Death Squads Game Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Official Community of the Fan-Made 40k Skirmish Wargame Death Squads!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Laney's First Sedition Wars Mini - Vanguard

Go down 
+2
Narcissus
Laney
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Laney

Laney

Laney's First Sedition Wars Mini - Vanguard Empty
PostSubject: Laney's First Sedition Wars Mini - Vanguard   Laney's First Sedition Wars Mini - Vanguard I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2013 4:14 am

So, I finally, got my biohazard box (they didn't send it out because I hadn't clicked the final confirm button ont he Pledge Manager - but it arrived in 3 days after I had - oh well).
I've cleaned up 5 of the miniatures in the set, 1 female and male samaritan, kara black, corpsman vade and a samaritan with reaver. First thought, beautifully detailed, second thought... those mould lines look horrible (really nasty and in all the wrong places to clean up), third thought... this restic stuff holds the detail beautifully, but the holds the mouldlines even better. I may need to (shudder) accept one or two lines making it through.
Anyway...
Here is the first one up (I drew the colour scheme from what I remember of the Haqqaislam line from Infinity - Sand coloured armour, with dark brown detail and green glowing bits (I didn't do OSL on this one).
Laney's First Sedition Wars Mini - Vanguard P1010310
Laney's First Sedition Wars Mini - Vanguard P1010311
Laney's First Sedition Wars Mini - Vanguard P1010312
Laney's First Sedition Wars Mini - Vanguard P1010313
Laney's First Sedition Wars Mini - Vanguard P1010314
Thoughts Welcome!
Laney
Back to top Go down
Narcissus

Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: Laney's First Sedition Wars Mini - Vanguard   Laney's First Sedition Wars Mini - Vanguard I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2013 3:11 pm

Looks good. I like the highlights on the armour and the green visor. The pose of the model looks very good.

It might just be the pics, but the grey of the gun doesn't contrast much with the grey of the armour. In my opinion, it might look a bit sharper if you did the gun a bit darker to increase the contrast. It might just be the flash washing them out a bit though.

I like your idea of painting them like the haqqaislam. I had thought about doing the same so I could try some infinity.
Back to top Go down
http://rustandthecity.blogspot.com/
rhuntar

rhuntar

PostSubject: Re: Laney's First Sedition Wars Mini - Vanguard   Laney's First Sedition Wars Mini - Vanguard I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2013 5:03 pm

Glad you finally got your set. This looks really great! I really like the way the green and blue seem to pop against the lighter armor. Very impressive.
Back to top Go down
https://twitter.com/Oftheninefinger
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Laney's First Sedition Wars Mini - Vanguard   Laney's First Sedition Wars Mini - Vanguard I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2013 6:02 pm

Thanks for the feedback gents - how have you found your own Sedition Wars Sets?
I'll see if I can get a few more done over the half term holidays.
Cheers Laney
Back to top Go down
Narcissus

Narcissus

PostSubject: Re: Laney's First Sedition Wars Mini - Vanguard   Laney's First Sedition Wars Mini - Vanguard I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2013 7:05 pm

I haven't painted anything yet. I am not too excited about it after reading a lot of very negative reviews. I've been thinking about selling it, but I think I will keep the biohazard extras to paint up.

Have you played at all? Looking forward to seeing some more models.
Back to top Go down
http://rustandthecity.blogspot.com/
rhuntar

rhuntar

PostSubject: Re: Laney's First Sedition Wars Mini - Vanguard   Laney's First Sedition Wars Mini - Vanguard I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 16, 2013 10:38 pm

I had a blast assembling mine; Since I had the boiling water going to reform a couple of warped minis I ended up doing a bunch of bendy conversions on many of my strain models. The Scythe Witch especially was easy to repose.

I've walked myself through a couple test games. My biggest impression is that it's not a board game. Its a miniatures war game that happens to take place on a board.

The D6g guys did pretty enthusiastic review on their podcast. In my mind i'll be keeping it because I don't play many of the games I own anyways, I've had to start to consider myself a model collector. And, I think of it as a transitionary game. If I do get some friends into playing board games, and they'd like to see how they like mini games, its got enough 'crunch' to the rules to suit that purpose. I'd love to get some good games in with tabletop gamers, but will probably try and play whatever tabletop game their into first...

I'm especially looking forward to the next batch of models, I went pretty hog wild on the extras.
Back to top Go down
https://twitter.com/Oftheninefinger
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Laney's First Sedition Wars Mini - Vanguard   Laney's First Sedition Wars Mini - Vanguard I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2013 3:14 am

I've not played a game yet (or even had a proper look at the rules). For me, this was a way of getting lots of cool minis (with a game as a bonus). I'm most excited about the extras too - then I'll have the minis for a new squad, plus some ace painting projects.
What I'm really interested in is what McVey does next in order to expand the line (though they need to work quick before the Warzone Ressurection kickstarter gets me).
Laney
Back to top Go down
lakedaimonioi

lakedaimonioi

PostSubject: Re: Laney's First Sedition Wars Mini - Vanguard   Laney's First Sedition Wars Mini - Vanguard I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 17, 2013 8:49 am

I've played a little and really like it!

The rules look a bit like they were rushed out and could do with some tweaking in revision (in particular they are poorly laid out, but someone on the forums has put together play aids that help a lot), but from what I've played so far (introductory scenarios only; I've not used the scenario generator yet) the scenarios are objective based, with each side having their own objective that is unrelated to the objective of the opponent - which adds a tactical element missing in a lot of skirmish games; you need to be aware of what your opponent's objective is and try to foil it while simultaneously pursuing your own objective; sounds pretty basic and intuitive, but how many games end up with two sides just trying to kill the other guy's little men?
Back to top Go down
Gatlag Stonetooth

Gatlag Stonetooth

PostSubject: Re: Laney's First Sedition Wars Mini - Vanguard   Laney's First Sedition Wars Mini - Vanguard I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2013 9:46 am

Looking sweet Laney! I also like the base, did you create it yourself or does it come with the model?
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Laney's First Sedition Wars Mini - Vanguard   Laney's First Sedition Wars Mini - Vanguard I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2013 2:19 pm

Cheers Gatlag - It comes with the model - the bases are top notch, along with the miniatures.
Back to top Go down
Gatlag Stonetooth

Gatlag Stonetooth

PostSubject: Re: Laney's First Sedition Wars Mini - Vanguard   Laney's First Sedition Wars Mini - Vanguard I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 18, 2013 3:45 pm

Ah k, that's nice! Most of the times you'll have to build them yourself or buy some from 3rd parties.
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Laney's First Sedition Wars Mini - Vanguard   Laney's First Sedition Wars Mini - Vanguard I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 20, 2013 6:36 pm

And I've done a second vanguard: I think I might be some time with these...
Laney's First Sedition Wars Mini - Vanguard P1010315
Laney's First Sedition Wars Mini - Vanguard P1010316
Laney's First Sedition Wars Mini - Vanguard P1010317
Laney's First Sedition Wars Mini - Vanguard P1010318
Laney
Back to top Go down
Gatlag Stonetooth

Gatlag Stonetooth

PostSubject: Re: Laney's First Sedition Wars Mini - Vanguard   Laney's First Sedition Wars Mini - Vanguard I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2013 5:14 am

Darn sweet bro!
I love the "data effect" in the visors.
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Laney's First Sedition Wars Mini - Vanguard   Laney's First Sedition Wars Mini - Vanguard I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2013 9:40 am

Thanks Gatlag - I'm going to continue to experiment with the data effect (not sure about the white targeting device on the female). I think I'll try minor changes on each miniature, but try to keep them looking like a cohesive whole (more like veterans of a unit, with their own minor variations).
I shouldn't have highlighted the female belt so much and I think the weapon on the male looks better (lighter grey, washed with black rather than dark grey, sharp highlighted). I've also missed the battle damage off the female armour (I'll add these tonight).
The next up is Morgan Vade (the medic). I'm going for blue 'officer' uniforms, but will keep the bases the same (which is probably my favourite part of the whole set).
Cheers Laney Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Gatlag Stonetooth

Gatlag Stonetooth

PostSubject: Re: Laney's First Sedition Wars Mini - Vanguard   Laney's First Sedition Wars Mini - Vanguard I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 21, 2013 1:23 pm

Hmm indeed the white targeting isn't that great, didn't notice that one the first time. I like the yellowish variant much better!
Back to top Go down
Matt12z

Matt12z

PostSubject: Re: Laney's First Sedition Wars Mini - Vanguard   Laney's First Sedition Wars Mini - Vanguard I_icon_minitimeTue May 21, 2013 4:20 am

Hey,

Any more updates on this? Was loving the models that you were painting!

Matt
Back to top Go down
Laney

Laney

PostSubject: Re: Laney's First Sedition Wars Mini - Vanguard   Laney's First Sedition Wars Mini - Vanguard I_icon_minitimeThu May 23, 2013 6:16 pm

Nothing extra to see here yet (been very busy!) - but I do have half term coming up so we'll see.
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Matt12z

Matt12z

PostSubject: Re: Laney's First Sedition Wars Mini - Vanguard   Laney's First Sedition Wars Mini - Vanguard I_icon_minitimeSat May 25, 2013 11:16 am

w00t! Look forwards to seeing how it develops.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Laney's First Sedition Wars Mini - Vanguard   Laney's First Sedition Wars Mini - Vanguard I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Laney's First Sedition Wars Mini - Vanguard
Page 1 of 1