Death Squads Game Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG

Go down 
+6
ClausLars
Lord GreyWolf
Laney
Gatlag Stonetooth
Narcissus
Matt12z
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Lord GreyWolf

Lord GreyWolf

Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG   Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 5:38 am

find any shield that you like the emblem on and then heat up the back of it and mush it into his chest.
as long as it wasn't to hot the actual emblem will show up but the rest of the shield should blend in with his chest.

it would give it some more depth or make it less flat looking just a random idea.

LGW
Back to top Go down
horrid

horrid

PostSubject: Re: Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG   Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2013 11:41 pm

If you are want to transfer a symbol to the chest from an existing part have you considered using a GS press mold? It's really easy to cast a copy of a single "faced" object (an insignia you might like from a shield), then stamp the impression onto a a small piece of GS you place on your model. If you have decided to go more minimalist this would remove the middleman/shield from the equation.

Do you have a plan for armouring the torso yet? Techmarine stuff can get pretty intricate because it's supposed to be artificer kit but a clean version of a vintage mark would probably be enough to give it a suitable pedigree without going too over the top.

Lamentors symbology isn't that harsh. I'm confident you could free sculpt a nice looking heart that would make the grade. If in doubt you could sculpt the heart separate from the model and make a stamp of your heart once you were satisfied with the result. You could also apply several presses of the same mold which is a decent trick to convince a viewer the model is solid. Humans are silly beasts and like order. Uniformity=Good.
Back to top Go down
Matt12z

Matt12z

PostSubject: Re: Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG   Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2013 5:26 am

@LGW - I like the idea, but I'm not too sure if I want to try that on this. Besides, me+flames=bad idea.

@horrid - I have considered a green stuff mold. It's just a case of figuring out what I want to mold. As for what I have planned for the torso...that's still a work in progress. I did consider free-handing said torso, hoping that my painting would be up to the challenge. But now...now I'm not too sure. The more I look at the pictures, the more I realise that I've got a lot of work to do.

Lamenter's symbology isn't that hard (though it's a bugger to paint the chapter badge on the shoulder pad freehand), but I'm going to avoid putting a big heart front and centre on his chest piece - I don't want him to look like a Care Bear!

Matt
Back to top Go down
Matt12z

Matt12z

PostSubject: Re: Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG   Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 14, 2013 5:44 pm

Evening all,

Quick update. Took some time to work a little more on my models. See if you can spot the difference.

Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG - Page 2 005-4_zps4408087c

Yup! Techmarine back pack.

Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG - Page 2 003-4_zps354f5aed

still a bit of work to do on it. I've also done a bit more work on the arm since these photos were taken, specifically where the pad meets the body. I've also, slightly, thickened the waist and added a pistol and scrolls near where his axe arm is. I'll stick more photos up when I get the chance.

Matt
Back to top Go down
Matt12z

Matt12z

PostSubject: Almost finished!   Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2013 7:32 am

Morning all,

So, it's been a while since I updated this thing. Partly, it's because work has been busy. And partly, because of personal stuff - the past few weeks have not been...fun. But I digress.

I've finished the model and slapped some paint on it. A few notes before we come to the pictures:

- I've got rid of the techmarine backpack, for two reasons. First, I just wanted to get some paint on the model, and I wasn't happy with the back pack. Secondly, resin is fragile. I know this is public knowledge, but it was still a headache - I couldn't bring myself to fix it when one of the "prongs" snapped off.

- He's no longer a techmarine. I just went back to my original idea - I want this guy to be an army commander.

Right, Pictures!

Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG - Page 2 030-1_zpsf002958f
Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG - Page 2 032-1_zpsdb7341ba
Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG - Page 2 033_zps5242eb61
Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG - Page 2 034_zpsb55130e2

List of bits used:

Deathwing Termie Legs from DA upgrade spru,
Backpack from DA upgrade spru,
Holstered pistol and censor bearer from DA upgrade spru,
rolled up parchments from Termie spru,
shoulder pad (axe arm) from old Space Marine Terminator Captain arm,
Arm (Axe arm), from Scibor Miniatures (Egyptian Warrior),
Axe head from maxmini,
Axe power plant from Space Marine Chainsword,
Axe shaft from Empire militia spru,
Shoulder banner (on axe arm), from Termie Sprue,
Powerfist Arm from old Space Marine Terminator Captain model,
Body and head from Scibor Miniatures (Egyptian warrior),
Space marine helmet from Space marine squad spru,
knife / waterbottle from cadian spru,
Base from Nurgle Chaos Lord,
Plasticard,
Greenstuff,
Cordage,
Wire.

Think that's everything. I'm not 100% happy with the paintjob, but I'm really out of time, so it'll have to do for the comp! I will work more on it in the weeks to come...

Hope people like.

Matt

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT

just checked the other thread, only to discover the new deadline is the 7th March. So I'm not completely finished. Still time to work a little more on it!

Matt

Last edited by Matt12z on Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:37 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : discovery of new deadline date)
Back to top Go down
Gatlag Stonetooth

Gatlag Stonetooth

PostSubject: Re: Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG   Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2013 12:47 pm

Sorry to hear the last few weeks weren't that good, hope you're doing better now.
The model looks cool! I like it even better without the techmarine pack. Smile
Yes, you still have some time more. So you can make some little improvements.
Personally I would paint the rims of the base but perhaps you like it that way. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG   Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kit Bash Challenge - Matt12z's PLOG
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Death Squads Game Forums :: Death Squads - Community :: Painting & Modeling-
Jump to: