Death Squads Game Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Black Consul Space Marines Chapter (PIC HEAVY)

Go down 
+3
Narcissus
Mordheimer
Matt12z
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Matt12z

Matt12z

Black Consul Space Marines Chapter (PIC HEAVY) Empty
PostSubject: Black Consul Space Marines Chapter (PIC HEAVY)   Black Consul Space Marines Chapter (PIC HEAVY) I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2012 4:27 pm

Hey all,

So, I've been collecting a space marine army for the past year and a half. So far, it's pretty slow going, simply because of money issues. Also, while I knew the paint scheme, I didn't really know which chapter I wanted to go with. However, a while back I came across the Black Consul chapter. I've been drawn to them for a few reasons. First, because they matched the color scheme. Secondly, because I like the idea of a chapter on the edge of extinction - the chapter are reported to have been wiped out by the word bearer chaos marines, though there are reported to be scattered squads / groups of balck consuls still out there. I'm painting this as a lost company, seeking some way forward, fighting against despair...for this reason, I'm using the blood angels codex for the army, for while the black consuls are painted to be a codex-adherent chapter, I suspect that the despair at being the last means that their one desire is for battle, and that there are some who just simply want death...

A few things I need to note:

- First of all, I've collected the models I like. While I like the fluff, I don't feel bound by it.

- Secondly, I'm not the best painter. So forgive any mistakes, though I'm always grateful for helpful criticism!

Right, on to the models!

Librarian in Terminator Armour with Storm Shield and Force Weapon (The Chain Fist "Lost Hope")

Black Consul Space Marines Chapter (PIC HEAVY) 060

Black Consul Space Marines Chapter (PIC HEAVY) 061

Black Consul Space Marines Chapter (PIC HEAVY) 062

This was a recovery job of a Chaos Lord in Terminator Armour. I've filed off chaos details, bulked up the model using small plasticard strips, a plastic barrel I butchered and green stuff, gave him the head from the empire militia box, new shoulder pads and a storm shield from scibor miniatures, and a powerfist from the chaos lord box set.

Chaplain with Jump Pack

Black Consul Space Marines Chapter (PIC HEAVY) 063

Adapted from a normal marine. The helmet was combined with a skull from an undead skeleton (kinda obvious), the power weapon thing-y made from two power hammers from the space wolf box set, and a spare jump pack I've had since...forever.

Scout Squad

Black Consul Space Marines Chapter (PIC HEAVY) 066

Just kit bashed from the scout squad and spare bits, with some green stuff thrown in. some of the first models I painted for this army! Hence the poor quality...

Tactical Squad

Black Consul Space Marines Chapter (PIC HEAVY) 067

Assault Squad

Black Consul Space Marines Chapter (PIC HEAVY) 065

Using over sized jump packs from maxmini!Still need to finish them off...

Terminator Squad 1

Black Consul Space Marines Chapter (PIC HEAVY) 068

Terminator Squad 2 (Still to be completed)

Black Consul Space Marines Chapter (PIC HEAVY) 069

Rhino

Black Consul Space Marines Chapter (PIC HEAVY) 070

Dreadnought (Not yet completed)

Black Consul Space Marines Chapter (PIC HEAVY) 071

Storm Raven

Black Consul Space Marines Chapter (PIC HEAVY) 072

So yeah, that's the army so far. So where next? Well, as you can probably tell, I've been trying to freehand the black consul symbol. However, I discovered that you can order shoulder pads from Games Workshop with the symbol already cast on them:

Black Consul Space Marines Chapter (PIC HEAVY) 074

So if they work, I'll start using them as standard. I've also got a squad of veterans waiting to be put together and painted up, using the marines Dark Angels veteren box.

What I'm currently working on though is a Land Raider Crusader. I was given one for my birtday from the in-laws (proof that God exists) and have ordered from forge world some land raider doors with the black consul symbol on. I've also been given by a good mate some old Rogue Trader tank crew marines, so I'm going to paint them up and put them inside the Land Raider to add character - when the doors open, you'll see them!!

Black Consul Space Marines Chapter (PIC HEAVY) 075

Black Consul Space Marines Chapter (PIC HEAVY) 076

So yeah, hope people like! As always, comments and (helpful) criticisms welcome!
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Black Consul Space Marines Chapter (PIC HEAVY)   Black Consul Space Marines Chapter (PIC HEAVY) I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 17, 2012 10:03 pm

Good job. The Termies are great... and the Scouts... WOW! Love 'em. Specially the guy with the bush-hat. Hehehehe. The 'dancing' RT Marines will be a nice touch for your raider.

Suggestions? None from me. I would be happy when you send them to me! HA! WHAT?!?!!? I can dream...
Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
Narcissus

Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: Black Consul Space Marines Chapter (PIC HEAVY)   Black Consul Space Marines Chapter (PIC HEAVY) I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 2:31 am

I like the ornate metalwork on the bases. What is it from? They would look great with a nice rust treatment!
Back to top Go down
http://rustandthecity.blogspot.com/
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Black Consul Space Marines Chapter (PIC HEAVY)   Black Consul Space Marines Chapter (PIC HEAVY) I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 8:23 am

Narcissus wrote:
They would look great with a nice rust treatment!
Second the idea!
Back to top Go down
Da Bank

Da Bank

PostSubject: Re: Black Consul Space Marines Chapter (PIC HEAVY)   Black Consul Space Marines Chapter (PIC HEAVY) I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 12:28 pm

I love the idea of a "lost" chapter or a chapter that is isolated and has limited supplies and etc.

That is why I like the Night Lords. I do not like Space Marines, either Good or Evil but I am drawn to the Night Lords (through the 3-4 novels) as theirs is a struggle to survive and have relevance.

Keep up the good work.

Not sure on the scout with the cowboy hat. Smile
Back to top Go down
DoZer

DoZer

PostSubject: Re: Black Consul Space Marines Chapter (PIC HEAVY)   Black Consul Space Marines Chapter (PIC HEAVY) I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 2:20 pm

Just a quick question before I say anything else: Is this supposed to be a 40k legal army? Or is this just a "like the model, collect and paint what I like" army.
Back to top Go down
s4dfish

s4dfish

PostSubject: Re: Black Consul Space Marines Chapter (PIC HEAVY)   Black Consul Space Marines Chapter (PIC HEAVY) I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 4:18 pm

Those bases are nifty. Some weathering/distressing would really make them pop.
Back to top Go down
Matt12z

Matt12z

PostSubject: Re: Black Consul Space Marines Chapter (PIC HEAVY)   Black Consul Space Marines Chapter (PIC HEAVY) I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2012 11:40 am

Hey All,

Thanks for the feedback - I'm pretty glad that people seem to like the models.

First of all, quite a few of you have suggested doing something more with the bases - making them "pop", as s4dfish puts it - but I must confess I don't really know how - bases are one of my weaker areas of the hobby. I don't suppose anyone could point me in the direction of a good tutorial?

Just to respond to a few comments:

@Narcissus - The bases for the termie's were actually some "Steam punk" inspired brass discs, found in Hobbycraft. I trimmed away the outer edge of each disc to make them the same size as the termie bases (went through two sets of clippers...not the best idea...), then drybrushed chainmail silver and a heavy wash of Asurmen Blue. And then left.

@DaBank - I'm not too sure about the cowboy hat either. But in my defense, I was playing a lot of Red Dead Redemption at the time!

@Dozer - If I'm honest a little bit of both.

Let me be honest. I don't know many people my own age (28) who play this game. As such, I tend to paint, collect and convert what grabs my attention, or what I can afford. Now, the army was legal - I have played two games since starting the hobby, both against the son of a friend of the family. At that time, I was able to field a 2500 pt army. The Librarian was counted as a BA captain with a Force Shield and Power Hammer. My two troop choices where the tactical squad and the scout squad.

Personally speaking, I'd like another tactical squad, just to ensure it's legal. I haven't played 6th Ed., so don't really know if any of my army is legal anymore. So instead, for now, I'm just painting what I like. And what I like...well, is what you see!

Hope that all makes sense!

Matt
Back to top Go down
DoZer

DoZer

PostSubject: Re: Black Consul Space Marines Chapter (PIC HEAVY)   Black Consul Space Marines Chapter (PIC HEAVY) I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2012 12:07 pm

Sparrow2z wrote:

@Dozer - If I'm honest a little bit of both.

Let me be honest. I don't know many people my own age (28) who play this game. As such, I tend to paint, collect and convert what grabs my attention, or what I can afford. Now, the army was legal - I have played two games since starting the hobby, both against the son of a friend of the family. At that time, I was able to field a 2500 pt army. The Librarian was counted as a BA captain with a Force Shield and Power Hammer. My two troop choices where the tactical squad and the scout squad.

Personally speaking, I'd like another tactical squad, just to ensure it's legal. I haven't played 6th Ed., so don't really know if any of my army is legal anymore. So instead, for now, I'm just painting what I like. And what I like...well, is what you see!

Mind putting up your list that you played? I'd be interested in seeing what you've got running.

However, just by looking at the models and going by the all important rule of WYSIWYG, your army is NOT legal, specifically Termie squad 1. You can only have one special weapon per 5 termies, hence the CML and Assault cannon are doubled up. Now I can understand going "well I am just playing with the CML today", but it could and probably has lead to some confusion. My suggestion....magnets. Its really simple to do, and with all the extra bits that come in the boxes it should be simple switch. That way you can have one "designated" special weapons trooper and you can swap the weapons out on him whenever you feel like it.

But going back to my first sentence, I really want to see your lists, and maybe I could give you some pointers. Also something to look into is Vassal 40k. This is a game modulator that would allow you to play test lists before you even go out and purchase the models, thereby preventing any purchases that don't do anything for you (I have one or two of those myself).
Back to top Go down
Matt12z

Matt12z

PostSubject: Re: Black Consul Space Marines Chapter (PIC HEAVY)   Black Consul Space Marines Chapter (PIC HEAVY) I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 3:31 am

DoZer wrote:
. You can only have one special weapon per 5 termies, hence the CML and Assault cannon are doubled up. Now I can understand going "well I am just playing with the CML today", but it could and probably has lead to some confusion.

Well, I...Huh. I had not realised that the CML and Assault cannon could not be doubled up.

I'll chuck up an army list when I get chance, though it may not be for a while.
Back to top Go down
Da Bank

Da Bank

PostSubject: Re: Black Consul Space Marines Chapter (PIC HEAVY)   Black Consul Space Marines Chapter (PIC HEAVY) I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 7:00 am

Sparrow:; Have you had time to write some background on your Chapter?
Back to top Go down
Gatlag Stonetooth

Gatlag Stonetooth

PostSubject: Re: Black Consul Space Marines Chapter (PIC HEAVY)   Black Consul Space Marines Chapter (PIC HEAVY) I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 8:23 am

That's quite a force you've got there! I like your own take on some of the models! Like that terminator librarian. That's not something you see everyday, and I mean that in the best possible way! Smile Keep up the goods!

BTW I dig the cowbay hat, but I also loved Red Dead Redemption! Very Happy

@Dozer: what's that Vassal 40K exactly? I had a quick look, but since I'm at work I've no time to check it out thoroughly. Is it an automated armylist tester? Or do you play against other players online?
Back to top Go down
DoZer

DoZer

PostSubject: Re: Black Consul Space Marines Chapter (PIC HEAVY)   Black Consul Space Marines Chapter (PIC HEAVY) I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 12:08 pm

Gatlag Stonetooth wrote:
@Dozer: what's that Vassal 40K exactly? I had a quick look, but since I'm at work I've no time to check it out thoroughly. Is it an automated armylist tester? Or do you play against other players online?
You actually play. It's got LOS lines, range measuring, rulers, everything you would normally use in a 40k game. The only exception is that it's an eagle eye view (2d). So some cover and "levels" would need to be agreed upon prior to game start. It's got chat windows and private lobby options, as well as slots for people to watch.
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: Black Consul Space Marines Chapter (PIC HEAVY)   Black Consul Space Marines Chapter (PIC HEAVY) I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 20, 2012 2:36 pm

I'm no Vassal expert... I have played 40k using Vassal a few times against Dozer (who seems to have infinite patience explaining me the software over and over... heheheh).

It is actually pretty cool. You get to play 40k on the PC against somone else, be a friend or a random stranger. You make you own list (pencil & paper, army builder, etc), but instead of models, you use Vassal. With the software, each model is represented by a little picture (sprite) that looks like the model. Also, Vassal allows you to measure the distances (exactly) and roll dice. The 'watching' mode is fun... I have seen Dozer and jd3 fight out the weirdest experimental lists.

While it is NEVER the same as playing 40k, it is a great tool to test army lists before buying models (for those who play competitive) or for those schmucks (like me!) who don't have anyone to play with.
Back to top Go down
Gatlag Stonetooth

Gatlag Stonetooth

PostSubject: Re: Black Consul Space Marines Chapter (PIC HEAVY)   Black Consul Space Marines Chapter (PIC HEAVY) I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 21, 2012 12:51 pm

Ah ok, sounds indeed good to try out before you buy. Unfortunately I already have bought more than I can ever finish. Just Kidding
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Black Consul Space Marines Chapter (PIC HEAVY)   Black Consul Space Marines Chapter (PIC HEAVY) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Black Consul Space Marines Chapter (PIC HEAVY)
Page 1 of 1