Death Squads Game Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A cup and a CAT

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
spastic_colon

spastic_colon

A cup and a CAT Empty
PostSubject: A cup and a CAT   A cup and a CAT I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2014 4:47 pm

Lady's and gentlemen I present to you the culmination of several months struggle to pick up a paint brush.
After all this time I finally managed to finish....

Wait for it...

A cup and a CAT.
A cup and a CAT Cat-n-cup

Yep...

And I already want to repaint them.  I want to practice painting Gems so in a few years when I'm ready to paint the terminators they will looks slightly better than a this.     Smile 

A cup and a CAT Cat

Oh and Happy Friday Ya'll
Back to top Go down
spastic_colon

spastic_colon

A cup and a CAT Empty
PostSubject: Re: A cup and a CAT   A cup and a CAT I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 07, 2014 4:49 pm

Any crits and tips would be appreciated.

Everytime I look at it I notice more detail I could paint.

I think I'll go back and paint the CAT's penis.  ( < can I say that on here???  Rolling Eyes  )
Or whatever you call it - it looks like it should be a lens or gem or something or some kind of Knob.
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

A cup and a CAT Empty
PostSubject: Re: A cup and a CAT   A cup and a CAT I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 08, 2014 3:33 am

The metallic on the CAT and Cup looks good, due to the wash you've given them. You've picked out the different parts of the model well and the skull in particular gives a nice focal point.

The Red looks a little flat and an edge highlight would really make a difference. A touch of rust on the tracks might work too (but I wouldn't over do it).
Perhaps choosing an alternative spot colour for the wires e.g. light blue, yellow stripes etc would add a little more variety.

Gems...
Because you've gone for a single block colour on the cup, those gems need to really pop. You've got the base colour and the wash, for a basic gem... now add a light red to the bottom 1/2 of the gem (creating a crescent where the middle hollow of the 'C' is pointing towards the intended light source), then use an orange (or very bright red) to create another crescent on the bottom 1/4 of the gem. Then add one or two tiny white spots in the opposite corner of the gem and you've got yourself a shiny gem.

A cup and a CAT GemsTutorialA
This picture is better than my description and shows how you can get increasingly more detailed.

Hope this helps!

Cheers Laney
Back to top Go down
Stryke

Stryke

A cup and a CAT Empty
PostSubject: Re: A cup and a CAT   A cup and a CAT I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 08, 2014 6:28 am

I second what Laney said, you need some highlights on these badboys especialy the gems. right now the look kinda flat, even on the metal, now you ahve applied a wash to the metal go back in with some boltgun or mithril silver on the details that stand out, like the bolts and some of the edges. same goes with the gold parts and on your cup! But great job so far. you have the basics! 

I lost the cup form my space hulk set Sad I was like you when I got it though, I practiced and practiced before I touched the terminators, there is so much great detail on the minis that I didn't want o lose any of it!
Back to top Go down
spastic_colon

spastic_colon

A cup and a CAT Empty
PostSubject: Re: A cup and a CAT   A cup and a CAT I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 11, 2014 9:47 am

Excellent info!  Thanks a ton.
If I get some time tonight I'll give it a go and post the results!
Back to top Go down
Stryke

Stryke

A cup and a CAT Empty
PostSubject: Re: A cup and a CAT   A cup and a CAT I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 11, 2014 10:10 am

looking forward to it Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

A cup and a CAT Empty
PostSubject: Re: A cup and a CAT   A cup and a CAT I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A cup and a CAT
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Death Squads Game Forums :: Death Squads - Community :: Painting & Modeling-
Jump to: