Death Squads Game Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

In need of a bit of advice...

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
MathiasDark

MathiasDark

In need of a bit of advice... Empty
PostSubject: In need of a bit of advice...   In need of a bit of advice... I_icon_minitimeSun May 02, 2010 5:47 pm

Bear with me guys, this could be a long one, so, sorry! confused

1: What would you guys recommend for using as a window frame? I'm thinking of making myself a partially ruined house...maybe with a partial tower at one end. Probably be using foamboard, but I hate using masking tape to cover the gaps. I was thinking thin strips of card, just large enough to overhang outside the building slightly. (I won't be starting this until I've finished the mini bunker[s] I'm currently working on)

2: Does anyone have any good ways of painting stone/rockcrete? At the moment, I'm texturing the surface using watered down polyfilla, then undercoating black, drybrushing with Adeptus Battlegrey, then drybrushing with increasingly lighter shades of grey...I usually do about 2 or 3 of these drybrushed coats. Just wondering if there's a better way that looks nicer.

3. (One for all the brits here!) Do you know of a nationwide company that sells styrofoam sheets? I haven't been able to find any thicker than 5mm down here in the South West so far =[

...Well, I guess that's it...so not as long a post as I thought! LOL

Thanks in advance!
Back to top Go down
Librarian

Librarian

PostSubject: Re: In need of a bit of advice...   In need of a bit of advice... I_icon_minitimeSun May 02, 2010 10:54 pm

Hey man!

Here's some ideas:

1) card looks good. If you want something thicker, try balsa wood.

2) check this out!

3) sorry. Can't seem to find PLASTICARD around here, so... In need of a bit of advice... Icon_cry
Back to top Go down
Dysturbed

Dysturbed

PostSubject: Re: In need of a bit of advice...   In need of a bit of advice... I_icon_minitimeSun May 02, 2010 11:40 pm

for the edges of foam boad i use vinyl filler that you use to fix holes in dry wall when you are getting ready to paint.

For the window hole have you thought about cutting down some popsickle sticks? You can buy them by the hundred pack at craft stores.
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: In need of a bit of advice...   In need of a bit of advice... I_icon_minitimeMon May 03, 2010 2:21 am

I 2nd dysturbed's comment... you can buy the box of 1,000 sticks pretty cheap and you can crack them to make them irregular... or, if you want to make 'signs' then go with balsa wood like the Librarian mentioned.

Long post? Pfff... you obviously have not read MINES. Just Kidding
Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
MathiasDark

MathiasDark

PostSubject: Re: In need of a bit of advice...   In need of a bit of advice... I_icon_minitimeMon May 03, 2010 10:41 am

I've got a bag of the sticks in my terrain making box =] Keep moving them to get at my paints underneath, didn't think to use those! =/
I can pick up sheets of balsa wood in my local hobby store, it's much better than a GW store in there, plus there's no pressure selling! =D haha

Llibrarian, thanks for pointing me in that direction! I wouldn't have thought to just drybrush white onto the black! =O They come out really well =D
I'll post a few pics of the "mini bunker" I'm working on at the moment...gona start work on another one to go with it as I messed the last one up...NEVER just apply straight polyfilla as texture =[ comes out way too thick =[

I'm having a go at making some small section of fortified wall...& gona be experimenting on working on a "functional" gate that I can fit in between these two mini bunkers =]

Here's hoping the weather settles down a bit over here so my arthritis can settle down so my knuckles don't keep seizing up =] lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: In need of a bit of advice...   In need of a bit of advice... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

In need of a bit of advice...
Page 1 of 1