Death Squads Game Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Prisoner Exchange - WiP Photos!

Go down 
+20
The ISH
cody20
VonHagel
StyrofoamKing
Lord GreyWolf
dr!zzt
moggd
Kiwi
Skeller
edward
Da Eavy
mudboy
MathiasDark
way-of-the-warrior
Laney
Sandormen
DoZer
Da Bank
Dysturbed
Mordheimer
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

Prisoner Exchange - WiP Photos! - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Prisoner Exchange - WiP Photos!   Prisoner Exchange - WiP Photos! - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 11:03 am

BAD MUDBOY!!! I still get a chuckle at the Avatar... hehehe... BAD MONKEY! You show me the Bunny Slippers NOW!!! Hhehehe

For those wanting Grotz... Check The ISH's Contribution... it is AMAZING!
Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
moggd

moggd

PostSubject: Re: Prisoner Exchange - WiP Photos!   Prisoner Exchange - WiP Photos! - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 11:37 am

Minor setback, after building my first base, I went to get my paints, (which I haven't used in almost 2 years and most of them are bone dry) DAMN YOU PHOENIX HEAT.
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Prisoner Exchange - WiP Photos!   Prisoner Exchange - WiP Photos! - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 12:02 pm

AHAHAH! Sorry... hehehehe... a friend of mine visited Phoenix in the summer... made himself a sandwish and put it ourside (noon) for 1 minutes. He said that he had a white toast. After two minutes, it was a hard white toast and melted cheese. I can see your paints being dust!
Back to top Go down
VonHagel

VonHagel

PostSubject: Re: Prisoner Exchange - WiP Photos!   Prisoner Exchange - WiP Photos! - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 12:41 pm

Maybe you can keep them in the cooler? that would also be extremely nerdy and good, when people open your fridge and find it's full of miniature paints haha
Back to top Go down
moggd

moggd

PostSubject: Re: Prisoner Exchange - WiP Photos!   Prisoner Exchange - WiP Photos! - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 3:28 pm

@ Mordheimer Yah it is far to hot here in the summer. Why oh why do I stay???

@ VonHagel LOL I lost out to my wife on keeping them in the closet, somehow I don't think the refrigerator will fly. Maybe I should and see how long it takes her to notice.

I ran to a Hobby Lobby and found a 16 pack of acrylic paints for a reasonable price, so now it's time to start watering them down and mixing colors to get what I need.
Back to top Go down
way-of-the-warrior

way-of-the-warrior

PostSubject: Re: Prisoner Exchange - WiP Photos!   Prisoner Exchange - WiP Photos! - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 4:34 pm

here is some pics of my finished p.e model please be really brutally honest on what you think wont be offended Smile

Prisoner Exchange - WiP Photos! - Page 8 P1010114

Prisoner Exchange - WiP Photos! - Page 8 P1010115

Prisoner Exchange - WiP Photos! - Page 8 P1010116

and my signiture as i cant write in paint and aint got right pens

Prisoner Exchange - WiP Photos! - Page 8 P1010117

W-O-T-W

(plz be brutal wid comments)
Back to top Go down
VonHagel

VonHagel

PostSubject: Re: Prisoner Exchange - WiP Photos!   Prisoner Exchange - WiP Photos! - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 5:18 pm

Way of the warrior since you have asked us to be brutally honest, I shall be frank with you,

I am being frank with you because I hope you can take it, and if you can then it is by far the way to increase your skills the fastest, instead of 10 people telling you it's great, when you could be learning from being told your mistakes, again I hope you do not take offence, if you do, do not read the following.

First of all let me complement you on the base, the rock on the base are placed very well as it enhances the feel of the models pose, this is very good work, the heads are another story.

The heads on the base are the biggest issue, as they are a good idea and close to being good, but the biggest break of realism is that the heads still have the socket bob underneath them, this instantly transports the viewer, to thinking of the model as a piece of plastic and not at a diorama.

The red on the sword which I presume is blood, need to be more defined, splatter would be good for realism but the most glaring issue with this is that when you look at the figure it just seems red, red like half of the models cloths, I would suggest blood splatter effect and a darker tone (as the blood that comes from intestines are very dark in real life.

Layers of highlights, I doesn't seem like you have made any, this is technique that you should add to your arsenal as soon as possible, it is done by applying layers of brighter colour to the edges of the individual pieces on the model. And is a technique used by beginner and master alike to great effect

Thinned your paints, this goes hand in hands with the layering you can't do multiple layers that look good unless you thin your paints, and believe me just the flow of the the paint on the model will make it so much more enjoyable to paint. This is also vital to keep the models details looking crisp and clean and not clogged and messy.

I would like to see a close up of the body taken from a slightly from below, as I cannot comment the face.

All in all I must say you can be very proud of yourself considering your age this is very very good, and remember no matter how long you have been painting there is always something to work on.
Back to top Go down
way-of-the-warrior

way-of-the-warrior

PostSubject: Re: Prisoner Exchange - WiP Photos!   Prisoner Exchange - WiP Photos! - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 5:27 pm

thanks i asked u to be brutal tht was it really helped and also thee sword isnt blood ill explain i when i make fluff if u look at the bod the paint in diagonals so the sword is a sword i call the sun sword and the gun is a solar blaste.

will learn the techniques just need a link to a toutorial plus face is just silver cz he wearing mask.

thanks Smile
w-o-t-w
Back to top Go down
MathiasDark

MathiasDark

PostSubject: Re: Prisoner Exchange - WiP Photos!   Prisoner Exchange - WiP Photos! - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 5:39 pm

Shocked I'm gone for a day & EVERYONE...These prisoners are amazing!
@Mord: That's awesome man XD
Back to top Go down
VonHagel

VonHagel

PostSubject: Re: Prisoner Exchange - WiP Photos!   Prisoner Exchange - WiP Photos! - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 5:41 pm

I found this guide for you, it seems to cover highlighting

[url= http://www.coolminiornot.com/article/aid/89/page/1] http://www.coolminiornot.com/article/aid/89/page/1[/url]

My most sound advice to you would be to get your hands on the painting video by P3

you can see a teaser here http://privateerpress.com/formula-p3

It's really good, and even taught me a few news things
Back to top Go down
way-of-the-warrior

way-of-the-warrior

PostSubject: Re: Prisoner Exchange - WiP Photos!   Prisoner Exchange - WiP Photos! - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 5:48 pm

tyvm von hagel
Back to top Go down
Lord GreyWolf

Lord GreyWolf

PostSubject: Re: Prisoner Exchange - WiP Photos!   Prisoner Exchange - WiP Photos! - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 6:01 pm

@ Way-of-the-warrior: even an ink wash would give it some shadowing....then when that dries pick out the muscles with a birghter colour and just lighten the paint up.but remeber to only addit to the top bitz.

for example.if you were to do the arms and shoulders. they should look dark under the arms then get lighter as the light moves up over the shoulder.... so you would use dark red base, brown ink wash then use the base coat mixed with the mid tone [a brighter red then the base] to pick the details out of the arms [fabric,muscles etc] when thats dry use more mid tone in your colour and only pick out the sections that light will touch. [eg top of the fore arm,back of the hand.] but remember to leave some of the base coat showing around the edges. so effectively you'd almost see a ring patteren on the muscle/fabric going from dark to lightest. once you have done all of the colours you want a thinned down brown wash [you could use a black wash instead] over the area would blend the colours together.

its what I do and it sometimes works. just depends if you can be bothered hand painting each section, abbs, pads, etc....

the other option is this:

paint each section in the base coat you want. [eg boots brown, pants red, blue top etc etc] then get a pot of charcaol/brown wood stain [gloss] attach the mini to a paint stirer and dunk into said pot of stain. attach the stirer to a drill and spin the excess stain off. stand and let dry.

i think Mord has something on here for a Terminator. one of the guys from boardgamegeks did a tutorial here it is:

How to paint a Terminator in 15minutes

not sure if you have to be registered to view it but hey give it a whirl....

hope this helps...... I am still a beginner/amateur/noob/bad/lazy/ painter myself and still have heaps of stuff to learn.Sometimes I have a good day other times I wish I could have a fraction of the skills some theseguys have on here....I'd be a great painter then.........

Cheers
LGW
Back to top Go down
way-of-the-warrior

way-of-the-warrior

PostSubject: Re: Prisoner Exchange - WiP Photos!   Prisoner Exchange - WiP Photos! - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 6:04 pm

ty lgw
Back to top Go down
Lord GreyWolf

Lord GreyWolf

PostSubject: Re: Prisoner Exchange - WiP Photos!   Prisoner Exchange - WiP Photos! - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 6:19 pm

way-of-the-warrior wrote:
ty lgw

no probs mate.... good effort though. As VonHagel said just keep working on it. look at those tutorials and see what you can try and do. start small and work your way up.

Cheers
LGW
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Prisoner Exchange - WiP Photos!   Prisoner Exchange - WiP Photos! - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 7:22 pm

@ way-of-the-warrior: ABOVE ALL... I want to salute you; you are THE embodiment of this event; the Quest for Self Improvement and the Sharing of such Journey! BRAVO! Prisoner Exchange - WiP Photos! - Page 8 509466

Now... based on the techniques I see you using, the model is good. Now you could transcend and aim for the next level. We are all in this journey, and it is a hard one. Do NOT be discouraged! Few people understand how difficult is to put one's imagination and vision on a model... you can't be a concert pianist without years of practice. You are just starting your journey and you do not suffer from the 'tremors' like some of us do (I shake like a leaf, until I start painting... then it kindda stops! Shocked ) It will be VERY cool to see how you become better and better with every model. My advice...

1) HAVE NO FEAR! The model will not kill you because it does not look perfect! Just Kidding Try different things and push your skills.

2) ONE THING AT A TIME! When you try many things at the same time, you become "Jack of All Trades, Master of None." Try one technique at a time.

3) BASING Like VonHagel said, your base structure is VERY good. It enhances the model's dynamic pose. Now, what I will say it will probably anger you or confuse you (or both)... when you use natural elements for basing, you have to paint them. WTF!?! I know... it aggravates me to no end! Mad If you remember that painting miniatures is about creating an illusion for the observer, then it makes sense. If you can't paint grains of sand that look like dirt (each grain of sand is a different color!) then leaving the sand 'natural' would break the illusion, because it will make the model look fake. Next time, paint the slate dark great and drybrush two coats of lighter greys. It will look natural and enhance the colors of the model. Smile

4) FLAT COLORS. Like VonHagel indicates, make sure that your base colors (like the flat yellow and red) are thin... multiple layers will do better than one thick one. This is the most basic technique that everyone needs to dominate. The model is not bad... I'm just saying. This technique is important, because when you move to other 'advanced techniques' this kind of brush control will make your life easier.

5) DRY BRUSHING. This is the 2nd basic technique that you will naturally learn. There are 4 billion tutorials... easy to learn, hard to master. I painted my 1st model on 1989... make my 1st 'serious' effort in 1993, learned about dry-brushing in 1994... and I STILL have problems with it. Practice with obvious models (with fur). In case of your prisoner, the rocks on the base could had used some. This technique helps to define 'raised' elements like the top of the fur or hair.

6) WASH. Sometimes referred by old timers as inking. LGW's style is heavily based on it, and he is good at it. This is produce the opposite effect of dry brushing, painting the 'lowered' and deep sections of the model. It helps defining muscle and other details.

7) DIPPING. Now, there is a 'cheat' technique that you could use on your model. It is call Dipping. Read the tutorial I wrote (Dipping Tutorial, Dipping Project) You could 'dip' the model (use a brush, please!) and all the flat base colors will suddenly be defined. Your model could be coated in 15 minutes (do it OUTSIDE in a dry day) and let the piece dry for at least 24 hours (any less and you will regret it!) Then you can spray-paint the Matt Finish, to dull the gloss of the dip (is a glossy varnish!) Your model will look spectacular. The dip actually forgives the errors that novice can make (little extra paint here or there) while defines the model (muscles, imitates black lining, etc). The heads on the base will look more 'real' and the whole model will 'normalize'... the parts that are super detailed (the heads) will get tones down and the parts that are simple (like the model's yellow arm) will get details.

8 ) BLOOD SPLATTER It took me a while to realize what I was doing wrong with my blood splatter. Like you, I was painting it. It looks unnatural, because it is so difficult to do. The easiest (and most effective) way to do this is by water-down paint! Take some red and mix with a brown wash (ink)... half and half. Then take a brush with short and hard bristles, and load it. Then put it over the area you want the blood and run your finger over the bristles... bend the bottom up and let the bristles spring back. The watery paint will 'jump out' of the stiff bristles and land on the model... instant blood splatter! Then add some more red and repeat... remember, LESS IS MORE! Two layers is usually more than enough.

Over all, I think that you should paint the base (removing the painted blood) and drybrush the rock. Then 'dip' the model. Once it is dry, do the blood splatter. Then spray with matt finish... finally put some static grass between some of the rock slate. You are closer to the next level than you think. Trust me... do that, and I guarantee you that you will cry of joy when you see the pictures of before and after... and hate yourself for having to ship the model away! THAT is the symbol of a job well done! Just Kidding Thanks for sharing your journey!
Back to top Go down
Da Bank

Da Bank

PostSubject: Re: Prisoner Exchange - WiP Photos!   Prisoner Exchange - WiP Photos! - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeTue May 25, 2010 9:19 pm

I would also like to give kuds to Way of the Warrior...as this really awesome to ask for critical feedback and to take it. You earned some major KUDOS from me. Great job soldier!!
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Prisoner Exchange - WiP Photos!   Prisoner Exchange - WiP Photos! - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeFri May 28, 2010 4:11 am

@ way-of-the-warrior: I would suggest that you check out 02laney's AMAZING tutorial on inks.

http://www.deathsquadsgame.com/tutorials-f19/painting-black-using-washes-commissar-demartin-t671.htm#7065

You will benefit from it! Wink
Back to top Go down
mudboy

mudboy

PostSubject: Re: Prisoner Exchange - WiP Photos!   Prisoner Exchange - WiP Photos! - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeFri May 28, 2010 3:03 pm

Ha ha ha my daughter saw my prisoner and giggled 'He's wearing soft bunny slippers. Did he forget to put on his warrior boots when he got up in the morning?' Laughing
Back to top Go down
moggd

moggd

PostSubject: Re: Prisoner Exchange - WiP Photos!   Prisoner Exchange - WiP Photos! - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeFri May 28, 2010 3:22 pm

HA that's funny, can't wait to see him. You know it has to be good if it's charming the kids.
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Prisoner Exchange - WiP Photos!   Prisoner Exchange - WiP Photos! - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeFri May 28, 2010 4:16 pm

HAHAHAH!!!! See? I told you man! BUNNY SLIPPERS!!!!
Back to top Go down
DoZer

DoZer

PostSubject: Re: Prisoner Exchange - WiP Photos!   Prisoner Exchange - WiP Photos! - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeSat May 29, 2010 3:32 pm

Just a quick update on my prisoner. I ended up placing him in a 60mm base to allow for a greater.....diorama if you will. I plan on flocking it with some small gravel in places, but the majority of it will be static grass.......

I will not give away what I plan to do with the grass, but I'll give a hint.....take a look at the UM shoulder pad that is currently on the base.....That should give you a general idea....

Anyways....The marine is done....the UM pad is done.....the nurgle icon needs some work still....primarily on the slime and ooze dripping off of it.

Here ya go!!

Prisoner Exchange - WiP Photos! - Page 8 101_0140

Prisoner Exchange - WiP Photos! - Page 8 101_0139

Prisoner Exchange - WiP Photos! - Page 8 101_0141
Back to top Go down
dr!zzt

dr!zzt

PostSubject: Re: Prisoner Exchange - WiP Photos!   Prisoner Exchange - WiP Photos! - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeSat May 29, 2010 3:41 pm

Very nice! I like his ugly bastard!
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Prisoner Exchange - WiP Photos!   Prisoner Exchange - WiP Photos! - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeSat May 29, 2010 5:25 pm

WOW! That guy looks awesome! Excellent work...
Back to top Go down
VonHagel

VonHagel

PostSubject: Re: Prisoner Exchange - WiP Photos!   Prisoner Exchange - WiP Photos! - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeSat May 29, 2010 6:52 pm

great work Dozer, putting him on a larger base is a really good idea, and extra points for the fact you can remove him from it, so you can still use him.

I really like your colour scheme for him, the grey-green remsembles rotten flesh very well (yai if you use the colour of the same name) and it's a good contrast to the brown detail, which has a uncanny resemblance to scarbs.

The eyes of the model I couldn't quite find out if I liked at first, they are very dark, and usualy I would advice making them brighter or make a white dot to add detail, But once I got to look at it, I think it set a really mood for the model to have so dark eyes, like dead, or ligeless eyes staring banefully ahead...

Solid peice of work, keep us updated
Back to top Go down
DoZer

DoZer

PostSubject: Re: Prisoner Exchange - WiP Photos!   Prisoner Exchange - WiP Photos! - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeSat May 29, 2010 8:49 pm

Thank you guys for the comments!

VonHagel wrote:

The eyes of the model I couldn't quite find out if I liked at first, they are very dark, and usualy I would advice making them brighter or make a white dot to add detail, But once I got to look at it, I think it set a really mood for the model to have so dark eyes, like dead, or ligeless eyes staring banefully ahead...

To be honest......I had every intention on painting his eyes. I tend to paint from largest items to smallest......and I usually start with the torso and end with.....the eyes....

BUT.....after completing the armor and the pustules I felt that the dark brooding eyes fit the model so much better than any painted eyes I could ever do.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Prisoner Exchange - WiP Photos!   Prisoner Exchange - WiP Photos! - Page 8 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Prisoner Exchange - WiP Photos!
Page 8 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next