Death Squads Game Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Komfritten's IG Squad

Go down 
+6
Long_John_Silver
Laney
Gatlag Stonetooth
Arachas
Mordheimer
Komfritten
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Komfritten

Komfritten

Komfritten's IG Squad Empty
PostSubject: Komfritten's IG Squad   Komfritten's IG Squad I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 4:30 pm

A while back I started painting my IG's, but stopped when the Orks took the scene. As the Orks are almost done (only missing some few, which I dont have in my squad) I took up the IG's again. At the moment I only have one opponent, and he are starting to grumble about allways meeting orks i Novac. So point taken - I have to paint a new squad, because I just don't want to play an unpainted squad...

Here's my sergeant, I'm trying to make a shield for him, and thinks I pulled it off. Looking forward to painting it, and see it come to life:

Komfritten's IG Squad 2011-10-20%2022.12.12-1

Komfritten's IG Squad 2011-10-20%2022.19.57-1

Komfritten's IG Squad 2011-10-20%2022.20.09-1

Comments are appreciated. I posted in greyscale, as only parts of the sg. is actually painted...
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Komfritten's IG Squad   Komfritten's IG Squad I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 4:42 pm

Unless you put MORE pics of your AWESOME shield (and how you built it), I won't be happy. Well... I'm happy right now, but I appreciate MORE pics. Just Kidding

As per the model goes... I think is a little too big for a 'standard' shield. We will include more shields with the Arbites!
Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
Komfritten

Komfritten

PostSubject: Re: Komfritten's IG Squad   Komfritten's IG Squad I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 4:48 pm

I thought - an IG sergeant won't run around with some petty buckler (very last century), but *would* love a riot shield, as the IG also would work as crowd control in hive-cities and such - something i believe is under the Arbites?
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Komfritten's IG Squad   Komfritten's IG Squad I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 20, 2011 7:12 pm

Yes. The "riot shield" would be an Arbites exclusive gear... nice benefits.
Back to top Go down
Arachas

Arachas

PostSubject: Re: Komfritten's IG Squad   Komfritten's IG Squad I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 3:35 am

TUTORIAL!
Back to top Go down
Komfritten

Komfritten

PostSubject: Re: Komfritten's IG Squad   Komfritten's IG Squad I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 8:27 am

Started on a sniper, because I had to make a base for him... And had not tried that before... now it only need some dried grass, w which I will add last.

Komfritten's IG Squad WHE83KGN Komfritten's IG Squad C5CeO9AS

Komfritten's IG Squad BjDDkzxc Komfritten's IG Squad XIjFmvop

Komfritten's IG Squad ZNpgRrCt Komfritten's IG Squad D3DYa2IC

I hope to be able to replicate some of Laneys sniper things - would be cool.
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Komfritten's IG Squad   Komfritten's IG Squad I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 8:29 am

Nice base.... VERY NICE! Replicating Laney's paint-schemes? Noble goal, my friend... noble goal! Wish you the best of luck. Bug Laney as much as you need. He loves the attention of US, his adoring fans! HA!

Ohh... you better make a tutorial of that shield! Hehehhehe...
Back to top Go down
Komfritten

Komfritten

PostSubject: Re: Komfritten's IG Squad   Komfritten's IG Squad I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 8:40 am

I'm interested in his mesh/net camouflage thing on his sniper. it looks do cool. Can't link from my phone though.
Back to top Go down
Komfritten

Komfritten

PostSubject: Re: Komfritten's IG Squad   Komfritten's IG Squad I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 9:58 am

A tutorial on the Riot Shield HERE!
Back to top Go down
Gatlag Stonetooth

Gatlag Stonetooth

PostSubject: Re: Komfritten's IG Squad   Komfritten's IG Squad I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 10:32 am

Looking sweet so far!
The shield looks good on that sarge!
Back to top Go down
Komfritten

Komfritten

PostSubject: Re: Komfritten's IG Squad   Komfritten's IG Squad I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 11:28 am

The shield is coming along nicely:

Komfritten's IG Squad 2011-10-21%2017.26.27-1

Need to highlight and weather a bit and then I'll call it done and done...
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Komfritten's IG Squad   Komfritten's IG Squad I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 11:32 am

Looks strong... like a BULKHEAD!!! Great stuff!
Back to top Go down
Komfritten

Komfritten

PostSubject: Re: Komfritten's IG Squad   Komfritten's IG Squad I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 1:20 pm

Ok I consider my 1st sergeant done now:

Komfritten's IG Squad 2011-10-21%2019.14.36-1 Komfritten's IG Squad 2011-10-21%2019.14.46-1

Komfritten's IG Squad 2011-10-21%2019.14.54-1 Komfritten's IG Squad 2011-10-21%2019.15.16-1

This is my first scratch build miniture part, I'm so proud!
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Komfritten's IG Squad   Komfritten's IG Squad I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 1:36 pm

Cool looking sniper - very nice base to accommodate the long cloak. Your model work and buildings are really impressive! The shield on that sergeant is ace too - working with plasticard at that scale is a pain in the thumb. The layering on the cloth is subtle but effective.

The ghillie suit (mesh) stuff is easy (I stole the idea from somewhere on the interweb myself).

1) Just cut a crepe bandage or baby muslins (In my house you have to make sure you steal the white ones for models - not the yellow ones - definitely not the yellow ones!) into 0.5cm to 1cm wide strips (cut to length desired).

2) Tease out the bandage/muslin to get some 'netting' and some 'strands'.

3) Lay the pieces over the sniper however you fancy (I would keep the face fairly free and wrap the rifle too).

4) As you lay one the pieces soak them in the runniest liquid superglue you can find (obviously keep it well ventilated and don't stick your fingers!). Tweezers are useful to pull the pieces into place. Add brass etch leaves etc now if you want.

5) Let the glue dry and apply the paint - go from the inside out (the great thing is you can be pretty rough and the paint job still looks good!).

6) Add any static grass, scenic stuff you want and job done!

Cheers Laney Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Komfritten

Komfritten

PostSubject: Re: Komfritten's IG Squad   Komfritten's IG Squad I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 21, 2011 1:47 pm

Thank you so much Laney! That, with your awsome pictures of your even more awsome sniper, should help me a long way!
Back to top Go down
Komfritten

Komfritten

PostSubject: Re: Komfritten's IG Squad   Komfritten's IG Squad I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 3:33 am

here's a WiP of the sniper - need to camo the cloak, but I'm hesistant to do it =) but well, there's always the option of wash, rinse repeat Wink

Komfritten's IG Squad 2011-10-22%2009.30.36-1
Back to top Go down
Arachas

Arachas

PostSubject: Re: Komfritten's IG Squad   Komfritten's IG Squad I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 3:35 am

Laney wrote:
5) Let the glue dry and apply the paint - go from the inside out (the
great thing is you can be pretty rough and the paint job still looks
good
!).

That pretty much defines your painting style. JEALOUS!
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Komfritten's IG Squad   Komfritten's IG Squad I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 3:38 am

Really sharp highlights on his armour - ace work!

Always rough with paint jobs - not enough time!

Laney Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Komfritten

Komfritten

PostSubject: Re: Komfritten's IG Squad   Komfritten's IG Squad I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 4:37 am

I'm so afraid of ruining my sniper, that I will delay the guillie-suit for my Ork Kommandoz...

Here's the sniper - and I consider him done for now:

Komfritten's IG Squad DSC_0279 Komfritten's IG Squad DSC_0278

Komfritten's IG Squad DSC_0277 Komfritten's IG Squad DSC_0276

I painted the camo and was like... well - it's ok... and then I washed it and then I was like OMG! I just LOVE Devlan Mud!

I do need some minor details like the scope, but he's ready for the table, and my buddy wants to play against something else than orks... and I do not want to play an unpainted squad...
Back to top Go down
Arachas

Arachas

PostSubject: Re: Komfritten's IG Squad   Komfritten's IG Squad I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 7:36 am

Yeah that's all I wanted to add: paint the scope and give him eyes. Other than that he looks awesome, especially the base.

Indeed Devlan Mud rocks, I'm pretty sure God washes his models with it, too.
Back to top Go down
Long_John_Silver

Long_John_Silver

PostSubject: Re: Komfritten's IG Squad   Komfritten's IG Squad I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 9:07 am

I don't think I would give him eyes; he looks like he is squinting right now and I like it.
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Komfritten's IG Squad   Komfritten's IG Squad I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 10:28 am

You guys put me to shame... well, that is not hard to do! But still your painting is AWESOME!

I agree with you and Arachas... take the model to the NEXT level by painting the scope. It is NOT hard one you so it. Takes 5 mins (actually, 2 mins). Here is my recipe for gem-reflection effect with BLUE TONE (which I think compliment the green scheme nicely!)

1) The trick is painting fast (so the paint is wet) and it blends a little and using small brushes (at least size 000... I personally like 10x0... super tiny!)

2) Select all the colors you want to use beforehand. I suggest Royal Purple, Royal Blue, Ultra Marines Blue, Deep Sky Blue, Baby Blue, White.

Komfritten's IG Squad Cc810 Komfritten's IG Squad Cc809 Komfritten's IG Squad Cc839 Komfritten's IG Squad Cc844 Komfritten's IG Squad Cc961 Komfritten's IG Squad Cc951

Feel free to use whatever colors you have. You need a minimum of 4 colors for this to look right. The larger the object, the more colors and blending you need.

3) Select the 'Light Source' direction. In your case, I would suggest (looking at the model from the barrel of the gun) to be top-right (from top of the shoulder). This way the observer connects the dots... I mean, the source would make the low-left to be darker (shadows) which is what you painted. The scope will add highlights to the WHOLE model. Yes... well, no. The Observer's mind will do that. It is an optical illusion.

4) You are going to paint "crescent moons" with each color. First the base, and then the crescent moons of lighters colors. In this illustration, the light source comes from the TOP-LEFT.
Komfritten's IG Squad GemTutorial

This image has the light coming from the Top-Right, as I suggest you do yours.
Komfritten's IG Squad Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRaxaJBTI01afofRfsy9_Et64nAtcAL4um4TwQxTU0L_jlOr0I8urZh2b0G

5) Paint the whole scope with the darkest color, in this case the Royal Purple.

6) Paint a fairly large crescent moon (little more than half the scope) with the 2nd darkest color (Royal Blue) on the OPPOSITE direction the Light Source. In your case, LOWER-LEFT.

7) Repeat the process with lighter colors, the crescent moon thinner each time.

Cool end up with a SUPER fine line of white if possible. If not, it is OK.

9) Paint a SMALL dot (or two) on the darkest part of the scope, which is where the Light Source is (Top-Right).

10) Enjoy your work. Bitch about now wanting to do it to all your models!

Remember, the critical part is choosing the correct light source. If you do it backwards (the light comes from where the shadows is) the observer will see through the illusion and the model will become crap. The BEST part... if you screw up, just rub off with your finger! Good luck... show me the scope!

Back to top Go down
Komfritten

Komfritten

PostSubject: Re: Komfritten's IG Squad   Komfritten's IG Squad I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 10:40 am

I'll se if the little family will let me paint this evening - if - then I'll defenately try this out =)

I've said it before, and I'll probs say it again - this forum / community rocks!
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Komfritten's IG Squad   Komfritten's IG Squad I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 1:02 pm

Really convincing camo cloak - devlan mud is ace (you might even call it the new black!).

Rubbish jokes aside - great job and awesome mini-tutorial Mord.

Laney Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Komfritten

Komfritten

PostSubject: Re: Komfritten's IG Squad   Komfritten's IG Squad I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 22, 2011 3:29 pm

This is a weekend of firsts! Mordheimer suggested that I tried out decals, and i was - as always ressistant to try something new... but the nagging voice (yes I have a good imagination) of his kept pushing me... So I tried it out, and I'm ... as always... happy I did:

Komfritten's IG Squad 2011-10-22%2021.24.28-1

Komfritten's IG Squad 2011-10-22%2021.25.58-1
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Komfritten's IG Squad   Komfritten's IG Squad I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Komfritten's IG Squad
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next