Death Squads Game Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

DS / Space Hulk terrain?

Go down 
+5
Gatlag Stonetooth
Narcissus
Mordheimer
ClausLars
Komfritten
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Komfritten

Komfritten

DS / Space Hulk terrain? Empty
PostSubject: DS / Space Hulk terrain?   DS / Space Hulk terrain? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 4:48 am

I was sitting looking at space hulk, and just wanted to make the board "for real"... I think DS could be played rather well in a Space Hulk, especially if its more like Nasissus' terrain, than the original SH tiles.

I was thinking in lines of making bigger rooms, larger corridors (on top of the original tiles, which needs to be there too) and 2 levels ( a tile could have walkways for example).

Think I'll try to mesh something up tonight (gmt +1) and post here Wink'

I think the close quaters in a space hulk could add something to DS. A stationary Heavy Stubber could sudeenly be even more devastating - and writing scenarious with "random" genestealers and so forth could be awsome. Its DS in space! not just Mordheim in space! Wink
Back to top Go down
ClausLars

PostSubject: Re: DS / Space Hulk terrain?   DS / Space Hulk terrain? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 5:37 am

After the incredible job you did on the Town of Novac I can't wait to see how this turns out. I'd kill to have played even a single game on such quality terrain.
Back to top Go down
Komfritten

Komfritten

PostSubject: Re: DS / Space Hulk terrain?   DS / Space Hulk terrain? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 5:42 am

Hehe thank you! I yet have to finish that Emperor forsaken town! But It will be done! By throne it will be done!
Back to top Go down
ClausLars

PostSubject: Re: DS / Space Hulk terrain?   DS / Space Hulk terrain? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 5:49 am

Heh, I was torn between posting to say "Don't forsake Novac," and saying "Screw Novac I want DS Space Hulk!"

I think you're right though, it would be a great atmosphere for DS especially when they release the hinted at Close Quarters Combat supplement.

It would be a great spot for a campaign. Since a space hulk is the end result of mashing a bunch of giant ships together there are bound to be plenty of "holds" that are effectively open sky, some might even have small settlements built in them. Some games could use the tunnels/rooms and I think you're right that bigger road sized pieces would work well combined with more classically sized tiles. Other games might use terrain more like Necromunda's underhive stuff.
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: DS / Space Hulk terrain?   DS / Space Hulk terrain? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 8:26 am

Well... if you want my opinion on Death Squads on Space Hulk tiles, read THIS POST. Don't worry... I wait.

waiting....

Done? Great! We ALWAYS wanted to do Fighting in Close Quarters (FiCQ)! I would LOVE to see what you can come up with. Like ClausLars, I'm afraid of encouraging you any further, for fear of not seeing Novac! Just Kidding
Back to top Go down
http://www.DeathSquadsGame.com
Narcissus

Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: DS / Space Hulk terrain?   DS / Space Hulk terrain? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 1:30 pm

If you haven't seen it before then you must check out the Sin of Alacracity. I love it. I would love to build and play on a board like this. I've been thinking of doing something similar on my urban board but just haven't had the time and I worry about the storage space.

A Gentleman's Ones campaign (There are lots of pictures on the blog of the creator)

DS / Space Hulk terrain? 0-00

DS / Space Hulk terrain? 7-1

This table is unreal. It looks so cool to play on.

I am interested to see your take on this project. I think one of the challenging aspects is that you need to build most of a table for it to work. Good luck!
Back to top Go down
http://rustandthecity.blogspot.com/
Komfritten

Komfritten

PostSubject: Re: DS / Space Hulk terrain?   DS / Space Hulk terrain? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm

Here's some WiP's. I decided to make the walls thick (1.5cm) and the squares 3 cm across to make more room for the minis. You can see the little CSM w/o head for measurement. I also made it possible to insert blast doors, making room for some interesting scenarios / situations. "GET THIS DOOR OPEN!" "But I'm no tech marine?!"...

Here goes:

DS / Space Hulk terrain? 2011-12-06%2021.55.09

DS / Space Hulk terrain? 2011-12-06%2021.58.34

DS / Space Hulk terrain? 2011-12-06%2023.02.33

DS / Space Hulk terrain? 2011-12-06%2023.03.57
Back to top Go down
Komfritten

Komfritten

PostSubject: Re: DS / Space Hulk terrain?   DS / Space Hulk terrain? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 7:01 pm

And with some more details:

DS / Space Hulk terrain? 2011-12-06%2023.58.54

Think this one is done now... But I'm unsure of the building material. I want to add some structure, but it would come out as a mix of concrete and steel... steelcrete?... I donno...
Back to top Go down
ClausLars

PostSubject: Re: DS / Space Hulk terrain?   DS / Space Hulk terrain? I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 06, 2011 10:47 pm

You know...it just isn't fair how quickly your ideas move from musings to tangible products. You're literally a terrain making machine. Great start so far.
Back to top Go down
Narcissus

Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: DS / Space Hulk terrain?   DS / Space Hulk terrain? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 3:01 am

Interesting idea with the doors. I have some plans in my head for a similar set up with removable doors. I think a key to making a good, playable hulk is to add a realistic amount of details. The super detailed ones I have seen haven't gotten beyond a few tiles. The Sin of Alacracity is a good example of this. There is detail, but every surface is not covered with details.
Back to top Go down
Komfritten

Komfritten

PostSubject: Re: DS / Space Hulk terrain?   DS / Space Hulk terrain? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 5:04 am

I was thinking... In DS, playing on a terrain like Space Hulk "tiles" some of the height advantages would dissapear, but looking through Narcissus thread (.here) I thought I could just add "levels" via walkways and such. I think it just might work.

More pictures comming up soon - painting as I write (or rather waiting for paint to dry)

Last edited by Komfritten on Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Komfritten

Komfritten

PostSubject: Re: DS / Space Hulk terrain?   DS / Space Hulk terrain? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 5:36 am

Here's some more WiP's. Have painted the bulk / wall with a mix of grey and green. Think I'll make a darker green for the next piece, but I don't know yet...

Need to weather the stripes (made them in photoshop and printed), but they need some "purity seal" first (I really like the name - It sounds like something the Emperor would agree upon).

Here it is:

DS / Space Hulk terrain? 2011-12-07%2010.28.54

DS / Space Hulk terrain? 2011-12-07%2010.29.06

DS / Space Hulk terrain? 2011-12-07%2010.29.42

You are very welcome to comment and provide critisism / ideas Very Happy

(I'm looking for ways to improve the "metal" feel of the walls... I'm looking at you Narcissus, and in your terrain thread... Any pointers? The thought was that the structure on the walls (sand) should be rusted metal. So I'll look though you post for rust effects (you have a lot hehe) but do you have something on the top of your mind?)
Back to top Go down
Komfritten

Komfritten

PostSubject: Re: DS / Space Hulk terrain?   DS / Space Hulk terrain? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 9:46 am

Think I'll leave this one as this, and consider it a prototype to work from.

DS / Space Hulk terrain? 2011-12-07%2014.36.37

DS / Space Hulk terrain? 2011-12-07%2014.37.02

And sketched up to new tiles:

DS / Space Hulk terrain? 2011-12-07%2014.42.09

DS / Space Hulk terrain? 2011-12-07%2014.42.17
Back to top Go down
Gatlag Stonetooth

Gatlag Stonetooth

PostSubject: Re: DS / Space Hulk terrain?   DS / Space Hulk terrain? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 9:54 am

Man you're fast! Like what I'm seeing! Keep up the goods!
Back to top Go down
Komfritten

Komfritten

PostSubject: Re: DS / Space Hulk terrain?   DS / Space Hulk terrain? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 11:06 am

The walls are ready - the outlined squares inside the room is for some machinery of some sorts:

DS / Space Hulk terrain? 2011-12-07%2016.02.25
Back to top Go down
Komfritten

Komfritten

PostSubject: Re: DS / Space Hulk terrain?   DS / Space Hulk terrain? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 11:32 am

And the last update today, got to go rehearse with the band... somehow I'm not that motivated right now... but heck, I'll build on tomorrow - feels so nice to be building again =)

DS / Space Hulk terrain? 2011-12-07%2016.28.46

The servitors are as BUILD for this piece =)
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: DS / Space Hulk terrain?   DS / Space Hulk terrain? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 11:38 am

I need help.... the walls! How you make them textured?

I'm NOT going to complement your GOD-LIKE work. No matter how awesome it is. And forget me mentioning that you are capable of THINKING terrain and it magically appears. Screw that! You get no praise from this fan boy!

Last edited by Mordheimer on Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Komfritten

Komfritten

PostSubject: Re: DS / Space Hulk terrain?   DS / Space Hulk terrain? I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 07, 2011 12:29 pm

Acrylic paint 60% pva glue 30% water 10% add sand and paint with stabbing brush motions.:-)
Back to top Go down
Komfritten

Komfritten

PostSubject: Re: DS / Space Hulk terrain?   DS / Space Hulk terrain? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 08, 2011 4:36 pm

Going on with the next piece. I can really imagine something creepy comming up through that big pipe!

DS / Space Hulk terrain? 2011-12-08%2020.50.30

DS / Space Hulk terrain? 2011-12-08%2020.50.58
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer

Mordheimer

PostSubject: Re: DS / Space Hulk terrain?   DS / Space Hulk terrain? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 08, 2011 6:35 pm

This is FANTASTIC!!! The speed you have to build terrain is... unparalleled!
Back to top Go down
Komfritten

Komfritten

PostSubject: Re: DS / Space Hulk terrain?   DS / Space Hulk terrain? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 08, 2011 6:43 pm

More WiP's:

The newest, need to think up some content for it:

DS / Space Hulk terrain? 2011-12-08%2023.37.51

And an overview of the whole shabang;

DS / Space Hulk terrain? 2011-12-08%2023.38.11

And Narcissus, this is easy storage:

DS / Space Hulk terrain? 2011-12-08%2023.39.15

But, ok, it does not fit into eachother...
Back to top Go down
Lazi

Lazi

PostSubject: Re: DS / Space Hulk terrain?   DS / Space Hulk terrain? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 08, 2011 6:59 pm

This is indeed amazing. Such speed and quality together- WOW!

For the last piece maybe some sort of warehouse? Or armory with shelves with weapons on one wall (the one you marked already)... Or maybe some control room with terminals on one side?
Back to top Go down
Narcissus

Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: DS / Space Hulk terrain?   DS / Space Hulk terrain? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 08, 2011 7:22 pm

Komfritten, I really wish we lived in the same town. I really want to build a hulk like this, but don't want to build all of it myself. We could make some nice collaborative work. I love the look of the servitor coming through the corridor. Lots of character!

I really like how you kept the painting fairly simple as it will be easier to replicate over a large set and keep a nice consistent feel. I really looks grimy and weathered. I approve!

When I add paper bits like the hazard stripes I just paint a quick coat of watered down PVA (white glue) over it, let that dry, and then sponge on the weathering.

I think I know what you are looking for for the metal. Here is an example from one of my pieces. I think this is what you said you are looking for.

DS / Space Hulk terrain? IMG_0053

The metal for the grey and the green bit are painted exactly the same.

1. I basecoated it (grey for one, green for the other).
2. I painted some large areas dark brown using a sponge. These are the areas where most of the corrosion will be in the future. You could use a sponge or roughly stipple with a big old brush. You want big, splotchy areas here.
3. Over the dark brown patches I stippled (apply with a sponge or brush in a "dabbing" manner) some vomit brown and bestial brown (for rust) and large areas of boltgun metal for exposed metal areas.

I found that having the corrosion and metal mostly go inside the brown, chipped areas gave a more realistic effect.

This is a really fast and easy method to use that gives decent results. It might be a bit tricky with the thick texture on your walls and the darker base color you have. I hope this helps and is what you were looking for.
Back to top Go down
Komfritten

Komfritten

PostSubject: Re: DS / Space Hulk terrain?   DS / Space Hulk terrain? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 08, 2011 7:28 pm

That was exactly what I was looking for!!! Thank you =)

And I must admit I thought the same thought about the building hehe, trying to talk my friends indto building, but it just doesn't work unfortunately ...

I think, again whats with the thinking(!?), that you are right with the rough textures on the walls, but I could praobably just tone it down (had thought of that allready) so it gets a more rusted metal look, rather than concrete walls. And the colour scheme can be changed easliy, it's just painting over.

Nice tip on the pva glue (why didn't I think of that!), really saves money on the Purity Seal, and is way more easy to apply to the hard-to-reach places.
Back to top Go down
Narcissus

Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: DS / Space Hulk terrain?   DS / Space Hulk terrain? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 08, 2011 8:00 pm

These look great. I am really impressed with how fast they are coming together.

Some things I had been considering when I was planning to build a set of these (I still am, promise!):

1. I was thinking that you could build some smaller rooms that nest inside the larger rooms for storage. For example, you have a big room, you make a smaller room that fits inside and is 1/4" shorter so you can put it upside down inside the larger room and minimize the storage space.

2. I think for gameplay you will want a few wider doors. The narrow doors are nice, but they will become a major bottleneck in game. Having some of them wider would be good. You could always build a piece that inserts where the doors go to narrow wider doors to the width of your narrower doors so all pieces can still line up.

3. You need some corridors too! In my opinion. You can also add corridors and things and have open board space that the models run around on too if you add some paint and minor details to the outside.

4. I really like having large platforms for my regular boards. If you paint the outside and bottom of the base then you can have some urban hills (when you put the doors in too) for your regular scenery. (Normal way up, you have inside of a space hulk, flipped over the other way you have an urban hill with closed doors).

Just some different rambling ideas. Not sure if they are explained very well though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DS / Space Hulk terrain?   DS / Space Hulk terrain? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

DS / Space Hulk terrain?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next