The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

Hello, my name is...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
valthonis

PostSubject: Hello, my name is...   Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:09 am

Figured as my first post I should stop in here and see how things are.
I must say I complete stumbled across this place by accident, but this level of skirmish game is exactly what I've been looking for.

I used to play 40k back in the 3rd edition days, but I loved so many different armies that well, my bank account didn't love.
And after a while the full scale battles were getting a bit too much and I wished for something smaller.

Now...years later, here I am!

As for background, I've been an avid war/tactical gamer for most of my life, turning 30 next week, and for the last 5 years I've been playing and recently in the last year been active in creating new content for Babylon 5 Wars, including both a updated campaign rule set and various ships and race addons.

I consider myself level headed and pratical with rule design.
I only mention this, as I hope once I get a few games under my belt I can assist in this game as well.

Guess that's about it for now.
Back to top Go down
Da Bank

PostSubject: Re: Hello, my name is...   Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:53 am

Valthonis

Welcome!

I am glad you found us, even by accident. Just Kidding

That is exciting news on the Babylon 5 Wars. As you will see most companies will promote something but they never spend the time needed to fix, adjust and etc. Death Squads is the exact opposite and has pressed forward through the minions of Chaos to try to provide the most simplistic yet balanced 40K True skirmish game.

As you noted, gaming is costly but Death Squads is "cheap" per true 40K battles. Most people will spend $40-$100 on your squad and that could be more or less depending on if you already have the models, you trade, barter, buy new and like to convert.

Yes, get some games under your belt, post reports, ask questions and let's see where it leads us. We are always looking for people dedicated to the development of the game as we all have families, work and just life in general things come up.
I currently work 6 days a week out of town and put in on average 60-70 hours a week, trust it is better as it was 80 hours a week.

I am assuming you are in the USA?

Look forward to having you part of the Death Squad Team>
Back to top Go down
valthonis

PostSubject: Re: Hello, my name is...   Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:10 am

Excellent.
Nothing makes me happier to help contribute that to see others activitly participating as well. Looking forward to being a part.

Correct, I'm actually located between Green Bay and Appleton in Wisconsin.
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Hello, my name is...   Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:19 pm

Welcome!

We honestly believe that big gaming companies sometimes miss the point, and alienate those who do not fit their vi$ion. You can actually play a long Death Squads Campaign (20 games!) for the cost of a single basic box of models! Someone new (or returning) to the hobby could spend $35 and have a GREAT experience... then maybe move to a bigger army! The natural process in our skirmish is that your Officers change (for better or worse) over time. Ask laney02!!! He made a GREAT model for his IG Captain... and after his 1st game he decided to convert a new model to reflect his 'new' bionic eye and bionic leg! HA! So if you like the game, you may find yourself investing a few bucks to get some bits and do some converting... maybe you go NUTS and invest some more, to make your Squad based on ForgeWorld models... like Dozer's Imperial Renegades!

Our goal is to freely SHARE our brainstorming process with everyone. We do NOT want money or donations... EVER! If you feel the need to give some money, we recommend you buy some models for YOURSELF at your local store and play even more! Very Happy

Play some games, get feedback from your friends, ask questions, post battle reports, share your experiences (good and bad), post some pictures, make suggestions... Death Squads IS your game too!

Meanwhile... await for TLRB v0.5.0... due (hopefully) on April 15th. Hey, that is the best we can do to get YOU something to be happy about Tax Day! Wink

Support Bacteria; it is the ONLY culture some people have!
Since I ask "What do you think?" to all Staff, I have included it here to save time.

DoZer Flamethrower Mordheimer Justice NEEDS to be Served! Maybe 3rd Degree burns will teach you not to Tom Sawyer me to work!

Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
valthonis

PostSubject: Re: Hello, my name is...   Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:55 pm

Well my b-day is on the 5th, so I'll just assume that V0.5.0 is a belated gift. Smile
Back to top Go down
Lord GreyWolf

PostSubject: Re: Hello, my name is...   Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:37 pm

talking of belated here is my belated ello!!!

Welcome to the Death Squad Site.

you'll find a great bunch of guys on here [well some are werid and even a few are barking mad but otherwise they are great.]

I have no idea where in the U.S you live...go figure since I am overseas and in a tiny little country....

what armies did you play in 40k?[ok since you played alot what were your favourite armies?]

glad you could join us looking forward to working with you on some projects.

Cheers
LGW
Back to top Go down
valthonis

PostSubject: Re: Hello, my name is...   Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:54 pm

Thanks! I'm in the north eastern part of Wisconsin, northern section of the US. Did I mention I'm in the north? Very Happy

As for 40k, yep, I have played a lot, but nothing after 3rd edition.
Let's see...

-Eldar: all flavors
-Marines: probably least favorite, but enjoyed the fluff of the Legion of the Damned
-Orks: Only for a short while
-Tyranids: One of my favorites
-Necrons: Prior to having an official codex, yep, I was that guy with a 1500pt army of Necrons pre-chapter approved list. Smile
-Sisters of Battle: Chapter Approved list with Adeptus Arbites filling in the role of Storm Troopers.
-Imperial Guard: Steel Legion
-Tau:
-Harlequins: Yep, I was also that guy that had 1500pts of Harlequins from the CJ list.

To be honest, I largely left the game because it never felt tactically diverse enough. I wanted fewer guys and more detail.
To put it in perspective, is anyone familiar with Babylon 5 Wars? If so you'll know what I mean, if not, this is Ship Character Sheet (SCS) for a single Earth Hyperion Cruiser.

Granted the game was complicated and you generally didn't have more than a small handful of ships, but it will give you an idea of my back ground of gaming in extremes. I rewrote the campaign rules for Babylon 5 Wars recently and have been very active in adding new races and ships.

Obviously I release that none of you want a skirmish game as complicated as B5Wars, but it should give you a full idea of my gaming background. Well that and I've played Mordhiem, Battlefleet Gothic, little bit of Infinity, and a Mordhiem 40k mock up I wrote a few years back.

As to answer your other question, my favorites in 40k.
1. Eldar Iyaden with large compliment of Wraithguard and Warpspiders
2. Tyranids
3. Sisters of Battle with Adeptus Arbites
Back to top Go down
Lord GreyWolf

PostSubject: Re: Hello, my name is...   Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:12 pm

I did see you mention where you live but I haven't a clue where Green bay is [though I have heard of the Green Bay Packers and used to watch their games when I was younger and my folks had Sky T.V]

I like the Nids as well and will be hopefully involved in the Nid squad when they show their ugly heads [that's if Mord allows anyone one to tamper with his babbies affraid ]

I do like the sisters of battle but not the GW figs. So if these beauties come to DS then I'll be looking for some sexy nun type minis to make that squad.

well you already know that I am trying to sort out the Adeptus Arbites [yes mord I know we can't do anything until later Imperial Guard Death Squads ] if you want to help then by all means just make some notes and i'll get back to you soon.

Cheers
LGW
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Hello, my name is...   Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:24 pm

Lord GreyWolf wrote:
that's if Mord allows anyone one to tamper with his babies...

My Precious...

Since I ask "What do you think?" to all Staff, I have included it here to save time.

DoZer Flamethrower Mordheimer Justice NEEDS to be Served! Maybe 3rd Degree burns will teach you not to Tom Sawyer me to work!

Back to top Go down
DeathGuard

PostSubject: Re: Hello, my name is...   Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:29 pm

Hello and a belated welcome to the awesome game that is Death Squads! I came to the game with pretty much the same approach as you - a big fan of the 40K setting but without the attention span or disposable income for big battles.

Glad to have yet another member on board though, and (especially in the last few months) it's great that the game is seeing a lot of growth!

Blood Angel Blood Angel Blood Angel
Back to top Go down
Corporal Dispensable

PostSubject: Re: Hello, my name is...   Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:37 am

Hello and welcome! Like the others, I'm looking forward to hearing a battle report or two and your general thoughts on the game.
Back to top Go down
valthonis

PostSubject: Re: Hello, my name is...   Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:39 am

I'm honestly holding off for the moment. I want to see how the new version turns out as much of my feedback from the current version might be nullified with the new release. Smile
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Hello, my name is...   Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:34 pm

Go ahead and publish it anyway... we want to know!!! Besides, it gives me something to blame when I can't finish something! HA!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hello, my name is...   Today at 1:02 pm

Back to top Go down

Hello, my name is...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Death Squads Game Forums :: Forum General Information :: Welcome Mat-
Jump to: