimeWed May 15, 2013 2:45 pm

Great start on the terrain! Hope to see more soon! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Table - an attempt to be creative   The Table - an attempt to be creative I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Table - an attempt to be creative
Page 1 of 1