Death Squads Game Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

DV Chaos Space Marine

Go down 
+6
Gatlag Stonetooth
Komfritten
mudboy
Narcissus
Arachas
Laney
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Laney

Laney

DV Chaos Space Marine Empty
PostSubject: DV Chaos Space Marine   DV Chaos Space Marine I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 24, 2012 9:17 am

Here is an unconverted Tzeentch Marine for my chaos cultist squad. He is still a WIP, but I'm quite liking the colour scheme (trying to stay true to tzeentch, while avoiding the egyptian yellow/gold and royal blue of the thousand sons).

DV Chaos Space Marine P1010214

DV Chaos Space Marine P1010215

And a slightly closer view...

DV Chaos Space Marine P1010216

Any comments welcomed

Laney Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Arachas

Arachas

PostSubject: Re: DV Chaos Space Marine   DV Chaos Space Marine I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 24, 2012 2:01 pm

VERY sleek paint job. It's almost like this kind of stuff brings out your skills better, than the camo jobs on the Orks and IG. Me gusta!
Back to top Go down
Narcissus

Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: DV Chaos Space Marine   DV Chaos Space Marine I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 24, 2012 2:26 pm

I like the cool colour tones and dynamic base. Really brings out the quality of this model.
Back to top Go down
http://rustandthecity.blogspot.com/
mudboy

mudboy

PostSubject: Re: DV Chaos Space Marine   DV Chaos Space Marine I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 24, 2012 2:52 pm

Beautyfull!!

Is it the grey areas the priming?
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: DV Chaos Space Marine   DV Chaos Space Marine I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 24, 2012 7:51 pm

Cheers Gents - I suppose I'd better get him finished then!

Mudboy - You're right the grey is primer, most of which will be replaced by bone or silver. I was wondering what to do with the rounded stones on the base to make it a little more eye catching and the tubes/cables on the model itself - any suggestions?

Laney
Back to top Go down
Narcissus

Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: DV Chaos Space Marine   DV Chaos Space Marine I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 24, 2012 10:44 pm

Some rust pigments would add some orange colour that would really contrast nicely with the blue.
Back to top Go down
http://rustandthecity.blogspot.com/
Komfritten

Komfritten

PostSubject: Re: DV Chaos Space Marine   DV Chaos Space Marine I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 25, 2012 6:45 am

This colour scheme complements your painting technique like crazy! I really think it's good, and your in-your-face highlights are spot on with this mini, plus your interpretation of where the higlight end and some "freehand" start, are superb - I really like the triangles at the eye for example.

Are the paint wet, or do you have some glossy on it too?

Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: DV Chaos Space Marine   DV Chaos Space Marine I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 25, 2012 10:49 am

I'll think about the rust/orange Narcissus, that might just work.

Thanks for the comments Komfritten - the glossy bit comes from using the new GW blue glaze, which along with the new washes all seems to come up glossy. I hate glossy models, so this will get a coating of humbrol mattcoat when it is finished to take the edge off, hopefully it will not ruin the overall effect.

On the highlights - I find it really difficult to determine where to put a highlight on a rounded surface (e.g. shoulder pad). I have found that working with very watery paints and drawing the colour (kind of wet blending I suppose) across the surface of the model works best.

Cheers Laney
Back to top Go down
mudboy

mudboy

PostSubject: Re: DV Chaos Space Marine   DV Chaos Space Marine I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 25, 2012 11:24 am

What primer are you using?
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: DV Chaos Space Marine   DV Chaos Space Marine I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 25, 2012 12:31 pm

Humbrol acrylic spray primer - great coverage (even on metals - which I've always hated priming). Needs more effort to paint than black primer, but gives a more vibrant finish to the final colour (my wife is always complaining that my models are too dark!).

Laney
Back to top Go down
mudboy

mudboy

PostSubject: Re: DV Chaos Space Marine   DV Chaos Space Marine I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 25, 2012 1:25 pm

Cool, thanks.
Back to top Go down
Gatlag Stonetooth

Gatlag Stonetooth

PostSubject: Re: DV Chaos Space Marine   DV Chaos Space Marine I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 28, 2012 10:28 am

Looking great as always!
And I was also wondering about that primer, you already told me about it earlier so now I knew, but the first thing I thought when I saw those pics was "is he painting over the bare plastic?!". Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Lord GreyWolf

Lord GreyWolf

PostSubject: Re: DV Chaos Space Marine   DV Chaos Space Marine I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 28, 2012 9:24 pm

dam Laney I love your style of painting and the colours are awesome...

looking forward to seeing the model finished. also like the dynamic pose very cool.

great work if only I could filter 10% of your skills I'd be a happy gamer.

LGW
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: DV Chaos Space Marine   DV Chaos Space Marine I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2012 2:52 pm

This is a thing of beauty! Any updates?
Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: DV Chaos Space Marine   DV Chaos Space Marine I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2012 4:27 pm

No progress since the last pic (sorry!) - I've not picked up a paintbrush or (craft)knife in anger for weeks!

Too much work on at the minute - but I have a week free after Christmas (painting time!)

Laney:D
Back to top Go down
horrid

horrid

PostSubject: Re: DV Chaos Space Marine   DV Chaos Space Marine I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 12, 2012 10:16 pm

The cool palette is striking and I'm liking it. Narcissus has the right idea; You could increase the impact even more by adding in the contrasting hint of rust he mentioned. I'd like to see it somewhere in the groundwork rather than added to the model himself.
Back to top Go down
dwi

dwi

PostSubject: Re: DV Chaos Space Marine   DV Chaos Space Marine I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2013 6:47 am

Slick painting there Laney.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DV Chaos Space Marine   DV Chaos Space Marine I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

DV Chaos Space Marine
Page 1 of 1