The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in

Share | 

WIP marines

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Citizen_Khaine

PostSubject: WIP marines   Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:49 pm

Hi folks,
some WIP pictures of the marines I’m currently converting:

Wanted them to look pre heresy with lots of studs and heavier armorplates, no “official” mk armor type. The inspiration came from a lunar wolves artwork, I’ve found on the web.
I am also working on lunar wolves shoulder pads, I think I will then replace the right shoulder pad when they are finished.

Right now, my marines look a bit too much like Rob Halford!

Neutral
Back to top Go down
Citizen_Khaine

PostSubject: Re: WIP marines   Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:59 pm

http://www.mypodcast.com/fmimage-4-165321.jpeg
Laughing

What do you guys think? More Studs? Less?

Maybe I should create a custom Space Marine Order, "priests of judas" or something like that? All covered in studs?

Hmmmmaybe!

greets
Bernhard
Back to top Go down
Laney

PostSubject: Re: WIP marines   Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:13 pm

Very nice models - clearly a lot of work has gone into these. The artwork for the luna wolves from the Heresy books is superb and I think you've made a great start in realising them. I can see some great Death Squads conversions on the way when you get going!

Where do the studs come from? - I've only ever tried them in green stuff (which I found to be a nightmare!).

Good Stuff! - Thanks for sharing cheers

Laney
Back to top Go down
Citizen_Khaine

PostSubject: Re: WIP marines   Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:56 pm

Thanks 02laney!

the studs are made of modelling putty, I use pro create.

For making studs i roll out the putty until I have a flat patch and then let it cure for some hours. I form the studs by pressing a disposable pipette tip in the putty and cutting them out afterwards.

Lots of work, I'm still searching for an alternative method!
Back to top Go down
Laney

PostSubject: Re: WIP marines   Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:12 pm

Just had a brainwave.

If you used the disposable pipette in a different way maybe you could reduce the need for trimming.

Fill the pipette with procreate and pipe out a tube of it (like icing a cake). Let it cure completely (it's about three hours with procreate isn't it?).

Then slice the tube into discs - studs created. Do you think it would work?

Disadvantages - you're bound to waste some procreate and you won't get the rounded top your method produces.

Possibly good for a whole army though.

What do you reckon?

cheers Laney
Back to top Go down
Citizen_Khaine

PostSubject: Re: WIP marines   Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:59 am

I think greenstuff/procreate is to viscous to be squeezed through the tiny nozzle of a pipette.
And you're right, I would loose the rounded top of the studs!

My method is definately nothing for a huge army, but for a customized death squad the effort is worth it!

Bernhard
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: WIP marines   Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:26 pm

OMG!!!

Those are AWESOME!!! Wow! Amazing!

Support Bacteria; it is the ONLY culture some people have!
Since I ask "What do you think?" to all Staff, I have included it here to save time.

DoZer Flamethrower Mordheimer Justice NEEDS to be Served! Maybe 3rd Degree burns will teach you not to Tom Sawyer me to work!

Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
Citizen_Khaine

PostSubject: Re: WIP marines   Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:38 am

Thanks a lot man!

To be honest, I'm quite proud of how they look, as it's the first time I mess around with sculpting putty.

But they are far from finished yet, I think the breastplates still look to plain, need some details. And I'm not completely happy with the helmets either!

The lunar wolves shoulderpads I sculpted, weren’t too good (“the mutt and a banana”) so I decided against this theme.

I’ll try to completely go for the “roman empire” look, will add olive branches to the helmets.

Anyone aware of a good website with many roman empire heraldic motives or artworks?

Cheers
Bernhard
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: WIP marines   Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:00 am

First time? You are lying! The work is PERFECT!!! Rather than sculpting the olives and other markings, you can paint them in a different (slightly darker) shade of the armor. So if your armor is a very light grey-white (mostly white), then paint the iconography on white. It would be only visible upon close inspection of the model.... check out this Golden Demon winners for inspiration... check the shoulder-pads and the SM armor.

Since I ask "What do you think?" to all Staff, I have included it here to save time.

DoZer Flamethrower Mordheimer Justice NEEDS to be Served! Maybe 3rd Degree burns will teach you not to Tom Sawyer me to work!

Back to top Go down
Citizen_Khaine

PostSubject: Re: WIP marines   Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:16 pm

Thanks again for the compliments!

The breastplate of the heavy bolter dude was the first piece I converted using the putty. The picture may not show it, but the surface is cruddy and the leg armor also has some wrinkles. That's why I gave him the fat weapon, covers most of it!

And Mordheim: You're right, in the end the paint makes the whole difference!
But since I'm only familiar with the basic techniques (drybrushing and inking), sculpted details should make it even easier to get a good result!

Right now I'm experimenting with making pressmoulds and getting some good results, the olive branches look promising!
Will post pictures in some days.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Laney

PostSubject: Re: WIP marines   Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:00 am

The quality of your procreate work is superb - and on the top marine is really smooth (particularly as it is an early attempt!). Scibor has a number of excellent tutorials on greenstuff/greystuff work, which you might find useful for press moulded parts (He also has some amazing bitz that you could use).
http://www.sciborminiatures.com/en_,sculpting.php?id=571

If you changed your mind and wanted to go lunar wolves again, chapterhouse studios have some lunar wolf-like shoulder pads at a reasonable cost.
http://chapterhousestudios.com/webshop/component/virtuemart/?category_id=17&page=shop.browse&limit=20&start=20

Keep it up - I am officially following this thread.

Cheers Laney cheers
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: WIP marines   Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:19 am

Since Laney called it first... I guess I'm fan #2! Wink

Back to top Go down
Citizen_Khaine

PostSubject: Re: WIP marines   Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:51 pm

Thanks again for the positive feedback guys and thanks for the links!

The scibor site is great, I already absorbed the tutorials, btw that's where I got the idea about pressmoulds from. Scibor makes really amazing things with this technique!

I made some laurel branches (not olives of course confused , damn botany) with pressmoulds and they make great additive details for the helmets and armor.

I will experiment some more with it and make pics, when I've produced something presentable!

Cheers
Bernhard
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: WIP marines   Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:10 pm

Screw presentable! So far we have seen your... how did you put it?
Citizen_Khaine wrote:
... it's the first time I mess around with sculpting putty.... And I'm not completely happy with the helmets either!

We loved it... POST IT! Hehehehe... seriously, take your time man. The way I see it, in few months we would be able to see your initial work and be VERY happy to see your sculpts have come from very good to LEGENDARY! As Like a Star @ heaven is born!

Back to top Go down
Citizen_Khaine

PostSubject: Re: WIP marines   Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:19 am

Thanks again for the compliments!

I was quite busy, so there's nothing new from the guys above, but here's a picture of my Scriptor:

Also still WIP, I will add studs to his legs and the staff will get some more details.

Will there be rules for Spacemarine Psykers?

Greets
Bernhard
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: WIP marines   Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:33 am

OHHHH DOZER GOT TO SEE THIS GUY!!!

... heheheh... yes. The Space Marine Scout Squad will have "The Candidate"... you know that fluff says that a Chaplain or a Librarian 'may notice someone' with potential 'who eventually is chosen to be an Apprentice'? There is nothing on how this SM gets 'noticed'... well, we took that as a room to wiggle like Sneaky Ninjas! The player will choose the path of the Candidate, and as he advances he would have to pass some some Tests of Faith (think of them as special secondary missions to be played on a Scenario that would affect BOTH players!) and he will grow in power.

The concept is the Librarian. He is a living Astartes encyclopedia... hehehe. We are leading the SMSS project, which is on hold until the release of v0.5.0, the Chaos Cultists and Kroot Squads. We are aiming high, and we will get 'em right!

Keep sculpting and working on your models. They are GREAT!!!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WIP marines   Today at 6:05 am

Back to top Go down

WIP marines
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1