Death Squads Game Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Legio Cybernetica

Go down 
+6
Narcissus
Laney
Komfritten
Gatlag Stonetooth
Mordheimer
lakedaimonioi
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
lakedaimonioi

lakedaimonioi

Legio Cybernetica Empty
PostSubject: Legio Cybernetica   Legio Cybernetica I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2012 3:44 am

Okay, so 'Legio Cybernetica' is more of a statement of intent than an accurate representation of what I have so far, as I haven't yet put together any Legio Robot Maniples. I'm working up to it but until then, here's my generic Mechanicum force-in-progress, with a dash of Legio Cybernetica flavour.

An Adept Secutor
Legio Cybernetica 6975350913_5325b49e3b

Some Skitarii
Legio Cybernetica 6975348617_eb556cd3cc Legio Cybernetica 6975349269_4c370c7626

Legio Cybernetica 6829225844_97f0f26764

Some Combat Servitors
Legio Cybernetica 6829254242_dcd7114764 Legio Cybernetica 6829253522_2209e8f741

Legio Cybernetica 6975377625_2fff183b17 Legio Cybernetica 6975376923_5327cb347e

The Chromian Engine (Abominable Intelligence)
Legio Cybernetica 6975386435_2a57e6cd0e
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

Legio Cybernetica Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legio Cybernetica   Legio Cybernetica I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2012 8:17 am

Well, well, well... I guess I have to eat my own 'prove it with pics' word, eh? THIS IS AWESOME!!!! Love them all. I love Servitors ALMOST as much as I love Gretchins. Your Combat Servitors are VERY original. I suggest you visit jd3' Grey Knight thread (LINK) as he also has some cool Servitors there (I think page 7... but that thread has enough pics to satisfy even me...)

One question... what is The Chromian Engine (Abominable Intelligence)? What was the source of inspiration? The reason I ask, is that since conception I wanted to include the Mechanicum. So you could even use your models with Death Squads ! Right now, other things have Priority... but I'm always hunting for resources.
Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
Gatlag Stonetooth

Gatlag Stonetooth

Legio Cybernetica Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legio Cybernetica   Legio Cybernetica I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2012 9:34 am

Darn sweet stuff man!
Love the Skitarii and the spider servitor!
Back to top Go down
lakedaimonioi

lakedaimonioi

Legio Cybernetica Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legio Cybernetica   Legio Cybernetica I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2012 10:14 am

Apologies if I over-explain.
An abominable intelliegence, also called a soulless sentience, is the 40k equivalent of a true AI (the acronym even stays the same). It is a machine intelligence capable of thinking and learning and is completely proscribed technology within the Imperium. The background fluff seem a little sketchy in the timeline of things but I believe the Mechanicum was generally wary of the field pre-great-crusade (due to the whole Men of Iron incident), but it was only after the Emperor came to Mars that its pursuit was specifically forbidden.

Some of the more recent fiction (mostly appearing in Mechanicum, 2008, but also in some short fiction that I _think_ only appeared in the Horus Heresy Art Book) features Lukas Chrom, a Master Adept that continued his research into AI in secret after it was forbidden by the Emperor.

The culmination of his research was the Kaban Machine.

Its bulk was as wide as it was tall and was equipped with a fearsome array of weapons with several being mounted on weapon-tentacles, some of which were recognisable whilst others were a complete mystery. The machines form of locomotion took the form of a heavy tracked unit allowing it to move about its environment. In addition to its armoured skin, it was also equipped with void shielding
to protect it from harm.

Measuring ten meters tall, its form was roughly spherical in shape with two arms that were heavily weaponised that were located on
opposite sides of one another. There were also high pauldrons that were designed to protect its sensory apparatuses behind which were a number of metallic arms that extended from its shoulders. Shaped like massive mechadendrites that were equipped with a variety of fearsome looking devices.

I wanted my Legio to be harbouring an AI of the Kaban Machine's ilk (though a bit more compact than its 10m height). I deliberated over a name for such a device for a while, but eventually figured that if its construction was based upon Chrom's research and it was the first such device to be constructed by this particular cell of the Legio, it would make sense for it to be named for the originator of the research that made its creation possible, hence the Chromian Engine.
Back to top Go down
Komfritten

Komfritten

Legio Cybernetica Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legio Cybernetica   Legio Cybernetica I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2012 12:55 pm

You can *never* over-explain! My question is this:

Codex? Where do you implement those awsome mechanicus thingies?
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

Legio Cybernetica Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legio Cybernetica   Legio Cybernetica I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2012 5:15 pm

Amazing stuff - great weathering and outstanding conversions! So characterful, particularly the spider guy and the Chromian Engine.

Laney:D
Back to top Go down
Narcissus

Narcissus

Legio Cybernetica Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legio Cybernetica   Legio Cybernetica I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 12, 2012 6:26 pm

Great models. I really like the conversions and use of miniatures from so many different companies. Very inspired.
Back to top Go down
http://rustandthecity.blogspot.com/
lakedaimonioi

lakedaimonioi

Legio Cybernetica Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legio Cybernetica   Legio Cybernetica I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 4:03 am

Komfritten, I don't game with these guys at the moment. My long term goal is to play them in a skirmish game - maybe Death Squads. If I was going to field them in a game of 40k, I would do so as Vanilla Marines. The Adept Secutor would be a Techmarine or a Master of the Forge, depending on the scenario; The Servitors would be Servitors attached to the Adept Secutor; The Skitarii would be Space Marine Scouts (Hellguns are close enough to Boltguns); I'd leave the Chromain Engine out - I don't think there's anything really appropriate to count it as - I'm really not a fan of the 'counts as' culture in general anyway - I suppose I could use it as a Dreadnought if it came down to it.
Back to top Go down
Komfritten

Komfritten

Legio Cybernetica Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legio Cybernetica   Legio Cybernetica I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 4:32 am

=) Then they need to make a codex for you! They are too cool not to hehe.

Fitts great for a DS setting though.
Back to top Go down
lakedaimonioi

lakedaimonioi

Legio Cybernetica Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legio Cybernetica   Legio Cybernetica I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 2:12 am

A couple more Adepts and an Apprentus
Legio Cybernetica 6904456076_9321a6f8d2

Some more Combat Servitors
Legio Cybernetica 7050547569_6f659598f0
Legio Cybernetica 6904457786_2460f48cb8

Pit Slaves
Legio Cybernetica 7050549141_163ccd9486

Cult Mechanicus Militia
Legio Cybernetica 6904459494_14bba82533
Back to top Go down
Da Bank

Da Bank

Legio Cybernetica Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legio Cybernetica   Legio Cybernetica I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 6:44 am

Great work on converting. This is great.
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

Legio Cybernetica Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legio Cybernetica   Legio Cybernetica I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 8:55 am

This is VERY cool! Are those models finished? Some seemed like they are, some seem almost finished... but even those are a billion times better than those from GW!!!!
Back to top Go down
Dysturbed

Dysturbed

Legio Cybernetica Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legio Cybernetica   Legio Cybernetica I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 11:24 am

are those Skitarii the ones from Blight Wheel Games? They look awesome.
Back to top Go down
lakedaimonioi

lakedaimonioi

Legio Cybernetica Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legio Cybernetica   Legio Cybernetica I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 10:44 pm

They're finished for now. I have a habit of going back and touching up old figures, but for now I'm happy with how they are. Which ones look unfinished to you?

Funny you should say that Mord, I generally use a lot of non-GW figures but of the second batch of pictures I put up all but the leftmost adept and the pit-slaves are GW.

The Skitarii are the Blight Wheel Brotherhood figures. With Necron arms, Hellguns made from 2ed-style bolters and Robogear backpacks. They're a really nice figure and easy to paint, though I bought mine before they re-did the arms.
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

Legio Cybernetica Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legio Cybernetica   Legio Cybernetica I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 11:36 pm

This Combat Servitor looks unfinished... possibly the angle of the pic.
Legio Cybernetica 7050547569_6f659598f0

The Pit Slaves and Militia's bases do not seem finished... again, maybe the angle.
Legio Cybernetica 7050549141_163ccd9486
Legio Cybernetica 6904459494_14bba82533

Minor stuff... almost finished?
Back to top Go down
Devo88

Devo88

Legio Cybernetica Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legio Cybernetica   Legio Cybernetica I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2012 1:39 am

This is some great stuff! The Mechanicum was generally wary of the field pre-great-crusade (due to the whole Men of Iron incident), but it was only after the Emperor came to Mars that its pursuit was specifically forbidden! Lukas Chrom, a Master Adept that continued his research into AI in secret after it was forbidden by the Emperor.
OK, how do I find out more about this! And why was it forbidden by the Emperor?

Last edited by Devo88 on Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
lakedaimonioi

lakedaimonioi

Legio Cybernetica Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legio Cybernetica   Legio Cybernetica I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2012 10:51 pm

@ Mord: yeah - I'm a bit disappointed in how the paint turned out on that particular Servitor, but I'm not sure what else I'd want to do to make it look more finished. I have him in a display cabinet where I look at him every day though, so hopefully something will come to me.

Many of the militia were originally members of my last Necromunda gang, so some of them still have little bits of paper stuck to the front of their bases where their name-tags were glued.

================== Skull ==================

@ Devo88: As ever the Adeptus Mechanicus background material is a bit all over the place. AFAIK everything we know officially about the Men of Iron is from an obscure artefact text hidden away in the back of 40k3e rulebook titled "This being the Journal of Keeper Cripias" (Actually, that's a lie - the Men of Iron are also mentioned in the novel "First and Only" but I haven't read it, so I can't speak for its relevance). if you don't have access to that book, a google search for 'iron men stone men' should give you plentiful people's wild and fanciful speculations on the meaning of that artefact text.

My speculation (based on nothing but correlation) is that the concept of the Men of Iron was introduced with the intention of providing the background for the new (then) Necron army (which at the time consisted only of the old metal Warriors, Immortals, Destroyers, Lord and Scarabs with no background to speak of other than being 'mysterious machines' of which no-one knew the origin) before GW wimped out (IMHO) and decided to make them another Xenos race instead.

If you're interested in the concept, I'd direct you towards the Comic Book short story "Pax Imperialis - Solitude" printed in the Black Library anthology "Flames of Damnation". I'd presume that it must have first appeared in some issue of Inferno Magazine, but I cannot confirm - I encountered it through Flames of Damnation. Also, if you're not already familiar with them, have a bit of a look into the 'spiritual predecessor' of the Men of Iron, the Chaos Androids as detailed in the "Renegades" expansion for Space Marine (epic) and (less canonically) in Space Crusade.

The story of Lukas Chrom and the Kaban Machine are detailed in the BL novel "Mechanicum" and in a short story titled "The Kaban Project" (which to my knowledge was only printed in the Horus Heresy Collected Visions Art Book). The actual motivations of the Emperor remain hidden, but Mechanicum (the novel) does pretty solidly confirm that the influence of the Dragon (as in the C-tan) over the cultural and technological development of the Proto-Mechanicum are now considered canon by the studio team, so I'd say there are pretty strong indications that it's related to keeping the Dragon in a disempowered state.

Mordheimer's Edit #1: Avoid double-posting. Please EDIT your post.

================== Skull ==================

It's probably worth appending to the previous post that's it's unclear whether the new background material presented in Mechanicum and The Kaban Project is intended to replace old material such as the Journal of Keeper Cripias, or to supplement it. I generally find the older material more interesting (and am still a little bit resentful that the Necrons are a Xenos species now) so I've chosen to interpret the new material as supplementary. You can make up your own mind.

Mordheimer's Edit #2: Triple posting is not any better than double posting. Yes... editing posts is a GREAT thing! Wink Please EDIT your post.

Last edited by Mordheimer on Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:31 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Mordheimer's Edit: Merging multiple consecutive posts. Please EDIT.)
Back to top Go down
Dysturbed

Dysturbed

Legio Cybernetica Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legio Cybernetica   Legio Cybernetica I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 13, 2012 12:01 am

If it's by black library or GW id consider it the new fluff. Most of the authors from GW write for both.
Back to top Go down
lakedaimonioi

lakedaimonioi

Legio Cybernetica Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legio Cybernetica   Legio Cybernetica I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 13, 2012 12:13 am

Oh, absolutely.

The uncertainty is because the new fluff doesn't specifically contradict the old fluff, but does cover similar ground. When GW want old fluff to go away, sometimes they specifically rewrite it, and sometimes they just kinda hope you'll forget about it.
Back to top Go down
Devo88

Devo88

Legio Cybernetica Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legio Cybernetica   Legio Cybernetica I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 13, 2012 1:47 am

Thanks for the info! Nooooooo I do not want to forget it I want to learn more about the old ways! Now I am interested in it because of you! definitely I am going to look up the black library stuff that you mentioned! Thanks!

Ok I found A lot of information and sources on Lexicanum that will keep me reserching the subject for a long time! As for the Men of Stone????- deleted "Men of Stone" ‎ (content was: "{{NoFanFluff}} {{delete}} == Men Of Stone == the men of stone were thought to have been mans earlyest attempt at AI. these robotic minions were made of stone and graphite. a single microchip, also made of graphite and stone imbeded on t...")???? WTH it just ends??? Embarassed

Found this in the time line!
M21 The Golden Race of Men become depended on the Stone Race of Men and their artifices, as such the Stone Men prevail.

Sometime within the next 5,000 years the Men of Stone create the Iron Men to help in the building of their Empire.
Back to top Go down
lakedaimonioi

lakedaimonioi

Legio Cybernetica Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legio Cybernetica   Legio Cybernetica I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 13, 2012 10:58 pm

The general consensus, as I understand it, seems to be that the Stone Men are humankind as they exist in the 'present day' of the Imperium, and the Golden Men are some kind of precursor race - which opens up lots of delightful galactic conspiracy theories.
Back to top Go down
Devo88

Devo88

Legio Cybernetica Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legio Cybernetica   Legio Cybernetica I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 14, 2012 1:31 am

Reading through the stuff in the Lexianum, under the title Abominable Itelligence the is a source link ( Corpus Auxilla Machanicus, ) but when I click one it takes me to a internet disconect page! So I googled it, and it is there it makes for an interesting read! LOL
Back to top Go down
lakedaimonioi

lakedaimonioi

Legio Cybernetica Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legio Cybernetica   Legio Cybernetica I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 14, 2012 3:02 am

AFIAK Corpus Auxilla Mechanicus is a fan document, but it's a good fan document and was printed in Exterminatus Magazine. The officialness of a lot of the stuff that was printed for Inquisitor is in a weird nebulous zone. I'm inclined to use it, but wouldn't expect it to be supported by the studio.

I wonder if I should change the name of the Chromian Engine to the Khamrian Engine...?
Back to top Go down
Devo88

Devo88

Legio Cybernetica Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legio Cybernetica   Legio Cybernetica I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 14, 2012 4:04 pm

Yes I agree on what you said about the Necrons, and GW rewriting the fluff to them! Because I remember reading in the first Necron Codex that they were mysterious machines of which no-one knew the origin! But "I can pull the wool over my own eye's" LOL J.R. (Bob ) Dobbs, from The Book of the SubGenius
Back to top Go down
Dysturbed

Dysturbed

Legio Cybernetica Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legio Cybernetica   Legio Cybernetica I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 14, 2012 11:08 pm

I thought the Necrons where created by the old ones. Wasn't that the old fluff?
I tried to totally ignore the Necrons though because I just wasn't interested in them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Legio Cybernetica Empty
PostSubject: Re: Legio Cybernetica   Legio Cybernetica I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Legio Cybernetica
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Death Squads Game Forums :: Other War Games :: Warhammer 40k-
Jump to: