Make Your own buildings, cheap, easy and qick. [but forget about reliefs, fountains etc.]
I know, that turning piece of cardboard into building isn't something horribly hard... but i think there are some tips everyone could use.
at the beginning.you can build anything, but remember- a building you wish to put any minis inside should be easy to access. I use ruins with 2 or 3 walls only to have point for interferences... and to determine the LOS. And also put less than half of area under any type of celling.
1. on piece of clean [it really helps
] cardboard i make few horizontal lines:
To imitate a civillian buildings i use 4 lines to mark every floor:
*line marking a bottom of the windows [2cm above ground line]
*line marking the top of the windows [5cm above ground line]
*ceiling line [6cm above ground line]
*next floor ground line put ab. 0,5 cm higher.
of course industrial buildings will have ceilings higher, less windows... you can make as high building as you want... but i must say it- i made few 5-6 floors high buildings... and no miniature EVER go higher than into 2nd floor. It looks nice but is tactically useless.
Also is nice idea to glue some metal plate into floor to make them more stable
2. windows: at such prepared wall make vertical lines: width i leave to your personal sence of harmony and geometry. I make 3 to 2,5, with 2 cm spaces between...
usually.places that you managed to be windows mark in any way. When you're making same huge building its easy to get confused. work smart, not hard.
2.5 If You want to make kind of ruins- take a pen or something and make some irregular lines- thet will be your edge-line. Don't worry if it go through the window! it's OK.
3. simply cut off the windows [or doors] and through the edge mentioned at 2.5.
4. put the walls tohether [they can be fitted... but don't must
], glue additional floors.
I use a painting tape, because it's a lot easier to paint it later.
I also use it also around the edges - it looks a lot better... and take the most time
5. to make the surface more rough i use PVC glue... or wood glue.
just spread a thin layer over the whole wall bu scrap of cardboard [ex-window area for example] and leave to dry.
If You put too much glue and wall looks like melting... just paint the chaos symbols at the end
6. glue additional elements like rubble or boards.
7. paint it. I use black spray to layer everything, then drybrush over the walls by grey paint with large brush, just to exposure the uneven surface. Details painted with smaller brush.
8. The posters I glued I Take from GW supplies… can’t remember from where exatcly, but i throw it HERE
and small reqest for moderators... make a little revision of my crappy english, it's 2 at night and i KNOW there will be a lot of mistakes...