Death Squads Game Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Mordheim(er) Settings

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
StyrofoamKing

StyrofoamKing

Mordheim(er) Settings Empty
PostSubject: Mordheim(er) Settings   Mordheim(er) Settings I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 08, 2010 11:10 pm

Hey, Heimer, I spent a good hour on your OLD site.

I'm doing my best to coax my local group into picking up DS, but there's a good chance that I can't convince them... the one guy I got to play with liked it, but the otehrs have seemed relunctant to meet up for a test game. Maybe timing has been bad, or maybe they're trying to send me a hint.

So, I'm back into the Mordheim books, trying to find a fun new setting for us to play with... and one that doesn't need me there all that much (I'll be busy most meetings... soon, I start rehersal for the Maryland Renaissance Faire), so I was thinking Sylvania.

MY THOUGHTS
Setting: Brahm's setting is a neat set up, but not very detailed. It has maybe 3 rules, all of which involve paying more money. I might add a few more rules, like Holy Weapons, Silver Bullets, what HS fit the setting (like Witchs & the Cursed Hillman), and start pulling scenarios.

Warbands: Here's my thoughts-

Three categories to pick, with about the same number in each:

GOOD
Witch Hunters
Mercenaries (Have option of switching a Champ out for a Priest of Morr)
Vampire Hunters (killer shrike's, brahms, or both... can't decide)
(Not sure about what else... Sisters? Kislevs, as Brahm has a lot of 'kislev border' stuff in his scenarios?)

EVIL
Orcs
Possessed
Beastmen
(Not sure what else... sadly, the old 'Grave Robber' band from Brahm's sight was a bit of a let down... maybe the Skaven?)

UNDEAD
Undead
Liche's Retinue (BTB... haven't played this one)
The Fallen (from Relics... a bit strong, but need a nerf... maybe all of the Hench have Animosity? they are savage ghouls, after all)
Brahm's Necrarch Warband

Anything else?
Back to top Go down
http://tangentartists.com/
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Mordheim(er) Settings   Mordheim(er) Settings I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2010 11:32 am

I agree... Brahm's setting is a good idea, not finished. Felt very rushed... it is Mordheim-in-Raveloft... a count-as skin. Same thing with Lustria (Mordheim-in-the-Jungle).

BTW... the OLD site is The Mordheimer's Information Centre (www.mordheimer.com). I should update it... they day AFTER we finished Death Squads! HA!

Tell your buddies that Death Squads brings the best of Mordheim, Necromunda and other skirmish games to the 40k universe. They can play with IGs if they do not like other 40k races. Tell them that THE Mordheimer said "Play Death Squads ... you will like it!" HA!
Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
StyrofoamKing

StyrofoamKing

PostSubject: Re: Mordheim(er) Settings   Mordheim(er) Settings I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2010 4:05 pm

Mordheimer wrote:
I agree... Brahm's setting is a good idea, not finished. Felt very rushed... it is Mordheim-in-Raveloft... a count-as skin.

Agreed. I had the foresight to DL all of the Sylvannia scenarios (they had a theme and a progression!) but don't have anything saying which ORDER they go in... A large shame that.

Quote :
Same thing with Lustria (Mordheim-in-the-Jungle).

I disagree... I thought it was a nice adaption, and really set the bar for every expansion after it. New warbands, a loft of fluffy rules (weather, hazards, aquatic), and a new Exploration chart. Not perfect, but a great start (the website had a few more goodies too, like minor artifacts.)

To be honest, if I wrote a Mordheim(er) Settings 778760 setting as good as Lustria, I'd be damn proud.

To me, I find the following things are good in a setting:

1. Every restriction is countered by a bonus
This definitely shows up in Khemri... every warband slowly dies of water loss, with no "positive" factor to balance it out. Meaning, any warbnad designed for any other setting is inherently weak (Tomb Guardians), and all warbands slowly suffer.

Sylvannia, as written, has this... the towns are poor (sell Stone at +1 warband category), and are at +2 rarity to find anything. The 'poor thing' should be SWITCHED. You sell Stone for a BETTER price, because everyone around you is so poor, that you can buy everything cheap. Thus, your guys are rolling in dough, but can't spend it ('cause they have nothing in the villages but rusty pitchforks and torches).

2. Grant a TINY bonus to "fluff" based warbands.

When I did Sartosa, I made a bunch of items to improve Gunpowder weapons. Was a Crossbow still a better weapon? Most of the time. But if there's a SLIGHTLY more even footing, players will choose the one that "fits" with the setting.

For Sylvannia, Holy warbands might start off with a free "Silver Weapon" (+1 Injury to Vamps, or something), while Undead warbands (any type) have 1D3 zombies each game / at set up. Something. Thus, players are encouraged to play the "appropriate" warbands. You could play skaven, but they don't receive the bonus. Not so great a difference that they'll automatically lose, but they should get the sense: "you are not welcome here... this is not your war. Enter at your own risk."

3. Use the "treasure" for more than just a token.

(Secretly, this is one thing DS could work on, one of these days).

Wyrdstone has such a story behind it, everyone knows EXACTLY why people are grabbing it, and why it's so important. If it's "random treasure", it doesn't carry the same weight. If it's SOLELY an income, than the flavor is lost... if it has a second function (Alchemist, Power of the Stones, etc), than that has more than one value, each of which adds to the story. For Sartosa, I had them equal "crates" which contained random loot. In athel loren, you could use a resource ("acorns", I think), to reroll a death. This makes it stronger.

BTW... the OLD site is The Mordheimer's Information Centre (www.mordheimer.com). I should update it... they day AFTER we finished Death Squads! HA!

Quote :
Tell your buddies that Death Squads brings the best of Mordheim, Necromunda and other skirmish games to the 40k universe. They can play with IGs if they do not like other 40k races.

Well, I think they're starting to come around. We currently meet every other Wednes, so I think we'll try DS on the off weeks... at least, until I start having Ren Faire rehearsal. I pray it hooks them enough that it'll keep going without me, otherwise it might have to wait till fall. Mordheim(er) Settings Icon_neutral

Quote :
Tell them that THE Mordheimer said "Play Death Squads ... you will like it!" HA!

Uh, yes... but I want to ENCOURAGE them to play.
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Mordheim(er) Settings   Mordheim(er) Settings I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 11, 2010 8:14 pm

What I mean by 'Mordheim-in-the-Jungle' is that Lustria uses the same principle of 'looking for something' as Mordheim. The new Warbands are GREAT... but since they were just trying to make sense of the system (without the explanations of why things costs what they do) some of the Warbands are somewhat off balanced (Dark Elves are a great example) For the resources they had, the work is AMAZING.

We got lucky that we are making our own 'ground rules' so we have creative control of the balancing.

Mordheimer wrote:
Tell them that THE Mordheimer said "Play Death Squads ... you will like it!" HA!
StyrofoamKing wrote:
Uh, yes... but I want to ENCOURAGE them to play.

Touché!
Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
StyrofoamKing

StyrofoamKing

PostSubject: Re: Mordheim(er) Settings   Mordheim(er) Settings I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 12, 2010 3:25 pm

Looking for Something: Yes, but that's just the McGuffin! EVERY good story needs a McGuffin! It's essential! Mordheim(er) Settings Icon_tongue
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MacGuffin

Sadly, Lustria didn't really explore what the Treasures could do enough, but at least they established that they had a history and a signifigance to everyone.

Balance: It was not perfect mind you, but I think the DEs were one of the most balanced Elf bands in Mord. Compared to the Shadow Elves and some of the fan-made dark elf reduxes, they were great.

With that in mind, I almost wonder if we should "bundle" the upcoming squads into themes, to go with a setting. The Arbites, RTs and the 'Stealers might be a "package pdf". You have 1 lawmaker and two criminal groups (and the last two fit into FiCQ perfectly.) Also, "it's the good, the bad, and the ugly!" Throw in the CQ maps and some new Hired Guns, and you have an outerspace expansion!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mordheim(er) Settings   Mordheim(er) Settings I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mordheim(er) Settings
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Death Squads Game Forums :: Other War Games :: Fantasy Wargames-
Jump to: