Death Squads Game Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Ish's Necrons

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
The ISH

The ISH

Ish's Necrons Empty
PostSubject: Ish's Necrons   Ish's Necrons I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 19, 2010 9:08 am

The Necron Tomb Spyder is an awesome unit, who rarely sees any use in my regular 40K armies... at 1,500 or 2,000 points, I prefer to spend the resources on as many Necron Warriors as I possibly can. However, I've entered into a 400 point combat patrol tourney and will not be able to have any new army ready in time. Thus I plan to field 19 Warriors and a Tomb Spyder. The ability to create scarab swarms and acting as a monstrous creature should both be potent at the small scale.

However, the official Tomb Spyder model is both expensive and fugly:
Ish's Necrons Necron_Tomb_Spyder

Thus, I've made my own:
Ish's Necrons 100_1316

Destroyer torso, Warrior head, and a pair of Scarabs for the spine/waist. The rest is from a Malifaux Steamborg Executioner. I realize that "steampunk undead" is a bit of a cliche in wargame circles these days, but its a cliche I like. My entire Necron army is done up in dirty bone white, tattered robes, etcetra. I'm aiming for a Tomb Kings in Spaaace look.

This is just the base coat and first ink wash. I ran out of the white paints I need for drybrushing and highlights. The Necron glyph on the chest, a few tubes, and sensors also all need to be picked out. But, he's mean and evil looking:
Ish's Necrons 100_1315

He needs his flight base, but one of the Emperor's Finest is here to show scale... wait... wrong Empire!
Ish's Necrons 100_1322

"I told you not too fill-out that organ donor card!"
"Shut up and run!"
Ish's Necrons 100_1321
Back to top Go down
Da Bank

Da Bank

Ish's Necrons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ish's Necrons   Ish's Necrons I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 19, 2010 9:21 am

ISH:

I freakin love it. That is great and I like the storm troopers being involved.

This would make a great Phantax.
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

Ish's Necrons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ish's Necrons   Ish's Necrons I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 19, 2010 5:40 pm

A great conversion! I did ran a Necron Army (have over 4,500 points) but 5th Edition did nerfed them to the point that facing 2 Dreadnoughts make the game impossible to win...

Ish's Necrons 40k5thEditionGaussWeapons

The model on the Motivational poster is not mine, but I did the poster itself. Just Kidding

I agree with you that the Tomb Spyder is the most undervalue model in the Necron army... if not in 40k. It is the 'smallest' (physically) of all the Monstrous Creatures, which means that he CAN get a Cover Save from almost anything slightly taller than a regular size model. Also, by creating more Scarbs (5 in 6 chances) you get 3 more Wounds that follow you around. They can shoot with Orkish precision (THAT is an oxymoron!) but can do some Close Combat Damage.

Your model is VERY good. I was very impressed by seeing the 'scarabs' torso... very original! The legs are very interesting too. I got inspired to do the same (if I ever need a 3rd Tomb Spyder) but with Tyranid Scything Talons! In case you want to see my Necrons, check out this thread!
Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
The ISH

The ISH

Ish's Necrons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ish's Necrons   Ish's Necrons I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 19, 2010 9:54 pm

The Necrons are still a decent force, but not nearly as potent as they once were... I can live the the changes to the Glancing Hits table, but their sudden fragility in hand-to-hand combat due to the sweeping advance rule revision is a huge liability.

That said, I've one two of five games played since I first started playing the `crons a few months back. Orks are dang tough.

I would like to see the Tomb Spyder, Heavy Destroyer, and Pariahs reduced in points cost by about 10%, and some sort of resistance to sweeping advance wipe-outs added in. (And maybe a lower cost HQ choice!). That should bring the army back to competitive levels.
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

Ish's Necrons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ish's Necrons   Ish's Necrons I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 21, 2010 11:03 am

I think that (besides the point cost reduction) the easiest way to de-nerf the Necrons WITHOUT overpowering them is to make them still Glance, but at -1 to the table (instead of -2). This way they have a chance (a 6!) to Destroy the vehicle, but still a larger chance (1 or 2) to just stun (or whatever it is).

If you play vs a mechanized force (the new IG, for example) you can NOT win... because the tanks will sit on the objectives and you have to make at least 3 Weapons Destroyed, 1 Immobilized and either and extra WD or I to remove the tank. By then, you have been phased. SM will do the same with even Rhinos.

Having the Glance at -1 will give the Necrons a fair fighting chance.
Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
The ISH

The ISH

Ish's Necrons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ish's Necrons   Ish's Necrons I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 21, 2010 6:21 pm

My greatest fear is that they will attempt to make the Necrons a mechanized infantry force, by adding some sort of dedicated transport.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Ish's Necrons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ish's Necrons   Ish's Necrons I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ish's Necrons
Page 1 of 1