Death Squads Game Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.)

Go down 
+6
Arachas
Da Bank
DoZer
Laney
Mordheimer
jd3
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.)   8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 15, 2012 8:14 am

NICE! The turrents look good. I don't know what you guys are saying about the size. Probably me, not knowing what I'm supposed to know.

Excellent touch of gold.
Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
DoZer

DoZer

PostSubject: Re: 8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.)   8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 11:05 am

I think the turrets are Vulcan Mega Bolter. I believe Baneblades have them as well as Macharius tanks from Forge World (i.e. Super Heavies). I think this is why they look so disproportional to the rhino chassis.

Edit: Picture for Reference
8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) - Page 2 MachVulcan4

8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) - Page 2 MachVulcan5

Edit #2:Drill out the barrels on your PA Storm Bolters as well as the Rhino exhaust stacks.
Back to top Go down
jd3

jd3

PostSubject: Re: 8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.)   8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 12:33 pm

I'm still thinking they might function for what I want. I will slap some paint on them and see how it goes.

I think they are smaller than the superheavy turret. Just look at the hatches.
Back to top Go down
jd3

jd3

PostSubject: Re: 8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.)   8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 8:46 pm

So I put in a ton of time so far today. I got all the basing done for the 20 PA GK. I also got some iconography going for the Rhinos/Razorbacks.\

8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) - Page 2 IMAG04848k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) - Page 2 IMAG04868k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) - Page 2 IMAG04878k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) - Page 2 IMAG04908k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) - Page 2 IMAG0489
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: 8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.)   8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 9:13 pm

Tons of work done! The Marines are getting over 'table top' to 'wow'... soon they will get to the 'holy s#!t... those are awesome!"

Also... clean your camera lens. The smudges are robbing my eyes of some pleasure pixels... or is it THAT foggy in Florida right now? Just Kidding
Back to top Go down
jd3

jd3

PostSubject: Re: 8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.)   8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 9:45 pm

Here are some better marine shots.. They still need lots of shading and layering on the red color.

8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) - Page 2 IMAG04938k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) - Page 2 IMAG0494
Back to top Go down
Da Bank

Da Bank

PostSubject: Re: 8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.)   8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 16, 2012 9:51 pm

JD3

Hey!

I heard all about your new army from Dozer and I didn't believe him at first. I said JD3 would not leave his beloved Eldar. Very impressive and your painting skills are awesome.

Hope you are doing well.
Back to top Go down
jd3

jd3

PostSubject: Re: 8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.)   8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 2:35 pm

Hey Anydy, long time.. I hope you are doing well too

Here are some photos of the army I will be plaing in an upcoming tourney.

8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) - Page 2 IMAG05048k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) - Page 2 IMAG05038k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) - Page 2 IMAG0502
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: 8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.)   8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 3:18 pm

Cool looking army...

What's the army list?

Why did you go for coteaz as your HQ? Isn't he made for henchman lists?

Laney:)
Back to top Go down
jd3

jd3

PostSubject: Re: 8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.)   8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 8:23 pm

Laney wrote:
Cool looking army...

What's the army list?

Why did you go for coteaz as your HQ? Isn't he made for henchman lists?

Laney:)

I'm playing as I type this with Dozer on Vassal. Ok, well I didn't finish the post it until after I beat him. To his credit Dozer did more damage to this army then in any of his past games against it.

Coteaz is a fantastic purchase for 100 points and even without his FoC shifts. Coteaz is pure utility: Stubborn, Sanctuary, ND Hammer, Hammer Hand, reroll the seize, blah, blah, blah.. coteaz is just amazing for his points. A lack of Invul hurts, but at 100 points he is one of the best deals in the dex.

That said, in my list, he still makes my DCA/crusader squad and 10 stormbolter henchmen squads troops. This ends up being a major strength at 1500 points having 6 mobile scoring units.

The list is:

Coteaz

Vindicare Assassin

10 hench w/SB (1 has Meltabombs), Rhino

4 DCA, 2 Crusaders, 3 Warrior Acolyte w/Meltabombs, Rhino

2 x 5 Strike Squad w/Psycannon, Razorback TLHB w/Psybolt

2 x 5 Strike Squad w/Psycannon, Razorback TLAssC w/Psybolt

2 x Dreadnough 2xTLAC w/Psybolt

This is a list I like to run at 1500, especially for tournaments.
Back to top Go down
DoZer

DoZer

PostSubject: Re: 8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.)   8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 17, 2012 10:16 pm

I hate that list. The amount of high strength shooting it puts out is absurd. It's backed by a formidable CC unit that's delivers quite a punch. Anti-infantry is taken care of by the GKs storm bolters and the squats. You rarely see any lists at this points level that has such combinations, and never see lists that have such units that mesh so well together.
Back to top Go down
jd3

jd3

PostSubject: Re: 8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.)   8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 18, 2012 12:06 am

I really like the Strike squads MSU psycannon + razorback option and believe it is competiteve. I actually like them way better than henchmen in psybacks.

I ran up to the hardware store and got some containers and a new hobby knife with lots of different blades.

Then orginized my painting/hobby drawer.

8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) - Page 2 IMAG0506

Am now in the process of rescuplting the turret and seeing how far I get with it tonight. below is them filed down, thanks to Dozer for recommending that I shave off the rivets! 8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) - Page 2 586584

Below is them with the flashing cleaned off and some knife work. I'll post shots before priming starts.

8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) - Page 2 IMAG0505

Last edited by jd3 on Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Da Bank

Da Bank

PostSubject: Re: 8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.)   8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 18, 2012 8:38 am

Jamie

Doing well. Just life. Smile I am very impressed with your new army. I have heard about it's awesome fire power(especially on the whimsical Dark Eldar). 8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) - Page 2 33290

I am two weeks from finishing one of my grad classess and maybe we can meet up in the Fort or at 2d10 to say "hey".

Long story short, your painting has improved greatly and now I need to start finding some time to paint (PE 2012) as my painting skills are lacking.
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: 8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.)   8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 18, 2012 8:53 am

Thanks for the info - I might consider coteaz for more than a pure henchman list (plus I'd mistaken the mass of stormbolters for grey knights - didn't see the squats hiding in the back!).

Cheers Laney:D
Back to top Go down
jd3

jd3

PostSubject: Re: 8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.)   8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 18, 2012 1:19 pm

Thanks for the compilment about my Painting Andy, I have been working really hard on this army. I would like for the whole collection to be done at some point. The most exciting part is that the next time I play will be the first time ever competing in a tournament with an entirely painted army. That just feels awesome.

I am glad to hear you are doing well Andy.

Yeah, Laney Coteaz and cheap HQ's are perfectly viable within GK lists as it's the troops, heavy support, and eleites that do the heavy lifting. I heard of lists just running on a single Inquisitor for about 30 points as the HQ and doing well because the saved points go to pallies, purifiers, or just into more psycannons.

As I promised here are the photos of the turrets ready to be primed.

8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) - Page 2 IMAG05098k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) - Page 2 IMAG0508

I also strated blackwashing (ok so it was delvan mud, not black) some of the PAGK. Now they will look really dark until I bring back the silver and do highlights. I want my GK to look darker than the typical, but not this dark.

8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) - Page 2 IMAG0510

Don't worry too much about all the obvious touch ups needed. They will be covered up when I get to the 3 tone silver stage. I still need to do the whites first: parchments, purity seals, and the books.
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: 8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.)   8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 18, 2012 3:02 pm

I know..!!! When you base them, put some green grass. Not super bright, but some green. It will help break the model from the base. Maybe painting the dirt shades of brown with some green grass.

I know... I'm way ahead.

The tanks. Honestly, I do NOT understand what you guys are bitching about the turrents being too big. They look INCREDIBLE! Damn it... it IS 40k! Laws of physics are chilling in The Warp... MORE POWER!!! The brass =][= is a GREAT touch!

The Knights look great... not so grey (get it? Great, not Grey?)... so the next shade will be super! Keep the great job... and sharing! I want to see your warmongers done! Salute
Back to top Go down
Arachas

Arachas

PostSubject: Re: 8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.)   8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 18, 2012 3:13 pm

As powerful as the list sounds, it doesn't have a lot of models. Have you tried using Imperial Guard against him, DoZer? Wink
Back to top Go down
jd3

jd3

PostSubject: Re: 8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.)   8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 18, 2012 3:38 pm

Guard would be a tough matchup vs. that list for sure.

So here are the turrets with a rough base paint job. Do they work for the razorbacks?

8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) - Page 2 IMAG0512
Back to top Go down
DoZer

DoZer

PostSubject: Re: 8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.)   8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 18, 2012 3:51 pm

Looks AWESOME buddy. I love the muzzle plate armor in that red. It looks ace!
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: 8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.)   8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 18, 2012 4:43 pm

If I didn't knew better... I say the turrents are part of the standard kit. GREAT job... even BETTER paint!
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: 8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.)   8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 18, 2012 7:27 pm

Looking very cool - the turrets are perfect for psybolt ammo.

The grey knights are looking much more like they are involved in fighting than the GW versions.

This is going to seem like a stupid question, but what is Vassal? (You mentioned playing DoZer this way)

Ta Laney:D
Back to top Go down
jd3

jd3

PostSubject: Re: 8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.)   8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 12:33 pm

Vassal is a free 2D board game simulator where you can load modules (warhammer 40k for instance) and play it over the internet with anyone who has the same module.

The current 40k module is 5E with sprites for every race completed except for the newest necrons. The simulator has the most common dice rolls (to-hit/to-wound, to-hit/to-penetrate, etc) so that rolls are made and your opponent can see the results.

The map is created by a player and the maps have a generous amount of terrain and such to simulate a 40k battlefield.

There is a learning curve, but it is not too bad. It's not the same experience as a real 40k match but it is a great way to test armies and strats with other players. I recommend playing someone you know is cool and not playing random games with people who won't agree about true LOS issues and other shennegins.
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: 8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.)   8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 3:55 pm

I learned how to play (not too well...) in one game with Dozer. Helps having Skype, so you can also talk (if you can stomach Dozer's taunts...) I know that jd3 and Dozer play on it, as they now live hours apart... they get to experiment with new CRAZY lists and tweak their armies.

If you ever play against any of them in person, you have to tell them if you want to play to have fun or 'seriously'. If you play for fun (like I do) prepare yourself for a great time. If you make the error of saying 'seriously' (I did that ONCE)... get ready to be plowed by the most competitively aggressive armies conceived by living, dead or yet born man, woman or beast. Hell... I think The Emperor traveled back in time to consult those two on what to do.

Anyway, Vassal allows people to play games... very nice. I do like face-to-face better (nothing like seeing models in person!) but it does in a pinch.

Dozer always say that we should do a Death Squads module... yeah, like I need more crap on my to-do list! Just Kidding
Back to top Go down
jd3

jd3

PostSubject: Re: 8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.)   8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 5:59 pm

So I hit a milestone with my 1500 list. They are all black washed (delvan mud) and that means a little base work (I heard ya Mordie!) and they are pretty presentable for TT. Way off from finished though, I wnat these guys to be really crisp and nice looking eventualy.

Here are some pics..

8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) - Page 2 IMAG05158k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) - Page 2 IMAG05168k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) - Page 2 IMAG05138k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) - Page 2 IMAG0517

I may have a few more tonight depending on how much I get done.
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: 8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.)   8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 19, 2012 7:28 pm

So much WIN in this thread!

I particularly like LOVE how the swords seem to glimmer (shine) in contrast to the armor! Are you drilling the guns? Also... if you can find INQUISITION decals... the ones that came with the Sister's stuff. OR maybe you could make them... they have some litanies... VERY cool. Your tanks could use some of that. I used them long time ago... some examples.

8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) - Page 2 Rhino+01
8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) - Page 2 100_1981
8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) - Page 2 Dreadnought+A+-+View+01

That would help you break the monotony of the red bands, with something interesting. Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.)   8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.) - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

8k of GK (or how I learned to love the paint.)
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next