Death Squads Game Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Eldar vs Renegades

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
styggisen

styggisen

Eldar vs Renegades Empty
PostSubject: Eldar vs Renegades   Eldar vs Renegades I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 04, 2010 1:47 pm

Hello here is my first battle report, Eldar vs Dark Mechanicum (Renegade Imperial Guard)

Scenario, Governor Assassination. (1 real target and four decoys for the attacker to kill)

Setup
Eldar (Mordoten) Attacker; Imperial Renegade (me) Defender
Almost all the Governors (bloodbowl zombies) rolled 7+ at setup making them easy targets for the assassins. The Eldar divided its force in two halves, aiming at the two “fastest” governors, while two exodites took aim at the square from a roof. My forces spread out and tried to get as much protection as possible while still trying to protect the targets.

Eldar vs Renegades PICT3704
Summertime=Outdoors cheers

TURN 1
The Eldar advances and manage to miss their two sitting targets but in return an Aspirant lands a lucky shot from the rocks and kills my leader Sad . While the elder advanced I smiled as they failed to notice my flamer lurking behind a barrel, two elder burned away while the third managed to slip away.
Eldar kill score: Leader OOA, 1 Stun. Renegades: 1 Officer OOA, 1 Recruits OOA, 1 Stun.

Eldar vs Renegades PICT3707
Flamer making the eldar sorry for their close formation Rifle

TURN 2
Time for slaughter. The Eldar barley moves, unleashing a lot of shurikens. (almost all elder were equipped with shuriken pistols) 3 men goes down including my precious flamer. The only joy being that Mordotens lousy snipers once again fails to hit their targets. The renegades try to concentrate their fire but needs to move in closer to get in rapid(2 shots) fire range. The result being a lot of misses (5+ to hit) but one recruit does his job and finishes of an Eldar forcing them to take rout tests (never fails Ld 9…)
Eldar kill score: 2 governors OOA, 1 Flamer OOA. Renegades: 1 Officer OOA

Eldar vs Renegades PICT3706
snipers having a grand view but still can't hit anything

TURN 3
The Eldar stays put and fires again. The remaining governors is relatively safe but the persons guarding them goes down. Aiming at my officers from elevated positions seems like their strategy. The Renegades answer by stunning one of the exodites with a critical hit making him stagger backwards into his doom, falling 6” and breaking his back. Another well aimed shot kills the other sniper. On the other flank a worker is laying down covering fire for my sergeant but does the job a little too good killing his target .
Eldar kill score: Preacher OOA, Sergeant OOA. Renegades: 2 Exodites OOA

Eldar vs Renegades PICT3709
Striking scorpion gets knocked down, his red plume is barley showing at he end of the tunnel Very Happy

Eldar vs Renegades PICT3711
Exodite with a not so grand view LOL

TURN 4-6
With not that many warrior left the Eldar tries to hunt down the remaining governors (none of us had any intention of playing with these squads again therefore the fight until the end.) The Renegades struggle to keep up with the governors and the Eldar blasting away at 5+ not doing a lot of damage.
Eldar kill score: 1 governor OOA Renegades: Exarch OOA
Eldar voluntarily routs.

Eldar vs Renegades PICT3719
Renegade seargent tries to take on the exarch, not so good Crying or Very sad

Eldar vs Renegades PICT3714
Trying to get some more governors down, but he keeps running away.

CONCLUSION
The Eldar manage to kill 3 governors, and needed to roll higher than 9 in three attempts to win. The first roll being 11 made me sad Wink.

Defeat arghh! But what have we learned?

Shuriken Catapults rules, Strength 4 weapons is very powerful. And as the Eldar starts out with so few soldiers we both agreed that shuriken pistols all out is the way to go if you want to be a real powergamer Wink

The scenario rules regarding the starting positions is a bit harsh, making the governors start 2D6 of makes them hard to defend properly. And as the defender you have to spread out not knowing where the enemy will strike + starting in an empty square makes it even harder. (in our game it also made the terrain(and some cover) reachable for all the eldar in the first turn while some of the defenders had to run across the square to reach the attackers.
Also the possibility to walk off the table edge, for the defender, with a governor is a little bit unclear, the only hint that it is possible is in the experience reward section I think.

Critical hits occurred a lot, next time we will have the crit-tables on a loose sheet.

The game was a lot more static then what we thought it would be. With almost all fighters at BS 3 we both opted to stand still and fire away, instead of moving around. With pistols the “penalty” is even greater, losing one shot and get -1.

At a whole we were both very satisfied with the game and will try out different starting squads before we go on and begin our campaign.

Hope you all enjoyed the tale.

/styggisen
Back to top Go down
Dysturbed

Dysturbed

Eldar vs Renegades Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eldar vs Renegades   Eldar vs Renegades I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 04, 2010 2:47 pm

AWESOME battle report. I partiularly like the way you did a kill count after every turn.

And yes Shar Pistol is the way to go for sure!!!. unless you are up against a high armor opponet then the las pistol could be useful.

Did eldar feel left out not being able to have a flamer in this game? Or even feel that they where missing heavy weapons? Or did the ranged weapons ability of the exodites counteract that? I am looking at the eldar squad carefully (for future changes) right now so do let me know anything you notice.
Back to top Go down
styggisen

styggisen

Eldar vs Renegades Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eldar vs Renegades   Eldar vs Renegades I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 04, 2010 3:07 pm

Thanks.

Hard to tell anything about that , haven't tried out anything but fresh teams so I've yet to see the shuriken catapult at large.

Quote :
Or did the ranged weapons ability of the exodites counteract that?
Have I missed something Shocked or do you mean the infiltrate/lasgun "combo". Cool So far I think the exodites is a good unit, it keeps you away from going catapults all out and it gives the army list something "different". Infiltrating with snipers sometimes has its disadvantages though, as you see in my next report: eldar vs orcs...

Will be giving more feedback as I/they progress so stay tuned Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

Eldar vs Renegades Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eldar vs Renegades   Eldar vs Renegades I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 10:43 am

@ styggisen: SUPERB Battle report... the Flamer picture made me go confused ... and when I read the caption about the "Exodite with a not so grand view" I did laughed so loud that one of my kids got scared. HA! The fact that you were playing outside BLEW MY MIND!!!! That is SUPER cool! You get a afro !!!

This Scenario was the game that actually 'turned' Death Squads from a 'thing to do while we wait for the next cool thing' to ' THE only thing to do, because nothing is cooler!'. Da Bank and I played the Scenario... ohhh boy! It was awesome. I played the Orks and I took 5 wannabees, and Da Bank's IG saved one... we rolled at the end and Da Bank beat my high rolls... he did actually saved the real one! Tricking the Orks!

The Scenario is tough... the 'targets' move randomly, and it is a crazy match to the center. The Defender has a difficult job... and you need to decide if you need to sacrifice some one as 'bait'. Once you get a model in base-to-base contact, you gain control of his movement and can move him towards safety.

=============================== Aquila ===============================
YOUR FEEDBACK IS ALSO PHENOMENAL. Some comments...
* Shuriken Catapults rules, Strength 4 weapons is very powerful. And as the Eldar starts out with so few soldiers we both agreed that shuriken pistols all out is the way to go if you want to be a real power gamer.
Yes. The way that our economy works (there is a post that explains that... look for it!), the Shuriken Pistol costs almost the same as a laspitol, but has a rarity. When making a Squad this rarity is 'negated'. To me this simulates that the Eldar should start with Shuriken weaponry... but with low numbers (they are a dying race after all). This has severe consequences in a campaign... every loss that you have will have a high price. But we want to make sure that this option is also fair for Eldar players. Your opinion is VERY valuable... we may have to increase the Shuriken weaponry a couple of credits... maybe not.

* The scenario rules regarding the starting positions is a bit harsh, making the governors start 2D6 of makes them hard to defend properly.
I agree. We designed this long time ago (more than a year) and the game has evolved VERY differently (better, tighter, intelligent, tactical). We will be revising the Scenarios fairly soon. On a particular note, Scenarios that favor one side, always reward the 'loosing' side to compensate for this disadvantage. This means that in a single game, the Scenarios may feel one-sided, but in a campaign the situation is a bit more balanced.

* And as the defender you have to spread out not knowing where the enemy will strike + starting in an empty square makes it even harder. (in our game it also made the terrain (and some cover) reachable for all the eldar in the first turn while some of the defenders had to run across the square to reach the attackers.
Tactics and strategy. Make sure the terrain is fair for both sides.

* Also the possibility to walk off the table edge, for the defender, with a governor is a little bit unclear, the only hint that it is possible is in the experience reward section I think.
I will make a note that this section needs clarification. THANKS!

* Critical hits occurred a lot, next time we will have the crit-tables on a loose sheet.
The back of TLRB has a couple cheat sheets... the 'reduced' critical tables are there (no fluff Sad ) They come in handy!

* The game was a lot more static then what we thought it would be. With almost all fighters at BS 3 we both opted to stand still and fire away, instead of moving around. With pistols the “penalty” is even greater, losing one shot and get -1.
Great observation! Play the same game, but with the Eldar being the Defenders. The Eldar superior speed should make a difference!!!

* At a whole we were both very satisfied with the game and will try out different starting squads before we go on and begin our campaign.
I'm VERY happy you are having a great time. Keep testing, please. Let us know everything you find. Smile

* Hope you all enjoyed the tale.
YES!!!! I Did!
Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
styggisen

styggisen

Eldar vs Renegades Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eldar vs Renegades   Eldar vs Renegades I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 4:28 pm

Thanks for the nice replies.

@mord

Quote :
* Shuriken Catapults rules, Strength 4 weapons is very powerful. And as the Eldar starts out with so few soldiers we both agreed that shuriken pistols all out is the way to go if you want to be a real power gamer.
Yes. The way that our economy works (there is a post that explains that... look for it!), the Shuriken Pistol costs almost the same as a laspitol, but has a rarity. When making a Squad this rarity is 'negated'. To me this simulates that the Eldar should start with Shuriken weaponry... but with low numbers (they are a dying race after all). This has severe consequences in a campaign... every loss that you have will have a high price. But we want to make sure that this option is also fair for Eldar players. Your opinion is VERY valuable... we may have to increase the Shuriken weaponry a couple of credits... maybe not.
I'm not suggestion any changes yet, just as you pointed out the eldar will be outnumbered so they need the boost. Just saying that the shuriken rocks! Pistol

Quote :
Tactics and strategy. Make sure the terrain is fair for both sides.
easy for you to say when the scenario made me deploy in an open square Just Kidding
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

Eldar vs Renegades Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eldar vs Renegades   Eldar vs Renegades I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 5:26 pm

styggisen... I'm full of shit. I'm the UNDISPUTED Worst Strategist in South-West Florida. You could let me set the table and YOUR models... and I will probably loose. Well, maybe not loose because apparently I do not pray to the dice-gods, but I'm having an affair with Lady Luck. See the proof in this post!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
Da Bank

Da Bank

Eldar vs Renegades Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eldar vs Renegades   Eldar vs Renegades I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 05, 2010 8:47 pm

No Mordheimer may be the worst strategist but Dozer and I are some of the WORST D6 rollers in all of gaming in fact. GW wrote us to stop using GW dice as we have been giving them a bad name. LOL

If rolling 1's and 2's were excellent then Dozer and I would win every game.

I loved your pictures, report and questions.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Eldar vs Renegades Empty
PostSubject: Re: Eldar vs Renegades   Eldar vs Renegades I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Eldar vs Renegades
Page 1 of 1