Death Squads Game Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

My first Ork list

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
eternaldream

My first Ork list Empty
PostSubject: My first Ork list   My first Ork list I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2009 12:02 am

I thought I'd try to create a starter list for my Ork squad so I can start modeling them. After reading the book a few times, I think I have a good idea on what equipment options are best. But then again I haven't actually played any games yet, so it's all theory at this point. I think I'm putting everything together points wise. At least for the Nob he gets half priced stuff.

Nob - 137
Power Klaw
Kustom Blasta
Helmet
Iron Gob

I tried to kit him out with more expensive stuff since he gets discounted. I gave him the Power Klaw for some hard hitting punch. Plus the Blasta, because he can use both in close combat, right? He gets d3 for the PK, and 1 more with the pistol?

Weirdboy - 78
Choppa
Shoota

He just doesn't seem very reliable with his 1/3 chance of hurting himself. I don't quite understand when his psychic powers work. Do all of his powers go off during the declaring charges phase? He has some spells that affect movement, and others that shoot. So do they all go off right before movement then? Meaning he can move and shoot with a weapon if he took a -1 check on his psychic power? So I just gave him some basic equipment to help him kill stuff to gain experience.

Sneaky Boss - 96
Choppa
Kustom Blasta
Helmet

This guy is going to try to get in close via infiltration and get into close combat. He'll try to harass the enemy from afar, unless he can pick off a straggler. Being an officer, he will get 2A in close combat with his Blasta and Choppa, so I think that is the best position for him.

2x 'Ard Boyz - 144
Big Choppas
Helmet

These guys will just run at full speed towards the enemy and try to get into close combat, ducking in and out of cover. Or hiding behind the other Boyz.

3x Ork Boyz - 144
Blasta

Some cheap units that look very effective. They will shine best in close combat where they can use their Blastas more effectively. Or they're cheap enough to be sacrificed if need be.

x2 Kommando - 110
Shoota

With his BS3, I they are the best choice to use the Shoota. That gives them about half a chance to hit anything! They'll try to deploy high on top of buildings to shoot at juicy targets like officers. The enemy will either have to take time out to deal with them, or ignore them. T4 in heavy cover will be tough to root out.

That all comes up to roughly 700 credits if I did my math right. It was hard to get enough units in there without neglecting good equipment. That's 10 guys in there already, which I think is pretty good. I already have the maximum number of heroes, so I tried to get cheaper recruits. I also wanted to play it a little safe with this list, to slowly work myself in. That's why I opted for Kommandos for more long range support. The heavy hitting stuff lies with my Nob and 'Ard Boyz.

So what do you think of my list so far? I'm working on partly to use options that are useful, and partly for my models to look cool. XD
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

My first Ork list Empty
PostSubject: Re: My first Ork list   My first Ork list I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2009 7:27 am

Hmmm... there are some 'little things' on your list... but I have no time. I will post back in 2-3 hours (its 6:20am!) when I'm more coherent. Just Kidding

WAAAGH!
Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

My first Ork list Empty
PostSubject: Re: My first Ork list   My first Ork list I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2009 10:28 am

TWO Hours on the DOT!!! It's 8:21am... yeah baby!

OK. The current rules indicate that you can not get any Rare items during initial recruitment. Now, and check the Rare Items Thread, there is a suggestion that in a campaign players may agree that they could buy Rare 5 items (or less) with no problems. You decide what is best for you. Smile

Remember, that you don't need to model your final product. My Ork Nob was magnetized, and Dozer made 2 models to represent the initial IR Commander and the 'corrupt' IR Commander. VERY cool!

eternaldream wrote:
Nob - 137
Power Klaw
Kustom Blasta
Helmet
Iron Gob
I tried to kit him out with more expensive stuff since he gets discounted. I gave him the Power Klaw for some hard hitting punch. Plus the Blasta, because he can use both in close combat, right? He gets d3 for the PK, and 1 more with the pistol?
Technically you are correct, Sir! Wink He would get his attacks (as the attribute) with his primary weapon (the Power Klaw) and one attack with his secondary weapon (the Kustom Blasta.) Now, for recruitment, the Power Klaw is Rare 9, so you can't buy one (regardless if you house-rule the purchase of Rare items as suggested above.) This is done on purpose! The initial Squad should feel underpowered... that way when you get the Power Klaw you get the sense that your Nob is gaining more power. You could get him a Mesh Armor... so he would have a 5+ Save (+ the helmet protection.) For close combat, I would stick with the cheaper Choppa.

eternaldream wrote:
Weirdboy - 78
Choppa
Shoota
He just doesn't seem very reliable with his 1/3 chance of hurting himself. I don't quite understand when his psychic powers work. Do all of his powers go off during the declaring charges phase? He has some spells that affect movement, and others that shoot. So do they all go off right before movement then? Meaning he can move and shoot with a weapon if he took a -1 check on his psychic power? So I just gave him some basic equipment to help him kill stuff to gain experience.
I agree that the section was not explained well. The new changes on Psykic Powers on TLRB v0.4.0 would make this more clear (and safer for him!) I had my Weirdboy armed with an auto-pistol (back in the day when they could use them) and I NEVER fired a shot! I would save the money of the Shoota and use it on more Boyz!

eternaldream wrote:
Sneaky Boss - 96
Choppa
Kustom Blasta
Helmet
This guy is going to try to get in close via infiltration and get into close combat. He'll try to harass the enemy from afar, unless he can pick off a straggler. Being an officer, he will get 2A in close combat with his Blasta and Choppa, so I think that is the best position for him.
AHHHHHH!!!!! My favorite unit! My Sneaky Boos, Werzzhim, was the best! Check his adventures on this thread! At the end of the campaign, he was equipped with an 'Eldar Head-Bucket' (Helmet), an 'Eldar Skinny Motor Choppa' (Chainsword), an 'Imperial Sticky Shirt' (Mesh Armor) and an 'Imperial Boom Stick' (Shotgun)... all from "Captured enemies"! Anyhow, this is a VERY versatile unit. Your plan is sound... and the fact that he could get IG gear is super! He could actually become a Sniper! He can learn the Weapon Training, Sniper skill and buy a Sniper Rifle (although more expensive.) I would suggest getting him a Mesh Armor. Take care of him, and he will take care of your Boyz.

eternaldream wrote:
2x 'Ard Boyz - 144
Big Choppas
Helmet
These guys will just run at full speed towards the enemy and try to get into close combat, ducking in and out of cover. Or hiding behind the other Boyz.
Not bad... remember that Big Choppas are slow weapons. They suffer from Strike Last because they are two handed. Since this guys are Officers, I would suggest changing the Big Choppa for regular Choppas and getting some armor. You need Officers to survive so they can search during the Exploration Phase and make you some money!

eternaldream wrote:
3x Ork Boyz - 144
Blasta
Some cheap units that look very effective. They will shine best in close combat where they can use their Blastas more effectively. Or they're cheap enough to be sacrificed if need be.
Yup! This guys are weebles... you can put them down with that T4! I like your idea of Blastas. I had mine with Choppas, since they can shot the ground withat BS two and were always Running towards the enemy! WAAAGH! If you use Choppas, you save 24 credits... almost another Boy. Hell, don't equip them at all (FIST FIGHT!) and save 54 credits... almost TWO more Boyz! Just Kidding

eternaldream wrote:
x2 Kommando - 110
Shoota
With his BS3, I they are the best choice to use the Shoota. That gives them about half a chance to hit anything! They'll try to deploy high on top of buildings to shoot at juicy targets like officers. The enemy will either have to take time out to deal with them, or ignore them. T4 in heavy cover will be tough to root out.
I agree! Its seems to be a good plan. Combined with the Sneaky Boss they will provide a nice (AND SCARY) diversion... so the rest of the Boyz can catch up!

eternaldream wrote:
That all comes up to roughly 700 credits if I did my math right. It was hard to get enough units in there without neglecting good equipment. That's 10 guys in there already, which I think is pretty good. I already have the maximum number of heroes, so I tried to get cheaper recruits. I also wanted to play it a little safe with this list, to slowly work myself in. That's why I opted for Kommandos for more long range support. The heavy hitting stuff lies with my Nob and 'Ard Boyz. So what do you think of my list so far? I'm working on partly to use options that are useful, and partly for my models to look cool. XD
Seems like a good Squad! The removal of the Power Klaw and the Blastas for the Boyz would give you 3 more Boyz! That way you avoid the Routing. You can always get equipment later... and when you do it feels like an advancement! Smile

Good luck... let us know about your campaign and models!

PS: Its 9:28am... right on time!
Back to top Go down
eternaldream

My first Ork list Empty
PostSubject: Re: My first Ork list   My first Ork list I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2009 11:25 am

All right, thanks for the imput. Here's my revised list then.

Nob - 91
Choppa
Blasta
Helmet

Weirdboy - 60
Choppa

Sneaky Boss - 78
Choppa
Blasta

2x 'Ard Boyz - 116
Choppa
Blasta

5x Ork Boyz - 240
Blasta

x2 Kommando - 110
Shoota

So that gives me 12 Boyz now, which would up my rout test to 3 models now.
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

My first Ork list Empty
PostSubject: Re: My first Ork list   My first Ork list I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2009 11:44 am

Very nice! I would suggest (for later advancements)
  • Buy a WAAAGH! Banner... is not as good as having the Skill, but you can mess people up quicker. Smile Also, once your Nob get the Skill, you can give the Banner to an Officer... so if the Bob falls, you could still call upon the raw power of WAAAAGH!
  • If you guys decide no rare items at the 1st of campaign (as is intended), I would suggest Mesh Armor instead of Helmets... then get the head-buckets as quick as possible.
  • Lucky Charms do help alot!
  • Orks are very 'equipment independent', so don't expect to change their gear much... maybe some Officers could get Kustom Blastas... but not much at this point.
  • Gretchins are your friends! The little buggers (even with their hilarious Grot Blastas) are awesome! Use them as CHEAP cannon fodders! Have 'em run in front, Boyz behind and Officers behind Boyz. Oppenent at the same (ground) level HAVE to shot the Grots... then the Boyz... then the Officers. Twisted Evil Gretchins do get lucky from time to time... ask Dozer about my Grots killing his 'close combat monster' in hand to hand!
  • Get a Painboy! Medics are strategically important.
  • Killa-Kanz are fun, fun, fun!
Back to top Go down
eternaldream

My first Ork list Empty
PostSubject: Re: My first Ork list   My first Ork list I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 20, 2009 9:50 pm

Cool. Thanks for the suggestions. I'm only playing with what I have available now (so no gretchin yet). I just got my ample supply of cities of death terrain in the mail today, so I'm going to be working on that for the next few days. Huzzah.
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

My first Ork list Empty
PostSubject: Re: My first Ork list   My first Ork list I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 21, 2009 2:53 am

Remember... Mordheimer loves pictures of minis and terrain! *grin*
Back to top Go down
eternaldream

My first Ork list Empty
PostSubject: Re: My first Ork list   My first Ork list I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 21, 2009 11:54 am

It's coming... don't worry. And it's going to be great!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

My first Ork list Empty
PostSubject: Re: My first Ork list   My first Ork list I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My first Ork list
Page 1 of 1