Death Squads Game Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

My Eldar squad

Go down 
+11
Kiwi
Laney
Lord GreyWolf
Da Bank
Dysturbed
DeathGuard
DeafNala
Skraag
mudboy
Mordheimer
Citizen_Khaine
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Laney

Laney

My Eldar squad - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Eldar squad   My Eldar squad - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 6:56 pm

Excellent model - with great painting - the gems all catch the same light (something I always forget about). A single rune ont he forehead of the wratihguard is all that is needed to set it off - it could then be the squad symbol/rune.

Worth the effort I think

Cheers Laney
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: My Eldar squad   My Eldar squad - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 7:56 pm

My daughter JUST asked me to close my mouth.

AMAZING! Great GEMS! You are The Man of the hour! Remember to base it... WOW!!!! Great guy!!! Even for Eldar! hehehe...
Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
DeafNala

DeafNala

PostSubject: Re: My Eldar squad   My Eldar squad - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 8:27 pm

GREAT LOOKING MINI! The bone effect, jewels, everything done to PERFECTION! What a Face
Back to top Go down
Dysturbed

Dysturbed

PostSubject: Re: My Eldar squad   My Eldar squad - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 10:06 pm

Also remember to not base it on that base. You need the next bigger base because wraithguard are considered Large.
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: My Eldar squad   My Eldar squad - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 03, 2010 11:21 pm

@ Dysturbed: LOL! You are RIGHT! I'm such a dork...

@ Citizen_Khaine: May I suggest a removable base if you also have a 40k army?
Back to top Go down
Citizen_Khaine

Citizen_Khaine

PostSubject: Re: My Eldar squad   My Eldar squad - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 04, 2010 3:47 am

Thank you all for the comments!

I will consider a rune for his head, but first I want to paint all the rest of my models!

I'm having mixed feelings about the gems on the wraithguard.
Initially, I wanted to paint the gems a very pale yellow, because I thought it would blend better with the bone colour.
I tried it for two hours on a test model and could not achieve the tone I wanted to have, so in the end I did them in red.
When I finished it, my thoughts were that I completely botched up the undead look of the model. Too much blingbling for a ghost warrior! Little Frustrated

But I'm getting used to the look of it now, it is contrastful and matches the colourscheme of the rest. And I primed it yesterday anyway.

About the base:
I will do the bases all at once, when I painted some more models, sand and maybe some static grass, just the essentials.
I'm not a fan of adding tons of stuff to bases (my personal taste), sometimes it looks good, sometimes it doesn't.

I don't plan to give this guy a larger base, see no sense in it, to be honest. Sure, rulewise it's a large model, but that's represented by it's height.
For the game mechanics a larger base hardly ever makes a difference. Sometimes you could maybe move the model where it could not be moved with a larger base, but I won't take advantage of that.

Maybe I'll add a removable plasticard circle under it's base at some point just for the few occations where it matters.

Cheers
Bernhard

Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: My Eldar squad   My Eldar squad - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 04, 2010 5:15 am

The removable base idea is a good one (maybe magnetised if you get the time). On the gems - I personally think they are perfect because they tie in to the rest of your squad so well - however for an 'undead' look did you consider green gems (with a gentle touch of OSL on key spots) to create an undead feel. Plus, if you felt really creative you could paint a pale eldar face within the rune to represent the soul of the eldar (just an idea Just Kidding )

Cool eldar - who'd have thought it!

cheers
Back to top Go down
Citizen_Khaine

Citizen_Khaine

PostSubject: Re: My Eldar squad   My Eldar squad - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 04, 2010 6:07 am

I have considered green gems, tried some on the test model, but I had only light greens at my hands (scorpion green and snot green) , so I decided against it.

What's OSL btw?

Cool idea about the eldar face in a rune, but I'm not very good at painting such details, maybe I'll try something like this later.
Right now my aim is to get my squad finished. When I've done that, there's my lunar wolves project waiting!
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: My Eldar squad   My Eldar squad - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 04, 2010 6:45 am

OSL stands for object source lighting. In other words adding the glow from something to the surroundings - for example the glow of a fire brand onto the clothes of the character wearing it.

I've done one or two semi successful efforts - and I plan to do more in the future.

Back to top Go down
Mordoten

PostSubject: Re: My Eldar squad   My Eldar squad - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 04, 2010 2:35 pm

Dysturbed>> Very OT now, but your new DS banner is f**king awesome!!!
Back to top Go down
Citizen_Khaine

Citizen_Khaine

PostSubject: Re: My Eldar squad   My Eldar squad - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 7:53 am

Object source lighting is something I'd really like to try in the future, but I think it is best used on very dark models and with a single lightsource that sheds light on the model from a defined point (like a torch or glowing weapon), with too many sources it would be very hard to get it right.

Best OSL I've seen till now is this model:
http://coolminiornot.com/111965

My Eldar squad - Page 3 RamosPost

That's perfection in every aspect IMHO.
It's only 4 colours!!!

Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: My Eldar squad   My Eldar squad - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 10:39 am

Perfection indeed! WOW!
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: My Eldar squad   My Eldar squad - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 05, 2010 3:59 pm

That is truly superb - simplicity works so well. OSL definitely does work better on dark models (so maybe not for your eldar then (they look cool anyway).

Cheers Laney cheers
Back to top Go down
Citizen_Khaine

Citizen_Khaine

PostSubject: Re: My Eldar squad   My Eldar squad - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 10:56 am

The next one is painted!
My banshee aspirant:
My Eldar squad - Page 3 Aspirant1-bemalt
I forgot to add some gems when I did the armorplates, I realized it when she was half painted .Shocked
Anyway, I like the model, even though the facial expression is too cute and harmless.
I made the face using a pressmould from a reaper fantasy miniature.
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: My Eldar squad   My Eldar squad - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 11:39 am

WOW! You have some talent man! Keep working at it... GREAT!!!!
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: My Eldar squad   My Eldar squad - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 3:59 am

Great - another ace addition to the squad - you see more subtle painting on her the longer you look - I particularly like the layering on the greys. What was the press mould made from? What did you cast in? (I've been playing around with resin with limited success recently).

Keep it up!

Laney
Back to top Go down
Citizen_Khaine

Citizen_Khaine

PostSubject: Re: My Eldar squad   My Eldar squad - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 4:26 am

Thanks guys!

some of the details don't show in the picture, the gloss varnish reflects the flash of the camera. I will add another coat of matte varnish.

The pressmould and cast were both made from modelling putty, I used water as "release agent".
It works, but not very well. Lot's of trial and error.

You have to remove the cast while it is still soft, which bears a high risk of distorting the details.
Also, the details in general do not come out very sharp using my method, works best for stuff like ornamented armorplates (scibor Very Happy).

It was good enough to get the right proportions for the face, but I had to remodel the overall shape, the nose and of course add the hair.

It's not an efficient method to copy parts of other models.

Cheers
Bernhard

Back to top Go down
DeafNala

DeafNala

PostSubject: Re: My Eldar squad   My Eldar squad - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 7:43 am

Citizen_Khaine wrote:
Anyway, I like the model, even though the facial expression is too cute and harmless.

It will lull her opponents into a false sense of security. Suspect

EXCELLENT WORK! My only critique would be that her hair color is too close to the red on her armor...you might try an orangish dry brush for highlights. Other than that minor point, VERY WELL DONE! What a Face
Back to top Go down
Citizen_Khaine

Citizen_Khaine

PostSubject: Re: My Eldar squad   My Eldar squad - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 6:44 pm

Very Happy
The whole "psychosonic amplifier" thing is made up by the imperium anyway!
That's what the surviving imperial guards tell their wifes at home after being crushed in a battle against eldar banshees.

Reality is more like:
Hey baby, nice cans... err cannon! I meant cannon! ... slash slash .. .urrgh...
Laughing

... enough of that.

You're right, the contrast between hair and suit could be stronger.
There is a little bit of an orange hightlight as well as a white one, under sunlight it is apparent, but it's not very strong and the picture doesn't show it because of the flash.
Next time I'll highlight some more!

Cheers
Bernhard
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: My Eldar squad   My Eldar squad - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 10:46 pm

Well, take a look at this tutorial about photographing minis... then at this other tutorial. GREAT info to take AMAZING pictures... your models deserve the very best! They are both easy, and you can get GREAT results.
Back to top Go down
Kiwi

Kiwi

PostSubject: Re: My Eldar squad   My Eldar squad - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 17, 2010 12:21 am

Very nice!
Back to top Go down
Citizen_Khaine

Citizen_Khaine

PostSubject: Re: My Eldar squad   My Eldar squad - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 10, 2010 12:03 pm

It's going slow, but there is progress!
I finished the painting and basing of my squadleader.
His banner is still undone, will reattach it when it's finished.
My Eldar squad - Page 3 Chef_bemalt
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: My Eldar squad   My Eldar squad - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 10, 2010 12:53 pm

By the Web-Gates to Terra! That model is AWESOME! Very cool guy! Nice gauged eye... AMAZING!
Back to top Go down
way-of-the-warrior

way-of-the-warrior

PostSubject: Re: My Eldar squad   My Eldar squad - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 10, 2010 2:29 pm

you put my eldar to shame this is a true honor to khaine
awsome sauce rating of 9.5/10
w-o-t-w
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: My Eldar squad   My Eldar squad - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 10, 2010 5:44 pm

That is the toughest, meanest, hardest looking eldar I have ever seen - great work. The quality is all in the detail of the painting - you look close and you see why it looks so real.

Keep them coming!

Laney cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Eldar squad   My Eldar squad - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My Eldar squad
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next