Death Squads Game Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

WH40k for Noobs

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Lord GreyWolf

Lord GreyWolf

WH40k for Noobs Empty
PostSubject: WH40k for Noobs   WH40k for Noobs I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 11, 2012 10:46 pm

ok one of my local forums has me almost tempted to actually make a WH40k army...

A VERY SMALL force nothing massive...

So my question to lot is what to collect?

whats cheap?
Easy to get?
some thing I can kit bash

and if you have any kit you would like to donate then send me a PM with what you got.... last time I rolled with WH40k I wrote up a programe for my Robots which failed as they merely sat around looking all shiny. And my Chaos Dreadnought killed more of my army then it did of the enemy...

I also had two Bloodslaugghter Daemon Engines in my army so I think it was around the end of the 2nd Edition and heading over to 3rd... so a while ago...

any advice would be great....

umm is there any rules for Genesteller cult?

Cheers
LGW
Back to top Go down
Arachas

Arachas

WH40k for Noobs Empty
PostSubject: Re: WH40k for Noobs   WH40k for Noobs I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2012 1:17 am

Weeeell... I just sold off all my IG tanks. Pretty much done with 40k, I don't expect to be playing it ever again. I still have some Blood Angels stuff lying around though, if you're interested. Wink

Anything else... this is GW stuff you're talking about. Never comes cheap, unless you can make a good deal with someone.
Back to top Go down
Lord GreyWolf

Lord GreyWolf

WH40k for Noobs Empty
PostSubject: Re: WH40k for Noobs   WH40k for Noobs I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2012 1:28 am

Not sure one where I am going to go with this.

I do Like Chaos Nurgle and Slaanesh but thinking along the lines of a Space Marine force that has been corrupted to either Nurgle or Slaanesh.

Not fully corrupted just the starting of it.. So not many Mutations, and their armour is a mix match of chaos and space marines some even have old emblems on them...

Not sure whether I want Blood Angels as the back drop for this project or have Space Wolves... or maybe Grey Knights that succumbed to the will of chaos...

or trying to make a small WH40k army on a Budget under $XXX amount and using either bitz or NON-GW minis..

Another option is to go down a NON-GW path and make an army that is completely out of the Norm.

I've heard of Lego WH40k Armies, Hello Kitty armies, and many more so maybe something like that..

Curious as to what others think and some feedback from you lot.

Cheers
LGW
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

WH40k for Noobs Empty
PostSubject: Re: WH40k for Noobs   WH40k for Noobs I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2012 3:05 am

Descent of Angels is a cheap (but not necesarily effective) force wth around 35 models to 1500 points (meaning cheapish). Alternatively, go for Grey Knights paladins with the Grey Knight Grandmaster (I forget his name) or good old Ravenwing - lots of Dark Vengeance Termie squads going cheap on ebay by now (though you'll need to bits site cyclone launchers and maybe cough up for a land raider before you're done).

Anything using dark vengeance parts should be fairly reasonable (at least in GW terms)

Don't bother with any horde force.

I hope this helps!

Laney:D
Back to top Go down
Lord GreyWolf

Lord GreyWolf

WH40k for Noobs Empty
PostSubject: Re: WH40k for Noobs   WH40k for Noobs I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2012 3:08 am

Dark Angels don't interest me at all... even Blood Angels are meh... but wait....

I keep on forgetting but I'll be getting some Judge Dredd minis shortly

Citi-def Squad [could easily stand in for IG]
WH40k for Noobs Jdcitidef

Also got the Demonic Cabal that could easily stand in as Chaos cultist and the above mention Citi-def as their soldiers. The Cabal Comes with demons.
The Zombie Mistress could be some Nurgle Agent, Also have a Sniper that could fit into the group...

And the Judges could be used as Arbites.... Plus ABC warriors could be used as either walkers, dreadnoughts, or some heavy elite units..

The Dark Judge could easily Fit into one of the four chaos powers
Judge Death = Khorne
Mortis = Nurgle
Fire = Tzeetch
Fear = Slaanesh

paint them up in the chaos god colours... this could work.... its an option a really good one to...

what do you all think?

LGW
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

WH40k for Noobs Empty
PostSubject: Re: WH40k for Noobs   WH40k for Noobs I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2012 2:19 pm

If it's IG then you'll need lots of minis (I built my footslogger army up through lots of Death Squads - I should get some tanks, but unless their historical I'm not that interested).

Chaos is an option, but something might even better...

An Inquisitorial henchman army - With coteaz you can have as many henchmen as you like and they are free of limitations, plus you could have space marines to support. You could even go for an inquisitor on the more radical/corrupted side. This would let you use all the models you have from the Judge Dredd series.

Did you go in for Sedition Wars - the models for that would fit this type of army perfectly (with lots of daemonhosts and deathcult assassins in the form of the strain).

Back to top Go down
Lord GreyWolf

Lord GreyWolf

WH40k for Noobs Empty
PostSubject: Re: WH40k for Noobs   WH40k for Noobs I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 12, 2012 2:51 pm

The thing about this project if I get it off the ground is I will ONLY use the Judge Dredd range from Mongoose.

I haven't seen what is in the Chaos Codex so not really sure what the squads are or what I could use the Dredd stuff to represent.

but here is what I got so far:[or will eventually have]

16 Citi-def range of different weapond
7 to 8 Cultists and Demons [some of the cultists have mutations]
7 ABC warriors [I think its 7 though it could be 6]
4 Dark judges [there spirit forms are included as well]
12+ Judges [could be the elite guard or even depending on the paint and if I add pads marines]
7+ individual models that could be used as characters, assassins, etc
3x weapon sprues

I could flesh the lot out by getting another box of Citi-def and a couple boxes of Zombies to use as Nurgle troops.
And A box of Special weapon judges to flesh out the Elite units.
The prowler tank and Pad-wagons can be used for some kind of tank and transport options also there are the Lawgiver bikes...etc...

But the one thing to remember this project is set at 500pts.
this is away to steer players away from those massive Bucket of dice wars we all hear about and to bring the game down to a different level.

the Challenge is to fit the Judge Dredd range into an existing WH40k army that is accurate. This will be merely for fun not tournaments or the likes just friendly games.

cheers
LGW

Back to top Go down
DoZer

DoZer

WH40k for Noobs Empty
PostSubject: Re: WH40k for Noobs   WH40k for Noobs I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2012 9:23 am

CSM is not a bad way to go. They have lots of solid troop choices and some dirt cheap HQs that can really beat face.

I've got the codex in pdf if you are interested in taking a look at it before you invest a lot of money.

One thing is crucial though: If you are looking to introduce people into the game, keep it small, and keep it elite. I say elite because generally those "types" of armies are the most forgiving to new players as the units themselves are extremely durable. Examples of Elite type armies: Deathwing, Loganwing, GKT with Paladins, even a fleshed out Nurgle army from the new CSM. IG is really a bad way to go. You have a lot of intracacies with platoons and even in a 1500 point game you can top out at 100+ models. KISS......the smaller the amount of models you have, the easier it is to manage the army and the easier it is to learn the core rules.

I also see you comment about massive buckets of dice: 6th edition isn't really like that anymore. With HPs on vehicles, and the way wounding works on squads on foot removes the wound allocation shenanigans from 5th. Now its all about model placement. Things drop a LOT faster than they did in 5th, and vehicles aren't the be-all-end-all they used to be. I also think one of the best things they did was the new rules for flyers, which really added an amazing dimension to the game it never had before.
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

WH40k for Noobs Empty
PostSubject: Re: WH40k for Noobs   WH40k for Noobs I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2012 4:07 pm

DoZer, you are the only person I know that can make rules sound exciting. I'm desperately trying to avoid the '40k itch' (sounds nasty) at the minute and there you go with your cool stuff about 'model placement' and 'rules for flyers'.Just Kidding

Still, a very interesting discussion here - anyone else got any ideas?

Laney Very Happy
Back to top Go down
DoZer

DoZer

WH40k for Noobs Empty
PostSubject: Re: WH40k for Noobs   WH40k for Noobs I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2012 5:35 pm

Laney wrote:
DoZer, you are the only person I know that can make rules sound exciting. I'm desperately trying to avoid the '40k itch' (sounds nasty) at the minute and there you go with your cool stuff about 'model placement' and 'rules for flyers'.Just Kidding

Still, a very interesting discussion here - anyone else got any ideas?

Laney Very Happy
Yea there's a lot of neat things about 6th that people tend to overlook after the power gaming fiasco of 5th. Things like allies, mysterious terrain and objectives, flyers, warlord traits, embarked into buildings, fortifications, and random psychic powers. It shows that the list does not win games, but the player who can handle these random occurrences.
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

WH40k for Noobs Empty
PostSubject: Re: WH40k for Noobs   WH40k for Noobs I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 13, 2012 6:10 pm

5th turned lots of people off and it doesn't take too long for non-power gamers to get bored wth those sorts of shenanigans at the local GW.

With 6th it sounds like I need to break into my dark vengeance box and have a proper look at this new ruleset then!

Cheers Laney:D
Back to top Go down
Lord GreyWolf

Lord GreyWolf

WH40k for Noobs Empty
PostSubject: Re: WH40k for Noobs   WH40k for Noobs I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 2:22 am

ok my Bucket of Dice comment was most likely aimed at the 5th edition

The 6th edition sounds pretty good. I am going to have to see if any types of flyers are going to be made for the Judge Dredd range and I hope they do.

Well I have found out that I can add more stuff to my Judge Dredd Kickstarter Order so if you great bunch of guys have a look at this link let me know what you think I could or should add to make this project work.

Judge Dredd Mini range

LGW
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

WH40k for Noobs Empty
PostSubject: Re: WH40k for Noobs   WH40k for Noobs I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 2:54 am

I can't really advise until you have a list up. But, I will say that the robo dog would be perfect for the Arbites Squad...

WH40k for Noobs Jdrobodog

Laney
Back to top Go down
Lord GreyWolf

Lord GreyWolf

WH40k for Noobs Empty
PostSubject: Re: WH40k for Noobs   WH40k for Noobs I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 3:24 am

mmmm you always remind of the good things I miss.

I'll have a think about it.

What list can be used for the Arbites? I recently got the Grey Knight book from amate and I am going to have a read of it see what I think I am waiting to see if I can borrow some ones copy of the chaos codex and see what is in there.

Cheers
LGW
Back to top Go down
Arachas

Arachas

WH40k for Noobs Empty
PostSubject: Re: WH40k for Noobs   WH40k for Noobs I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 3:58 am

Laney wrote:
5th turned lots of people off and it doesn't take too long for non-power gamers to get bored wth those sorts of shenanigans at the local GW.

With 6th it sounds like I need to break into my dark vengeance box and have a proper look at this new ruleset then!

Cheers Laney:D

I am one of these people. I've actually just sold my IG tanks, knowing I would never go back to 40k. And I can't for the life of me imagine 6th is any better than the apparent randomness of 5th. For me, 40k was just listbuilding and figuring out who to pile your shots on. And then a lot of luck.

Are you saying it's become better than that, DoZer?
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

WH40k for Noobs Empty
PostSubject: Re: WH40k for Noobs   WH40k for Noobs I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 14, 2012 6:07 pm

GK henchmen all the way for arbites from a fluff point of view (and the Knights themselves can represent elite or heavy armoured arbites - maybe with the backing of an inquisitor or two!).

Back to top Go down
Lord GreyWolf

Lord GreyWolf

WH40k for Noobs Empty
PostSubject: Re: WH40k for Noobs   WH40k for Noobs I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 15, 2012 2:30 am

The more I am thinking the more I want my chaos army...

Characters:
Judge Fear Slaanesh
Judge Fire Tzeentch
Judge Mortis Nurgle
Judge Death Khorne
Judge Dredd Undivided

units:
Street Judges
Cadet Judges
Citi-def [Khorne,
Demonic Cabaal [Tzentch]
ABC Warriors [Tzeentch or Khorne] maybe used as a Squad of Chaos Marines.
Zombies [Nurgle]

other minis:
Pyroteknic [Tzeentch]
Oola Blint [Slaanesh]
The Executioner [Slaanesh]
Sabal [Nurgle]

still working through the minis to see what Else I can get but I need to see the chaos codex first.

LGW

Back to top Go down
Lord GreyWolf

Lord GreyWolf

WH40k for Noobs Empty
PostSubject: Re: WH40k for Noobs   WH40k for Noobs I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2012 3:40 pm

so for me to get a chaos cult army/rules/stats etc I have to wait and see what the Chaos codex 6th Edition has in it?

any one got any spoilers for me? I see its going to be a list that would require a crap load of minis...

Could I use the Judges as Chaos Marines?

anyone know what units are in the chaos cult list?

Cheers
LGW

Back to top Go down
DoZer

DoZer

WH40k for Noobs Empty
PostSubject: Re: WH40k for Noobs   WH40k for Noobs I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2012 3:48 pm

I've got the new dex in PDF if you want. I can PM you the link.

Dozer
Back to top Go down
Lord GreyWolf

Lord GreyWolf

WH40k for Noobs Empty
PostSubject: Re: WH40k for Noobs   WH40k for Noobs I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2012 4:02 pm

I got ummm *cough* a copy....

after having a quick look not sure I can do a Chaos cult army it would take a bucket load of minis to get it done.

And due to the Lack of armour on the Judges they certainly not going to look like marines.

The citi-def maybe to well armed for mere cultists. I do like the ability that Lord Typhus gives the cultist and basically turns them into zombies.. Nice!!.

its not that a cultist army couldn't be done the Judge dredd range has some nice minis but its just not going to be cheap.

mmmm back to square one I think.

LGW

Back to top Go down
Lord GreyWolf

Lord GreyWolf

WH40k for Noobs Empty
PostSubject: Re: WH40k for Noobs   WH40k for Noobs I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 18, 2012 7:43 pm

just had a peek at the chaos codex [6th] and I see that entry for chaos Cultist its interesting.

just not sure how I can go about the selection...

HQ:
Judge Death: KHARN THE BETRAYER
Judge Fire: AHRIMAN
Judge Mortis:TYPHUS
Judge Fear: LUCIUS THE ETERNAL
Judge Dredd: HURON BLACKHEART
Judge Anderson: CHAOS SORCERER
Sabbat: DARK APOSTLE
Zombie Mistress: DARK APOSTLE
going to show how noob I am but can I take all 6 characters?

Units:

Cultists:
1 Champion of Chaos [Cabaal Leader, Citi-def leader]
9 Chaos Cultists [Demonic Cabaal,Citi-def]

Cultists:
1 Champion of Chaos [Cabaal Leader, Citi-def leader]
9 Chaos Cultists [Demonic Cabaal,Citi-def]

Chosen:
1 Chosen Champion [SJS, Judges Dekker, Giant, Fergie,]
4 Chosen [Street Judges, Street Judge Heavy weapons/special weapons]

Chosen:
1 Chosen Champion [SJS, Judges Dekker, Giant, Fergie,]
4 Chosen [Street Judges, Street Judge Heavy weapons/special weapons]

Plague Marines: NEED TO ORDER
1 Plague Champion [Zombie Street Judge+ Weapon sprue]
4 Plague Marines [Zombies+ weapon sprue]

Possessed:
1 Possessed [Demons from Demonic Cabaal]
4 Possessed [Demons from Demonic Cabaal]

Chaos Terminators:
1 Terminator Champion [ABC Warriors]
5 Chaos Terminators [ABC Warriors]

Obliterators: NEED TO ORDER
3 Obliterators [Apocalypse Judges]

Chaos Bikers: NEED TO ORDER
1 Chaos Biker Champion [Street Judge on Lawmaker]
2 Chaos Bikers [Street Judge on Lawmaker]

Nurgle Bikers: NEED TO ORDER
1 Nurgle Biker Champion [Zombies Bikers]
2 Nurgle Bikers [Zombies Bikers]

To do the above list all I would need to order the following:
1x Box set of Apocalypse Judges [$30USD]
1x Box set of Demonic Cabal [$30USD]
1x Box set of Street Judges on Lawmakers [$30USD]
1x Box set of Zombies on Bikes [$30USD]
1x Box set of Zombies [$30USD]

Total: $150USD [$185NZD]

So still alot cheaper then actually buying GW stuff. Will have to see if I can do this but it may take a few weeks to save up for it... well into the new year.

Please let me know if I am on the right track.. I am still trying to see if I can get some Assassin Droids and the Sov Block Sent Droid would be a good walker.

Cheers
LGW
Back to top Go down
DoZer

DoZer

WH40k for Noobs Empty
PostSubject: Re: WH40k for Noobs   WH40k for Noobs I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 23, 2012 11:09 am

Is this just one army list?

I'll take a look closer a little bit later and give you some more feedback
Back to top Go down
Lord GreyWolf

Lord GreyWolf

WH40k for Noobs Empty
PostSubject: Re: WH40k for Noobs   WH40k for Noobs I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 23, 2012 2:55 pm

DoZer wrote:
Is this just one army list?

I'll take a look closer a little bit later and give you some more feedback

Thx Dozer and yes its one list. I am a real noob with regards to WH40k last time I played we had robots and Bloodslaughters.

Cheers
LGW
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

WH40k for Noobs Empty
PostSubject: Re: WH40k for Noobs   WH40k for Noobs I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

WH40k for Noobs
Page 1 of 1